• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What everyday items are worth spending extra on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonky

So I bought a Pentel Graph Gear 1000, which is basically the gold standard as far as mechanical pencils go. It cost me nearly $20 with shipping (for one pencil..) but the thing writes like a charm. It has good weight to it, grips well, and has an overall great feel. I don't think I'll be able to go back to my BIC mechanical pencils after using this.
pg1017c.png
What other everyday items are worth spending more money on?

Fugu

I came to this thread to post "a mechanical pencil." I certainly did not expect it to be in the OP.

If you do any amount of writing even something like a Kuru Toga makes such a big difference and it's like $8.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have 2 rules:

No matter how poor you are, margarine is never worth it over butter.
Never buy cheap toilet paper .

Chris R

Underwear.

I got a few pairs that retail for $30 but I was able to snag for about $15.

They are great. Awesome airflow that keeps things not swampy, totally worth it. Much better than the $2 pairs I normally wear.

jwk94

Underwear.

I got a few pairs that retail for $30 but I was able to snag for about $15.

They are great. Awesome airflow that keeps things not swampy, totally worth it. Much better than the $2 pairs I normally wear.

I didn't even know they sold $2 pairs. Boxers and such are usually expensive. Speaking of which, does anyone have Airism boxer briefs from Uniqlo?

Boots.

Don't go cheap on your boots if you have the opportunities not to.

They will become one of your favorite things you own.

That, and a leather jacket. Everyone should own a really nice leather jacket they can pass down to their kids.

Wood Man

Toilet Paper - My mom buys the cheap crap (or I think the jacks it from work) So every time I visit I dread taking a dump.

MGrant

Work shoes are one I have to back as well. You need arch support, durability, and slip resistance is a big plus.

Audio/video tech is one for me, computer hardware included. You don't have to go bleeding edge, but there's a world of difference between entry-level stuff and more premium products, in terms of quality and longevity.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you do any cooking at all, expensive knives. They take longer to dull and can be resharpened many times, lasting you a life time.

definitely toilet paper...a cut up asshole is one of the most uncomfortable things ever. shoes are a good thing to spend money on as well, your feet are so important.

also, if you like to workout, a good investment are Bluetooth headphones with a long charge and good sound.

Disxo

I was thinking frames, if you get an expensive one, your glasses are comfortable as fuck, even better If you have to wear them everyday.

molotrok

Boots.

Don't go cheap on your boots if you have the opportunities not to.

They will become one of your favorite things you own.

That, and a leather jacket. Everyone should own a really nice leather jacket they can pass down to their kids.

I agree on the boots part. I bought some Redwings for work, but after a few weeks I liked them so much I stopped using them exclusively for work and started wearing them casually. Two years later I still wear them often, and they arent tattered to bits like a most boots would be.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I agree on the boots part. I bought some Redwings for work, but after a few weeks I liked them so much I stopped using them exclusively for work and started wearing them casually. Two years later I still wear them often, and they arent tattered to bits like a most boots would be.

Not sure if all stores do this, but mine is free leather conditioning/weather proofing and laces for life. I have not had a pair of shoes under the red wing "wing' and not be satisfied.

Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, nice F-C fountain pen. If it's something I handle or interact with every day, I try to make it a nice one.

Famassu

Everything? When you buy cheap, someone/something is usually suffering, whether that's the quality of what you're buying, supporting (almost) slave-level labour in agriculture, the environment being crapped on (even worse) or children making your clothes, this "WE NEED TO GO CHEAPER" attitude is very damaging on all fronts. Of course I understand if someone is poor, they'll want to search for stuff they can afford. Even then (being fairly poor myself), I'd rather buy a good pair of shoes for 100+€ that might last me years vs. buying cheap-o shoes for 15-20€ that'll last me 4-12 months.

lovelyperson

Neo Member
Surge protectors. If you value your electronics, you don't want to go with a cheap "surge protector". Cheap surge protectors sound fine right until they don't actually protect your stuff.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Everything? When you buy cheap, someone/something is usually suffering, whether that's the quality of what you're buying, supporting slave-like labour in agriculture, the environment being crapped on (even worse) or children making your clothes, this "WE NEED TO GO CHEAPER" attitude is very damaging on all fronts.

I agree with this for the most part.

There's definitely a degree of diminishing returns with pretty much everything, but things I splurge on...

humanely sourced proteins
shoes
umbrella
wallet
bags and leather goods
internet speed
coats/jackets
chairs
toothpaste and toothbrush
towels and linens

etc, etc.

Groof

I came to this thread to post "a mechanical pencil." I certainly did not expect it to be in the OP.

If you do any amount of writing even something like a Kuru Toga makes such a big difference and it's like $8.

The Kuru Toga is great. Only issue I have with it is that it's a bit too light and slippery. Can't complain too much for the price though

devilhawk

Everyone is talking about the nameless toilet paper brands, right? I thought the grocery store in-house brand from Kroger or Safeway are pretty comparable.

I love how dedicated GAF is to mechanical pencils.

OTC cough syrup. Cheap brands are horrible.

Definitely pillows and shoes. I agree with those. As for keyboard and mouse, I'd say it's more important to find what works for you than it is to necessarily spend more money, but you may spend more money trying different products until you DO find what works. When they discontinued my favorite mouse, I bought FOUR to test and two I couldn't return. :( But it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom