• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Timu

Wow, Ninja Gaiden 2 won, a game I already beat 2 years ago(and took 4 months to 1CC it), oh well you guys have fun with that since it's a great game and it would be cool for more people to experience it anyways.

Lothar

Banned
Wow, Ninja Gaiden 2 won, a game I already beat 2 years ago(and took 4 months to 1CC it), oh well you guys have fun with that since it's a great game and it would be cool for more people to experience it anyways.

I'll do Life Force with you.

I forgot to go back and vote.

i'm not really a fan of nes lifeforce but it did follow the anime. so much more extra boards.
just didn't like that the 1p 2p ships were just repaint of the same ship.
the arcade had different style ships for each player and so did the anime.
i dont want 2 vic vipers. i need a lord (road) british in there =P

Tanoomba

Banned
Hey all!

Haven't been here for a long while...

Metal Gear for March, eh? Never made it particularly far in that one... It's brutally convoluted and difficult to get a handle on, not the least of which because it was an inferior port of the MSX version!

Having said that, no time like the present to try to tackle old challenges, although I will definitely make use of online info to make sure the frustration and getting stuck is kept to a minimum.

Spladam

heehee
here's the real Salamander OVA w/ subs on youtube:
Salamander Episode 1

i cued it up to the launch scene so we can all see Lord British's ship with the standard ships =)

I never knew Salamander had it's own show. I wonder if Lord British is at all a reference to Richard Garriott. The show itself seems pretty faithful to the source material.

So, is there anyone in here that has beaten Life Force without the Konami code?

Spladam

I can do it whenever I get the game!
That's a bold statement Timu, better start practicing in emulation. Someone hook Timu up with that cart for cheap, lol.
life force is one of my favortie shooters of all time, you can see my geeking out shmupGAF post on lifeforce/salamander =)

can beat it in a quarter in the arcade and nes without the 30 lives trick
I missed this a page back when David made the same claim. Beat the game on one quarter, that is no small feat, seriously.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
So, is there anyone in here that has beaten Life Force without the Konami code?

I used to be able to beat it on a single life (or two, that escape sequence was brutal). Those days are long, long past, though....

I was shocked when I played Salamander last year and was able to kit my ship out with an extra Option. The Japanese version of this game should be a mandatory pickup for any NES collector, and not just because it's a beautiful cart.

Spladam

I used to be able to beat it on a single life (or two, that escape sequence was brutal). Those days are long, long past, though....

I was shocked when I played Salamander last year and was able to kit my ship out with an extra Option. The Japanese version of this game should be a mandatory pickup for any NES collector, and not just because it's a beautiful cart.
I never understood why the NES version only had the two options, I'd assumed it was for balance or something. I do prefer the Gradius style upgrade system though over the arcade version, though the arcade version is one of a handful of games that I've played the most of on MAME, along with 19XX and Parodius.

I highly doubt I could be it right now without the Konami code or extra credits, though I've been meaning to load it up in emulation and try.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
My understanding is that the custom chip in the Japanese version (VRC2) made possible the extra Option. The Japanese version of Contra also used the chip, which supposedly accounts for the background animation lacking in the U.S. version.

OnPoint

I sincerely wish Lifeforce won. I don't know who is voting but I'm starting to think our system is broken since no one is playing or discussing Metal Gear (including myself).

I'll have to give this some thought. I'm also open to suggestions.

I sincerely wish Lifeforce won. I don't know who is voting but I'm starting to think our system is broken since no one is playing or discussing Metal Gear (including myself).

I'm voting, I'm sorry for being so quiet lately, but family and school has been taking priority.:( Metal Gear needs to be played and discussed, I agree.

OnPoint

Hey Rory. I'm not upset with anyone specific, and I'm not trying to point fingers. Just trying to figure out why the games we're selecting aren't getting much discussion lately. I guessing -- and it is a guess -- that the regulars aren't voting for the games that win, and therefore they don't have much interest or investment in playing them. I could be wrong. Not quite sure how to handle it yet.

Hey Rory. I'm not upset with anyone specific, and I'm not trying to point fingers. Just trying to figure out why the games we're selecting aren't getting much discussion lately. I guessing -- and it is a guess -- that the regulars aren't voting for the games that win, and therefore they don't have much interest or investment in playing them. I could be wrong. Not quite sure how to handle it yet.

Oh, no worries, I'm not taking it personally :) it's also probably having to do with the Switch and Zelda and other big name games being released.

Lothar

Banned

Suggestion: Everyone plays the top two games. Or maybe 3. NES games are short.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think the Switch release is probably at fault here. No discussion of Ristar in the genesis-club either. And yes, i am just as guilty myself.

Tanoomba

Banned
I'm guessing the most affordable, easy-to-find NES games are also the ones we've all played many times before and which have been discussed online ad nauseam.

Overlooked, lesser-known and rarer games would probably generate more discussion, but be a lot harder/more expensive to find.

I guess the trick is finding games that were under-appreciated in their time but are still fairly easy to find. Or, conversely, we could intentionally pick a terrible game once in a while just for the sake of analyzing what makes it so bad.

