• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

What do you guys feel about characters that are sorta busted but require excellent execution?

I can't really get mad when I get bopped by a heavy execution top tier character as opposed to getting bopped by the latest UNGA

Better if most aspects of playing them involves harder than average execution and more precision rather than just "oh they have this combo for massive damage but it's hard".
Like safe jumps but you need to time them manually, Yamazaki/Johnny-style feint cancels but you have to be on point to have the best frame advantage off of them every time, cross-ups situations that are mad ambiguous but that actual cross-up button's hitbox is neither really big nor active too long so you need to be precise with it, staggered pressure you really need to time right etc.

Onemic

What do you guys feel about characters that are sorta busted but require excellent execution?

I can't really get mad when I get bopped by a heavy execution top tier character as opposed to getting bopped by the latest UNGA

if it means execution heavy in every aspect of their play then ya, I think they should be very good characters in general, but ofc not busted. Like Mishimas or Zato in GG

pizzacat

Banned
Better if most aspects of playing them involves harder than average execution and more precision rather than just "oh they have this combo for massive damage but it's hard".
Like safe jumps but you need to time them manually, Yamazaki/Johnny-style feint cancels but you have to be on point to have the best frame advantage off of them every time, cross-ups situations that are mad ambiguous but that actual cross-up button's hitbox is neither really big nor active too long so you need to be precise with it, staggered pressure you really need to time right etc.
Johnny is exactly who I'm thinking of when I posted this

even some of the simpler characters in gg you gotta learn these jump installs but johnny woo

its fun to see a johnny go to work

Thems Fightin Herds Beta NDA has been lifted.
Vids are goin up from folks soon. Lots of personality in some of these animations.
This game will forever remain a mystery to me as to why it was made and how.

That being said, the animations do indeed look quite nice, a lotta personality.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game will forever remain a mystery to me as to why it was made and how.

That being said, the animations do indeed look quite nice, a lotta personality.

Well the original was a fan project, then lauren faust saw the C&D and was like wtf is wrong with you for killing that and offered to make original characters, at that point kinda hard to back out specially when people were having fun with the original

Dahbomb

Yamcha in DBZ and Chaoutzu in as an assist character (as he rightfully deserves). Tien too which means return of the vagina hand move.

More interesting is a brand new character to the universe Android 21 which is some scientist looking female character. Saw a fan art of it, looks pretty cool. Hopefully they go crazy with the moveset on that one.

Yamcha in DBZ and Chaoutzu in as an assist character (as he rightfully deserves). Tien too which means return of the vagina hand move.

More interesting is a brand new character to the universe Android 21 which is some scientist looking female character. Saw a fan art of it, looks pretty cool. Hopefully they go crazy with the moveset on that one.

Android 21 hasn't been confirmed as playable, as far as I know. She got no gameplay details while Yamcha and Tenshinhan did in the magazine article. We might find out when TGS rolls around if she's playable or not.

If she's not playable, then it's a massive wasted opportunity.

Android 21 hasn't been confirmed as playable, as far as I know. She got no gameplay details while Yamcha and Tenshinhan did in the magazine article. We might find out when TGS rolls around if she's playable or not.

If she's not playable, then it's a massive wasted opportunity.

Yeah all they showed of her was story mode stuff.

NEO0MJ

It was made during the height of MLP's popularity

What's not to get

Probably helped that they got a bit of promotion thanks to the Skull girls crowdfunder.

Has Chaoutzu ever been playable? Even in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 he wasn't, and that game had Kid Chi Chi!

MechaX

I have been watching Max stream the DBZ beta, and he has done some pretty sick shit with tag-in supers (apparently you can have your team mates do their super one after the other if you want). Just saw that he did a Special Beam Cannon and then had Goku do his Super Saiyan 3 combo. Dunno if it was a true combo, but that shit looked sick

I have been watching Max stream the DBZ beta, and he has done some pretty sick shit with tag-in supers (apparently you can have your team mates do their super one after the other if you want). Just saw that he did a Special Beam Cannon and then had Goku do his Super Saiyan 3 combo. Dunno if it was a true combo, but that shit looked sick

Yeah I was watching a stream where Piccolo did a beam super and Android 18 did a super beam from directly above the opponent looked so fucking cool.

