• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cameron Lee leaves Bioware, wants to raise new born in big city

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I mean Edmonton is not exactly a small city. Really weird reason to leave, but to each their own.

I hate DA:I, so to me this isn't a big loss for BioWare.

A bigger city? Even I feel that my city is a bit too busy... with a population of about 150.000

Edmonton is absolutely huge compared to any German city. When I look at the medieval city I live in, I couldn't image living in a even more crowded environment.
imageo6rov.jpeg

imageo3ok4.jpeg

I wish the best for Cameron Lee. He worked on my favorite game IPs and I thank him for that.

Thats just not true, there are tons of cities that are bigger in Germany, the cities are just built differently. Cities in Germany tend not to have buildings greater than 8 floors. There are a few here and there, but the majority are 5-6 stories, whereas cities in the Americas tend to have compact downtowns with lage skyscrapers, but the rest of the city will be less dense than a German city would be.

Cities in Germany bigger than Edmonton: Berlin, Frankfurt, Essen, Dortmund, Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg. WhIle Edmonton may technically have a higher population, you need to compare Metro populations to get the real picture.

I typed this on my phone, otherwise I would provide better examples. Forgive my grammar and spelling too =P

Shredderi

It feels bizarre hearing people talking about how small a city is when it doesn't even have 900 000 people when I live in a city with about 110k people in it and it feels like a normal big-ish city to me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's less than 900,000 actually.

If you take into account the Metropolitan population (St. Albert, Sherwood Park, etc...) it's closer to 1.3 million.

Anyway as someone who's lived in Edmonton for 26 years, I can definitely understand why someone would want to leave. It's a cold, miserable city full of grumpy ass people.

supergiz

I came from living in Tokyo and Osaka for 4 years to NYC. And NYC feels like a small city now. Damn spoiled me Japan

Taker34

Banned
Thats just not true, there are tons of cities that are bigger in Germany, the cities are just built differently. Cities in Germany tend not to have buildings greater than 8 floors. There are a few here and there, but the majority are 5-6 stories, whereas cities in the Americas tend to have compact downtowns with lage skyscrapers, but the rest of the city will be less dense than a German city would be.

Cities in Germany bigger than Edmonton: Berlin, Frankfurt, Essen, Dortmund, Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg. WhIle Edmonton may technically have a higher population, you need to compare Metro populations to get the real picture.

I typed this on my phone, otherwise I would provide better examples. Forgive my grammar and spelling too =P

Are you trying to educate me about my own county?! Just kidding - while you're right, Edmonton downtown does look very impressive and huge overall. It dwarfs the New York of Germany, which is Frankfurt. No city here gives you this overwhelming feeling of sheer size.

Are you trying to educate me about my own county?! Just kidding - while you're right, Edmonton downtown does look very impressive and huge overall. It dwarfs the New York of Germany, which is Frankfurt. No city here gives you this overwhelming feeling of sheer size.

You won't get that feeling of size in person.

Shoeless

Edmonton is a crappy city, but in will be a very different city with all the construction going on in 5 years.

What's going on in Edmonton now? I grew up there, but moved away, so my memories of the city are permanently stuck in the 90s with Whyte Ave being the place to hang, Greenwood's books being the best bookstore in the city because there was no such thing as Borders/Indigo at the time, and Rebar being the big club to go to for the College Kids.

xealo

As someone in a rural backwater of ~20k people, seeing a ~1 million people city being called "not big enough" is very odd to me.

I think the real reason have more to do with the strain putting AAA crunch hours in would put on trying to raise a family.

As someone who's lived in Edmonton my whole life yet visited more than a dozen other 'big cities', I find this a bit odd.

Edmonton has professional sports, major concerts, great food, events and festivals all year round. Max commute here is like an hour one way, but for most people probably 20-25 mins tops.

Weather and geography are certainly complaints I could understand but Im not sure what a 'big city' offers beyond simple more people and more traffic. Never really felt like I am missing out.

Still, wish him the best and glad he's looking out for his family.

MadSexual

I think some people may be taking his excuse too literally. There are always a lot more factors when changing careers, moving, and starting a family all at once. Chances are he's on good terms with Bioware and just stating a true but only partial reason for his departure as a way to update friends, co-workers, and fans.

I'm just loving the hockey references in this thread.

Grimalkin

As someone in a rural backwater of ~20k people, seeing a ~1 million people city being called "not big enough" is very odd to me.

I think the real reason have more to do with the strain putting AAA crunch hours in would put on trying to raise a family.

Agree, he can't really say "game development is hell and I don't want to put my family through that" - better to come up with some mild reason to GTFO and leave yourself a bridge back in case you'd ever need it.

What more entertainment and experiences do you need than nature?

Ah, the rural childhood. With such exciting experiences of:

Is the electric fence on or off?
Cow-Tipping!
Can I outrun an angry bull?
Let's play chicken on the train tracks!
Unexpected leeches in your swimming hole
Tractor jousting
Is that snake venomous?
Getting shot "accidentally" with a BB gun

and so much more!

