• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chitown B

Amazon's Galaxy Quest Revival Finds New Life With Writer Paul Scheer
http://tvline.com/2017/08/17/galaxy-quest-revival-amazon-paul-scheer/
Just don't know if it is still necessary now that Rickman is dead and Allen is a creep.

The Jetsons Live-Action Sitcom From Robert Zemeckis Lands at ABC
http://tvline.com/2017/08/17/the-jetsons-reboot-abc-live-action-sitcom-robert-zemeckis/
This will either be cheap and bad, or expensive and cancelled. Maybe both.

I'm still crushed about Rickman, and really bummed the way Allen has turned out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone have a Seeso subscription or trial they could use to verify something for me? I've subscribed via Amazon Prime add-ons to be able to record some of the stuff I don't think they're going to be able to find a new home for. The show "Flulanthropy" is just listed as being a single episode on Amazon. Does the Seeso.com version have additional episodes or is that it? The landing page makes it seem like that's it, but I wanted to be sure.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone have a Seeso subscription or trial they could use to verify something for me? I've subscribed via Amazon Prime add-ons to be able to record some of the stuff I don't think they're going to be able to find a new home for. The show "Flulanthropy" is just listed as being a single episode on Amazon. Does the Seeso.com version have additional episodes or is that it? The landing page makes it seem like that's it, but I wanted to be sure.

It looks like it might just be one episode: https://www.seeso.com/view/series/flulanthropy

ZeroX03

Banned
Haha I couldn't get on Seeso via VPN so I had to subscribe through Amazon and a VPN. I'm also trying to salvage a few things that are likely to be lost.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On the subject of summer shows, Somewhere Between might be the worst network television series I've ever seen. There are no words to explain how poor the craftsmanship is. Tonally inappropriate music, nonsense plot twists, terrible histrionic acting (Devon Sawa is still alive and not in jail????), completely implausible premise, dreadful editing -- the slow-mo scene of a cell phone being dropped to the floor -- it's never obvious what time of day it is or how much time has passed. I recommend you don't look up the premise so that when the premise reveals itself you can appreciate just how bad this is.

My wife wondered, aloud, "Is this the first television show randomly generated by a computer?"

On the subject of summer shows, Somewhere Between might be the worst network television series I've ever seen. There are no words to explain how poor the craftsmanship is. Tonally inappropriate music, nonsense plot twists, terrible histrionic acting (Devon Sawa is still alive and not in jail????), completely implausible premise, dreadful editing -- the slow-mo scene of a cell phone being dropped to the floor -- it's never obvious what time of day it is or how much time has passed. I recommend you don't look up the premise so that when the premise reveals itself you can appreciate just how bad this is.

My wife wondered, aloud, "Is this the first television show randomly generated by a computer?"

The commercials never made this "summer event" series seem all that good, glad to know my thoughts were confirmed. Im surprised they were advertising it so much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So season 6, episode 11 is when Rhoda finally makes an appearance on Mary Tyler Moore, about 2 seasons after she just disappeared.
Meanwhile Phyllis was just written off randomly as well for her own spinoff. lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Thread gets weird and blog-y during the off season.

Just gotta roll with it until we start posting ratings for failing shows again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thread gets weird and blog-y during the off season.

Just gotta roll with it until we start posting ratings for failing shows again.
lol yeah, I'm just watching the show and posting my random thoughts here. It was one of those cameos that came out of nowhere, complete with the audience clapping in thunderous applause when they saw the character. It's one of those things that just doesn't happen now, outside of dumb cameos happening on a Chuck Lorre show/Big Bang Theory.

There are many things that I find interesting about it too - like the show has the same issue that I had with Seinfeld and Frasier, where the main character isn't allowed to have any kind of long term relationship (most of the flings last an episode and are never mentioned again). And maybe it's more forgivable in the 70s/80s, but Mary only dates white men. It's not even an option for her to be attracted to anyone else - even the one time the show had a Black recurring character, there is no indication that he has any attraction to her unlike the rest of the cast. Thinking back on Seinfeld and Frasier though, it seems kind of gross that the writers just didn't even bother there... particularly Frasier, which was in the 2000s in Seattle, which I assume is a fairly diverse city.

