• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

CecilRousso said:
I can see why some people would rate Dragon Age a mediocre score, even though I would rate it at 8/10, since the game has quite a handful of flaws and problems. But I don´t see why I should pay any more attention to Edge than the average poster here. We are talking about a magazine that gave GTAIV 10/10 and thinks that Zelda: OoT still is the best game you can play.
Edge write well, so they're regarded as high brow critics. They're definitely a cut above the sloppy and unprofessional editorials of IGN, but they can be full of shit at times. I prefer Eurogamer, which is basically Edge, online, without the agendas and snooty pretensions.

theignoramus said:
Edge write well, so they're regarded as high brow critics. They're definitely a cut above the sloppy and unprofessional editorials of IGN, but they can be full of shit at times. I prefer Eurogamer, which is basically Edge, online, without the agendas and snooty pretensions.

I like Eurogamer too but they are being so unreliable sometimes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I know this is a bump but dont people realize a lot of those reviews were for games that were buggy as all hell when released? The WRPG genre is one that almost needs to be reviewed 3-4 years down the line when everything is patched and pretty, and thats both a bad thing and probably also an inevitable one.. And I'm guessing that Witcher review is for the crappy, cut apart original version, not the EE.

If there is one genre I wont trust media reviews on, its gotta be WRPGs.

AniHawk

HK-47 said:
I know this is a bump but dont people realize a lot of those reviews were for games that were buggy as all hell when released? The WRPG genre is one that almost needs to be reviewed 3-4 years down the line when everything is patched and pretty, and thats both a bad thing and probably also an inevitable one.. And I'm guessing that Witcher review is for the crappy, cut apart original version, not the EE.

Maybe studios shouldn't release the game until it's done then.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
Maybe studios shouldn't release the game until it's done then.

Agreed. I'm not saying I like unpolished game getting put out. It also doesnt change the fact that pretty much all of those games are much better experiences now then at release.

Fredescu

Dragon Age vanilla was pretty well polished. A bug here and there sure, and a week 1 patch, but nothing major. Certainly better than NWN2 after two years of (official) patches, which Edge reviewed much higher at release. I don't think there's much to excuse this particular publications storied history of getting wrpgs completely wrong.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think some people are just so fucking sick of D&D/LOTR settings that said settings can actual ruin a game.

Fredescu

Rez said:
I think some people are just so fucking sick of D&D/LOTR settings that said settings can actual ruin a game.
I think so too, and I think some people think the same of cartoon mascots and space marines. None of that is relevant to this review though, or their laughable history of wrpg reviews.

domlolz

Banned
I bought Dragon Age during the steam sale and I really don't agree with that 5, no way. Yes some stupid decisions were made and yes it does have it's bugs. But enough to warrant such a negative review...nah

Rez said:
I haven't read the edge review but Dragon age has far worse problems than it's art design settings. Imo the PC version doesn't deserve anything higher than an 8 (on my scale).

The more important issue is the nice thick cover this month has been damaged by the postman, making it look ugly. I'm probably gonna end up buying a second copy for the shops :(

John

They're too generous on Dragon Age.
emotcolbertkx3.gif

Wow at the Dragon Age score, I'm playing it now right after playing Mass Effect for the first time and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Sure the main quest in Dragon Age takes a while to pick up but once it did I became hooked.

They gave a 5/10 to The Witcher too which is one of my favorite games in recent memory, I did play the Enhanced Edition so I understand that the original was quite buggy. I disagree with almost all of their scores for the RPG genre.

Since they gave Demon's Souls a 9/10 it should blow my mind since I'm having a ball with DA.

mik

mik is unbeatable
domlolz said:
Modern Warfare 2: 9
Assassin's Creed 2: 8
Left 4 Dead 2: 9
***Bayonetta: 10(!)***
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks: 8
Sin and Punishment: 8
Dragon Age:Origins: 5 (360 version tested if that counts for something?)
Saw: 4
Lit: 7
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles 7
Football Manager 2010: 8
Tropico 3: 7
Spaceball Revolution: 5

What's important is they they ensure their average review score is always a 7/10.

*does math*

7.3 ... close enough!

andymcc

Banned
toasty_T said:
Wow at the Dragon Age score, I'm playing it now right after playing Mass Effect for the first time and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Sure the main quest in Dragon Age takes a while to pick up but once it did I became hooked.

They gave a 5/10 to The Witcher too which is one of my favorite games in recent memory, I did play the Enhanced Edition so I understand that the original was quite buggy. I disagree with almost all of their scores for the RPG genre.

Since they gave Demon's Souls a 9/10 it should blow my mind since I'm having a ball with DA.

i think demon's souls succeeds more as a great, albeit unforgiving, action game than it does a fullblown WRPG style game.

I have no idea why Bayonetta got a 10 (it might be well deserved) but giving Dragon Age a 5? What the fuck Edge. Seriously. What the fucking fuck?

IIRC they very poorly rated The Witcher as well.