Comboing into supers in DBZF looks pretty wasteful since the scaling is pretty bad from watching more of the streams. Even seeing a 3 man dhc the damage didn't look too hot, even though it looks pretty cool. But seeing the damage off Max landing a heat dome in neutral looks pretty good. Might be like other Arcsys games where you only end in super if you think you got a kill otherwise you would rather use meter on utility. Though since there is nothing like roman cancels, supers with utility besides damage might be looking pretty good, like maybe since hellzone grenade has a delay before it comes at them, you can use it to set up more offense to rush in, or something like the heat dome grab by Trunks. Meter gain does seem very fast in the game, with ki charge looks like you pretty much can get at least 1 meter on hand all the time with how fast it goes up. Are there any other standout supers that might be more than just damage so far?

The game does have roman cancels tho, that's what the teleport is

Oh cool, is it the thing where they go behind them after knocking them away? Does it seem to be better than going for super? Also are there any restrictions on it, like only after certain moves and such? Lots of questions but I wish I had a code myself.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh cool, is it the thing where they go behind them after knocking them away? Does it seem to be better than going for super? Also are there any restrictions on it, like only after certain moves and such? Lots of questions but I wish I had a code myself.

I haven't played, not sure if you can do it after a super but I'm pretty sure you can do it off of specials

CO_Andy

We did and it's not. Mostly internally made outside the usual outsourcing that is common across most games.
this somehow feels worse than assuming it was Western made

ShinMaruku

You ride with death, not way from it? Good, what is death to the undying.

You wield cosmic power and carry the weigh of the pass like a shell of armor..

4194ee41f6e05e4182431343eb85511d781c35a9_hq.gif

I'd love some kind of article about what happened to the rest of the UMvC3 cast.

You mean the people that worked on MVC3? The two well known are Niitsuma as a producer who is in the mobile department now, and NeoG who left for SNK more than a year ago. Met him last november and he's a very chill guy, he explained he wanted to go back to created things instead of supervising.

As for the game it was made by Eighting, the creators of Bloody Roar. They made Tatsunoko too.

We all knew it was made internally from the start. Artsyle (character modelling), UI and roster aside I think this feels like a fresh and welcome new take on the VS genre.

It's fresh ugly take on the VS genre for sure.

You mean the people that worked on MVC3? The two well known are Niitsuma as a producer who is in the mobile department now, and NeoG who left for SNK more than a year ago. Met him last november and he's a very chill guy, he explained he wanted to go back to created things instead of supervising.

As for the game it was made by Eighting, the creators of Bloody Roar. They made Tatsunoko too.

It's fresh ugly take on the VS genre for sure.

Good to know re: Niitsuma, but I meant information about the playable characters. MvCi is 90% a copy-paste job, but it can't even be bothered to copy-paste everyone over, and that's really confusing to me.

Dahbomb

Good to know re: Niitsuma, but I meant information about the playable characters. MvCi is 90% a copy-paste job, but it can't even be bothered to copy-paste everyone over, and that's really confusing to me.
Bruh do you really gotta ask?

They are saving Wecker, Vergil, the Clover characters and the X Men for DLC monies.

They are pushing the game out as fast as they can so that they can launch with the minimum amount of characters on day 1 without getting absolutely trashed for it and release rest as DLC down the line.

Also it makes it harder for them to include the Capcom characters when so many of the X Men characters can't return as well (because Marvel). Gotta have that even split of characters.

But they could've easily had Iron Fist, She Hulk, MODOK, and Taskmaster in the game alongside Wecker, Vergil, Joe and Ammy. None of those characters have any restriction on them.. MODOK's model is already in the game!

Everything that isn't the actual game play is clearly thought of by suits in a board room. Like if I was a greedy company man and was thinking to myself "how can I squeeze maximum profit from MVC?" then I would make MVCI.

Edit: My phone keeps spell correcting "Wesker" into "Wecker" for some reason. I can't be bothered to go back and fix it plus it's just funnier this way.

Top Bottom