• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Sony

Nintendo
Regarding Cercei, I think
she will die soon. She's pregnant with a 4th child and the witch prophesized that she would have 3 children. If that is true then the baby will die in the womb

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
We all know that it's going to end with the red comet smashing into Westeros and sitting on the Iron Throne.

CloudWolf

God damn HBO Spain aired the thing accidentally, what the hell? this level of incompetence lol

But yeah spoilers are coming.

This is like how Showtime Germany just straight up aired Twin Peaks a week too early two weeks ago. I wonder how the hell stuff like this happens with these big name shows. You'd think that there would be like twenty safety nets in place to prevent these things from happening.

I saw something I wasn't supposed to see :(
Sorry to hear that. I remember the week The Force Awakens came out, trolls were spamming spoilers all over totally random comment sections of YouTube and Facebook. Two weeks ago, YouTube recommended a video the title of which spoiled the loot train sequence for me, too. So I sort of assume I will get spoiled this time around on these last two episodes.

Gigglepoo

In Martin world, characters die because of their own weaknesses. What weaknesses does Jon even have that could lead to his downfall? I can't think of any. A poetic death is basically impossible for him.

(unless he becomes the new NK. Dude is obsessed with everything north of the Wall)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
In Martin world, characters die because of their own weaknesses. What weaknesses does Jon even have that could lead to his downfall? I can't think of any. A poetic death is basically impossible for him.

(unless he becomes the new NK)
He's got a weakness for the ginger minge.

I've muted every permutation I can think of relating to GoT on Twitter, going to be really hard to avoid spoilers from here until Sunday. I'm going to fucking try though!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
This is what they got:

and

They were there for a week, so they probably covered broad story beats for each of the characters ending.

Note that GRRM is a discovery writer, he probably doesn't know specific beats aside from the ending himself yet. Aside from those already written for the sixth book, which isn't even remotely done now, let alone when this meeting happened in 2015.

woah woah so Book Stannis is going to
burn Shireen
or is it something GRRM considered but changed his mind?

oxidax

(unless he becomes the new NK. Dude is obsessed with everything north of the Wall)

Idk I feel like Jon Snow is becoming extremely likable and so is the hound. Last time I liked a character it died just like the character before that, and the one before that. I can't think of anything either but god damn its going to hurt when/if he dies lol

mantidor

We all know Cersei is a piece of shit, but would you say shes a villain? Obviously shes on the opposite side of the heroes but her motivations arent like Ramsay/Euron.

I ask this because I'm trying to figure out what happens with her.

She is a shell of a person now, after all her children died she is desperately clinging to anything, if it's torturing her imprisoned enemies so be it. She also has always felt the only way to survive is to rule, "in the game of thrones you win or you die", and in last episode when Jaime tells her they can't win, "I surrender and I die or I fight and I die".

It always felt jarring to me how someone so horrible could be a good mother and love her children so much, but this season fixed that, the way she talked how Tommen "betray" her and Myrcella was like her property or something ("my only daughter!"x100) shows even her only good quality wasn't that good, it's no surprise Jeoffrey was the way he was and kind of a miracle her other children were nice.

CloudWolf

woah woah so Book Stannis is going to
burn Shireen
or is it something GRRM considered but changed his mind?

He probably said 'Yep, Shireen's gonna die/get burned' and D&D adapted that into 'Stannis burns his daughter', then when viewers complained they quickly hid behind the 'GRRM told us this happens' excuse. It makes zero sense for Stannis to burn Shireen in the books, both because it doesn't fit his character and because he's nowhere near Shireen.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Nay

The wolf that mounts the dragon

Given the power dynamics you might have that reversed.

giphy.gif

ZOONAMI

What would set this show up best for sequels would be the night king winning westeros and then heroes from other places not the 7 kingdoms coming in to fight the NK. They haven't really had much screen time with the NK but it would be cool if maybe there were some more interesting looking white walkers and they actually talked and stuff. I wonder if they could pull off non CG white walkers.

gun_haver

Cersei ain't a villain. She's a real person and that's all there is to it. Any SOB who says otherwise lacks empathy. The woman lost three children and her father in the space of like 3 years. Yeah she wernt a little nuts but let's give her a chance, Jamie will bring her back to reality.