Weevilone

I was told that if you made it thru the pilot it wasn't bad. There was no way I was making it through the pilot.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
lol yeah, I'm just watching the show and posting my random thoughts here. It was one of those cameos that came out of nowhere, complete with the audience clapping in thunderous applause when they saw the character. It's one of those things that just doesn't happen now, outside of dumb cameos happening on a Chuck Lorre show/Big Bang Theory.

There are many things that I find interesting about it too - like the show has the same issue that I had with Seinfeld and Frasier, where the main character isn't allowed to have any kind of long term relationship (most of the flings last an episode and are never mentioned again). And maybe it's more forgivable in the 70s/80s, but Mary only dates white men. It's not even an option for her to be attracted to anyone else - even the one time the show had a Black recurring character, there is no indication that he has any attraction to her unlike the rest of the cast. Thinking back on Seinfeld and Frasier though, it seems kind of gross that the writers just didn't even bother there... particularly Frasier, which was in the 2000s in Seattle, which I assume is a fairly diverse city.

Frasier didn't have a brief romance with a Black woman? I could've sworn there was an episode about that. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I need to make use of my Hulu sub and watch more classic sitcoms. TV Land was my jam when they played stuff from the 60s and 70s. As soon as Home Improvement started showing up it got too real lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Frasier didn't have a brief romance with a Black woman? I could've sworn there was an episode about that. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I need to make use of my Hulu sub and watch more classic sitcoms. TV Land was my jam when they played stuff from the 60s and 70s. As soon as Home Improvement started showing up it got too real lol

I gave up on the show near the end, so maybe he did in the final few seasons...

I wonder if Home Improvement has some of the dumb Tim Allen stuff we all know now.

vypek

TV Land is currently my jam. Lol. Years and years ago I would have never guessed that I'd be watching it regularly but its come to a point that I do. Started with some re-runs of shows and then I actually started to check out their original programming too. Even the ones I'm not in the target audience for.

As a side note: Does anyone else really love catching goofs and errors in TV shows? I like noticing messed up sets, shadows of people hiding on set or booms being able to be viewed by the audience.

ZeroX03

Banned

Bulk of Frasier was in the 90s. Martin on Frasier dates a black woman. Cam Winston and and Dr Mary were recurring and black. IIRC there's Hispanic and Jewish women that he dates.

To Frasier's credit, they focused on being a gay friendly show, one of the biggest recurring characters was gay, gay stories written by a gay writer (Joe Keenan the GOAT) and every male series regular except Kelsey Grammer was gay. Hell, the show was originally going to be set in Colorado until they passed anti-gay laws so they switched to Seattle.

Daphne was originally going to be a Hispanic maid played by Rosie Perez, so they dodged a bullet in how poorly that would've aged.

Pixieking

Banned
Frasier also had one of the most sex-positive portrayals of a woman I can think of. Ros absolutely loves sex, and whilst Frasier and Niles mock her for the number of guys she beds, it's not (I think, anyways) anything close to slut-shaming. And they're the only two - Martin and Daphne just go with it. Hell, when she gets pregnant, she makes the joke that "condoms have a failure rate of one in a hundred... I can't beat those odds!"

ZeroX03

Banned
Frasier also had one of the most sex-positive portrayals of a woman I can think of. Ros absolutely loves sex, and whilst Frasier and Niles mock her for the number of guys she beds, it's not (I think, anyways) anything close to slut-shaming. And they're the only two - Martin and Daphne just go with it. Hell, when she gets pregnant, she makes the joke that "condoms have a failure rate of one in a hundred... I can't beat those odds!"

It's made very clear Frasier supports her and the Niles stuff is banter they both enjoy where she hits him back just as hard. It goes away once they become proper friends later anyway. There's the episode where Frasier is uncomfortable with Daphne having sex, but admits it's irrational and not her fault.

The writers of Frasier (and to a lesser extent Cheers) did try to be on top of these things, as much as they could be. Certainly helps the shows age well, whiteness aside.