Just hire someone who can enjoy good RPGs. This shit must stop.

andymcc

Banned
tahrikmili said:
I have no idea why Bayonetta got a 10 (it might be well deserved) but giving Dragon Age a 5? What the fuck Edge. Seriously. What the fucking fuck?

IIRC they very poorly rated The Witcher as well.

Just hire someone who can enjoy good RPGs. This shit must stop.

i'd probably rate them the same as i really don't like wrpgs and i love my stupid japanese action games.

HK-47 said:

Well DA does not really have many bugs (unlike Withcer and they both got the same score).

After having beaten the Pc version, i can definately see why they would give the console 5. 5 seems like it would be well deserved.

The PC version should have been reviewed and it would easily earn a 7/8 (on their scale, i think that this is what it deserves).

Rez said:

Yeah i am sick of it as well. One of my biggest problems with the game is that it is so bankrupt on original ideas, and the fact that the main story line is pretty bad does not really help.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
No one who has played Dragon Age dislikes it. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Seriously though, what's with Edge/Eurogamer having bizarre tastes in Western-style RPGs? Is it a British thing? What are their ratings for JRPGs like?

EDIT: My first statement isn't serious, it's just exaggerated for effect. I understand that every single game in existence has its detractors

andymcc

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
No one who has played Dragon Age dislikes it. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

i can name two people i know in person that are wrpg gamers and really don't like it.

nib95

Banned
Not that a demo is indicative of a full game, but I found the demo to Bayonetta rather mediocre. Maybe I'm missing something. Will likely buy the full game either way. In any case, I've never agreed with Edge on the whole, just too wildly inconsistent for me, so I eagerly await future reviews. Namely from Gametrailers, GiantBomb, IGN and 1UP.

Fredescu

lorddarkflare said:
After having beaten the Pc version, i can definately see why they would give the console 5. 5 seems like it would be well deserved.

The PC version should have been reviewed and it would easily earn a 7/8 (on their scale, i think that this is what it deserves).
The review is for both versions. They talk about both the PC and the 360 versions during the review. The problems they have with the game exist in both versions.

Chairman Yang said:
No one who has played Dragon Age dislikes it.
There are people in this thread that played and disliked it. No need to bait them.

Chinner

Banned
I do not agree with Edge's judgement of Dragonage but alas that is their opinion and it does not affect my enjoyment of the game at all.

Blackface

Banned
Everyone is loving Dragonage, people who are really into RPG's are saying it's one of the best to come out in years, and one of the best Western RPG's to date.

Yet EDGE gives it a 5?

I don't even know what to think.

Curufinwe

Blackface said:
Everyone is loving Dragonage, people who are really into RPG's are saying it's one of the best to come out in years, and one of the best Western RPG's to date.

Yet EDGE gives it a 5?

I don't even know what to think.

"everyone" is not loving Dragon Age. Get over it.

Fredescu said:
The review is for both versions. They talk about both the PC and the 360 versions during the review. The problems they have with the game exist in both versions.

There are people in this thread that played and disliked it. No need to bait them.

Well then...

The mere fact that both versions are given the same score should already send signals that invalidate the review, the content is irrelevant at that point.

These guys are ridiculously inconsistent with their scores. The reviews are not too bad though. Anyone know what they complained about?

Blackface

Banned
Curufinwe said:
"everyone" is not loving Dragon Age. Get over it.

More people are "loving it" then most of the RPG's that have come out in the last three years. Then again, maybe we should all be playing Spaceball Revolution instead.

andymcc

Banned
Blackface said:
Dragonage >>> Demon Souls >

i'll take action games over rpgs, thanks.

Blackface said:
More people are "loving it" then most of the RPG's that have come out in the last three years. Then again, maybe we should all be playing Spaceball Revolution instead.

do you even understand how reviews work? or are you just fucking stupid?

Fredescu

lorddarkflare said:
Anyone know what they complained about?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18566842&postcount=62

Negative about everything, but it sounds like the setting, writing, and voice acting bore the brunt. I can understand how someone might be burnt out on elves and dwarves and swords and spells, even though DA does do it's own thing with them. The other things though, I can't agree with. The writing and acting is fairly decent, and the overall presentation is quite good. The only cringeworthy scene I can think of was Leliana's song, and that was all about the animation, not "clumsy scripting". There are plenty of better overall stories, but Dragon Age is one of the best in terms of presentation.

Blackface

Banned
Scoring Demon Souls a 9 and DA a 5, and faulting DA mainly on it's generic content is fucking hilarious to me.

Not saying Demon Souls is a bad game. It isn't. However everything about it is generic. It's penalty systems are ripped off from archaic MMROPG's. It attempts to dress up "gold" by using a "soul" system. It's completely trial and error based, and offers less complexity, customization and variety than Dragonage does. It's story is the definition of played out, Someone awakened a sleeping demon, now a scary death fog is taking over the land and now soul devouring demons are destroying everything.

Lets be serious here for a moment. Demon Souls and Dragonage are different games, but they are similar enough to point out that EDGE is clearly out of their fucking minds. Personally I would give Dragonage an 8.5 and Demon Souls a 7, but to give one a 9, and the other a fucking 5 is ludicrous.

Fredescu said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18566842&postcount=62

Negative about everything, but it sounds like the setting, writing, and voice acting bore the brunt. I can understand how someone might be burnt out on elves and dwarves and swords and spells, even though DA does do it's own thing with them. The other things though, I can't agree with. The writing and acting is fairly decent, and the overall presentation is quite good. The only cringeworthy scene I can think of was Leliana's song, and that was all about the animation, not "clumsy scripting". There are plenty of better overall stories, but Dragon Age is one of the best in terms of presentation.

I am in shock.

The modeling? You mean one of the best parts of the game.

The writing/companion dialogue? Unmatched by most games released in the past decade!

THE ACTING??????????

What the fuck.

I can safely be placed as a hater, but that is just absurd.

The only thing they got right was the HORRID dungeon crawling, but even so...

Also, i hate Tolkien ripoffs(and this ones plays it so absurdly straight it can get scary) as much as the next elitest douche-bag, but they go too far.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fredescu said:
Dragon Age vanilla was pretty well polished. A bug here and there sure, and a week 1 patch, but nothing major. Certainly better than NWN2 after two years of (official) patches, which Edge reviewed much higher at release. I don't think there's much to excuse this particular publications storied history of getting wrpgs completely wrong.

I'm talking about in general, for all mainstream reviews. And I havent played DA so I wouldnt know, but I wasnt really referring to the DA score. More to Evilore pointing out the other RPG scores.

Blackface

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
yea, it got old 15 years ago.

Have you played the game?

It's not even really like traditional Tolkien. It uses basic Tolkien fantasy fundamentals, and takes them into a far more extreme direction.

It's what Tolkien would have made if he was on PCP.

If you are going to score a game low based on the simple fact that it has dragons, Elves, Humans and Dwarfs in it, then you shouldn't have been trying to review the game in the first place.

I may as well let my brother who thinks "All that Japanese shit is fucking gay", try and objectively review a JPRG.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Blackface said:

It's not even really like traditional Tolkien. It uses basic Tolkien fantasy fundamentals, and takes them into a far more extreme direction.

If you are going to score a game low based on the simple fact that it has dragons, Elves, Humans and Dwarfs in it, then you shouldn't have been trying to review the game in the first place.

I may as well let my brother who thinks "All that Japanese shit is fucking gay", try and objectively review a JPRG.

Our Dwarves Are All the Same

Blackface said:

Well it is not so much the similarity to Tolkien, but the similarity to the Tolkien knockoffs.

I read a very good deal of these in my youth, so...

Though the game does have its moments, but the mere fact that it played the main quest so straight, was pretty damn upsetting.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
People defending The Witcher are delusional, I think.

Great RPG world, kind of different setting. Horrible, nearly broken gameplay with terrible programming and borderline laughable voice acting.

I have high hopes that the sequel can fix these problems, as they were almost all technical in nature.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

I may as well let my brother who thinks "All that Japanese shit is fucking gay", try and objectively review an JPRG.
Dunno about that, the storyline and writing in dragon age is pretty average and by-the-book in my opinion. It's the weakest part of the overall package to me, the best being the character interactions / characters & classic party-based game play.
I think the game deserves determent points, for playing it to safe in regards to the storyline, but giving it a 5 for just that, is absurd. Because of how well-made the overall package is, in terms of polish.
Bioware also deserves props for putting alot of effort in the overall setting, even if the universe isn't the most interesting of settings, it has a lot of detail and effort put into it.

WanderingWind said:
People defending The Witcher are delusional, I think.

Great RPG world, kind of different setting. Horrible, nearly broken gameplay with terrible programming and borderline laughable voice acting.

I have high hopes that the sequel can fix these problems, as they were almost all technical in nature.
People like you are delusional! :p

JWong

Banned
I thought this topic died a while ago...

Edge had the balls to score Dragon Age for what it is because it does have a load of problems. A lot of reviewers had stated the same thing, but did not give it a low score.

Lafiel said:
Dunno about that, the storyline and writing in dragon age is pretty average and by-the-book in my opinion. It's the weakest part of the overall package to me, the best being the character interactions / characters & classic party-based game play.
I think the game deserves determent points, for playing it to safe in regards to the storyline, but giving it a 5 for just that, is absurd. Because of how well-made the overall package is, in terms of polish.
Bioware also deserves props for putting alot of effort in the overall setting, even if the universe isn't the most interesting of settings, it has a lot of detail and effort put into it.

Well put.

All the love Bayonetta is giving makes me feel so completely out of touch. Every time I see the game it just looks so completely uninteresting to me and so insanely flashly that I can't even tell what is going on half the time. So many people are calling it the second coming that I feel like I just must be completely missing something that is so obvious to everyone else.

Top Bottom