• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

grabbed a quick screen grab and an off screen image. I don't know if this does it justice. Though my computer monitors are older and not calibrated like my tv is.

34160125511_41c340efc4_h.jpg

34291232105_a6257441d8_o.png

A before/after might help.

I recall one of the shots FBX used to illustrate the advantages of his earlier palettes was the first stage of Wily Castle in Mega Man 2, if that helps (e.g.). That and some shot of a big tree in Faxanadu... Stuff highlighting how the teals hewed a bit too close to a green hue instead of a blue hue, I think. There was also a Goonies (2?) shot showing some slightly-less-saturated reds for the rocks, but I'm not too familiar with the location shown.

OnPoint

Guys, since nobody really played NGII, including me in April, I'm going to let it run through May as well unless someone has objections. I really do intend to play through it and discuss it here. Just busy haha

Guys, since nobody really played NGII, including me in April, I'm going to let it run through May as well unless someone has objections. I really do intend to play through it and discuss it here. Just busy haha
i'll be really grateful for the extension, i paid for the game and it's in the mail =)

dextran

I just want to say that ninja gaiden ii is my favorite game of all time. I'm jealous for any of you playing it for the first time.
I fell in love with it when I first tried it at Nintendo world at the javits center.
It's much more accessible than the 1st game. I even beat it once without dying.

So good!

I'm really not a fan of the level design in Ninja Gaiden 2. Level gimmicks such as in stage 2-2 or 3-1 kind of force a stop and wait playstyle, which is disappointing considering that Ninja Gaiden 1's constant momentum is what made that game unique compared to other action platformers.

I stopped here when I tried to play through it a few weeks ago, but that was also because I kind of lost patience by that point.

The timing for going through that section is pretty good I find. You don't have to wait if you are quick and don't hesitate before making jumps. I just go with the flow and let myinstincts guide me as I hop across each chasm. It helps that I played this game a lot.

Did anyone else finish the game. I took tomorrow off for work to catch a friends wedding in the early evening. I'm thinking about doing another run of NG2 in the morning or afternoon.

Beautiful! How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking. That box is in such good condition.

....now get cracking and boot up the game. You still have 2 days to complete it:D

that NG2 is clean af
thanks! i couldn't help myself and brought it bc it was so clean looking.
Beautiful! How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking. That box is in such good condition.

....now get cracking and boot up the game. You still have 2 days to complete it:D
gives me an excuse, forget to post pics of the top part of the box =)
i don't know if i overpaid, but i won it for 65 plus 6 bucks shipping, (he shipped it in a large box padded to protect it) so about 71. did i get ripped off?

i got to stage 2-1 last night with the snow and wind changing directions and then fell asleep bc it was so late.

AmyS

Ninja Gaiden II got a lot of coverage in Electronic Gaming Monthly. Many first looks, previews, a great review, mini strategy guide, tricks, awards and a game over.

Starting with EGM #6 - January 1990

TsAgL1x.jpg

EGM #9 - April 1990
S4AxzGI.jpg

EGM #10 - May 1990
N1Ad3tn.jpg

EGM #11 - June 1990
Cg9WaJy.jpg

EGM #12 - July 1990
RiqEdnc.jpg
1iyh1K4.jpg

EGM #13 & #14 - August & September 1990

EGM #15 October 1990
0wwqCRC.jpg

EGM #16 November 1990 - Spoiler Alert - GAME OVER!

(click to reveal)
cC6ZVmj.jpg

Edit: other magazine coverage

Video Games & Computer Entertainment review - June 1990

l7SZ7wX.jpg

GamePro - May 1990

A before/after might help.

I recall one of the shots FBX used to illustrate the advantages of his earlier palettes was the first stage of Wily Castle in Mega Man 2, if that helps (e.g.). That and some shot of a big tree in Faxanadu... Stuff highlighting how the teals hewed a bit too close to a green hue instead of a blue hue, I think. There was also a Goonies (2?) shot showing some slightly-less-saturated reds for the rocks, but I'm not too familiar with the location shown.

So this weekend I tried to grab some before after images and noticed that the FCEUX's palette wasn't giving me the same purpleish blues and reds it was before. I did some looking into it and it seems that the previous implementation wasn't the actual FCEUX palette but it seems like an incorrect or maybe custom version Kevtris was working on at the time. Since the update though it seems like it's been reverted to the actual FCEUX and since I can't downgrade the firmware I can't get you a before pic, sorry.

All those NG2 scans are wonderful to go through. It's such a cool window through time to see it now.

thanks! i couldn't help myself and brought it bc it was so clean looking.
gives me an excuse, forget to post pics of the top part of the box =)

i don't know if i overpaid, but i won it for 65 plus 6 bucks shipping, (he shipped it in a large box padded to protect it) so about 71. did i get ripped off?

i got to stage 2-1 last night with the snow and wind changing directions and then fell asleep bc it was so late.

I'd say that's a good price for sure. If you overpaid it wouldn't be much based on the prices I've seen it sell for before.

That Ninja Gaiden 2 looks amazing David!
thanks Morfeo!
Looking at that Ninja Gaiden 2 box makes me want to go back and time to tell my 11 year old self not to chuck my game boxes.
me too =/
Ninja Gaiden II got a lot of coverage in Electronic Gaming Monthly. Many first looks, previews, a great review, mini strategy guide, tricks, awards and a game over.
that rotten sushi-x giving gaiden II the lone 8. i couldn't stand him. Martin was the best reviewer.
All those NG2 scans are wonderful to go through. It's such a cool window through time to see it now.I'd say that's a good price for sure. If you overpaid it wouldn't be much based on the prices I've seen it sell for before.
thanks man! i think i overpaid for it by 10 bucks but it sure is pretty.
Shadow of the Ninja is one of my absolute favorite games ever. Love that it has two player!
i need to check this game out, never heard of it =)

been playing ninja gaiden and to the stage 2 boss on my last life and died. had to start over and quit. been really fun so far... going to try and tackle it further tonight.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
An inquiry to Jeremy Parish about choosing between the AVS and Nt mini led to him offering me his AVS for sale, so that should be on the way soon. Exciting.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anyone ever play WURM? Pretty obscure late gen NES release, that's not too expensive, that rarely gets talked about. It's got some anime-inspired cutscenes and a mix of shmup, sidescrolling, and rail shooting parts, in a way a bit reminiscent of Golgo 13. Strange but interesting title that I picked up on a whim recently.

Anyone ever play WURM? Pretty obscure late gen NES release, that's not too expensive, that rarely gets talked about. It's got some anime-inspired cutscenes and a mix of shmup, sidescrolling, and rail shooting parts, in a way a bit reminiscent of Golgo 13. Strange but interesting title that I picked up on a whim recently.

I own it, it's a fun game. Back in the day one of the creators had a home page dedicated to the game from what I remember. It was all in Japanese but it was pretty detailed.

OnPoint

We voted on it once. It may end up our pick some future month!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This is such a neat thread, did yall already choose May's game? I never played and beat the Ninja Gaiden series as a kid or adult, if it's not too late I wouldn't mind giving this game a go!

OnPoint

This is such a neat thread, did yall already choose May's game? I never played and beat the Ninja Gaiden series as a kid or adult, if it's not too late I wouldn't mind giving this game a go!

We've stuck with Ninja Gaiden II for May. I should probably get on that.

That said, we should probably start taking suggestions for June.

Also I was thinking of making it bi-monthly regularly from here on out.

Thoughts on nominations? And thoughts on switching to a bi-monthly schedule?

dubc35

I was going to recommend Tiger-Heli as I played some last night, and have nostalgia for it from back in the day. However I just searched it and it looks like it loops and doesn't have an ending like some NES games (e.g. RC Pro Am). So maybe it's not the best nomination, lol.

Top Bottom