• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lorddarkflare said:
Fixed for sanity.

ME is mostly inferior, but DA's bad pacing hurts it a lot. Pacing was ME's greatest strength.

I think that depends on the order in which you accomplish your goals. Noveria and getting Liara weren't so hot. Thorian was. Saren's base, Ilos and return to the citidel were fiyaaahhh. The party is also much more interesting in Dragon Age.

kitzkozan

Final fantasy XII got a 9/10,sorry. :p

Still,I am sure jrpg have higher rating than wrpg on that site.

I'm ok with that,but they should come out clean and be consistent about it.

I know France has a huge bias toward japanese game in general and it's a cultural thing,so they rate both jrpg and game higher than most western product.I have no problem with that and they even say so.

Being from Quebec and seeing what's happening in France,they always were first on anime or manga from Japan and it goes back to the 70's(knew about Dragonball well before it arrived in the US).You will look at a videogame mag from France and will be convinced that it's from Japan. :lol

_tetsuo_ said:
I think that depends on the order in which you accomplish your goals. Noveria and getting Liara weren't so hot. Thorian was. Saren's base, Ilos and return to the citidel were fiyaaahhh. The party is also much more interesting in Dragon Age.

Yes. I remember telling myself many times that DA's party is how ME's party should have been.

Wynne feels like she would fit in ME nicely(being dull and all).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think Wynne is good out of your conversations at camp. There's multiple times where she will flat out attack you for doing thing something she disagree's with. She's the most traditional cookie cutter character. Even still she's better than most of the crew from MAss Effect.

Kaiden and Garrus were boring, Liara wasn't much better, Ashley was a racist, Wrex was good and Tali was great.

_tetsuo_ said:
I think Wynne is good out of your conversations at camp. There's multiple times where she will flat out attack you for doing thing something she disagree's with. She's the most traditional cookie cutter character. Even still she's better than most of the crew from MAss Effect.

Kaiden and Garrus were boring, Liara wasn't much better, Ashley was a racist, Wrex was good and Tali was great.

Ashley being a racist flat out made her the best (still did not like her though). Wrex was okay and i love Tali, but she was not that well written.

And i agree about the others.

KaYotiX

Banned
Wow, just Wow.....

DA:O a 5?? WTF, im in love with the game on PC.....and its prolly my GOTY right next to UC2.

Never cared for reviews at all but did they have a guy who hates RPGs review it?

kitzkozan

Here is what Edge think of recent jrpg:

Demon's soul: 9/10
Persona 4: 9/10
Final fantasy XII: 9/10
Dragonquest VIII: 8/10
Final fantasy X-2: 7/10
Lost odyssey: 7/10
Blue dragon: 6/10
Infinite undiscovery: 6/10
Star ocean 4: 5/10
The last remnant: 5/10

Can you imagine that the Witcher and Dragon Age are on par with awful jrpg. :lol Edge is giving you their opinions of western rpg loud and clear.

Last but not least:

Fable: 8/10
Fable 2: 9/10 :lol

They don't even take wrpg seriously....

eXistor

I certainly don't think DA is the next great rpg. It's just a very solid effort all around with some great characters and a well thought out backstory. The world feels empty and lifeless though. In any case, I'd say it's worth a solid 8, but a 5 is just plain ridiculous.

Jonsoncao

Banned
kitzkozan said:

Can you imagine that the Witcher and Dragon Age are on par with awful jrpg. :lol Edge is giving you their opinions of western rpg loud and clear.

Last but not least:

The Last Remnant is an awesome game, most innovative jrpg battle system in yrs
it is just the learning curve is a little bit steep, and ppl bashing it all the time

kitzkozan

eXistor said:
I certainly don't think DA is the next great rpg. It's just a very solid effort all around with some great characters and a well thought out backstory. The world feels empty and lifeless though. In any case, I'd say it's worth a solid 8, but a 5 is just plain ridiculous.

I know. :lol

Next great rpg are Fable 2,Demon's soul and Final fantasy XII is the best of them all so far,being 8 in the list of the 100 best videogame according the Edge. :D

Stink

As ever, the irony in Edge threads is that when someone criticises games as being for kids, people go apeshit, but when someone makes a magazine aimed at adults, they're "pretentious". Very sad.

Satanyoka

Banned
Stink said:
As ever, the irony in Edge threads is that when someone criticises games as being for kids, people go apeshit, but when someone makes a magazine aimed at adults, they're "pretentious". Very sad.
Gaming journalists :lol

jabipun

kamiya.jpg

"Hello, my name is Hideki Kamiya, and I'm 5 for mother fucking 5. I can't even make a bad game if my life dependent on it. I shit good games, and piss out good ideas. It comes natural."

gamerankings/metacritic

Resident Evil 2 (1998): 92.4%
Devil May Cry (2001): 92.43%
Viewtiful Joe (2003): 91.32%
Okami (2005): 92.42%
Bayonetta (2010): 40/40 famitsu, 10/10 edge, 9/10 eurogamer

Satanyoka

Banned
jabipun said:
kamiya.jpg

"Hello, my name is Hideki Kamiya, and I'm 5 for mother fucking 5. I can't even make a bad game if my life dependent on it. I shit good games, and piss out good ideas. It comes natural."

gamerankings/metacritic

Truly a god among man. I submit myself to his greatness.

kitzkozan said:
I know. :lol

Next great rpg are Fable 2,Demon's soul and Final fantasy XII is the best of them all so far,being 8 in the list of the 100 best videogame according the Edge. :D

Have you played ffxii? There are definetely a some things Dragon Age does better: immersion, cast and some of the writing...but many things FFXII does better: world design, art, music, hunts, epic nature, less cliche etc.

A 5 for dragon age is bizarre though. Its probably my second favourite game after U2 this year...There is a lot of cliche in there, but its immersive, you feel part of a quest. Unlike being an aimless vagrant, as in Oblivion

kitzkozan said:

Last but not least:

Some of those(DS, XII, X-2, P4) are good games that deserve good scores, but some others are just awful!

Demon's Souls is the only one that should score higher than DA.

After that, SO4, IU, Fable 2 should all be in the negatives.

nelsonroyale said:
Have you played ffxii? There are definetely a some things Dragon Age does better: immersion, cast and some of the writing...but many things FFXII does better: world design, art, music, hunts, epic nature, less cliche etc.

A 5 for dragon age is bizarre though. Its probably my second favourite game after U2 this year...There is a lot of cliche in there, but its immersive, you feel part of a quest. Unlike being an aimless vagrant, as in Oblivion

A man after my own heart. They both suck at pacing though.

jabipun said:
kamiya.jpg

gamerankings/metacritic

Kamiya is awesome. What is new here?

linzin

Neo Member
ME's entire sequence from Virmire to Ilos to the Citadel is pitch perfect, especially Ilos and the Citadel. It has a level of tightness that's really lacking in DA. But on the other hand, DA is about three times as long as ME. In terms of overall content, DA wins. The overall depth of the universe, the overall depth of the characters, better world building, less cookie-cutter sidequest bases, more lore, etc. ME's pacing, though, makes the endgame more memorable than DA's.

Plus DA's combat kind of sucks. :lol

Overall, I would say both of them are 8 or 9s. DA has maybe a SLIGHT edge based on game content, but not that much. 5 is ridiculous, even if you take it to mean "average". If only all those "average" games out there were as good as DA.

That said, I fully expect DA's sequel to improve on DA's combat (just like ME2's combat seems to be far more advanced than ME1), and for ME2 to improve on the dialogue and character aspect, as Bioware keeps stressing that they have, so.

Edit: I didn't enjoy Fable 2 nearly as much as DA, even though I liked it enough to play it twice. Personal taste, I suppose.

linzin said:
ME's entire sequence from Virmire to Ilos to the Citadel is pitch perfect, especially Ilos and the Citadel. It has a level of tightness that's really lacking in DA. But on the other hand, DA is about three times as long as ME. In terms of overall content, DA wins. The overall depth of the universe, the overall depth of the characters, better world building, less cookie-cutter sidequest bases, more lore, etc. ME's pacing, though, makes the endgame more memorable than DA's.

Plus DA's combat kind of sucks
. :lol

Overall, I would say both of them are 8 or 9s. DA has maybe a SLIGHT edge based on game content, but not that much. 5 is ridiculous, even if you take it to mean "average". If only all those "average" games out there were as good as DA.

That said, I fully expect DA's sequel to improve on DA's combat (just like ME2's combat seems to be far more advanced than ME1), and for ME2 to improve on the dialogue and character aspect, as Bioware keeps stressing that they have, so.

Edit: I didn't enjoy Fable 2 nearly as much as DA, even though I liked it enough to play it twice. Personal taste, I suppose.

So did ME's.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jabipun said:
gamerankings/metacritic

you've got to admire the versatility.

JEKKI

jabipun said:
kamiya.jpg

gamerankings/metacritic

lol QFT!!

Bayonetta raisin the bar! Baronetta!

linzin

Neo Member
lorddarkflare said:
So did ME's.

But not quite in the same way. ME was enjoyable once you figured out that it wasn't really a shooter, but an RPG with shooter elements. DA is endlessly frustrating, especially on the consoles where you can't zoom out to look at the whole battlefield.

linzin said:
But not quite in the same way. ME was enjoyable once you figured out that it wasn't really a shooter, but an RPG with shooter elements. DA is endlessly frustrating, especially on the consoles where you can't zoom out to look at the whole battlefield.

Well i am playing it on a Pc, and i get none of that frustration.

Sort of the point as to why i bitch about the score.

jabipun

lorddarkflare said:
Kamiya is awesome. What is new here?

I am just illustrating the fact that Bayonetta is going to get a lot of high review scores. There seems to be a lot of people here that are using the fact that Bayonetta getting a 10 gives credit to EDGE 'losing it' in regard to Dragon Age score.

Can't say much for Dragon Age - I enjoyed it, the 360 version pales to the PC version sure -- anyway, back to Bayonetta...

ITS....AWESOME.

And I've been playing the PS3 version.

linzin

Neo Member
lorddarkflare said:
Well i am playing it on a Pc, and i get none of that frustration.

Sort of the point as to why i bitch about the score.

I've played it on both the PC and the 360. Played through to the end once as an elf rogue on PC, and started a new game on the 360 yesterday. (My poor laptop lagged so horrifically on the PC that I couldn't stomach the idea of doing a second playthrough on it. It might explode. Sigh.) I don't like the combat on either version. Besides the fact that even the iso viewpoint on the PC is too close and kinda gimped, the AI for your party is horrifically bad, no matter how you screw around with tactics. The AI wasn't that great in ME, but in ME, your allies being dumb didn't really hurt you much. In DA, your dumb party can get you killed. And the level of micromanagement involved in controlling your party when you get fed up with stupid AI is ridiculous.

I kinda feel like Yahtzee now, because I hated the combat system and I thought the whole thing was pretty cliche and all, but at the same time, I played through it on the PC for 60+ hours and just started a new game, so I don't know why I'm complaining.... :lol

jabipun said:
I am just illustrating the fact that Bayonetta is going to get a lot of high review scores. There seems to be a lot of butt-hurt Dragon Age fans here that are using the fact that Bayonetta getting a 10 gives credit to EDGE 'losing it' in regard to Dragon Age score.

Can't say much for Dragon Age - I enjoyed it, the 360 version pales to the PC version sure -- anyway, back to Bayonetta...

ITS....AWESOME.

And I've been playing the shit-crappy-fucked-up PS3 version.

Well i think it is silly to paint the entire magazine with such broad strokes.

I believe that Bayontta deserved its score whilst simultaneously being butt hurt about DA:O.

linzin said:
I've played it on both the PC and the 360. Played through to the end once as an elf rogue on PC, and started a new game on the 360 yesterday. (My poor laptop lagged so horrifically on the PC that I couldn't stomach the idea of doing a second playthrough on it. It might explode. Sigh.) I don't like the combat on either version. Besides the fact that even the iso viewpoint on the PC is too close and kinda gimped, the AI for your party is horrifically bad, no matter how you screw around with tactics. The AI wasn't that great in ME, but in ME, your allies being dumb didn't really hurt you much. In DA, your dumb party can get you killed. And the level of micromanagement involved in controlling your party when you get fed up with stupid AI is ridiculous.

I kinda feel like Yahtzee now, because I hated the combat system and I thought the whole thing was pretty cliche and all, but at the same time, I played through it on the PC for 60+ hours and just started a new game, so I don't know why I'm complaining.... :lol

Hmm, i dunno what to tell you. I had no AI issue (i am a vet of FF12, so i know my way around a gambit). I do agree that microing the game is a must (and this may turn off some), but i think that was the point of the combat.

