• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crooked Media |OT| Pod Save this Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimes

A Lovett pod? God dammit, I'm already behind on Pod Save The World, and I've only just started Friends Like These.

Have some mercy guys please

That's like five episodes a week now. Damn.

FWIW, I enjoyed the conversation with Glenn Greenwalt, and I'm not someone who spontaneously enjoys The Intercept.

Mully

Are you kidding? He and his foreign policy geekery are great.

It's probably the best podcast of the bunch right now. I'm a foreign policy nut and Tommy's show is like being a fly on the wall during world changing discussions. I love it.

They need to pre-announce these shows on the pod instead of randomly setting tickets loose. I missed the Brooklyn show because I had no idea it was happening, even though I listen every week!

iamblades

Saw some plugs to this in various other GAF threads and have started listening to it on my commute at 1.5x. Good listen for sure on the major issues. Three guys kinda sorta laughing through it is easier to take than doom and gloom threads as well.

Since as they say, media's not really playing neutral now and is largely partisan, what's a good podcast that goes with the other side without straight up lying to my face praising Trump? I've been told Louder with Crowder is good but I'm still catching up on Pod Save. Saw that Lars Larson is on there and I thought it might be worth checking in on so my stepdad has no way out of it when I force him to listen in on both sides of partisan media if he tries to pretend he's neutral about this again, but I believe he's the one that was referring to "commander Spicer."

I was imagining three hipster kids whose faces I'd want to cave in if I saw them IRL. Shit, I'm surprised they don't try to publicize this guy more. Young, good looking and can actually talk smart? Man.

Not exactly 'the other' side, but more 'an other' side, everyone should check out the Fifth Column Podcast.

It's my favorite political podcast by far.

Goodstyle

So Lovett or Leave It is great... but... this show is totally unsustainable. Like, when Trump stops being president, what's going to happen to this? This is a show that doesn't work without a bad guy, like a jester without a king.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I love Lovett, but his strength is not being the host, it's being the madman at the centre of the ring. So I'm leaning towards "leave it" listening to this first ep. Hopefully it can find its legs, but right now it's very aimless.

jmood88

I can't stand podcasts with live audiences in general, so I'm somewhat biased, but Lovett's podcast had a combination of one of the worst audiences I've heard and hosts who were trying way too hard to make jokes that no one got or thought were funny. It was still entertaining but there were a few times where I wanted to stop because they were fishing for laughs too often.

Brakke

Banned
So Lovett or Leave It is great... but... this show is totally unsustainable. Like, when Trump stops being president, what's going to happen to this? This is a show that doesn't work without a bad guy, like a jester without a king.

When in your observation of politics in a America have we ever been without an antagonist?

Events move so fast the space between podcasts seems like an eternity. I was predisposed to disliking them but I was dead wrong. I expected smug assholes. They are wonderful.

Goodstyle

When in your observation of politics in a America have we ever been without an antagonist?

2009-2010. Then the midterms happened.

I see what you mean, he can always clown on the GOP from now until the end of time, but the looming threat of Trump injects these pods with a huge surge of energy.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah. And a business plan that has an expected life span of at least four years is still better than a lot of business plans. 😅

Didn't listen to Lovett or Leave It yet myself. Will give it a shot but probably not stick with it. Pod Save The World is more what I'm looking for from these dudes.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I can't really say Pod Save America is that informative: I keep up with the news pretty regularly. It feels more like it's preaching to the choir and provides insight sparingly. I'm not sure Pod Save the World brings much new to light either, but I still enjoy it. With Friends Like These, on the other hand, can give some real perspective. The podcast Ana Marie Cox did on race though was handled pretty clumsily and unnecessarily awkward.

None match On the Media, but they're enjoyable which matters most.

Yeah. And a business plan that has an expected life span of at least four years is still better than a lot of business plans. 😅

Didn't listen to Lovett or Leave It yet myself. Will give it a shot but probably not stick with it. Pod Save The World is more what I'm looking for from these dudes.

I'm sure he's working on it, but I'd love if Tommy could get some non-Obama folks on, maybe from the W. or HW administrations? Really enjoyed his Greenwald pod too, thought that was the ideal of what I want from that show.

guek

Banned
I'm still watching most episodes and they're consistently a good time. My wife loves this podcast because it helps put stuff into perspective.

It's very interesting how much these guys who are firmly bred from Obama's presidency seem to disagree regularly with some of the staunchest, loudest, and most aggressively vocal poli-gaf posters. In today's episode for example, they lightly chide the DCC for being so risk averse in Kansas and Georgia whereas a lot of the aforementioned posters acted like it would have been such a huge waste of money. They do recognize that spending money here means less money elsewhere but emphasized that this isn't the time to be overly cautious when there's so much enthusiasm in the grassroots base. Who knows how long that'll last?

They also point out that there were a plethora of factors that led to 2016's election results, all of which can be simultaneously true and all of which are important to note on some level without disregarding everything else. You'd think that'd be common sense but gaf and my twitter feed often seem to disagree...

jmood88

I've enjoyed Lovett or Leave It a lot more since the first episode and today's was the best by far. I want this group to be the permanent hosts.

I've enjoyed Lovett or Leave It a lot more since the first episode and today's was the best by far. I want this group to be the permanent hosts.

First episode was definitely shakey. It felt like they were still feeling it out but it's been really great lately.

Brakke

Banned
Deray was great on Pod Save America. Goddamn I do not need any more shows on my rotation but I will definitely add this one on probation at least.

The Lovett or Leave It theme song cracks me up.

Yo for real I was planning to drop Lovett or Leave It after two but I'm pretty sure I stuck with the next couple just on the strength of the song. It's already much better than it started, too: starting to find its legs.

Meier

Steve Merchant is SO GOOD. Like night and day from last week.

He really was phenomenal. One of my favorite comedians of all time.. consistently kills me. Really great episode as a whole -- loved the interplay with Kasher and Brady was enjoyable when she chimed in. Have not heard Deray's podcast yet but we're just about done with this new episode of PSA. My wife and I thought it was pretty cute that the Senator thought it was going to be a video interview and got all dressed up. Lovett is right though that when you look good, you feel good!

NandoGip

Been listening for like a month or two. Pod save America is a staple in my podcast rotation now. Replaced the politico interview one and the nate silver one.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Anyone go to last night's live show in Seattle or is going to the SF show tonight?. I'll be going to the SF show though my friend of the pod shirt doesn't arrive till Monday :(. So I'll have to settle with my usual and like only political shirt that says "Nevertheless she persisted".

Nelo Ice

Banned
Crosspost from Poligaf.
So Pod Save America live show in SF was awesome. We went wild for Kamala Harris and she cussed twice lol. Lovett made it awkward when he brought up the bracket they have for 2020 candidates and it was hilarious.

Crosspost from Poligaf.
So Pod Save America live show in SF was awesome. We went wild for Kamala Harris and she cussed twice lol. Lovett made it awkward when he brought up the bracket they have for 2020 candidates and it was hilarious.

I was at this! Kamala was great :D

Q and A was a shit show (but I think that's the norm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom