• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

Did you get your punch on with Bimmy and Jimmy during Feb? Hope so!
Get ready to play as Solid Snek in Metal Gear by Ultra Konami!
Hope you don't feel asleep!​

5VrczBX.png

Wiki wiki ya ya, ya ya:
The player must navigate the main character, a military operative
codenamed Solid Snake, through various locations, while avoiding visual contact
and direct confrontation with patrolling guards. If the player is seen, the game enters
the "Alert Mode." In this situation, Snake must escape from enemy's sight in order to
resume infiltration. The method of escaping varies depending on the circumstances
behind discovery​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Use this site to check prices.

Selection Process
Games are nominated two months out (eg: if game is nominated in March, it will be the
game played in May). They can be nominated starting one day after the post for a
month's pick goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).

The first five games suggested after nominations open that have not yet been played,
and were not nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- February 2017 - Double Dragon
- January 2017 - Battletoads (I'll make a post for this at some point haha)
- December 2016 - Crystalis
- November 2016 - Bionic Commando
- October 2016 - Castlevania
- September 2016 - Blaster Master
- August 2016 - Adventure Island
- July 2016 - Zanac
- June 2016 - Conquest of the Crystal Palace
- May 2016 - Wrecking Crew
- April 2016 - Street Fighter 2010
- March 2016 -The Guardian Legend
- February 2016 - Shatterhand
- January 2016 - Rygar
- December 2015 - Super Mario 3
- November 2015 - Faxanadu
- October 2015 - Monster Party

Spladam

My Metal Gear has the beautiful Konami silver box, not the horrible ruined Ultra one ;)
Nice, a boxed copy of Life Force. Also, why is that copy of King's Quest V in a Konami collection, I'm confused?
And I'm ashamed to say, but I've never heard of "Snake's Revenge", but I did beat the crap out of Metal Gear the first weekend I owned it. The Nakita missle was so amazing back then.

D.Lo

Nice, a boxed copy of Life Force. Also, why is that copy of King's Quest V in a Konami collection, I'm confused?
Because it was published by Konami and came in a Silver box.

This is my worldwide Konami silver box NES game collection. If a game came in a silver box in PAL (eg Turtles 1/2, Metal Gear, Rollergames), but not in NTSC, I have the PAL version instead of the NTSC Ultra version. It's reversed with others like Castlevania III - it was Palcom (the PAL version of Ultra) in PAL, but silver Konami in the US, so I have the US version. There are also region exclusives like Nascar, Jackal, Hyper Soccer etc as well as both versions of the Contra/Probotector games since they're semi-unique from each other.

If it was silver in both NTSC and PAL I generally have the NTSC one, but have PAL for a couple because they were my childhood copies - Life Force and Goonies and Gradius for example.

Some of them don't look silver in this photo, but the sides are silver (Probo II, Hyper Soccer). As far as I'm aware, I'm missing a single one - Noah's Ark.

OnPoint

I haven't started my attempt with Metal Gear yet. I think this weekend will be my kickoff. I'm hoping it's better than I remember it as a kid.

IrishNinja

I haven't started my attempt with Metal Gear yet. I think this weekend will be my kickoff. I'm hoping it's better than I remember it as a kid.

i loved it growing up but only finished it on the MSX port on that MGS3 subsistence disc...still so ahead of its time!

-KRS-

First NES pickup in a few months

First impressions after 20 minutes or so... Pretty frustrating (which I imagine will be hugely ramped up later on), but also fun at the same time.

That was also my first impression after buying it a couple of years ago, and I haven't really played it since then. From what I understand though, once you "get" the grappling/swinging mechanic it's supposedly really fun. I should give my copy a more fair shot and put some time into it one of these days.

Lothar

Banned

First impressions after 20 minutes or so... Pretty frustrating (which I imagine will be hugely ramped up later on), but also fun at the same time.

Actually no, hardest part of the game is the first 10 minutes when you have 1-2 blocks of health and no continues and worst gun.

Olly88

That was also my first impression after buying it a couple of years ago, and I haven't really played it since then. From what I understand though, once you "get" the grappling/swinging mechanic it's supposedly really fun. I should give my copy a more fair shot and put some time into it one of these days.
Yeah, it's always worth giving games a second chance!

Actually no, hardest part of the game is the first 10 minutes when you have 1-2 blocks of health and no continues and worst gun.
Ah, so it's not one hit deaths for the whole game? That's good to hear.

I played through this when it came up in the monthly rotation and loved it. Great game.

it's pretty fun. i loved the arcade but the nes was so much longer. loved the story.

OnPoint

Put in my Metal Gear cart today to test it and messed around a bit. I am going to have a hard time with this one, aren't I haha

I will hold off on my impressions until I get deeper.

D.Lo

Metal Gear should be played with the included map too. It's the authentic 80s experience.

If you're a cart only heathen, I would seriously recommend printing or at least having a scan handy.

OnPoint

=======================================================
VOTING FOR APRIL 2017 IS NOW OPEN YOU KNUCKLE HEADS

Now's as good a time as any to post this haha
It's time to vote, so get your clicking fingers ready.​

TO VOTE CLICK HERE
TO VOTE CLICK HERE
TO VOTE CLICK HERE

Voting ends on March 15, so get your picks in now
Seriously, it's a little less than a week away, don't delay.​

VOTING FOR APRIL 2017 IS NOW OPEN YOU KNUCKLE HEADS

Lothar

Banned
We should have nominated Zelda 2.

Can't decide between Life Force and Ninja Gaiden 2. Which one would most people in the thread have not played? I'll probably go with Life Force because I assume everyone played through NG2.

Yeah, but that's a bizarre list for this thread!

you never played solomon's key? that game is so hard and fun.

life force is one of my favortie shooters of all time, you can see my geeking out shmupGAF post on lifeforce/salamander =)

can beat it in a quarter in the arcade and nes without the 30 lives trick but i never got to beat solomon's key so i thought it'd be fun =)

metal gear i had to do a cheat that i read in nintendo fun club (or power)
to bypass and skip the computer room
bc i didn't know how to beat it. spoilers for the boss
i read you have to use C4, but i tried a million times using mines, C4 , rockets, nada, so i want to finally destroy it this month
hahaha

Timu

I hope it's what I'm thinking!

I don't disagree haha. I may have to start nominating some more mainstream picks to kind of normalize it, but honestly, I like that it's a bit strange sometimes.
For variety, yes, it's a good thing.

We should have nominated Zelda 2.

Can't decide between Life Force and Ninja Gaiden 2. Which one would most people in the thread have not played? I'll probably go with Life Force because I assume everyone played through NG2.
I already played and beaten Ninja Gaiden 2 back in 2015.

you never played solomon's key? that game is so hard and fun.
Nope, haven't played it before. I wonder what it's like.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

We played this recently in the club, and it really grew on me after the initial frustration. Ended up as one of my favorite Nes-games by the end. Definitely stick with it - and dont be afraid to ask for hints here.

As for Metal Gear, Im hoping I can play it this weekend!

Lothar

Banned
If it's anyone's first time playing Ninja Gaiden , you should really get and play all 3 games. It's a continuing story. They're all great and short. None of them will take you longer than a day.

posted this is the retro AV thread but thought i should crosspost in case people wanting to play famicom games on their NES, may unknowingly have these already in their collection:
just want to show the insides bc they have a hidden nes to famicom converter. these converters are the only first party converters ever produced by nintendo (nintendo never made them again) so they're rare:

here's an early cart i opened that doesn't have a converter:

I have a converter from an old Wrecking Crew cart. Really only convenient to use with a top loader, but still cool to have.
that's awesome! i saw a video for use on a front loader which was neat. since i got the top loader, i've been dying to try it =) unto hunting for a copy of ninja gaiden II!

SKINNER!

Banned
wouldn't those be Famicom to NES converters if they are famicom boards in NES shells? Just asking :)

also, probably a long shot but does anyone know anywhere in the UK that can RGB a Famicom AV?

Top Bottom