• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crooked Media |OT| Pod Save this Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
C_KE7cIUMAMZ_2L.jpg

Since these guys are no longer under The Ringer unbrella and they are starting to expand into multiple podcasts (and eventually other types of media) I thought this deserved its own OT.

What is Crooked Media?
Crooked Media is a media startup that began as the podcast "Keepin' it 1600", the breakout success of The Ringer's podcast network from last year and my personal favorite political podcast of 2016.

After the Trump victory, the shellshocked hosts (well, three of the four) decided that part-time punditry was insufficient and wanted to transition into full-time political activism.

Who are these guys?
Founders
  • Jon Favreau, Head Speechwriter for Barack Obama, 2005-2013.
  • Jon Lovett, Speechwriter for Hillary Clinton, 2005-2008; Speechwriter for Barack Obama, 2009-2013. Also co-created the NBC sitcom "1600 Penn" and was a producer/writer on HBO's "The Newsroom" after leaving the White House.
  • Tommy Vietor, Assistant Press Secretary for Barack Obama, 2009-2011; National Security Council Spokesman/Special Assistant to the President, 2011-2013.
Co-Host
  • Dan Pfeiffer, White House Communications Director, 2009-2013; White House Senior Advisor, 2013-2015. Current day job: Vice President for Communications and Policy at GoFundMe

As you can tell this is an unashamed group of liberal Democrats. They make no attempt to hide this or pretend to be ideologically neutral. (I don't think this is going to be a big problem here on GAF.) They are also incredibly well-informed and experienced people who were "in the room", so to speak, for most of the critical political moments of the past decade, from before the 2008 election until midway through Obama's second term. Also, Favreau wrote the "Yes We Can" speech, by the way.

Has there ever been a more handsome presidential speechwriter than Jon Favreau?
I really doubt it.

So what are these podcasts with the bad puns? (click the images for the subscription links)

The continuation of "Keepin' it 1600" and the main podcast of the network. They describe it themselves as "A no-bullshit conversation about politics." Hosted by Jon Favreau, this is a twice-weekly show (with Jon and Tommy on Monday, and Dan on Thursday) which begins with a casual discussion and analysis of the week's
chaos
news, and then has a guest interview (or two) in the back half. Recent guests have included political activists, journalists, politicians, and a certain amateur kitesurfer you might have heard of.

I used to think foreign policy was boring, complicated and irrelevant to my life. Then I served for four years as President Obama’s National Security Spokesman. The hours I spent in Situation Room meetings, traveling abroad, and talking with the brilliant men and women who advised President Obama was the most fascinating education I ever had. It was a crash course in foreign policy that taught me two things: anyone can understand these issues, and we all have an obligation to try.
On Pod Save the World, I’ll go behind the scenes with the people responsible for some of the most important foreign policy decisions of our time. We’ll geek out about the most important issues of the day, but talk like normal human beings. That means you’ll also hear cool stories, funny anecdotes and maybe a few F bombs. Episodes will come out every other Wednesday.

Your pals at Crooked Media could not be more excited about this show. Ana Marie Cox, political columnist, culture critic, twitter early adopter, pet photo enthusiast, FRIEND OF THE POD, and one of the funniest and most thoughtful writers around, is joining this burgeoning network with a podcast about, well, what divides us.
And good news: there’s a lot!
Ana will talk to liberals and conservatives, religious leaders, writers, activists, and people you should know for a show that’s about listening instead of arguing. And this isn’t just about figuring out why some dude in Michigan voted for Trump. Though that’s part of it. We should figure that out. It’s about actually exploring division instead of putting it in side-by-side boxes on television, whether it’s a conversation about politics or religion, race or gender, or belief itself. Ana has accrued a bunch of unlikely friends in politics, and she has strong disagreements with those friends, like this one guy whose name rhymes with “whoa far borough” for example.
So why not have a civilized, thoughtful conversation (with some jokes and maybe the occasional “oh come on” because these are important issues and people feel strongly) and see what happens?

Every Friday night, Jon and a panel of comedians, actors, journalists, and some of the many, many famous Friends of the Pod will break down the week’s biggest news and deal with whatever bullshit came flying over the transom in our broken, insane political nightmare factory. Plus it’s produced by a former head writer for The Office, Lee Eisenberg! So it’s got that kind of a vibe too. There will be rants! Games! Bad impressions! Quizzes! Dramatic Readings! Shouting at cable news clips! And everyone’s favorite: nuanced discussion!

Organizer and activist DeRay Mckesson takes you inside conversations about culture, social justice, and politics by exploring the history, language, and people who are shaping the struggle for progress — and talking about the steps that each of us can take to make a difference.

What else?
There are plans to launch video and written content on the website, http://www.getcrookedmedia.com/. It's also worth saying that a major theme discussed regularly on the show is turning the outrage and resentment towards Trump and the Republican government into real political movements that can actually achieve tangible political results, something I think many of us on the left are struggling with right now.

Let me know if I missed anything!

tommy's joke at the end of the last episode made me think their next new podcast will be hosted by DeRay McKesson, which i would be super into

Following the Ben Rhodes pod today, Glenn Greenwald actually tweeted at Tommy that a bunch of their Snowden assumptions/information was incorrect. Tommy responded, looks like they may actually get together and have a podcast conversation about it.

guek

Banned
Hey I was thinking about making this thread myself. My wife and I listen to these guys regularly. They're excellent.

Brakke

Banned
That DeRay interview was great, and Pod Save The World is excellent so far.

I'm curious how --or if-- they'll handle having conservative guests on. Like there's no reason to have on Spicer or really anyone in the current administration, but David Axelrod has done some really excellent interviews with conservative operatives and officials on his pod.

Also Favreau is so handsome it should be illegal.

Kahoona

Been a listening religiously since their Keepin' it 1600 days, and have no thoughts of stopping now. Their podcasts are excellent.

Dude Abides

Banned
That DeRay interview was great, and Pod Save The World is excellent so far.

I'm curious how --or if-- they'll handle having conservative guests on. Like there's no reason to have on Spicer or really anyone in the current administration, but David Axelrod has done some really excellent interviews with conservative operatives and officials on his pod.

Also Favreau is so handsome it should be illegal.

They had Mike Murphy and Evan McMuffin on 1600. Probably some other conservatives I can't recall.

I've been listening to both podcasts ever since someone posted the Obama interview here, they're great.
The insight brought in Pod Save the World is really interesting, and chilling. Hearing their guests describe all the process behind the scenes underlines how absolutely out of their depth the current administration must be.

On the Save America side, I particularly enjoy their conversations about progressism, and where it goes from here, it's a welcome departure from all the yelling and infighting. de Blasio was particularly articulate about that in last week's special.

Avalanche

I've been listening to both podcasts ever since someone posted the Obama interview here, they're great.
The insight brought in Pod Save the World is really interesting, and chilling. Hearing their guests describe all the process behind the scenes underlines how absolutely out of their depth the current administration must be.

On the Save America side, I particularly enjoy their conversations about progressism, and where it goes from here, it's a welcome departure from all the yelling and infighting. de Blasio was particularly articulate about that in last week's special.

Yeah I thought de Blasio was super insightful and aware. Not overly familiar with him, why do people seem to dislike him?

I love Pod Save America so much. After the election I was so beat down I wanted to stop following politics all together but Pod Save America has helped me get my head back in the game!

dramatis

Yeah I thought de Blasio was super insightful and aware. Not overly familiar with him, why do people seem to dislike him?
When Eric Garner got killed by police in NYC, de Blasio promised police reform and the police got super mad. There was a period of time after two officers got killed execution style in which officers turned their backs on de Blasio when he walked by them.

He was caught in the middle of activists who wanted reform and police officers were very unhappy with him. There's a reason people say that his career might have been revived by the election of Trump, because he was becoming unpopular partially due to the bad feelings leftover from those events, plus the eternal NYC gentrification/affordable housing problem.

Now Trump is in the White House, NYC is filled with enraged liberals, and the mayoral election is this year. Even if the police go against de Blasio, there will probably be a batch of energized Democratic voters going to the polls.

If you're talking about people outside of his actual constituents not liking de Blasio, well it's probably because he supported Hillary during the primary (the left's reason) or because he's a liberal populist that has probably been badmouthed somewhere on Fox News (the right's reason).

Anyways, yes, Favreau is handsome, and Lovett is a straight shooter widely respected on both sides.

Very insightful stuff.

Taking about critical issues: disrepair of the media, future of the Democrats, and dilemmas of employment and automation.

Yeah it'll be great if Trump is impeached or whatever, but if and when that sideshow dies down, there'll still be other profound crises facing the nation and progressives need to capitalise on it, and start NOW.

Really liked the most recent Pod Save America episode (Katie Couric was fantastic) but I did kind of want them to dig into the disaster that was Trump's most recent press conference more. They were literally recording last week's show while it was happening, which I felt was just super unfortunate timing lol. Still, they did cover a ton of incredibly important stuff, so it feels churlish to complain.

Pod Save the World is also great but I find myself getting distracted during it; I think it's mostly down to it not really being as immediately relevant to current events and more retrospective. Very informative, but not as gripping.

Vimes

I listen to the pods in iTunes, but back in the Keepin' it 1600 days if I wanted to link to a particularly good part of the show to a friend it was easiest to use their YouTube upload. Does anyone know if any of the services Pod Save America uploads to allow linking at a specific time stamp?

I listen to the pods in iTunes, but back in the Keepin' it 1600 days if I wanted to link to a particularly good part of the show to a friend it was easiest to use their YouTube upload. Does anyone know if any of the services Pod Save America uploads to allow linking at a specific time stamp?

I believe Overcast on iOS does.

Blader

They had Mike Murphy and Evan McMuffin on 1600. Probably some other conservatives I can't recall.

They've had Tim Miller, from Jeb's campaign, on a couple times.

Pod Save the World is also great but I find myself getting distracted during it; I think it's mostly down to it not really being as immediately relevant to current events and more retrospective. Very informative, but not as gripping.

Yeah I have this same problem too, ha. Every time I see a new ep in my feed, I think it sounds really interesting...then I start to drift while listening. I usually have to break it up into a couple different listenings, whereas PSA I can just listen straight through.

gazele

Banned
Really do love these guys and glad that they are doing well

My only problem is the self-chuckling (mostly from Dan), its a small complaint but bugs me a little when talking about super serious stuff

Also makes it seem like they're laughing at they're own jokes, Tommy is probably my favorite since he seems to do this the least

muu

Saw some plugs to this in various other GAF threads and have started listening to it on my commute at 1.5x. Good listen for sure on the major issues. Three guys kinda sorta laughing through it is easier to take than doom and gloom threads as well.

Since as they say, media's not really playing neutral now and is largely partisan, what's a good podcast that goes with the other side without straight up lying to my face praising Trump? I've been told Louder with Crowder is good but I'm still catching up on Pod Save. Saw that Lars Larson is on there and I thought it might be worth checking in on so my stepdad has no way out of it when I force him to listen in on both sides of partisan media if he tries to pretend he's neutral about this again, but I believe he's the one that was referring to "commander Spicer."

Has there ever been a more handsome presidential speechwriter than Jon Favreau?

I was imagining three hipster kids whose faces I'd want to cave in if I saw them IRL. Shit, I'm surprised they don't try to publicize this guy more. Young, good looking and can actually talk smart? Man.

I was imagining three hipster kids whose faces I'd want to cave in if I saw them IRL. Shit, I'm surprised they don't try to publicize this guy more. Young, good looking and can actually talk smart? Man.

Don't worry, like Stephanopoulos before him, I'm sure he'll be around for decades.

impirius

Since as they say, media's not really playing neutral now and is largely partisan, what's a good podcast that goes with the other side without straight up lying to my face praising Trump?
I really miss Radio Free GOP right about now.

Oh hey my OT didnt die!

I actually found the Katie Couric interview this week a bit hard to listen to. the "Co-podcast" format led to both sides trying to control the conversation too much.

Oh hey my OT didnt die!

I actually found the Katie Couric interview this week a bit hard to listen to. the "Co-podcast" format led to both sides trying to control the conversation too much.

I kinda disagree; Couric was very much running the show. That was her interview, and she did a bang-up job.

very curious where this media company leads, especially since they seem to have ambitions much beyond podcasting

if they didn't have such an out-there name i would've bet this was the media company obama kept hinting he wanted to get involved with

We should add Friends Like These to the OP! I'm really digging it so far along with the rest of their content. Definitely my go-to network when I see a new episode go live.

Nelo Ice

Banned
We should add Friends Like These to the OP! I'm really digging it so far along with the rest of their content. Definitely my go-to network when I see a new episode go live.

Yeah, I loved the last episode with Rick Wilson. Was definitely nice hearing from a GOP perspective who afaik hasn't gone completely off the rails. I think he made a good point about Dems should loosen up on gun control to get back voters who flipped from Obama to Trump.

Yeah, the first episode of Friends Like These really didn't grab me, but the next two were great. Definitely a worthwhile addition.

ALso, the most recent episode of Pod Save the World (with the former Ambassador to Russia) was gripping in a way the others haven't been. Extremely interesting insights into how we got where we are today with them. Not really looking forward to the Greenwald episode, since I'm not really in favor of giving what are, effectively, Russian shills like him a platform, but idk.

Yeah, I loved the last episode with Rick Wilson. Was definitely nice hearing from a GOP perspective who afaik hasn't gone completely off the rails. I think he made a good point about Dems should loosen up on gun control to get back voters who flipped from Obama to Trump.
Yeah, I enjoyed that episode. It was kind of funny hearing him go about that so bluntly when there's all this soul searching, infighting and calls for empathy about everything.
If anything, he was a lot clearer and more audible on racism and identity issues than the usual vague platitudes you hear/read from people who view themselves as moderates.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah, I enjoyed that episode. It was kind of funny hearing him go about that so bluntly when there's all this soul searching, infighting and calls for empathy about everything.
If anything, he was a lot clearer and more audible on racism and identity issues than the usual vague platitudes you hear/read from people who view themselves as moderates.
Yeah the whole time I was legit shook. Like an actual sane Republican, I thought those went extinct.

Yeah the whole time I was legit shook. Like an actual sane Republican, I thought those went extinct.

I liked the Nicolle Wallace episode, and when the show was Keepin' it 1600, I thoroughly enjoyed the McMuffin interview.

Still: point taken.

Also, they've brought on so many members of Team Jeb!, I wonder if they could land the man himself. That would be a fascinating post-mortem.

johnsmith

remember me
Omg

https://getcrookedmedia.com/lovett-or-leave-it-6077c7aca95c#.1bp2ov20a

Finally.

Your pal Jon Lovett — former Obama speechwriter, Pod Save America co-host, STRAIGHT SHOOTER RESPECTED ON ALL SIDES — is hosting a brand new show.

Every Friday night, Jon and a panel of comedians, actors, journalists, and some of the many, many famous Friends of the Pod will break down the week’s biggest news and deal with whatever bullshit came flying over the transom in our broken, insane political nightmare factory. Plus it’s produced by a former head writer for The Office, Lee Eisenberg! So it’s got that kind of a vibe too. There will be rants! Games! Bad impressions! Quizzes! Dramatic Readings! Shouting at cable news clips! And everyone’s favorite: nuanced discussion!

You can subscribe right now on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. And, between you and us, there’s going to be video too.

SUBSCRIBE IMMEDIATELY. If this doesn’t go to number one Lovett is going to be a disaster. And if it DOES go to number one, he’ll be even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom