• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How Forza overtook Need for Speed to become the world's biggest racing IP"

thelastword

Banned
What a topic, it's just plain wrong. Forza has never been a big seller, not even Horizon comes close to racing juggernauts, no where close at that....How has it overtaken anything to become worlds biggest racing IP?

People are talking NFS, has Horizon even surpassed Motorstorm 1 sales yet?

Suzzopher

What a topic, it's just plain wrong. Forza has never been a big seller, not even Horizon comes close to racing juggernauts, no where close at that....How has it overtaken anything to become worlds biggest racing IP?

People are talking NFS, has Horizon even surpassed Motorstorm 1 sales yet?

It's the only consistent racing franchise, every year you are guaranteed a game in the series and for it to be of high quality.

Saying it's the biggest racing franchise is a bit tallest dwarf as there has been no Gran Turismo in nearly four years, DriveClub is one and done, Need for Speed is being re-tooled again.

Hopefully seeing Forza out there every year and being of high quality could mean that EA, Sony, Codemasters get back to releasing quality racers on a more regular basis.

Even the new GT will be ditching the offline career which is madness.

*Splinter

Page 5 and still this stuff. And if you say "joke article" you clearly only read the title.
Is there anything else to discuss in the article? I see people complaining about the sales discussion but the only other comments being offered are "interesting article. 2 dev teams eh? Neato."

I see three topics offered by the title:
"Which series is biggest? (sales)"
"Which series is biggest? (perception)"
"Is kart racing the same genre as racing?"

Any of these are more interesting to me than "Forza is good" or "EA sure suck huh?"

Bgamer90

Banned
It's the only consistent racing franchise, every year you are guaranteed a game in the series and for it to be of high quality.

Saying it's the biggest racing franchise is a bit tallest dwarf as there has been no Gran Turismo in nearly four years, DriveClub is one and done, Need for Speed is being re-tooled again.

Hopefully seeing Forza out there every year and being of high quality could mean that EA, Sony, Codemasters get back to releasing quality racers on a more regular basis.

Did you read the article? Seems like it. ::thumbs up::

Rembrandt

Banned

What would you say is the biggest racing franchise this gen?

Theorry

Is there anything else to discuss in the article? I see people complaining about the sales discussion but the only other comments being offered are "interesting article. 2 dev teams eh? Neato."

I see three topics offered by the title:
"Which series is biggest? (sales)"
"Which series is biggest? (perception)"
"Is kart racing the same genre as racing?"

Any of these are more interesting to me than "Forza is good" or "EA sure suck huh?"

Grow up. Calling it "joke article" just because the title of the article doesnt suit people its just stupid.

That's a bit of a stretch. It is the best and most consistant though. Hopefully GT lights a fire under Turn10 as I think Motorsport needs to be a lot better. Horizon is the standout game.

Theorry

?

I never called it a joke article, in fact I enjoyed reading it. It just doesn't leave much to discuss

Sorry i am abit annoyed by people who come in at page 5 or 6 and say the same stuff as page 1. Instead of reading other posts they straight go to posting and complaining about the title. Icant change it and its the article title.

kswiston

The receipts are out there. Just have a look at the NPD reports from the last 4 Years

All Forza games combined sold more than all Gran Turismo, Need for Speed or Mario Kart Games combined between November 2012 and January 2017 in NA and AU / NZ at retail
(this does not even include digital and PC sales)

So basically, 5 Forza games combined outsold GT6 + very late tail GT5, and MK8 + late tail MK7 in a few select countries. Worldwide, Mario Kart would still be ahead in that timeframe, since MK7 sold something like 7M units since late 2012.

I don't have a XB1, but I enjoyed Forza on 360, and always thought it deserved better sales. The Quality was there from the entries I have been able to play. I haven't tried the Horizon series though.

Duxxy3

Folk really do take umbridge if you even suggest a slight against the Gran Turismo brand, eh.

A passionate fanbase if ever I saw one.....

I love Gran Turismo. Put in hundreds of hours on GT1 and 2. Probably a thousand hours into GT3, but the fall off from GT3 has been enormous. 4 was a disappointment. 5 took forever to come out and had a lot of issues. 6 came out on the wrong system. Even sport, with its considerably smaller scope, is taking a long time to come out.

The series has been horribly mismanaged after GT3.

Regardless if it is the best all-time selling franchise, I would personally say its best. It has eclipsed both Gran Turismo and NFS in quality

m23

I don't have a XB1, but I enjoyed Forza on 360, and always thought it deserved better sales. The Quality was there from the entries I have been able to play. I haven't tried the Horizon series though.

It really does deserve better sales. It's one of the few franchises that continues to improve with each iteration. 5 was a misstep but it did a lot of cool stuff too. Horizon has brought a lot of new ideas to the franchise and I think it's great that each team pushes the other in terms of tech and general gameplay.

Gestault

The article's focus on quality control/project management is really cool, especially since we've seen such a long window of that successful planning. Re: people's reaction to the title premise, even disregarding the game quality and quantity question (which is worth noting in Forza's favor), the signals we have indicate the Forza series has outsold all other racing IPs in the current gen. If that were only one or two years, it would be fair to dismiss that as incidental. Companies work on different release cycles. But approaching half-a-decade into current gen, that means something. Hence the article. And combining quality, number of games and sales? I think that's why the article exists.

Cumulative series sales (in some cases reaching earlier than even the 2000s) are important, but in the context of this article, dismissing the write-up ends up dismissing important realities for both the industry side of things and for what matters to players.

