• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: FINAL STAGE (Sega 3D Classics, 3DS), out December 22 (JP)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

retroman

Alright, let's play 'guess the mystery game'! Everyone writes down three titles they think have the highest chance of being the top requested game. Here's my list:

- Virtua Fighter
- Turbo Out Run
- SegaSonic the Hedgehog

Miker

Almost makes me wish I hadn't picked up After Burner II and Streets of Rage 2 on the eShop this weekend. I already have all but Sonic 2 digitally but I'll still buy it the second it hits the States.

Almost makes me wish I hadn't picked up After Burner II and Streets of Rage 2 on the eShop this weekend. I already have all but Sonic 2 digitally but I'll still buy it the second it hits the States.

Likewise.

Feels like I'm behind the game on this. I picked up the first US 3D Classics, but this says it's part three. Did I miss something, or did they just release stuff digitally instead of as a package?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Miker

Likewise.

Feels like I'm behind the game on this. I picked up the first US 3D Classics, but this says it's part three. Did I miss something, or did they just release stuff digitally instead of as a package?

The international release was actually the second JP release. If you look at the cover art, you'll notice the flames actually resemble the number 2. Not sure why they picked Vol 2 to start with.

The retail collections are primarily made up of games that were already available digitally, with a few new/exclusive games thrown in for good measure.

The collection that's available in NA right now is actually the second collection--the first one was not released in English and there's been no indication that it ever will be, and who knows what'll happen with this third one.

The international release was actually the second JP release. If you look at the cover art, you'll notice the flames actually resemble the number 2. Not sure why they picked Vol 2 to start with.

Thanks to you both.

And now that I look at the box, the flames DO look like a "2". Hm.

Opa-Pa

We all know number 1 is S3&K Sega, what are you playing.

All I want from future 3D classics anymore is Super Fantasy Zone, S3&K and Ristar. Please...

Anyway looking forward to seeing another cover art by Sugimori. The previous two are fantastic.

Espiox

Where does it say there's 5 exclusive games? They list the five most-requested but they aren't saying they're all included (in fact, I think the implication is that numbers 5-2 aren't). Unless that counts Master System games, in which case, 5 sounds about right.

Side-note: I just tonight found the Master System power-off Easter egg in Archives 1. M2 are the best.

Given Sonic 3 isn't even included on the recently announced mini-Genesis, yeah, it really does seem like it's trapped in legal limbo. I don't think it was released on Virtual Console either.

What's the legal limbo? It's the first I've heard that S3&K couldn't be released. IIRC, it was on the meh Sonic DS Collection and other collections. Unless there's something crippling that prevents release?

As for the collection, I really should get on Sega 3D Classic collection. It seems like it'll be a hidden gem, and here's to hoping that this comes out to NA and EUR. Man, wouldn't it be cool af if they were able to remake Virtua On with 3D?

Het_Nkik

Nice! Will buy if it gets localized or not. I already imported the first collection and of course it's no problem since all the games have English versions (and even if they didn't, I don't think you need to know Japanese to enjoy any of them [aside from the story in Ecco]).

G0523

Damn, I just bought Sonic 2 and Gunstar Heroes not too long ago too on the eShop. You know Sega is going to release this outside of Japan just because there's a Sonic game in there.

AmyS

Holy shit, didn't see this happening. Realistic choice: Super Monaco GP - That game runs on the same board as After Burner II and Thunder Blade. AB Cop is another one.

Hoping for Outrunners or Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder or Super Monaco GP.

Model 1 and System 32 games don't seem likely, unless these are exclusive to n3DS with its much more powerful / faster CPU.
Don't see that happening, but, it is possible, because M2 talked about the difficulties getting Power Drift to run at 60fps on OG 3DS.

Edit: Hopefully M2 will do Model 3 games during 2017 ~ 2019. Because they'd like to do them.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...created_3D_versions_of_classic_Sega_games.php

No doubt, on NX!

entremet

Given Sonic 3 isn't even included on the recently announced mini-Genesis, yeah, it really does seem like it's trapped in legal limbo. I don't think it was released on Virtual Console either.
It was. Wii only tho. No Genesis games elsewhere.

Opa-Pa

I've been wondering about the legal issues with Sonic 3 as well. I've heard about the speculation before, but I wonder when it started considering Sonic 3 is available in both the DS Sonic collection and the Genesis one for PS3 and 360.

But more importantly, after a quick search it seems to be available on Steam as well as Sonic 3 & Knuckles. What gives?

Holy shit, another one? PLEASE let this be localized... I actually didn't buy too many of the 3D Classics because I was hoping for another collection, so this looks perfect.

I hope for the first collection but that's looking less likely as time passes by.

I would kill for S3&K on a 3DS, but all this mention of Outrunners makes me want that just to see what the buzz is all about.

What's the legal limbo? It's the first I've heard that S3&K couldn't be released. IIRC, it was on the meh Sonic DS Collection and other collections. Unless there's something crippling that prevents release?

As for the collection, I really should get on Sega 3D Classic collection. It seems like it'll be a hidden gem, and here's to hoping that this comes out to NA and EUR. Man, wouldn't it be cool af if they were able to remake Virtua On with 3D?

I've been wondering about the legal issues with Sonic 3 as well. I've heard about the speculation before, but I wonder when it started considering Sonic 3 is available in both the DS Sonic collection and the Genesis one for PS3 and 360.

But more importantly, after a quick search it seems to be available on Steam as well as Sonic 3 & Knuckles. What gives?

It's definitely got to be the music, since Brad Buxer (one of MJ's producers) admitted that the credits theme was later reused for Stranger in Moscow, and Icecap was shamelessly reused from an unreleased song his band recorded.

All the soundtracks and CD releases are also cagey about the composers for each track - they're just credited to "SEGA" while every other song gets a specific composer credit. IIRC Jun Senoue and some other musicians are sworn to silence about it.

As someone else mentioned it might be that ports and such are more problematic than straight re-releases of the ROM.

Holy shit Outrunnwrs and Virtua Racing?!?!?!???!

I wonder what additional modes and content they will add...this is the biggest news of the year so far for me.

AmyS

Outrunners would make me explode with excitement!

Me too.

4h1L5Hr.jpg

People seem to be thinking that list in the OP is what WILL be in the collection. That's incorrect. It's ONLY the mystery game which was the #1 most requested in that list which will be in the collection. The other 4 are just the runner-ups.

Opa-Pa

Oh yeah I knew it was the music, I was just curious about recent releases like the Steam one.

Now that I think about it even if they were to modify stuff for it (like they edited the car in OutRun), it wouldn't make sense to include it in this collection. I mean making a Sonic game exclusive to this instead of selling it separately would be silly lol.

Also is Outrunners really that good? I LOVE OutRun but I've only played the Genesis port of Outrunners and it's pretty bad.

Oh yeah I knew it was the music, I was just curious about recent releases like the Steam one.

Now that I think about it even if they were to modify stuff for it (like they edited the car in OutRun), it wouldn't make sense to include it in this collection. I mean making a Sonic game exclusive to this instead of selling it separately would be silly lol.

Also is Outrunners really that good? I LOVE OutRun but I've only played the Genesis port of Outrunners and it's pretty bad.

Outrunners is GREAT! Great sound and graphics, and lots of different cars to choose from. It's like an amped up version of Outrun focussed on multiplayer.

bumpkin

I wish they'd 3D Classic-ize Comix Zone and Sonic 3. I didn't own a Genny but always thought both looked awesome.

They need to rerelease Eternal Champions already. Sega needs to stop denying its existence just because their U.S. branch made a better fighter than Genesis VF.

aadiboy

Well, what are the most popular Sega games in Japan that haven't already been released as 3D Classics? Is Sonic 3&K even likely?

@MUWANdo

Banned

Top Bottom