Oh, no worries, I'm not taking it personally :) it's also probably having to do with the Switch and Zelda and other big name games being released.

I think the Switch release is probably at fault here. No discussion of Ristar in the genesis-club either. And yes, i am just as guilty myself.

have to agree with this. though i new here bc i just got my nes recently. i've been very committed to the genesis club but haven't had time this month due to the new console launch. i'm picking up metal gear though and will play it.

Aku-Audi

Traveled back to my folks' place recently and got some things out of storage, including my NES collection. Nothing entirely special, though I did buy Little Samson when it came out and still have that game. Someone gifted me these Ninja Turtles homebrew cartridges too due to my lifelong love of TMNT.

It's been a while since I bought any NES games though... Should probably pick up a few missing games.

bd0n437.jpg

rB5Tuu1.jpg

KlZG8mm.jpg

grLhTmH.jpg

"nothing special"

Owns Little Samson.

C'mon. lol

I mean if you don't want it I'll gladly take it off your hands :)
LOL

That's a bold statement Timu, better start practicing in emulation. Someone hook Timu up with that cart for cheap, lol.

I missed this a page back when David made the same claim. Beat the game on one quarter, that is no small feat, seriously.
thanks! but it's not that hard really. the ending walls take getting used to and you're home free. gradius was hard. especially if you die once. life force you can still do well even if you die, being able to re-pick up those options/multiples and not having to redo a section of a stage.

Aku-Audi

Haha I'm ok with stealth bragging, provided it doesn't come off as obnoxious.
Haha what I meant was outside of that single one game, its not a particularly amazing collection or anything. Though Last Action Hero for some ungodly reason is expensive now? I haven't bought NES games in like 10 years and checking now I feel ill knowing that.

Let's do it bois

Zr5g4n0.jpg

If I was around earlier, I would have voted Lifeforce, thats one I actually own. Sorry guys :/

Haha what I meant was outside of that single one game, its not a particularly amazing collection or anything. Though Last Action Hero for some ungodly reason is expensive now? I haven't bought NES games in like 10 years and checking now I feel ill knowing that.

Nah you have some good stuff in there. If you like Mega Man... you have the expensive games out of the way, just go for the rest.

Anyway, heres mine. Going for quality instead of quantity here. Nothing special lol

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I for some reason own both Little Samson and its Famicom-counterpart Lickle lol.
yes i know this is bragging.

Teknoman

Work and...well Zelda have stolen me from everything else unfortunately.

But I do have both Salamander and Metal Gear, just need to pull myself away lol.

On another note, same for Ristar unfortunately.

Chittagong

Gold Member
After 30 years, my childhood Christmas present's battery gave up and I needed to learn to solder, to fix my first videogame, The Legend of Zelda. All the kit was cheap and readily available on Amazon.

I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube until I figured it looks easy enough.

For someone who has never soldered I probably moved the thing around too much, and didn't quite understand the desoldering pump. Regardless, most solder seemed to come off.

My cartridge was caked on solder, both sides of the board too. Heating up the solder next to the battery made me a bit uneasy.

I managed to yank the + pin out with moderate effort, but the - pin turned out to be a real fucking JRPG boss. It snapped and I was stuck with a pin in a tiny hole that wouldn't budge. After tons of heating, pushing, tapping and begging it finally popped out.

Inserting a new battery was easy. When unsoldered it felt a bit wobbly, as the pins are a bit different, but soldering made it stable. Soldering new solder was something else, holy jesus at the amount of smoke, I was sure I would set off the sprinklers (I live in a skyscraper). Luckily not, and I managed to solder the ends solid.

The board got a bit scuffed and brown, but to my delight the game worked, and holds saves now again.

Almost as satisfying as beating hard NES games!

1HppwlX.jpg

1ARfq2N.jpg

EwdNoQY.jpg

hY2jkTQ.jpg

OA2N5QZ.jpg

UlSZ38v.jpg

Tanoomba

Banned
After 30 years, my childhood Christmas present's battery gave up and I needed to learn to solder, to fix my first videogame, The Legend of Zelda. All the kit was cheap and readily available on Amazon.

I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube until I figured it looks easy enough.

For someone who has never soldered I probably moved the thing around too much, and didn't quite understand the desoldering pump. Regardless, most solder seemed to come off.

My cartridge was caked on solder, both sides of the board too. Heating up the solder next to the battery made me a bit uneasy.

I managed to yank the + pin out with moderate effort, but the - pin turned out to be a real fucking JRPG boss. It snapped and I was stuck with a pin in a tiny hole that wouldn't budge. After tons of heating, pushing, tapping and begging it finally popped out.

Inserting a new battery was easy. When unsoldered it felt a bit wobbly, as the pins are a bit different, but soldering made it stable. Soldering new solder was something else, holy jesus at the amount of smoke, I was sure I would set off the sprinklers (I live in a skyscraper). Luckily not, and I managed to solder the ends solid.

The board got a bit scuffed and brown, but to my delight the game worked, and holds saves now again.

Almost as satisfying as beating hard NES games!

I'm impressed! I'd be terrified to crack open a cartridge and start tinkering with it, but it is comforting to know that, should the need arise, it is an option.

Top Bottom