• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: FINAL STAGE (Sega 3D Classics, 3DS), out December 22 (JP)

AmyS

Come on Sega, announce this for NA already.

4Td4Iil.jpg

AmyS

I haven't yet read the Game Watch interview but they did one with Famitsu that I just finished: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201612/22123576.html

On Virtua Racing: they started preliminary work on Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter long before the poll results came in, as it was necessary to start early in order to ensure the budget for later. They dropped work on VF fairly early on when they realised it wasn't going to win the poll but kept working on Virtua Racing for a while as it wasn't clear which game would win the poll until a few month in. Eventually, Turbo Outrun won and they thought about doing both games but there were complications with VR (not just technically but also nailing the movement) that made them decide to go solely with Turbo Outrun. There are some WIP shots of VR 3DS in the article; they estimate it was about 50% complete.

vFG5K2s.jpg

jGQ0Sf0.jpg

That's interesting.

It's probably for the best, though.

Besides, a pixel-perfect port of Virtua Racing (or Virtua Fighter) would technically not be possible given Sega Model 1's video resolution: 496 x 384 vs that of 3DS; 400 x 240.

Nevermind any other technical issues 3DS has emulating Model 1.

Best saved for Switch.

Raitaro

Bump.

Excuse the DP.

When the hell is this going to be announced for western release?

Wondering the same, so bumping again. Sorry.

Do we need to start getting worried the remaining games won't ever come over? I need Turbo Outrun at the very least! (If only the 3DS was region free...)

Not to port beg, but maybe the wait is signifying that Sega is gearing up for some kind of (3d-less) Switch re-release, like a complete package or something? That would be a good fit amongst the Neo Geo classics and games like Blaster Master imo, and also a very appreciated move since the small 3DS screen is kinda hampering my enjoyment of these games I must admit.

The wait continues I guess. Sigh.

Is it rude to suggest just buying the Japanese version? The triple pack is pretty sweet and Amazon JP international shipping is great.

AmyS

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but now that Puyo Puyo Tetris is out, any real hope the Final Stage collection actually getting released in NA ?

It was one year ago today that Japan's second 3D Classics Collection was released here (It's still April 26th here in central time).

Sapiens

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but now that Puyo Puyo Tetris is out, any real hope the Final Stage collection actually getting released in NA ?

It was one year ago today that Japan's second 3D Classics Collection was released here (It's still April 26th here in central time).

At this point, I'm ordering the JPN version.

SMD

Europe didn't even get the first one until recently.

Lettuce

So as it seem the 3DS is still get a fair amount of support would though to the end of 2018 what do you think the likelihood of AM2 giving us one last Sega 3D archives package!?. They could call it, Sega 3D Archives 4: Curtain Call

What 8 games would be on it though?, id like...

Rad Moble (Arcade)
Enduro Racer (Arcade)
Outrunners (Arcade)
Virtua Racing (Arcade)
Golden Axe (Mega Drive)
Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Mega Drive)
Psycho Fox (SMS)
Master of Darkness (SMS)

@MUWANdo

Banned
I have absolutely no expectations for another 3DS release and I don't think they'll even localise Final Stage.

On a related note, the first and second collections are on sale on the JP eShop for the next few weeks, 50-60% off the compilations themselves and all the standalone games from each collection.

e: also, M2 =/= AM2

I believe M2 has their hands full presently with their 'Shottriggers' line of re-released and polished classic 2D shooters. I'd love to see them do their 3D Classic spin on every applicable title, but they've clearly moved on.

Also, I want the Shottriggers stuff on a worldwide release, badly.

So as it seem the 3DS is still get a fair amount of support would though to the end of 2018 what do you think the likelihood of AM2 giving us one last Sega 3D archives package!?. They could call it, Sega 3D Archives 4: Curtain Call

Rad Moble (Arcade)
Enduro Racer (Arcade)
Outrunners (Arcade)
Virtua Racing (Arcade)
Golden Axe (Mega Drive)
Psycho Fox (SMS)
Master of Darkness (SMS)

RoDA and Thunderforce IV pls

Rad Moble (Arcade)
Enduro Racer (Arcade)
Outrunners (Arcade)
Virtua Racing (Arcade)
Golden Axe (Mega Drive)
Psycho Fox (SMS)
Master of Darkness (SMS)

Some of these are kind of a stretch for the 3DS, especially to be redone in 3D, like Rad Mobile, Outrunners, and Virtua Racing. It would be nice to see the series continue on the Switch, since the 3D support is nice but I'm more interested in having these games ported and curated than the 3D itself.

That said:

- Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (AC)
- Thunderforce IV (MD)
- Outrunners (AC)
- Alien Soldier (MD)
- Quartet (AC)
- Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (AC)
- Shinobi (AC)
- Seishun Scandal (AC)
- Alien Storm (AC)

Okay I cheated that's nine.

But yeah, it seems M2 has moved on to STG ports under the ShotTriggers series.

Virtual Racing was underway for the third compilation and it was approximately 50% complete before they put it aside.

I still haven’t got around to reading all their interviews. Do you know what the reason was for shelving Virtua Racing? I understand technical limitations or difficulties prevented some games from being converted into 3D, like Golden Axe.

EDIT: oh, I see you posted it months ago at the top of the page!

meppi

Well I just ordered the triple pack last week even though I already had the second one.
So I'm expecting that by next week as my package is due to arrive, it will be announced that it's finally coming to the west. :p

Im just super pissed that Turbo Outrun got selected over Outrunners!

Outrunners would have been more interesting had M2 been able to pull it off, but I’m not super pissed Turbo Outrun got ported. It’s good.

Hopefully in time the series gets revived on new hardware allowing expanded port possibilities, and without the burden of expectations of converting these games into 3D.

Raitaro

Outrunners would have been more interesting had M2 been able to pull it off, but I’m not super pissed Turbo Outrun got ported. It’s good.

Hopefully in time the series gets revived on new hardware allowing expanded port possibilities, and without the burden of expectations of converting these games into 3D.

It's all water under the bridge if neither won't be released in the e-shop separately worldwide or in a collection outside of Japan anyway :-(

To think that the cartridge collections, including the one localized volume, would actually lead to less localized e-shop releases overall instead of more of them has been incredible disheartening to me. I just want Turbo Outrun and Columns to come over, especially now that the 3DS is being supported for a while longer!

Top Bottom