Combat pretty broken though (no mechanic transparency), but not bad.

I have certainly played better games than DA, but i cannot remember any with better dialogue and companion characters.

I seriously cannot.

linzin

Neo Member
lorddarkflare said:
Hmm, i dunno what to tell you. I had no AI issue (i am a vet of FF12, so i know my way around a gambit). I do agree that microing the game is a must, but i think that was the point of the combat.

It is however pretty broken, but not bad.

I have certainly played better games than DA, but i cannot remember any with better dialogue and companion characters.

I seriously cannot.

Me too. Except MAYBE the Persona series, although I didn't play those in English so I don't know how well it translated. Bottom line is, DA's setting and plot may not be original, but the execution, story-telling, and character building is some of the highest quality you will get. Compare it to something like FFXII which certainly is more innovative but whose story-telling and dialogue are horrid, and you see the value of DA's writing and how that can more than make up for its flaws. (I poured 100+ hours in FFXII as well and consider it one of my favorite games too. :lol)

Btw, if you mean broken as in warriors suck and mages are overpowered, that's kinda true in ME too with biotics being way, way overpowered, so I didn't bring it up. :lol

"I have certainly played better games than DA, but i cannot remember any with better dialogue and companion characters."

Play BG2 or Planescape: Torment or Vampire: Bloodlines.

That said, Alistair is definitely one of the best characters in a game in quite some time. (Since the aforementioned titles, really)

Only Alistair really stands out in DA, though.

Walshicus

Teknopathetic said:
"I have certainly played better games than DA, but i cannot remember any with better dialogue and companion characters."

Play BG2 or Planescape: Torment or Vampire: Bloodlines.

That said, Alistair is definitely one of the best characters in a game in quite some time. (Since the aforementioned titles, really)

Only Alistair really stands out in DA, though.
I'm finding Shale to be quite funny, though naturally he has less dialogue. Alistair's can be genuinely hilarious with the incidental lines though!

Arhal_Katarn

Wow 5/10 is rather low, i know 5 is an average for Edge but Dragon Age is better then that. Some of the problems for me (360) are the poor graphics and the combat is pretty bad and the ai is terrible. I have had characters standing around just getting hit while they wait for an ability to charge or my healer charge into a melee, and thats with the ai routines set. If you want to slow down and switch between characters then the level of micro management is too high, too time consuming and just not fun to play like that.
I love the setting, the characters and the story but this game was made for the pc the combat system just doesn't work that well on consoles.

How good is Vampire: Bloodlines, really?

I heard it was a buggy mess when it came out and as good as it is after fan patching, there are still quite a lot of annoying problems. Is it like Fallout 1 (PC) where I spend a few hours on a mission, only to check an FAQ latter on telling me that the mission isn't actually programmed into the game but the developers actually left the option to start it in by mistake?

Saya

I think I would agree with the review score of DA:O for the 360 version. The controls and graphics just really put me off from the game after I put around 20 hours in it. So far, I really have no desire to go back to it. I wish they would've made a version for the Mac as well so I could play it like it is supposed to be played.

Suairyu

Banned
Pre-EE, The Witcher was horrible. Whatever metric you want to use in judging it, '5' seems pretty fair. However, post-EE is another matter entirely, but they never re-reviewed it.

Drek

Suairyu said:
Pre-EE, The Witcher was horrible. Whatever metric you want to use in judging it, '5' seems pretty fair. However, post-EE is another matter entirely, but they never re-reviewed it.
It was an excellent game pre-EE, just buggy. That doesn't detract from how awesome the actual game is, and it was getting patched out. Even buggy as fuck the game deserves nothing less than a 7 or 8 from even the most critical of reviewer.

syllogism

Suairyu said:
I've only played the pre-ee version and it was definitely one of the best rpgs of the decade

Huggers

People should be embarrassed by their ridiculous, overly defensive reaction to a review. Is it that hard to fathom that to some reviewers, DA is no more than a five? Are you that small minded that you cannot except that could be someone else's interpretation of a game? A game with significant flaws. Desperately hunting for all sorts of different agendas from the magazine is a joke. They didn't like it, you did, end of story. Come on Gaf

Darklord

Banned
Suairyu said:

Slightly buggy and long load times makes a game horrible all of a sudden?