Chitown B

It's been part of an ongoing conversation for a couple pages now.

yeah, I get it. But it's non sequitur for this thread period. It's not 2016-17 cancellations, in addition to the length of time between posts. I'm sure there are other threads for it. But I guess it doesn't matter.

Joni

yeah, I get it. But it's non sequitur for this thread period. It's not 2016-17 cancellations, in addition to the length of time between posts. I'm sure there are other threads for it. But I guess it doesn't matter.

We have always used this a bit as a general 'what are you watching on television" topic because there isn't really one like that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Not to belabour the derail because it seems like all the confusion has been cleared up, but not really

TV-GAF is organized like this:
- Ratsky's what are you watching thread -- some conversation about general TV watching [mostly people listing which shows of the new season list they are going to catch], mostly a resource for scheduling stuff, a lot of coordination of OTs
- The Cancellation thread, which has had a variety of authors over the years, including ivysaur, me, and Sober -- mostly conversation about ratings with an emphasis on cancellation/renewal trajectories, some discussion about peak TV, the TV business ecosystem, probably the #1 place to talk about obscure shows literally no one else on the site is watching, some ongoing catch up stuff
- The Pilot thread, which is somewhat inactive, and was posted by ivysaur -- Some discussion about script purchases, pilot purchases, put pilots, and upfront orders. Mostly a news repository rather than communication.
- Individual show threads including LTTPs

So it ends up being that there isn't an obvious place to leave comments on older shows you're watching. You could start a LTTP for the show, but of course no one else is going to reply and there feels like more of a burden to like make a good thorough OP. We could of course lean on people to put more watching conversation in Ratsky's threads and less in here, or try to make a thread about stray observations made about old TV shows you're rewatching, but neither of those solutions are obviously superior to what we actually do.

Speaking of, Sober, are you doing next year's cancellation thread?

Chitown B

I appreciate the long reply, but it doesn't make sense. This is not a Tv subforum, it's Off Topic. So, make a thread that is a random old show catchup thread...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
'Xena: Warrior Princess' Reboot Dead at NBC

TV killing off yet another lesbian couple.

Xena would be a good fit over on Syfy. They've had some success with their female led genre programming. And that network basically airs the modern day equivalent of the syndicated fantasy programming that was everywhere in the 80s and 90s.

Most of these revivals flop anyway though. Battlestar worked out. But Bionic Woman, the multiple Knight Rider attempts, Flash Gordon, etc haven't.

I dont know if Xena is relevant in 2017, especially since the setting has been done 487 times already.

It was the spin-off from Hercules to begin with, so the answer was always "fuck no" to relevance.

Also, that show is a beautiful product of its time and should not be dragged into reboot hell.

And now you're wondering about what Joss Whedon will do after being DC-burned and remember Buffy is due for reboot hell. Enjoy.

Sorry if it was previously posted here, but does the thread for the Fall 2017 TV season with schedules and premieres dates have already been made?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dont know if Xena is relevant in 2017, especially since the setting has been done 487 times already.
I was going to say that people don't like that kind of fantasy anymore, but then I remembered that Shanananananara Chronicles was a thing.

It's made very clear Frasier supports her and the Niles stuff is banter they both enjoy where she hits him back just as hard. It goes away once they become proper friends later anyway. There's the episode where Frasier is uncomfortable with Daphne having sex, but admits it's irrational and not her fault.

The writers of Frasier (and to a lesser extent Cheers) did try to be on top of these things, as much as they could be. Certainly helps the shows age well, whiteness aside.
Maybe I should watch it again. I haven't really thought about the show since it aired, in part because the show lost me with the Niles/Daphne stuff lasting forever.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Alright, it's very helpful, so thanks RatskyWatsky for making that thread,

p6CZm6P.gif

^^I was somewhat interested in the Xena reboot when Javier Grillo-Marxuach was attached, but apparently he dropped out of the project.

The Middleman was such an underrated show.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh shit, this Twitch Prime 7 day trial bullshit also gives Amazon Prime video 7 days?

Guess im watching American Gods in the next 7 days :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom