• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Agreed, but you have to watch season 3 as it sets up season 4 which is arguable the best season of the series.. then season 5 and 6 happen.. ugh.. season 7 is okay then season 8.. what a disaster. It didn't help that Breaking bad was also concluding about the same time with what was a masterpiece of a finale and when you compared how Dexter ended it is just laughable.

oh, Im watching all of it friend.

All of it.

btw since I forgot to do it, my quick rundown on S2:

- Doakes is great, sucks he had to go
- Good lord Lila is sexy
- Lundy was great
- The overarching story was great
- Deb's daddy issues crush on Lundy was shit

still, S2 > S1 if only because its more fun. The drop in S3 is astounding.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's not even mentioning that The Middle is ending this upcoming season and Modern Family might be ending after next year, when it reaches season 10. ABC is going to be in a tough spot for a few years.

Some of that could be offset if American Idol takes off though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Y5ahWHu.gif
Needs to be edited with characters from Game of Thrones.

G0523

Some of that could be offset if American Idol takes off though.

Riiight. I completely forgot about American Idol. That's going to be so weird when it comes back on ABC. I wonder if it'll do well. It was doing okay when it ended on Fox but I can't really see it doing better than the last few seasons. There may be a slight uptick when it premieres but it'll be very temporary.

TDLink

oh, Im watching all of it friend.

All of it.

btw since I forgot to do it, my quick rundown on S2:

- Doakes is great, sucks he had to go
- Good lord Lila is sexy
- Lundy was great
- The overarching story was great
- Deb's daddy issues crush on Lundy was shit

still, S2 > S1 if only because its more fun. The drop in S3 is astounding.

I don't care what people say about S4. S2 is the best Dexter was period. It all went downhill from there. Without people like Doakes and Lundy there's a real tension vacuum. Dexter's cold-bloodedness gets increasingly downplayed. S4 with the Trinity killer was a slight step back up from S3 because Lithgow was so great, but some of the really stupid shit that people bag on the later seasons for (completely justifiably) had already begun. It's just when Clyde Phillips left (after S4 concluded) it completely shit the bed.

And lol, Deb just got constant terrible plots (and love interests) throughout the series...so much so that her thing with Lundy was probably the best one...yes...really.

ZeroX03

Banned
Dexter: S2 > S1 > S4 > S7 (First Half) > S3 = S5 >>> S7 (Second Half) >>> S6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S8 = HIMYM Finale

I maintain that S5 was alright and just should have had the ending that S6 did. Also Lila kind of sucks in S2. It was all about the Doakes and Lundy tension.

Chitown B

I'm actually watching Mary Tyler Moore and in season 5, Rhoda is just gone and there's no real in universe explanation or goodbye. Which is weird because in Season 3 they had this episode where it looked like she was going to leave for NYC and I thought THAT was going to be the spinoff backdoor episode. I think Mary showed up on the other shows, but not vice versa?

I'm trying to think of the last major cast departure from a sitcom I watched and the only one I can come up with is Coach from New Girl, and they eventually gave him a decent goodbye after the second or third time he left the show. But I guess that's the other thing, modern TV doesn't really break up a good cast just for the sake of trying to fill more air time. Even something like NCIS, which has had three (attempted) spinoffs, didn't poach a character from the main show to launch the new show.

I didn't watch it, but Grey's > Private Practice.

TVexperto

Im really surprised to see what happened after season 7 ended. I really thought season 7 especially the ending would make season 8 a "on the hunt" season for dexter after la guerta was actually smart in season 7 and found evertything out

Swass

Dexter: S2 > S1 > S4 > S7 (First Half) > S3 = S5 >>> S7 (Second Half) >>> S6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S8 = HIMYM Finale

I maintain that S5 was alright and just should have had the ending that S6 did. Also Lila kind of sucks in S2. It was all about the Doakes and Lundy tension.

Season 5 started off so strong, Jordan Chase seemed like an intelligent serial killer that could rival Dexter, but it felt like the second half of the season was written by completely different people who had no idea what to do with him and turned him into an unbelievable crazy mess.. completely ruining the season.

Side note: I think the addition of Harrison really really hurt the show.. way too much emphasis on him in the 2nd half of the series.. they really should have written him out in season 5 or early in season 6.

I also agree that season 2 was in the top tier of the series, I love Doakes and there may not be a better TV moment that the "suprise motherfucker" scene.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im getting so angry (at myself mostly) with this Dexter S3, Im legit afraid of watching the later ones now... this marathon might not have been my best idea.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
im getting so angry (at myself mostly) with this Dexter S3, Im legit afraid of watching the later ones now... this marathon might not have been my best idea.

If you're getting worked up about Season 3, you're not going to survive Season 5 and beyond.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So is House of Cards cancelled? Netflix still didnt renew it
Let's hope so (them getting a Emmy nomination for Best Drama over Orange is the New Black (Season 4) is just so gross
It's incredibly likely to be back, but I could see the next one maybe being the last, with how things ended. Could be putting everything in order before the announcement.

(Totally guessing, though.)
Or they are neogotaing for three more seasons!
-sighs-

styl3s

fuck yeah, it was fantastic and makes me legit sad how this thread completely dismissed it.
I went into the show with a negative attitude because of how many people were shitting on it and it turned out to be one of my favorite new shows.

I should have known better than to trust TVGAF's opinion on it.

I lost interest in House of Cards kind of early into season two if I recall correctly, that was after watching the first over the course of a few days.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just quit after Season 4, it has a great "end of the show" feel to it and it's really not worth wasting your time on the later seasons. End it on a high note and move on.

Chris R

They relaunched it yet again end of July on BBC America with 3 new hosts. No, I have no idea why either.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/28/new-top-gear-america-trailer-july-30-video/

Oh, this is Top Gear AMERICA, while the old one was Top Gear USA. Huge difference, folks! Huge!

Top Gear USA was dumb, but in a fun watchable kinda way. So much better after they ditched the studio and forced guest segments and just stuck to the short films and challenges.

New Top Gear America is just bad, like so bad it makes S1 of Grand Tour look good.

"Suits" is setting up a spinoff around Gina Torres's character.
The pivotal Season 7 finale will reunite Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht), Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams), Louis Litt (Rick Hoffman), Donna Paulsen (Sarah Rafferty) and Rachel Zane (Meghan Markle) with their old friend Pearson as she adjusts to her new life in the Windy City. When she is forced to enter the dirty world of Chicago politics, Pearson must rely on her legal wits and valiant relationships from Pearson Specter Litt to navigate this unknown territory.
It's like a reverse "Good Wife."

Rhaknar

S3 down. Last third was more fun when Dexter and Miguel started butting heads. Still, by far the worst seson of the 3 so far.

Still excited for S4, the Lithgow season, I remember really liking that one.

Rhaknar

holy shit thats a creepy ass Lithgow kill right off the bat o_O

Already better than season3! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom