• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

If CNN didn't come at him like the fanboy/trolls on GAF and elsewhere, he might have worded things a bit differently...just maybe.

All those talking points came straight from forum posts.

You can't be fucking serious...

pennyarcadepetermooredaohk.jpg

That's what you wanted right?

Amir0x

Banned
If CNN didn't come at him like the fanboy/trolls on GAF and elsewhere, he might have worded things a bit differently...just maybe.

"if they didn't throw gotcha questions at Sarah Palin, maybe she would have known what newspaper she reads!"

Durante

I think we've reached the point where for some people, pointing out facts is now an attack on Nintendo. It's a bit like teaching basic biology being an attack on religion.

Most consumers will assume that this is true, simply because the Wii U is newer. Hell, a good chunk of the people I knew who bought a PS3 at launch thought the same about games that were clearly worse than on 360. I don't think you can protect consumers who don't do their research. Nintendo is smart to play up this angle, like the "definitive version" Batman AC commercial they have playing nowadays.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is it like a mental disorder?

lol, no I meant he cant say anything "bad" about what is basically his boss (Nintendo JP). His JOB is to make them (and all Nintendo products) look good, no matter what they do.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Unbelievable. I read more odd comments from Nintendo fans (or people associated with defending Nintendo) in this day and age more than ever.

You are flying off the rocker.

miksar

Even if he's said something questionable in the past, it's nothing like Reggie's marketing attitude. Iwata = down to Earth and outright admits when they've made an error in judgement. Reggie = forward unto dawn all guns blazing throwing grenades even if everyone is on fire and has their legs blown off at the kneecaps.

His style of mindless confidence and aggressive promotion was appropriate during the heyday of the Wii. Nintendo had to take advantage of their sudden success with the mainstream market and being a household name with Americans once more. Reggie is a big beefy American guy who looks the part.
This is the difference between American and Japanese mentality. In the western world admitting mistakes would be seen as a sign of weakness while in Japan it is a part of the culture. Also Iwata is much more knowledgable about games than Reggie, he used to be a developer after all.

i-Lo

Another one. Good going.

First it's not a lie and then lying is justified because asking hard question is tantamount to being a troll or a fanboy

NewFresh

I hope you are joking. I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but why would anyone defend him lying about this? It has been proven that it is not true and the question were very reasonable (In fact, better than usual).

Nintendo plans comeback with Wii U

this is just as bad as his lie

what comeback?

A return to popularity.

Oemenia

Banned

Wow you guys have outdone yourselves, good one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reggie's getting dangerously close to Jack Tretton levels of dislike for me.

Jack Tretton admitted mistakes, has Reggie ever done that?

Skyzard

Banned

I know what you are referring to but really she just pressed him with a valid, well-researched question and he fumbled under the pressure quickly. It's his job to handle the spin properly. He actually took it a step further (correcting her about the parity) and he almost had it when he was talking about the GPU specifically... but didn't manage it.

Dicer

Banned
I hope you are joking. I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but why would anyone defend him lying about this? It has been proven that it is not true and the question were very reasonable (In fact, better than usual).

Reggie is gonna Reggie. He's a mouthpiece, It's his job to spout the company line...I think people misunderstood my point. CNN took a forum posters style approach to this "interview" it's was terrible and lazy.

But as shown people are way too quick to fly off the handle at a "Nintendo fanboy" that would be the case if I don't own pretty much ever system that has come out (FM Towns and/X86000/PC-FX) non withstanding lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Unbelievable. I read more odd comments from Nintendo fans (or people associated with defending Nintendo) in this day and age more than ever.

You are flying off the rocker.

Its been an entertaining launch period. I haven't spent a penny on this new hardware, but the internet hysteria has been more enjoyable than any 'new gadget' feel I could wring from this careening Nintendo branded cart of woe.

I mean if someone really wanted to really fucking ambush Reggie with a loaded question, you've got about 10 big issues with the new box you could see him stutter his way through ranging from a CPU weaker than current HD twins, woeful audio output solutions, atrocious battery life on the GamePad, region locking, multi-plat games running worse than on 7 year old hardware, big features not ready for launch, and more. Would love to have seen his wriggling when such a big ass block of crap was dropped on him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*sighs* Come on Reggie, don't be this way. Lying never helps in the future.

Yeah, it's clear why Nintendo barely showed the third-party titles. Most of them are a mess. Strange since I remember BLOPS II running fairly well during that Wii U presser.
Nintendo needs less Arkham City Armored Editions and more Capcoms and Bayonetta 2s.
I bought my Wii U day one, and I'm not going to sell it. I think selling consoles is stupid as something will come along to change my mind.

thuway

I wish they did. Want to see the next EAD Tokyo project though, that should be looking good.

Nintendo has yet to make a large scale HD game. NSMBU is not any thing I would call ambitious. I am willing to bet you will be disappointed in whatever they offer.

JorSneezy

Banned
Madden's physics look so much better on Wii U. Oh, wait . . .

Remember when Reggie used to kick ass and take names before he became straight marketing shill?

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
NOA is the worst Nintendo because of this man. The Internet needs to stop idolising him. He's lost his touch.

ymmv

Banned
I think we've reached the point where for some people, pointing out facts is now an attack on Nintendo. It's a bit like teaching basic biology being an attack on religion.

Nintendo fans are the Republicans of gaming?

But yeah, I wish Nintendo Japan would remove Reggie from his position. His blatant PR lies are just embarrassing.

Amir0x

Banned
Reggie is gonna Reggie. He's a mouthpiece, It's his job to spout the company line...I think people misunderstood my point. CNN took a forum posters style approach to this "interview" it's was terrible and lazy.

Nobody misunderstood your point. The interview was fantastic (by relative comparison to typical gaming interviews, of course. Low bar, I know) and asked questions that consumers might be very curious about were they to be interested in buying a Wii U. THAT is why the reaction is what it is.

But as shown people are way too quick to fly off the handle at a "Nintendo fanboy" that would be the case if I don't own pretty much ever system that has come out (FM Towns and/X86000/PC-FX) non withstanding lol

"I own every system" is the videogame fanboys equivalent to racists "I have a black friend."

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Reggie's getting dangerously close to Jack Tretton levels of dislike for me.

I get far more of a human and humbled person from Jack than I ever got from Reggie. Unless you hate Jack for being normal and not an over the top persona like Reggie?

And as was said, at least other execs (not necessarily Sony) have admitted mistakes.

Bit of advice: Trotting out the old I've owned all the systems chestnut after the fact never helps.

scitek

Did she just really say:

Along with the new console, it's got a new controller. It's called the gamepad.

Wow. Gamepad. Really. Thank you for the name.

Gamepad is supposed to be a take on the iPad name, I think, even though people have been calling controllers game pads for years.

And Reggie didn't just slip that statement in there, he stopped and corrected her with a lie. I wish the reporter hadn't just gone "oh okay" and said something like "well, we'll try it and see" or something.

Dicer

Banned
Nobody misunderstood your point. The interview was fantastic and asked questions that consumers might be very curious about were they to be interested in buying a Wii U. THAT is why the reaction is what it is.

"I own every system" is the videogame fanboys equivalent to racists "I have a black friend."

I do have a black friend, lol.

and no that was a terrible interview...it's not what was asked, it's how it was asked.

Top Bottom