• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ixaland is everything I wanted from the flavour of a set in a long time except for the lack of guns.
I specifically mentioned colonization and exploration as a theme I'd like to see I thought barred because guns are a non option a couple threats ago but here we are.

The people of Ixalan are smart enough to put blackpowder into long massive metal tubes but they apparently can't divide to narrow the process down.

Well, if you wanted Boa Hancock and Luffy with mind powers, you got it.

I mean... thats a gun right... Sure it shoots a harpoon but really...

more like a steyr aug
220px-Steyr_AUG_A3.jpg
this actually existing in mtg just makes it all the more ridiculous. Even worse than Kaladesh's rail guns.

Ashodin

Huh? What do you mean by that? I didn't see anything like that in the story.

This is an inference; It's entirely possible that Jace just ended up here randomly, but I like to think that Bolas sent Vraska here before Hour of Devastation; her having a crew and everything makes it sound like it occurred much earlier in the timeline. I also think Jace is a better mind-mage than even the story lets on - and that he pulled a piece of important info from Bolas' mind before he got wiped, and used that before he planeswalked to at least set him on the path to ruining Bolas' plans. It makes sense to me.

I'm assuming that whatever is in Orazca is part of whatever Bolas wants to use to fix the Planar Bridge that Gideon and Chandra blew up.

Also lol @ the story bringing up Jace's newfound sexy muscles like three times.

The Immortal Sun is most likely a Mirari. Memnarch as the Mirari could keep planeswalkers from entering Mirrodin, it makes sense to me that a Mirari could also be misused to keep planewalkers from LEAVING.

What I don't get is why Karn made his probes so powerful. Why even do that?

It's probably growing pains as a planeswalker - he assumed that sending something powerful was needed to keep readings intact. It's also possible that they are tainted with the oil (if only slightly, not enough to self-replicate) and cause the probe to go haywire over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mirari on Ixalan (if that is what it is) caused the Vampires entirely.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is an inference; It's entirely possible that Jace just ended up here randomly, but I like to think that Bolas sent Vraska here before Hour of Devastation; her having a crew and everything makes it sound like it occurred much earlier in the timeline. I also think Jace is a better mind-mage than even the story lets on - and that he pulled a piece of important info from Bolas' mind before he got wiped, and used that before he planeswalked to at least set him on the path to ruining Bolas' plans. It makes sense to me.

The Immortal Sun is most likely a Mirari. Memnarch as the Mirari could keep planeswalkers from entering Mirrodin, it makes sense to me that a Mirari could also be misused to keep planewalkers from LEAVING.

It's probably growing pains as a planeswalker - he assumed that sending something powerful was needed to keep readings intact. It's also possible that they are tainted with the oil (if only slightly, not enough to self-replicate) and cause the probe to go haywire over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mirari on Ixalan (if that is what it is) caused the Vampires entirely.
It does occur earlier. She has been pirating for months and he got there 40 days ago.

Joe Molotov

To be clear, she isn't a gorgon, that's just a nickname based on her powers.

I mean, the story today says that she's a gorgon several times.

Gorgons on Ravnica could only ever be one thing. But here? A gorgon could be whatever she damn well pleased.

Vraska called on that little flicker in the back of her mind and felt her gaze charge with the petrification magic only gorgons possessed.

"Vraska," Jace said in earnest. "I was in trouble, and you saved me. Thank you."

The gorgon looked back in confusion. "You weren't frightened?"

FREESHIP29 for free shipping (too late for me to realize my mistake lol)

Doh! I didn't see your post earlier, I was too excited clicking on the link a few posts above yours.

I snagged two of them. I think one to always keep sealed and the other to keep sealed until I want to actually play with one of the cards in Commander or something.

more like a steyr aug

this actually existing in mtg just makes it all the more ridiculous. Even worse than Kaladesh's rail guns.

It's that weird cognitive space people get into where "gun = modern" and "fantasy = not modern", which makes a Tesla death ray acceptable because it is not modern, even though it's significantly more advanced technologically than a gun.

Poppy

i mean a cannon is actually a gun, do the ships have cannons? if y, then there are guns

just not the guns you might want

looks like its tubes that shoot fire magic weirdness so its not like you can draw a perfect analogy with real life gunpowder

kirblar

Doh! I didn't see your post earlier, I was too excited clicking on the link a few posts above yours.

I snagged two of them. I think one to always keep sealed and the other to keep sealed until I want to actually play with one of the cards in Commander or something.
I tested it on a fresh order, it didn't seem to work.

Angry Grimace

I mean, the story today says that she's a gorgon several times.
Nah, Boa Hancock from One Piece is a pirate captain who is part of the "Gorgon sisters" because they have stoning powers. They're not literal gorgons, but they are canonically called Gorgons.

Angry Grimace

Guns? Can't have that. Would ruin immersion.

Signed,

Currently Banned Literal Helicopter

It's that weird cognitive space people get into where "gun = modern" and "fantasy = not modern", which makes a Tesla death ray acceptable because it is not modern, even though it's significantly more advanced technologically than a gun.
I just don't see modern when I look at the pic Ashodin posted, which looks great and mtg is worse off for it not being possible.
i mean a cannon is actually a gun, do the ships have cannons? if y, then there are guns

just not the guns you might want

looks like its tubes that shoot fire magic weirdness so its not like you can draw a perfect analogy with real life gunpowder
I can draw a perfect analogy from this imagery
That's a cannon shooting a projectile not fire. How the kinetic energy is produced isn't that important as long as you can downsize the process.

Handguns are the big issue w/ a western setting and with guns in general.
the issue being?

Angry Grimace

There is no "issue." It's completely arbitrary in every sense.

I'm so torn about cashing out of MTGO right now. I literally have my collection appraised but I just can't seem to easily bring myself to pressing the button to finalize it.

It's possible that Arena would scratch my Magic itch enough that I wouldn't miss playing Commander / Modern / Legacy in a digital format. I just don't know!

Someone decide for me. lol

Angry Grimace

I mean I usually just sell all the cards to bots for tickets, and then sell the tickets themselves.

Justin

I'm so torn about cashing out of MTGO right now. I literally have my collection appraised but I just can't seem to easily bring myself to pressing the button to finalize it.

It's possible that Arena would scratch my Magic itch enough that I wouldn't miss playing Commander / Modern / Legacy in a digital format. I just don't know!

Sell your paper collection, double down on MTGO.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Going to my first prerelease on Sat for Ixalan... then I think I'm just going to buy the cards I want rather than boosters. Carnage Tyrant at $22 is pretty rough, though.

Any advice for sealed draft for prerelease? I have a basic mana curve template, but what else should I be thinking about?

Justin

Going to my first prerelease on Sat for Ixalan... then I think I'm just going to buy the cards I want rather than boosters. Carnage Tyrant at $22 is pretty rough, though.

Any advice for sealed draft for prerelease? I have a basic mana curve template, but what else should I be thinking about?

Maybe check out a the bit from the pre prerelease where they open the pre release kit and walk through deck building.
https://youtu.be/cf1ESNK5ckI?t=617

Edit: Dont buy Carnage Tyrant

As for this prerelease specifically the main thing I would recommend is to not try to force a specific tribe. It is tempting but is going to be really hard with only 6 packs. Its better just to play all good cards.

Firemind

I'm using my leftover tix solely for cubing but I keep gaining more play points than losing them lol

If the economy tanks I'm not gonna lose too much. Arena won't have cubes at the start anyway.

Lucario

beta update:

I sent a kind-but-confused reply to their "we can't tell if you're actually in the program" email, including a quote of when I was sent an installer and password.

Two days later, a completely different CS agent sent me the exact same email I had just replied to, word for word. He then closed the ticket.

Top Bottom