If you're only looking at the headline in a vaccum, and don't look at the article or the selection in the OP, I do understand an eyebrow raise.

thelastword

Banned

In the absence of competition doesn't mean Forza have become the biggest racing franchise, yet it may default to what people will buy. I agree that we have not had a GT this gen, but we had a GT in 2013, it did 5 million plus years ago too. Games like NFS have fallen but that still doesn't mean Forza is the biggest racing franchise...You don't become the biggest racing franchise by outselling an NFS reboot....... .Forza has to do much more than get 90 metacritic to become the biggest racing franchise, it has to outsell the GT's, NFS's etc.....The biggest racing franchise denotes a huge following and adoption rate amongst gamers.....not just a good critical appraising.

Mario Kart > Gran Turismo > Forza
If you're going on sales, there are many racing IP's bigger than Forza without even touching the main juggernaut racers...

you know those numbers posted for the forza titels are just the first few months and minimum sales numbers?
4 months for forza 5
5 months for forza 6
5 months for forza horizon 3

GT 6 sold 5,130,000 in 36 months
Forza on Xbox One and Windows 10 has over 14m unique player

yeah thanks. changed it to 5 months (launch months is counting as 1)
Don't do the unique players bit...I'll tell you something, you can download a beta forza6 game off the windows store for free....I'm pretty sure everyone who downloaded it (myself included) are unique players of Forza....It's just PR fluff at best....An interesting figure would be how many persons bought the full version of Forza 6 (16.99) on PC or Horizon (59.99) on Pc for that matter......

xrnzaaas

Strange article. Need for Speed stopped being relevant a long time ago and the last reboot most likely put the series in the grave.

Bioshocker

MS has been able to get the right people at the right time for all their racing games.

PGR, RalliSport, Forza and FH have all been fantastic series. It really sucks that Forza is the only thing left.

It does. Out of those three I think Forza is no 2 at best. I adored PGR.

yurinka

Gran Turismo, Mario Kart and Need For Speed series sold more than Forza series.

And regarding new IPs, both Driveclub and specially The Crew sold more than the Forza games of their years.

Don't do the unique players bit...I'll tell you something, you can download a beta forza6 game off the windows store for free....I'm pretty sure everyone who downloaded it (myself included) are unique players of Forza....It's just PR fluff at best....An interesting figure would be how many persons bought the full version of Forza 6 (16.99) on PC or Horizon (59.99) on Pc for that matter......

i'm just giving out the only official information available from the publisher.
anyway. according to neogaf a maximum of maybe 12 people even use the windows 10 store at all
so it's still at least 14m copies sold /s

and it's no PR fluff at best
every publisher is focusing on (active) playerbase today. it's the most important metric now. only people who play your game, could potentially spend money on your game.

Forza franchise made $1bn
Forza has 14m unique player on XB1 and PC as of Dec 2016 ( up form 7m as of Sep. 2015 and 10m as of March 2016)
Forza is the best selling racing franchise this gen (starting November 2012 with the WiiU) at retail in NA and AU + NZ

that is the info we have. if you like it or not

Forza is the best selling racing franchise this gen
This reminds me of one of those formula 1 speed comparisons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5mRiY6Hmhc - Forza has been racing for 30 seconds already, and the tyre warmers are just starting to come off for GT :p

I do expect GTS sales to be way down on previous (non-GT6) entries; there's a proper competitor in Project Cars now (for the first time since Enthusia Racing back on the PS2), and GT5 and GT6 aren't looked back on as fondly as the earlier titles.

yurinka

correct

sure, but they also did not write biggest IP in terms of lifetime sales.
so the titel is not incorrect.

why not assume the obvious one they meant, that is correct, when there is space for interpretation?

even including Wii U and MK8 at 8.26m units sold this should be fine
Forza Motorsport 5, 6 (and Apex)
Forza Horizon 2, 3 (and Fast & Furious)

plenty of games, to sell a lot of units.
especially all those bundle copies and cheap sales after years

The Crew is over 10M units
http://blog.ubi.com/crew-celebrates-10-million-players-milestone/

And it's just 1 game, a new IP.

Krisprolls

Banned
It's definitely a better headline than "Forza is the biggest racing franchise after GT and Mario Kart" so there's that.

Not bad games by any means though. I just wish their lighting gets better and their cars don't look like they're made from shiny plastic anymore in 2017.

Elandyll

Banned
The problem is that the article makes a bold assertion in its title, and then proceeds on having nothing to back up or frame said assertion in the article itself.

It is an interesting article, for sure (although parts of it read borderline like Greenberg level PR "their competition is themselves, or Call of Duty" or my favorite "Playground, although not a 1st party, is one of the most important 1st party studios for MS by association"), but its title is at best a tad click-baity.

John Wick

aside from mario kart 8 it is the biggest racing ip, and many would argue mk8 is karting rather than racing. gt hasn't even come out this gen yet, i don't know why people keep mentioning it.

Lmfo!
The prologue of GT has managed to sell more than Forza titles. GT is easily a bigger racing IP than Forza.

HeliosT10

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Lothars

The way I see it, Playground and Horizon energized the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if they saved it.
I think that's absolutely the case, I am extremely down on the mainline forza games because I feel they haven't done a good job since 4 but all three horizon games are top notch and worth playing.

Forza is the top racing IP out right now, why are people getting triggered with the headline. When GT comes out we'll see, but it needs to actually you know... get released.

BibiMaghoo

Forza is the top racing IP out right now, why are people getting triggered with the headline.

Because it doesn't mention the 'right now' bit that you did. It is a blanket statement, which people correctly say is wrong. Those saying it is right are adding the missing qualifiers, as you did.

Not really a big deal, but it makes the title bait which people will take.

It's definitely a better headline than "Forza is the biggest racing franchise after GT and Mario Kart" so there's that.

Not bad games by any means though. I just wish their lighting gets better and their cars don't look like they're made from shiny plastic anymore in 2017.

But..cars ARE made from shiny plastic nowadays. That's another subject though.

Top Bottom