• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U price in Brazil

Mithos

Ouch.

And I thought it was expensive in Sweden.

Code:
Wii U Basic  : (449$us), 2995SEK
Wii U Premium: (524$us), 3495SEK

ilMikhail

Much worse than Mexico, but not really a surprise. I wonder how much it costs to build a decent PC over there.

I paid 7300 pesos today for the Wii U Deluxe Edition , thats like 563.20 dollars , i know its a joke , but its a regular price in Mexico

Now I dont have enough money for ZombieU :(

Amir0x

Banned
so is steam's regional pricing/indie bundles/free to play like the fall of communism for nerds in brazil?

lol

but seriously great goddamn. i knew Brazil prices were more expensive but the magnitude of the added expense I had no idea.. that is absolutely nutso...

Subaru

It's worse when you figure that the minimum wage here is about U$$ 300,00/month and it's not usual to have U$$ 3000 or more as your monthly salary (except if you are engineer)

Bulzeeb

IIT latin americans can brag how much money they are willing to spend in videogames compared to the more developed countries :p

well I plan to import the Wii U next year, it might cost me around $450 to $500 USD but it'll be cheaper than the so called official stores

Fivefold

Banned
In north america a lexus is a status symbol

In south america a gameboy color is

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here... This happens exactly because there's enough dumb people with money around, the retailers don't really care cause there's always a sucker willing to buy it at a high price.

It's like cars, a Camaro here costs like 100k, not joking, and there are 2 on my condo's garage...

Roo

Know that feel bro, the system was just released today officially in Mexico , $6500 basic and $7200 deluxe ( about $500 and $550 USD), still expensive.

New Super Mario Bros U= $85 USD :/

Not that it is a great deal, but you can get it $200 (about $16USD) cheaper at Costco and Sam's Club. They're out of stock tho :/

allansm

I've never understood why South America gets fucked so hard on video game prices.

Importation taxes combined with huge profit margins in the case of Brazil. If the consoles were just assembled here the price would fall a lot. It still would be higher than in the US, but more people would be able to afford it. PC games, for example, have comparable prices to the US because the discs are manufactured here.

shinnn

I've never understood why South America gets fucked so hard on video game prices.

Every eletronic device is fucked up here. Not just video games.

I saw a "promo" of an Sennheiser headphone yesterday. Just R$110 (US$55)!

Search the same model on Amazon: $15. eww...

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I wonder how much it costs to build a decent PC over there.
It's not too expensive, actually. Not cheap, either, but PC component prices are comparable to continental Europe, if you know where to buy. I've recently moved from Portugal to Brazil (long story), and considering the newfound advantage of Steam game prices, I'll be joining PC master race for the foreseeable future.

I still want to get a Wii U and other videogame consoles, but I'll only be purchasing them when I'm travelling outside this country.

Nintendo needs to do like Microsoft did and get some local electronics factory to manufacture their consoles. Knowing about the "quality" of most locally manufactured products, I can imagine why they wouldn't want to, though.

Every console launched for about R$2,000 last gen, so I was sure this would happen again. Good thing I managed to buy a WiiU in the US :p.

Much worse than Mexico, but not really a surprise. I wonder how much it costs to build a decent PC over there.

Just about the dollar conversion price. PC parts aren't taxed here.

Mazzo

Does anyone know if the price of downloadable games are differentiated in Brazil? If so, are they cheaper or more expensive than the retail versions?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If you think you're paying too much, try buying it here.

Basic Set = R$ 2.199,00 or 10 monthly payments of R$ 219,90. That's about US$ 1.048,00 or 10x US$ 104,80.

Is that even officially distributed by Nintendo (like the XBox360 is by Microsoft), or just Imported by a third party company and officially distributed to retail stores, like the early PS3 games and all the non Microsoft, EA or Ubisoft 360 games?

I don't even know if Nintendo will officially distribute the console down here. I don't think the 3DS is oficially distributed here, but i'm not sure on that one.

Does anyone knows if the price of digital downloads are differentiated in Brazil? If so, are they cheaper or more expensive?

PC games are cheaper than US prices (Steam and local services).

Console Digital Version are the same price as retail, like R$ 149,00 (around US$ 70) for 3DS games. Xbox Live Games on Demmand sometimes are cheaper than US prices, but that is not so common.

But I would like to point out that is NOT the official price of WiiU in Brazil, which should only launch here officially next March. It is the price of importers, which in this time of year are like scalpers. Chepeast I have seen is R$ 1.800 (around US$ 820) for the white version. But no one know the price Nintendo will set.

BillyBats

Banned
It's not all bad, at least you have this:

brazil-beaches.jpg

and this:

images

mantidor

The odd part is that you can change location, and the prices will revert back to US prices. I don't know if Nintendo has blocked that but last I tried it worked. I haven't bought a game yet so I don't know if it will work, but also I didn't buy my 3ds here.

M3d10n

Does anyone know if the price of downloadable games are differentiated in Brazil? If so, are they cheaper or more expensive than the retail versions?

On the 3DS, eShop-exclusive games are around 10% cheaper (the cheaper games are almost 25% cheaper).

However, Nintendo's first party retail eShop games are priced the same as physical retail ($ 149), but since eShop regions are not IP-blocked, it's possible to switch the region to Canada (which accepts international CCs), buy the games there then switch back.

Not everything is lost, since 3rd parties have freedom to price their games differently. With the sole exception of Epic Mickey (which costs R$ 129), every 3rd party retail 3DS game on the eShop is either priced at parity with the US eShop or cheaper (Scribblenauts and LEGO LotR, for example, are 20% cheaper).

Top Bottom