• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

Shai-Tan

Banned
JWong said:
A lot of reviewers have pointed out many flaws in Dragon Age, but no one dares to give it a low score. At least Eurogamer and Edge are truly hard on games.

This is why their schtick works. It's not about "using the full scale" at all. They get a reputation for being "discerning" based on their scores

lorddarkflare said:
No shit.

There is something really wrong with that list.

I think i need to read the reviews before i say more.

Agree with both of you. It's obvious that Edge could never be my magazine of choice for reviews.

Simply because WRPGs and being a Loot whore is usually the most fun I have gaming. There are a few games that are almost universally considered classics that they just scored average.

Not upset at all, it's just good to know I could skip over thier reviews of games in my favorite genres in the future.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm actually happy EA/Bioware is being brought to task for allowing such a completely shitty port to be made of Dragon Age.

There is absolutely no reason for the game to look as bad as it does on the 360 other than EA going for the cheapest port house (the dev house that made Over the Hedge and Shark Tale nonetheless!) and rushing the job.

FlyinJ said:
I'm actually happy EA/Bioware is being brought to task for allowing such a completely shitty port to be made of Dragon Age.

There is absolutely no reason for the game to look as bad as it does on the 360 other than EA going for the cheapest port house (the dev house that made Over the Hedge and Shark Tale nonetheless!) and rushing the job.

Shame on EA, and they have been doing so well.

Though truth be told, it is less the visuals and more the controls that bother me.

bengraven

lorddarkflare said:
No shit.

Even if I could slightly agree with them about DA:O (which I can't, having not played the 360 version), the only way the console ports could be a "5" would be if they added Sparkles the Unicorn to the game, downed the resolution to 480i, randomly destroyed save games, and frankly showed up at your door and fucked your father in the ass with a salt-covered dick.

markatisu

After having played 7 straight hours of DAO on the 360 today I cannot with a straight face agree with the 5.

Visuals and Control maybe bring it to around a 7.5, but a 5 :lol

MrHicks

Banned
Zeliard said:
It really isn't anywhere close to that bad.

How many recent RPGs, or games period, can people name with superior writing to Dragon Age? I want a list to laugh at.

whats so great about dragon age writing?
most of the dialogue you have with the npc's...something which you will be doing like 50+% of the time is an absolute snorefest
now i don't mind games full of dialogue if its actually remotely engaging

then you have the overall unimaginative stereotypical fantasy world...the definition of creative bankruptcy (what did the writer they hired actually do all these years?)

when i reached the dwarf city called "Orzimarr" i got the urge to facepalm irl.....WOW what does that sound like...get it "WOW"?
its like their not even trying

~Kinggi~

Banned
bengraven said:
Even if I could slightly agree with them about DA:O (which I can't, having not played the 360 version), the only way the console ports could be a "5" would be if they added Sparkles the Unicorn to the game, downed the resolution to 480i, randomly destroyed save games, and frankly showed up at your door and fucked your father in the ass with a salt-covered dick.
what a vivid imagination

bengraven

~Kinggi~ said:
what a vivid imagination

It's Friday and I want to go home.

That said, them giving The Witcher and DA 5's tells me EDGE does not value good story telling. Frankly with the state of stories in games these days, both of these games not getting pluses for their stories is a shame.

bengraven said:

Going by their review system and some of the issues i had with the game in general, i can actually agree with some of their beef, and the score.

I just take issue with the fact that they are allowing the 5 to apply for Pc as well.

bengraven said:
It's Friday and I want to go home.

That said, them giving The Witcher and DA 5's tells me EDGE does not value good story telling. Frankly with the state of stories in games these days, both of these games not getting pluses for their stories is a shame.

Let us not get ahead of ourselves here.

DA:O's main plot is tripe.

The subplots and the writing for the characters as well as the dialogue are where it is at. It boggles the mind that they did not do a completely original fantasy world with its own races and the like.

bengraven

lorddarkflare said:
Going by their review system and some of the issues i had with the game in general, i can actually agree with some of their beef, and the score.

I just take issue with the fact that they are allowing the 5 to apply for Pc as well.

That's

down's.jpg

bengraven

lorddarkflare said:
Let us not get ahead of ourselves here.

DA:O's main plot is tripe.

The subplots and the writing for the characters as well as the dialogue are where it is at. It boggles the mind that they did not do a completely original fantasy world with its own races and the like.

If they're bagging on The Witcher and DA for having elves and dwarves, I could understand as long as it's not some sort of personal vendetta against cliched fantasy concepts. Both games may not have had horribly original plots (what does these days?) but the story telling and dialogue alone deserve credit.

bengraven said:
If they're bagging on The Witcher and DA for having elves and dwarves, I could understand as long as it's not some sort of personal vendetta against cliched fantasy concepts. Both games may not have had horribly original plots (what does these days?) but the story telling and dialogue alone deserve credit.

Agreed 100%.

Also, what was the post above this one about?

Concept17 said:
Looks like I'll be getting Dragon Age now...

Also, score too low for AC2.

A tad bit too high i think. 7 would have been perfect. Converting that from edge, that would an 8.5.

TacticalFox88 said:
So once again GAF claims to not care about review scores so long as they have fun, but the threads prove otherwise. :lol

Not a good idea to paint a community as large as gaf with such broad strokes, makes one look like an idiot.

Curufinwe

FlyinJ said:

I didn't know the 360 port was actually farmed out like that. No wonder it's so poor.

Lothars

lorddarkflare said:
Agreed 100%.

A tad bit too high i think. 7 would have been perfect. Converting that from edge, that would an 8.5.

Well I think the Assassin's Creed review score is perfect from Edge but the Dragon Age review is alot lower than it should be.

Though I have lost alot of faith in both Edge and Eurogamer anymore, I will have to pick up this issue of Edge when it's released here.

ksan

FlyinJ said:

Too bad they didn't review MW2 for PC then, as that port deserves max a 2, and that extra point for creativity in how to make the worst port possible.

bengraven

lorddarkflare said:
Agreed 100%.

It's about the 5 applying to both console and PC versions.

That's completely unacceptable. Not only was another team involved in the console ports, but I know for a fact that the PC version is less buggy than the console versions
no I don't know, but it sounds good

My point was that it was both "mentally handicapped" and "wooooooo" at the same time.

kswiston

Dragon Age has fairly bad dialogue at times (Morrigan's dialogue leading up to her "romance" scene for instance). However, there are some truly great moments in the game. The voice overs giving you hints on
what happened to Paragon Branka's guild house in the deep trenches
was as creepy as some of the stuff in Bioshock.

Also, while the story is pretty standard for the fantasy genre, the world is fun to explore, and your PCs are well characterized. On the PC, the combat is stellar. While I would debate their choice to make the easy difficulty so hard pre-1.01 patch, a lot of the boss fights and bigger battles require some strategy. It's been awhile since I have played an rpg where regular enemies are actually a threat if you don't pay close attention. I'm told that you can't easily pause the game and survey the battlefield on consoles. I can see how that would lessen the experience.

lorddarkflare said:
No shit.

I see nothing wrong. I love Bioware's games but even I know they're flawed. Its good that EDGE doesn't get caught up in the hype of a game and can properly review it. I believe they are also one of the few review sites that uses the entire grading scales, with 5 being average. After playing DA for a few dozen hours, I have to agree that the game is average at best, though I have no issues with it because I'm still enjoying the game.

Shurs

Google said:
EDGE believes that the 360 version of Dragon Age is average.

I agree with them after having played it.

You agree that Dragon Age is average compared to what?

All of the games you've played this generation? All time?
All of the games released this generation? All time?
All RPG's you've played this generation? All time?
All RPG's released this generation? All time?

Shurs

bengraven said:
That's

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_s6wxjn4-5Jo/SSsi-yJEaNI/AAAAAAAABkI/lMMRo4m1UVY/s320/down's.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

bengraven
[B]too mature for this board[/B]
(Today, 05:46 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yeah... about that...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AniHawk said:
I'm surprised Zelda rated so high.

Bayonetta's score sounds about right. If anything, it might be a little low.
It deserves at least an 11, if not a 21. I'd argue that.

Masta_Killah said:
I see nothing wrong. I love Bioware's games but even I know they're flawed. Its good that EDGE doesn't get caught up in the hype of a game and can properly review it. I believe they are also one of the few review sites that uses the entire grading scales, with 5 being average. After playing DA for a few dozen hours, I have to agree that the game is average at best, though I have no issues with it because I'm still enjoying the game.

I am aware of the way their scale works.

DA:O is definitely above average. There is not doubt about this.

It does however suffer from some glaring issues that demand it be scored lower that the 8-10 most of its fans were expecting.

But even with that, the game certainly deserves higher than a 5. Especially with some of the scores that Edge has been giving to some other games.(ODST, DSC, AC2, etc).

I mean really.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What is the point of avoiding the main platform of a title when you're reviewing the game? It's baffling. Not to say that the differences of the other versions shouldn't be brought up, just that you aren't going to really have a good impression of how the game was designed when you're dealing with an alternative version.

It would kind of be like reviewing Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox360. I mean you can...but the limitations of the developer by an inferior platform aren't indicative of how the game is meant to be played.

And I do think there is a very tangible difference between the console and PC versions of Dragon Age. Especially in terms of how many enemies are on screen at once.

kitzkozan

lorddarkflare said:
I am aware of the way their scale works.

DA:O is definitely above average. There is not doubt about this.

It does however suffer from some glaring issues that demand it be scored lower that the 8-10 most of its fans were expecting.

But even with that, the game certainly deserves higher than a 5. Especially with some of the scores that Edge has been giving to some other games.(ODST, DSC, AC2, etc).

I mean really.

Edge reviews of some wrpg:

Mass Effect - 7/10

Jade Empire - 7/10

KotOR - 9/10

Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

The Witcher - 5/10

Morrowind - 6/10

Oblivion - 8/10

Fallout 3 - 7/10

Diablo - 7/10

Diablo II - 6/10

Jade empire is better than The witcher,Morrowind and Dragon age of course. :D Oblivion is easily superior to Morrowind it seems.Without even reading the reviews,I think I can already figure out why Jade empire got a 7(probably because of the setting).

I don't think it's their favorite genre. :lol I wonder how they would score Planescape:torment(although I suspect that it would end up lower than KOTOR on their scale :lol )?

kitzkozan

Masta_Killah said:

I think the real reason why Edge can piss people off is the complete lack of consistency.

Edge can see past the hype with Bioware,but not Bungie? Why couldn't they see past the hype with GTA IV then? Somehow,they could unmask Kojima and see Metal gear for being the overrated franchise that it is however.... :lol

Kudos to them for unmasking Blizzard and exposing them for being overrated as well,but giving generous score after score for most shooters. :D

Having no consistency=no credibility.Ask any sport coach about how it's crucial to be consistent in order to earn the respect of your athletes.

And that would be 'average' to you?

_tetsuo_ said:
Please. Show me more of this.

Let us not, it breaks the heart.

The text of their reviews are not all that bad, but the scores...

:lol :lol :lol

Nexus Zero said:
And that would be 'average' to you?

Yes, just for the privilege of listening to Morrigan and Allister speak.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Man, I just can't seem to give a fuck about Bayonetta, but if it keeps getting scores like that, I may have to give it a go.

fallout

JWong said:
A lot of reviewers have pointed out many flaws in Dragon Age, but no one dares to give it a low score. At least Eurogamer and Edge are truly hard on games.
Nothing about the score here, but I'm actually really enjoying Dragon Age in spite of its many flaws. The flaws are abundant and obvious, but very minimally impacting to me.

kitzkozan

MattKeil said:
Not on its best day.

Mass Effect: 9/10
Dragon Age: 7.5/10

Doesn't matter what you think. :p Edge think KOTOR is as good as a wrpg ever got and everything else is mediocre or barely above average. :lol

There's no point discussing this much further,Edge and Wrpg don't mix all that well(compare the score of wrpg and jrpg in the mag and you get the idea.Now that I think about it,Final fantasy XII got a 9/10 from Edge).

ME had better pacing, but Dragon Age essentially shits all over ME in terms of content. A lot of what Dragon Age does what its quests are what ME wished it could do and ultimately failed at.

kitzkozan said:
Doesn't matter what you think. :p Edge think KOTOR is as good as a wrpg ever got and everything else is mediocre or barely above average. :lol

There's no point discussing this much further,Edge and Wrpg don't mix all that well(compare the score of wrpg and jrpg in the mag and you get the idea.Now that I think about it,Final fantasy XII got a 10/10 from Edge).

One of my all time favorites and even i know that this is not right.

ShockingAlberto said:
ME had better pacing, but Dragon Age essentially shits all over ME in terms of content. A lot of what Dragon Age does what its quests are what ME wished it could do and ultimately failed at.

I wish neither of them aimed for the same sort of quests. It is a terrible model and the developers should feel bad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, 5 out of 10? I guess I'll have to chuck my copy of Dragon Age in the nearest river, theres no way I can enjoy it anymore.

Top Bottom