• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durango/XBox720 devkit on eBay by DAE

Paracelsus

He assembled a custom machine from a sheet of parts MS has greenlisted and installed the Microsoft development environment onto that.

So basically we only need to know what's inside, build our own rig and we'll overkill next gen games? Understood.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I would just like to say: thank you Neogaf for making it to page 3 of this topic without posting the This Gun B Good gif of the guy dancing while folding the chair down.

Personally I'm most interested in the controller and ports. Don't most devkits look like badass versions of the consoles themselves? Unless the bid is just for the development software (like Source SDK on Steam)

Why isnt anyone smart enough to realize he built it to ms specs and got the xdk? He didn't have to get the whole kit from ms.
This is what I was thinking. Maybe dude has inside info on exactly what components are included, and he just built this rig himself. That would be the easiest thing to do and would probably present the fewest legal obstacles. His auction would probably be fraudulent though, no?

Edit: then there is the XDK issue, which was mentioned. But he could have gotten his hands on that code and installed it for sure.

Triple U

Banned
I would just like to say: thank you Neogaf for making it to page 3 of this topic without posting the This Gun B Good gif of the guy dancing while folding the chair down.

Personally I'm most interested in the controller and ports. Don't most devkits look like badass versions of the consoles themselves? Unless the bid is just for the development software (like Source SDK on Steam)
Alpha kits are mostly PC/small server blade like. Final kits sometimes look like the retail unit(PSX/360/etc)

Borman

Like I said in the last thread, this is what the XBox 360 Alpha kits looked like :
PICT4490Medium.jpg

Talk about a complete turn around :p

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Shame Brad Smith (Microsoft general counsel, legal) isn't in office today, could forward it to him. He's probably seen it though.

The next week shall be interesting to see how this story develops and if someone will actually receive that "SDK", or if will be ordered down. If it is indeed real, it may severely damage the Xbox department and Microsoft as whole. Also, should this equipment come to the wrong hands, I wonder if this may force them to disclose details about Durango earlier than planned.

Well, nonetheless a thrilling decision by DaE, but I wonder who represents him in this case, he mentioned lawyers on Twitter.

Rösti;40931748 said:
Shame Brad Smith (Microsoft general counsel, legal) isn't in office today, could forward it to him. He's probably seen it though.

The next week shall be interesting to see how this story develops and if someone will actually receive that "SDK", or if will be ordered down. If it is indeed real, it may severely damage the Xbox department and Microsoft as whole. Also, should this equipment come to the wrong hands, I wonder if this may force them to disclose details about Durango earlier than planned.

Well, nonetheless a thrilling decision by DaE, but I wonder who represents him in this case, he mentioned lawyers on Twitter.

Why would you want to ruin the fun so soon? It's obvious this guy is either off his rocker or completely full of shit, may as well let the auction commence to see what's actually inside.

mik83kuu

Banned
Why would you want to ruin the fun so soon? It's obvious this guy is either off his rocker or completely full of shit, may as well let the auction commence to see what's actually inside.

He's either not the real DAE or he's trying to get validation for all of this. Rumors are just rumors until MS acts on them legally in which case it's pretty much a confirmation :)

Rapstah

Is he legally bound to anything by calling it a Durango dev kit? Does Microsoft officially recognise that name in such a way?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
how to make 10k selling a mid range pc:

1)buy mid range parts in conservative range of next gen estimates.

2)modify your registry/bios to include token "durango" references.

3)leak these details to gaming news blogs suffering through the dry summer period.

4)contact your recently fired developer buddy who's just put a down payment on a new house, offer him 3k to make off-the-record comments attesting to its authenticity.

4)to ebay!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is he legally bound to anything by calling it a Durango dev kit? Does Microsoft officially recognise that name in such a way?

If they wanted to be picky, I think MS lawyers might have a problem with the listing by the use of 'Microsoft' and 'Xbox' labelling, whether the box is an actual Durango dev kit or not... so I don't know if their interest in this listing would be absolute confirmation of anything.

If ebay gives reasons for withdrawing listings (?), and that reason turned out to be something like 'property of a third party' or 'stolen goods', then that would be telling.

Are you talking from the perspective of if he is bound to deliver something as the seller ?

If so, I can't believe how he would could be beholden to much outside of delivering something looking like the picture, seeing as how there is no basis of comparison of what a "Durango" actually is.

Rapstah

Are you talking from the perspective of if he is bound to deliver something to the seller ?

If so, I can't believe how he would could be beholden to much outside of delivering something looking like the picture, seeing as how there is no basis of comparison of what a "Durango" actually is.

Yeah, I meant this in part. If there's no actual thing called a "Durango", then he can't really be accused of not delivering one. At the same time, Microsoft can't really withdraw it for that reason, but of course, as gofreak points out, he's also calling it "Microsoft" and "Xbox".

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
One of my contact, who got access to Durango dev kits since a moment now, described these to me as a server, a big, apparently black, tower, with a kinect port in the back. So maybe the picture is legit ?

It would be funny if this was just viral marketing catering to their core audience by MS.
If you're talking about the Durango "leak" as a whole, then that would seem odd as the Initial reaction to the specs seems to have been lukewarm at best.

AzBat

Anybody have any luck locating the case online? It's a nondescript case, but it's unique enough that I've had a hard time finding one like it. If somebody were to find an exact match, just imagine how many more bogus listings would show up on eBay. Maybe Microsoft was smart enough to get exclusive on the cases or they're not made anymore.

One of my contact, who got access to Durango dev kits since a moment now, described these to me as a server, a big, apparently black, tower, with a kinect port in the back. So maybe the picture is legit ?

Yeah we know the pic is legit. More importantly, you need to find out from your contact more about whats inside Durango :)

McHuj

Anybody have any luck locating the case online? It's a nondescript case, but it's unique enough that I've had a hard time finding one like it. If somebody were to find an exact match, just imagine how many more bogus listings would show up on eBay. Maybe Microsoft was smart enough to get exclusive on the cases or they're not made anymore.

Nope. Tried a tinyeye/google reverse image search nothing similar showed up.

manzo

But even if it is, so what? There are no specs, showing anything off, it's just a PC case.

The specs are secondary at the moment (even though we all want to know what they are). The juicy part is that this would reveal authenticity of a Durango devkit. This would be a big reveal to the industry and MS cannot deny the fact that they're fully prepping for next gen anymore.

He assembled a custom machine from a sheet of parts MS has greenlisted and installed the Microsoft development environment onto that.

This really could be the case, since if the specs are going to be off-the-shelf PC parts, the devs can just use the MS approved parts and punt the Durango XDK there.

McHuj

So basically we only need to know what's inside, build our own rig and we'll overkill next gen games? Understood.

Probably not really. An early dev kit like this will mainly be for the software running on it (the simulator, compilers, debuggers), it doesn't need to meet performance. It's gotta be enough to build an application and debug it, performance tuning can come after actual dev kits with hardware start to arrive.

manzo

Probably not really. An early dev kit like this will mainly be for the software running on it (the simulator, compilers, debuggers), it doesn't need to meet performance. It's gotta be enough to build an application and debug it, performance tuning can come after actual dev kits with hardware start to arrive.

True. Should this box be a real first generation alpha kit, the specs can be VERY different from the final retail hardware. See the 360 kits: 9800 to dual X800's.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah I don't trust this, if he was selling a legit dev kit of a console that hasn't even been announced yet won't Microsoft make they sure they will find the person selling this?.

Triple U

Banned
Is there really much point in just buying a kit that's probably all off the shelf PC parts?

Well I suppose if you want access to extremely early MS kernels and libraries that you would probably be stuck with due to not ever receiving updates then yeah?

Doesn't make much sense at this point.

Borman

The 360 wasn't a Mac Pro, those are Intel. Rather, they were Powermac G5s :p

And here is my Xbox Alpha Kit :
alpha1-1.jpg

Which had modified PC parts.

Cuth

Dilli666 guessed the model of the case in the other thread about this devkit. Thanks to him.

The shots are showing a Supermicro case, usually used for big
server mainboards (Xeon etc) with redundant power supply and
hot-swapable disks. Probably the SC-745.

The fans in those cases are loud as hell, btw ;)
A pic of the Supermicro SC745:

RmY78.jpg

Dude probably only knows what kind of case is being used for the dev kit and now tries to sell a shitty gaming PC with some dev stuff installed on it lol.

Top Bottom