• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle - Collection 1 |OT| Netflix Standup Special - It's a Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew, caught up with this thread. I watched the first special the day both went up and I was surprised to see the thread hadn't blown up considering it's the return of David CHAPPELLE and yes, the content.

Count me in of the camp that found the specials pretty funny but also not down with all of the LGTBQ jokes. Some where okay, and it's his right to make them but damn you could tell he was out of his element with the transsexual stuff.

I felt it was out of ignorance more than anything but he should really sharpen up if he's gonna continue to push that button because he puts the whole ally thing on a shaky ground when he's dropping shit like "tranny" casually or boiling the whole topic down to a self-image thing.

Anyway, 1st special was funnier than the second but neither come close to Killin' Them Softly. They where good and I look forward to number three later this year but I hope he can deliver something that's on the level of the Cosby joke for most of it. Something that toes the line between being fucked up and hilarious.

LionPride

Banned
I know Barstool Sports has a weird rep, but there's a podcast I listen to that's under their banner, Mickstape. They talked about the Chappelle stuff. I think it would be useful in this thread...

Friggz

I think Age of Spin is the second one. Texas is the 1st. Because chronologically, that's how they were recorded.

Age of Spin is much better.

really? my netflix app is showing age of spin as 1 and heart of texas as 2. If age of spin is the one everyone says was hilarious, maybe ill skip texas. lol

LionPride

Banned
I hesitate to even bother, but I'll try: no one is suggesting that he cannot/should not make jokes about LGBTQ stuff.

What people are saying is that those particular jokes didn't land for them, or felt lazy, or in some cases, felt mean. Those are all perfectly valid feelings to have, just as they would be if someone felt like jokes about another group didn't work for them.

You guys need to stop painting this as "don't make jokes involving the fragile minorities", because no one is saying that.
God damn you have sanity

studyguy

First one was pure Chappelle
Second one was him just sayin shit and it was funny

Yeah, I don't have anything against it. It felt more like some of the live comedy club shows I've been to where the guy just sits up there and shoots the shit. No indictment of it or anything though. Still excited to see more.

Just watched the first one, absolutely fantastic loved every second. Hope he does a lot more. Its streaming in 4k too on netflix which is great, although obviously completely pointless.

Only distracting thing I found was how much Dave kept stroking the front of his jacket, like a James Bond bad guy or something

I'm gonna finally watch The People vs OJ Simpson, based solely on Dave's recommendation.

TACPhilly

Banned
You seem to be spending more time than Chappelle trying to deconstruct his joke. How you presented your re-wording of his joke just aint funny, and to be honest he does not HAVE to understand you to pass a criticism or joke about you. When will you understand that when it comes to comedy no section of society is safe.

the man point is he isnt being ignorant on purpose just that he is saying he shouldnt be scoffed at for not knowing. and he is right. you see a penis you say he, and you shouldnt be made to feel like an asshole because he prefers to be called a she. he said okay and corrected himself when he continued to ask questions. im not seeing any issue here.

TACPhilly

Banned
The bit about Bill Cosby and the ice cream had me rolling. I can understand where he's coming from as fucked up as it is

i was bummed too man. i lovvve the cosby show. and his stand up is legendary too, he could talk about the most basic g rated material and put you in tears. ao it was extremely dissapointing to see that legacy, being amogst the greatest ever, be almost completely destroyed.

Steeven

I thought they were OK, some really funny jokes here and there, but not as good as his good 'ol days I think. Lost it at the ebola bit. He is still top-notch though.

You seem to be spending more time than Chappelle trying to deconstruct his joke. How you presented your re-wording of his joke just aint funny, and to be honest he does not HAVE to understand you to pass a criticism or joke about you. When will you understand that when it comes to comedy no section of society is safe.

Firstly, a lack of understanding about the subject of your comedy is not mandatory, but it does inherently put you at a disadvantage, because it not only creates questions about your understanding of the subject of your humor, but it also creates situations, like ones pointed out by others, where you outright make a joke promoting a very false idea (namely that it's safer to be trans than to be black, which disregards just how bad trans WOC have it).

Secondly, no one has suggested forcing Chappelle to not do the jokes, but that does not mean we cannot talk about the jokes and criticize them as well.

Finally, just like no one is safe from jokes, no one is safe from criticism and analysis.

Dave's a funny guy, but his comedy isn't derived from insulation.

Zetta

Just watched Deep in The Heart of Texas and out of the two this one was my favorite. It felt more like his old specials where he was just talking which was one of my favorite parts of the Chappelle Show.