Satanyoka

Banned
The Hug Dog said:
People should be embarrassed by their ridiculous, overly defensive reaction to a review. Is it that hard to fathom that to some reviewers, DA is no more than a five? Are you that small minded that you cannot except that could be someone else's interpretation of a game? A game with significant flaws. Desperately hunting for all sorts of different agendas from the magazine is a joke. They didn't like it, you did, end of story. Come on Gaf
You're all cool for being mature and all. Heads and shoulders above the pack.
BTW FUCK EDGE!!!

Aedile

wackojackosnose said:

Its technical issues at release probably hurt it's reception a fair bit. I know they kept me from picking it up until a few years later when it was $10 or $15 on Steam. Didn't have any technical issues despite not installing any of the fan patches.

Somewhat wonky combat aside, I think it's a near-great game. It nails the atmosphere of the World of Darkness perfectly, with probably the best depiction post-Deus Ex of a decaying crapsack near-future: the visuals, the script and the music are all on point. Most important for me, since the two behemoths of the WRPG industry give us games that are good but very much bound by their respective design philosophies, is that it's almost completely free of WRPG cliches. It also has the neat stuff you'd expect: multiple approaches to solving problems, some branching plot options with different endings and some legitimately creepy sequences (at least one of which everyone who plays the game will remember).

All of that said, if it had major technical problems at release and Edge graded more on grasp than reach, the 6 may have been fair.

Suairyu said:

YMMV. I loved the non-EE Witcher, to the point that I bought the EE solely as a gesture of support for CDProjekt. Admittedly, some of that enthusiasm was because I felt (as above) that the major WRPG creators were stuck in a rut producing polished but uninspired product, and The Witcher at least was something different. In retrospect, I consider it a very good game rather than a great one; but 'horrible'? Even Edge's judgment of mediocrity seems unfair unless they hold the genre to a standard far higher than they do others. Was the 00s supposed to have been a bad decade for WRPGs?

Darklord

Banned
The Hug Dog said:

I like how people get all "Oh you little children, it's just a game grow up like me and learn some culture!" yet a 40 year old man can bust a nut over tiger woods or an F1 racing team and it's perfectly fine.

wackojackosnose said:

People really seem to like it. I found it sort of dull and a little too claustrophobic.

Also, I know that W and J RPGs often feature some of the worst amounts of pandering of any non porn genre, but I found the pandering in this game almost offensive. Really other than the cramped nature of the 'city' it's the only thing that's stayed in my mind after all these years.

Darklord said:
I like how people get all "Oh you little children, it's just a game grow up like me and learn some culture!" yet a 40 year old man can bust a nut over tiger woods or an F1 racing team and it's perfectly fine.

How someone else reacts to some other situation in completely separate circumstances seems to me, unless I'm missing something, to be completely irrelevant. "Yeah sure I'm stupid, but other people are stupid too" is a meaningless thing to say.

Satanyoka

Banned
Darklord said:
I like to call these people, douche-monkeys.

Darklord

Banned
chicken_ramen said:
How someone else reacts to some other situation in completely separate circumstances seems to me, unless I'm missing something, to be completely irrelevant. "Yeah sure I'm stupid, but other people are stupid too" is a meaningless thing to say.

Well let me put it this way. It might be a game but its a hobby for most people on GAF, maybe even a profession(developer, journalist, ect) so its pretty silly thinking we should all accept an opinion and move on. We have opinions too and we're voicing them here.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Suairyu said:
How there's barely a difference between the non-ee and the ee version.:lol

Satanyoka

Banned
Darklord said:
Well let me put it this way. It might be a game but its a hobby for most people on GAF, maybe even a profession(developer, journalist, ect) so its pretty silly thinking we should all accept an opinion and move on. We have opinions too and we're voicing them here.
But your not Edge or some highly respected publication. Your opinion means NOTHING!
funny-dog-pictures-weasel-be-gone-demon.jpg

linzin said:
Compare it to something like FFXII which certainly is more innovative but whose story-telling and dialogue are horrid, and you see the value of DA's writing and how that can more than make up for its flaws. (I poured 100+ hours in FFXII as well and consider it one of my favorite games too. :lol)

That's true, it was bad.

lolwat?

Top Bottom