• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

O_O Dont you even joke. I have a very deep love of that game and its Sentinel. Body splaaaaaaaaaash.
ebNzwGp.jpg
VkpTv7x.gif

Crossup? Maybe. Hard to AA? ABSOLUTELY!

It's a game that's very dear to my heart as well. There's 2 main things I like doing.

1. Optic blast
2. Bigger optic blast when I have meter

shaowebb

That was me. :p
If you want me to try some other stuff just ask. I'll be playing the game tomorrow too but I can't show the anything else than versus and training.
Im just thankful for the Spidey showcase. That slingshot kick of his into the wallbounce has me excited. That and that his command normals are cancelable. I keep thinking Spidey+ Nova, Strider or Ghost Rider would be sick for combo extensions.

I also found your Ryu Tatsu info pretty damned cool. It had completely slipped by me that they had changed it so much. Same goes for shield throws with Cap.
Shaowebb I told you everything about Ghost Rider when you said you thought he still sucks.

It took seeing him for a bit for me to get it though.Im definitely a believer now after just watching the tools for a bit and seeing his ranges and pickup ability. I think the screen size difference was the main thing. It just doesn't stick with me that folks cant run now like they used to. Plus I really hadn't seen that mashable before. I had no idea it was so nifty. At first I thought it was like Polimars Razor kick...a mashable that cancelled into a high or low at the end. Even if those are all mids its still nice though. Bet I could AA with that and then turn it into something. He's definitely hard to avoid now compared to UMVC3 and he seems like he should be better able to combo and deal with pressure with how his tools looked to behave in the lab.

What can I say. I've had this preordered but I aint been like you or Karst pouring over it heavily. I've caught what I've caught from the trailers and not done more than the Bum stream and some Maximillian vids. My main attention has been on DBFZ and Arcana Heart Six Stars info. Im definitely discovering how much has slipped past me and how big a difference the subtle changes like screen sizes, normal speeds, and OTG changes have made in how I should be viewing old or new characters in MVCI. Im legit getting excited for launch even without new cast at this point.

They should have been doing detailed character change breakdowns from the start for every character.

NEO0MJ

O_O Dont you even joke. I have a very deep love of that game and its Sentinel. Body splaaaaaaaaaash.
ebNzwGp.jpg
VkpTv7x.gif

Crossup? Maybe. Hard to AA? ABSOLUTELY!

While I didn't play that game I was sad to see how much Sentinel was butchered to fit in Marvel 2. Shame that it has now become the main version of the character.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IIRC Marvel's camera during super jumps works the way it does so that it's a tradeoff between mobility/escaping a situation and being vulnerable to a mixup. Which seems counterintuitive at first, but at anything above a beginner's level, the superjumping character doesn't know what they're coming down into and the other player can call assists or create a set up for the super jumping character who doesn't know exactly where they will land but it could be a trap that has a considerable hit box.

Whether they intentionally wanted that or it was an unintended consequence that they later embraced, I can see justification for why it is how it is.

IIRC Marvel's camera during super jumps works the way it does so that it's a tradeoff between mobility/escaping a situation and being vulnerable to a mixup. Which seems counterintuitive at first, but at anything above a beginner's level, the superjumping character doesn't know what they're coming down into and the other player can call assists or create a set up for the super jumping character who doesn't know exactly where they will land but it could be a trap that has a considerable hit box.

Whether they intentionally wanted that or it was an unintended consequence that they later embraced, I can see justification for why it is how it is.

Well they didn't have the tech to zoom out in the early games. It ain't broke so they didn't fix it.

Samurai showdown and LB2 are sprite games that zoom out. They could have done it...

That's an interesting point, although neogeo hardware wasn't identical to cps2 hardware. They at least chose not to zoom out and I think it was the right choice.

On another note, Skullgirls is a weird game. There's a lot of things I like about it and a lot of things I dislike about it. But for now I'm playing it.

Wallach

just popping in to say COTA was THE SHIT on my saturn

the OG magneto, MvC magneto wasn't shit compared to that dude

also fond memories of counterpicking iceman because my brother just would not play anyone other than cyclops, fuck your chip damage

The Curleh Finale of Marvel 3!

One.. last... ride!!!

It's a shame that it seems like everyone's ignoring this. Yipes did the exact same thing with the very first Curleh. It was a sendoff for vanilla right before ultimate came out.

The first two Curlehs debuted the Quicksilver glitch and Chris G's bullet hell to the world. UMVC3 Isn't quite done yet. Let's have one last bigass tourney with maximum hype before we get the new game. Let's end this shit with a bang.

MrCarter

As expected it seems like Injustice 2 has some legs judging by this months NPD. Tekken 7 however has fallen off a cliff. Pun intended.

tumblr_orv0smwFUB1wnvcq1o1_400.gif

MrCarter

One shill leaves, another enters.

lol you can talk. Still I'm surprised Tekken 7 didn't do as well as it should have (especially with the way some peope talk about it) but I guess it just doesn't have the casual appeal like Injustice does. NRS really does know that market.

AAK

Aside from the subjective nature on how you rank the gameplay/presentation, NRS did everything better with MKX and IJ2 than every other fighting game developer and deserves the success.

I suppose the most impressive thing about Injustice 2 is that NRS released MKX in early April of 2015 while Tekken 7 was released in arcades in late March 2015. Between now and then NRS completed development on IJ2 all while supporting MKX before Namco released their barely serviceable console port of Tekken 7.

MrCarter

ARMS is gone too.

Interested to see how MvCI charts next NPD.

Same. I highly doubt it will be as strong as Injustice even though they share the concept of popular super heroes and villains. The game is way too complex for casual fans to pick up and play.

I suppose the most impressive thing about Injustice 2 is that NRS released MKX in early April of 2015 while Tekken 7 was released in arcades in late March 2015. Between now and then NRS completed development on IJ2 all while supporting MKX before Namco released their barely serviceable console port of Tekken 7.

Yeah that's the kicker. Even after the very long amount of development time and the game being delayed it still came out barebones in comparison to it's predecessor.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Same. I highly doubt it will be as strong as Injustice even though they share the concept of popular super heroes and villains. The game is way too complex for casual fans to pick up and play.
Marvel a 0 point in its history has ever been too complex to pick and play for casuals wtf you on about

MrCarter

Marvel a 0 point in its history has ever been too complex to pick and play for casuals wtf you on about

Depends on your definition of "casual" so I'm not sure what you are on about. If I gave my family or friends who haven't played a fighter in years either Injustice or MvCi it's pretty obvious they would pick up the former as it's far easier to get into and play. NRS are very good at appealing to that market.

Random crush counter leading to high damage 50/50 mixups.
SF5 is so scrub friendly:
https://twitter.com/Fuyu1109/status/907413428330938368

#HighExecution

Phoenix smasher is a notorious tekken attack that does monster damage on counter (hence the nickname death fist). It's unsafe on block but because of it's monster pushback it makes it hard to punish it. However, if you sit in training mode for 10 minutes you can more than likely find a punish whether it is a simple poke to start your turn. Not only, this is a 3d game, the move has terrible tracking and can be EASILY sidestepped for full combo. But this Hwo was not considered about that move, he wanted to do fake-mixups to pressure his opponent so the Paul recognized this and threw The move out (which I applaud him for doing). Literally all he had to do was play safe and bait it out with a quick sidestep but he loves mashing.

P.S I love your gimmick of trashing every game not Capcom with misinformation and misleading...

Phoenix smasher is a notorious tekken attack that does monster damage on counter (hence the nickname death fist). It's unsafe on block but because of it's monster pushback it makes it hard to punish it. However, if you sit in training mode for 10 minutes you can more than likely find a punish whether it is a simple poke to start your turn. Not only, this is a 3d game, the move has terrible tracking and can be EASILY sidestepped for full combo. But this Hwo was not considered about that move, he wanted to do fake-mixups to pressure his opponent so the Paul recognized this and threw The move out (which I applaud him for doing). Literally all he had to do was play safe and bait it out with a quick sidestep but he loves mashing.

P.S I love your gimmick of trashing every game not Capcom with misinformation and misleading...

I swear this guy monitors other FG threads just in case somebody's talking shit

like a literal CapCop

Dahbomb

Depends on what you mean by pick and play. You can easily boot it up and mash buttons with your friends doing cool shit.

Trying to play them even in a semi competitive manner? Nah you are going to spend years getting washed in these games before you get decent. It was true in Marvel 2, it was true in Marvel 3 and it's going to be true in MVCI.

Casuals are going to get washed super hard in MVCI. Even worse than Marvel 3 in fact. This game is super lab heavy and most people don't have the patience for that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Depends on what you mean by pick and play. You can easily boot it up and mash buttons with your friends doing cool shit.

Trying to play them even in a semi competitive manner? Nah you are going to spend years getting washed in these games before you get decent. It was true in Marvel 2, it was true in Marvel 3 and it's going to be true in MVCI.
CASUALS

Getting washed trying to be semi competive is something in every fighting game

Mk clunky ass style isn't somehow easier. NRS shit is more popular to casuals because they just make cooler shit, it scores high for positive feedback, has fun casual modes for positive feedback, and has mortal kombat history for once again positive casual feedback

Dahbomb

CASUALS

Getting washed trying to be semi competive is something in every fighting game
Every multiplayer game is super casual if you play at a casual level. I am not sure what you are even trying to insinuate here. The difficulty scales with the level of competition.

The VS games naturally have a higher curve from getting to casual to competent especially when compared to like a SF game. They are faster, have more stuff to keep up with, more mobility options, harder to react to stuff, require multiple characters to play at a time and just in general very non intuitive mechanics that you never get the grasp of until you have played and lost a lot. Only people who say VS games are easy are those who have either been playing FGs all their life or those who don't know what they are talking about.

Top Bottom