Cersei ain't a villain. She's a real person and that's all there is to it. Any SOB who says otherwise lacks empathy.

actually this series is fictional and none of these people are real

in all seriousness: yes, she is humanized and not 100% without redeeming qualities (although they are few) but she is unequivocally the main villain of the show at this point in time (aside from the Others of course)

gun_haver

actually this series is fictional and none of these people are real

in all seriousness: yes, she is humanized and not 100% without redeeming qualities (although they are few) but she is unequivocally the main villain of the show at this point in time (aside from the Others of course)

watch the early eps again, she's actually not that bad. she's got empathy for people and cries about how sad she is and everything, even with tyrion! you'll love how not that bad she is in retrospect!

i just don't get siding with a one dimensional painting over our girl who has been fleshed out in all 4 dimensions, cersei. she's evil but i love to watch her mind work and i don't want her to fuckin die, especially at the hands of dragon mode.

watch the early eps again, she's actually not that bad. she's got empathy for people and cries about how sad she is and everything, even with tyrion! you'll love how not that bad she is in retrospect!

i just don't get siding with a one dimensional painting over our girl who has been fleshed out in all 4 dimensions, cersei. she's evil but i love to watch her mind work and i don't want her to fuckin die, especially at the hands of dragon mode.
Evil people can be three dimensional, interesting, and even sometimes sympathetic. Cersei chapters are some of my favorite! But she's definitely a monster who needs to be put down at this point in both the books and the show.

Cersei ain't a villain. She's a real person and that's all there is to it. Any SOB who says otherwise lacks empathy. The woman lost three children and her father in the space of like 3 years. Yeah she wernt a little nuts but let's give her a chance, Jamie will bring her back to reality.

As a child she would physically abuse infant Tyrion.

She almost certainly pushed her friend Melara Hetherspoon down a well as a child killing her.

In the books at least, she had all of Roberts bastards murdered, including babies.

All before any of her children or her father died.

She is most certainly written to be a villain/bad person.

Doesn't mean she can't be sympathetic at times.. but yeah she's not just a good person gone bad via her children dying.

gun_haver

As a child she would physically abuse infant Tyrion.

She almost certainly pushed her friend Melara Hetherspoon down a well as a child killing her.

In the books at least, she had all of Roberts bastards murdered, including babies.

All before any of her children or her father died.

She is most certainly written to be a villain/bad person.

Doesn't mean she can't be sympathetic at times.. but yeah she's not just a good person gone bad via her children dying.

All right most of that didn't happen in the show, now, come on. Yeah she did mess with baby Tyrion's weiner, that's pretty wrong. Very bad behaviour but she was a girl. Tyrion doesn't even talk about it.

Gigglepoo

Idk I feel like Jon Snow is becoming extremely likable and so is the hound. Last time I liked a character it died just like the character before that, and the one before that. I can't think of anything either but god damn its going to hurt when/if he dies lol

The problem with Jon is that he's just too perfect now. I used to root for him when he was the underdog, but that all changed in Season 6. Martin says the only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself and Jon lacks that dynamic completely. It's boring watching a flawless person too humble to apprecaite the gifts he's been given who wants only to be the altruistic savior of the realm.

Artdayne

You lack perspective. Cersei was physically abusive to Tyrion, even as a newborn. I remember Tyrion explaining a story about a girl that Cersei had physically abused by one of her guardsmen because she did something she didn't like, I wish I could find the details. Cersei surrounds herself with many of the worst possible people. The Mountain is a vile psychopathic murderer, Qyburn performed experiments on live subjects.

She lost one of her children because she committed mass murder, including the killing of her son's wife. She conspired to kill King Robert. She is willing to use vile torture against her enemies.

Sure, Cersei has suffered some hardships, welcome to Game of Thrones. Who hasn't suffered hardships in this show? She clearly responds to them about as poorly as anyone on the show. She's not, or at least hasn't always been, pure evil incarnate or something there's a spectrum and she's definitely well into that evil spectrum.

i'm gonna assume this is sarcasm since she was nuts even before any of that and one of her children dying was entirely her fault

anyway shireen having hideous facial scarring from greyscale and jorah not seemingly having any scarring is against even the show universe

I swear this is not the first time that line had been said this season, while watching Eastwatch I felt it's starting to reach 'words are wind' level of saturation this season, but I don't really have proof to back it up.
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure if it can be applied to this line..maybe it can be but I feel like those are the only times this season we heard it.

What does come off as repetitive is Jon always bringing back up the winter war no matter who he's talking to - and I get that he's focused like Shepard on the reapers but at a certain point it feels like the writers don't wanna give him more exposition and just take an opportunity to make him one dimensional because it fits.

Nice bait.

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure if it can be applied to this line..maybe it can be but I feel like those are the only times this season we heard it.

What does come off as repetitive is Jon always bringing back up the winter war no matter who he's talking to - and I get that he's focused like Shepard on the reapers but at a certain point it feels like the writers don't wanna give him more exposition and just take an opportunity to make him one dimensional because it fits.
I think Jon will be very conflicted about being a Targaryen. He always wanted to be a Stark, and he never will be.

HAWDOKEN

The problem with Jon is that he's just too perfect now. I used to root for him when he was the underdog, but that all changed in Season 6. Martin says the only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself and Jon lacks that dynamic completely. It's boring watching a flawless person too humble to apprecaite the gifts he's been given who wants only to be the altruistic savior of the realm.
One of the things I find interesting about Jon is that he seems to be trying to live up to the God-like image he has of his father. I think the show has him explicitly state that Ned Stark would do what's right no matter what and before he left for Dragonstone, they showed him standing and staring at his statue in the crypts. I think he's there to pay homage, but mostly to help focus him on what should be done instead of what he wants.

So, I look forward to The Winds of Winter, because we'll at least get his inner monologue, but I think the show has made some subtle hints that support the idea that Jon wants Daenerys, he wants to bend the knee, and he doesn't really want to be king. However, he does what's right because that's what he thinks his father, Ned Stark, would have done. I think that, while there's not enough time to flesh it out, this sentiment on Jon's part could prove to be a liability.

Turin

Banned
Jon took an enormous amount of pride in being the son of Ned Stark, regardless of being a bastard.

Ned's still his father but the news of his biological parents should certainly be a blow to him.

Gigglepoo

One of the things I find interesting about Jon is that he seems to be trying to live up to the God-like image he has of his father. I think the show has him explicitly state that Ned Stark would do what's right no matter what and before he left for Dragonstone, they showed him standing and staring at his statue in the crypts. I think he's there to pay homage, but mostly to help focus him on what should be done instead of what he wants.

So, I look forward to The Winds of Winter, because we'll at least get his inner monologue, but I think the show has made some subtle hints that support the idea that Jon wants Daenerys, he wants to bend the knee, and he doesn't really want to be king. However, he does what's right because that's what he thinks his father, Ned Stark, would have done. I think that, while there's not enough time to flesh it out, this sentiment on Jon's part could prove to be a liability.

I see Jon very different than you. Since his resurrection, he seems like he wants nothing more than to die again. That's why he was so aggressive in The Battle of the Bastard and why he's willing to go North to capture a wight instead of sending subordinates to do the dirty work. He hasn't cracked a smile nor told a joke nor found any joy since he came back from the dead and without happiness he's willing to live dangerously "for the good of the realm."

I did think about his nobility as a potential downfall but I don't think they would go to that well again. Both Ned and Robb (well, Book Rob) died because they were too damn noble to realize they were idiots. His parentage should mean something. I hope that the genetic differences are enough to separate him from his dad and cousin because I can only take so many "too noble for his own good" deaths.

Top Bottom