You guys are complaining about the fact he wants to raise his newborn son to a big city? What's wrong with you people? ._.

In any case, I wish all the best for Cameron Lee. Family takes priority above all else

bremon

The Edmonton hate in this thread...I don't get it. I've been here for 8 years, I love it. I grew up in MB and have lived in Saskatoon and Winnipeg so the winters don't even seem that bad. I have family in Calgary and I'm not tempted to move South. Where is he going to move that's bigger? Vancouver? Toronto? Montreal?

You can do what you would do in a smaller town but now pay a lot more rent. All weekend Netflix binges are better with non stop sirens in the background.

Yeah, that's the only benefit of the city. You know other than all of the different types of food, music, entertainment, jobs, people to meet and not having to drive literally everywhere you want to go.

The Edmonton hate in this thread...I don't get it. I've been here for 8 years, I love it. I grew up in MB and have lived in Saskatoon and Winnipeg so the winters don't even seem that bad. I have family in Calgary and I'm not tempted to move South. Where is he going to move that's bigger? Vancouver? Toronto? Montreal?

Really? I only read like one or two posts that was down on Edmonton.

As someone who's lived in Edmonton my whole life yet visited more than a dozen other 'big cities', I find this a bit odd.

Edmonton has professional sports, major concerts, great food, events and festivals all year round. Max commute here is like an hour one way, but for most people probably 20-25 mins tops.

Weather and geography are certainly complaints I could understand but Im not sure what a 'big city' offers beyond simple more people and more traffic. Never really felt like I am missing out.

Still, wish him the best and glad he's looking out for his family.

Lots of misinformation peddling in this thread, as usual mainly by ex-pats, a group enriched with people who didn't like it here and left (as opposed to those of us who do, and stay).

As this is an international site and people may not have heard of our city before, allow me to present you with some actual data from the Edmonton Defense Force :)

Metro population is 1.16 million

San Francisco travel writer on Edmonton's overlooked virtues

Edmonton restaurants ranked among best in Canada

One of the most advanced entertainment/sports venues in North America, just completed 2016

One of the world's best outdoor downtown farmer's markets according to National Geographic

It can get fucking cold, but not year round - the average high in January is -6 C and the average high in July is 23 C

Good luck to Cameron, hope he enjoys a big(ger) city! Something tells me Bioware's recent departures (including this one) have less to do with the city Bioware is located in and more to do with EA.

Edit: lol to below

PillarEN

Lots of misinformation peddling in this thread, as usual mainly by ex-pats, a group enriched with people who didn't like it here and left (as opposed to those of us who do, and stay).

As this is an international site and people may not have heard of our city before, allow me to present you with some actual data from the Edmonton Defense Force :)

Edmonton just shot itself in the foot.

I can definitely understand wanting to raise your kid in a city. The countryside and and small-ass towns fucking suck.

That said, Edmonton seems a large enough city to be dynamic and interesting, so who knows. Maybe there is another reason. I mean Bioware makes pretty crap games

nampad

Have you been to both cities? (no offense)

I have only been to FFM but even though it is a absolutely ugly city, it still looks better than what you have pictured. Also, according to wikipedia, the tallest building in Edmonton is barely 150 meters, which does not dwarf FFM at all.

Having lived in a bigger city for a few months. No thanks. Space, money meet drain. My home City is about 200k and its the right blend for me personally. In the PNW so it's not hard to get away into nature.

Apathy

It's Edmonton, you couldn't pay me enough to go live there. I already hate winter, there's no way I want to spend in in such a cold place. Also depending in where they were before, Edmonton can easily be a smaller city than they want to live in.

I live just south of Edmonton, and I was born in Vancouver. Edmonton is a decent size, so I'm a little confused on that comment. Unless he meant he wants to raise his new born in a city that isn't cold as fuck most of of the year..... That I would understand.

yeah, I think 1 million population is a good population, I visit Vancouver very often and sometime find the city too crowded and disgusting. At the same time, CHEAP FOOD.

Vancouver is only "crowded" with drunks and addicts. It's not a particularly populous city at all; it just costs like one because the economy and housing are screwed.

There are lots of reasons to raise a kid in the city. Not having to own a car is just one of the (many) advantages. Also culture, schools, career options, better pay, better food, entertainment, and just more options for life all around. It's not a complicated equation.

Most people want to raise their kids in smaller places, not that Edmonton is a sprawling megacity or anything but it strikes me as a weird place to leave to raise kids somewhere bigger.
it's a polite way to say edmonton sucks

signed, vancouver, where we just just 28 days of rain in the last 31 and surging 5-game mcdavid envy.

FyreWulff

I mean, they can do what they want, but Edmonton is a big city.

Your other 3 options are:

Vancouver, the city of 2,000$/mo basement apartments and where people pretend their homeless problem doesn't exist
Toronto, the city with air worse than the inside of a car of someone hotboxing asbestos
Montreal, the cold city and also the French are there and you can't take a shit without paying off the mafia for the priviledge of flushing your own toilet

"But what about Winnip-"

shut up nobody cares

"You forgot Calgary"

so did the the economy

Top Bottom