Just watched Deep in The Heart of Texas and out of the two this one was my favorite. It felt more like his old specials where he was just talking which was one of my favorite parts of the Chappelle Show.

Yeah he's good at that. When I saw him back just before Chapelle's Show took off he did about thirty minutes of solid material and then for the rest of the show sat on a bean bag chair just riffin like he was chillin at somebody's place lol, it was great.

Gorillaz

Yea that one definitely felt more like he was just spitting them off the top of his head and relaxed while the LA one was more structured. I did get more of a older feel from Texas.

daves voice sounds rough for being only 43

Is it all that smoke?

I enjoyed the first ep particularly towards the end.. started a little slow

Watched the show with the girlfriend, who used to work helping rape victims. Maybe in a previous time I would have laughed more at his whole Bill Cosby bit, but I just found that part borderline offensive. My girlfriend went from laughing to being upset.

Now I know where Dave was coming from. I admire what he is trying to say, or at least what I think he was trying to say. The dichotomy of being a person that has done great things, and also awful shit, and how you wrestle and reconcile that. However, that thing about "he saves 'more' than he rapes" just crossed that border where it was pretty close to defending Cosby.

Overall I think it is worth a watch. Hopefully now that he is back in the game, he will refine his comedy more. In my opinion what I watched still can't compare to when he was at the top of his game in the Chappelle Show.

Watched the show with the girlfriend, who used to work helping rape victims. Maybe in a previous time I would have laughed more at his whole Bill Cosby bit, but I just found that part borderline offensive. My girlfriend went from laughing to being upset.

Now I know where Dave was coming from. I admire what he is trying to say, or at least what I think he was trying to say. The dichotomy of being a person that has done great things, and also awful shit, and how you wrestle and reconcile that. However, that thing about "he saves 'more' than he rapes" just crossed that border where it was pretty close to defending Cosby.

Overall I think it is worth a watch. Hopefully now that he is back in the game, he will refine his comedy more. In my opinion what I watched still can't compare to when he was at the top of his game in the Chappelle Show.

Honestly, I don't he was really thinking about the defending Cosby as much he wanted to make the call back more clever to the previous joke.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I finally got to finish the two specials over the course of two days, and I loved them both. I may have enjoyed the second one more, but both are so different from one another that it's hard for me to compare them. The themes, flow, and tone of both shows are like polar opposites to me.

Highlights for me were the Lil' Wayne and Pussy Juice bits (so fucking absurd it had me rolling), and the "You just didn't like your cut" line that sucked the air out of the room. The Kevin Hart bit was also excellent, especially because it just felt so genuine; obviously a mix of embellished comedy, but real emotions and observations. I could feel the salt from Dave listening to that bit. lol.

They were both really strong specials, especially for someone who has been out of the game for as long as he has, and has mainly done "private" shows/sets after leaving his show. I'm really excited for the third one, and I wish we'd get more Chappelle. I feel the past year, and coming four years would have given him so much to play with on his show.

Saw this on Andre's twitter feed. Him, Jeff Ross, Chappelle, and Rock all on the same bill tonight in New Orleans. Must've been an insane show. Hurry up and release those Rock specials Netflix!

C70LX98VsAAEsLc.jpg

Here's the thing though. There's no way you could reasonably conclude from watching that bit that Dave Chappelle doesn't think that Bill Cosby is a monster. He raped a lot of people for Christ sake. At the same time he existed as a different figure to most people before it was widely known that he had done such things. He did valuable things that don't retroactively disappear from people's memories. You can acknowledge that and not be a rape apologist.

Grug

Here's the thing though. There's no way you could reasonably conclude from watching that bit that Dave Chappelle doesn't think that Bill Cosby is a monster. He raped a lot of people for Christ sake. At the same time he existed as a different figure to most people before it was widely known that he had done such things. He did valuable things that don't retroactively disappear from people's memories. You can acknowledge that and not be a rape apologist.

Yeah there seems to be a "blacklist" mentality in both the far left and far right when a previously accomplished person commits a heinous act. It is as though everything they did prior has to be wiped from the historical record and that if you even acknowledge the greatness of those things in isolation you are painted as insensitive or even worse, as condoning or 'normalising' the aforementioned heinous act.

I liked Dave wading into those waters a little bit. It must be a bitter pill for a lot of comedians, especially black comedians, who not only idolised Cosby, but were so heavily shaped by him. It's possible for them to simultaneously deplore without qualification the terrible things he did, while mourning the great legacy that has also been lost.

There were strong echoes of the "Jury Selection" skit from Chappelle's Show. "He made thriller man... thriller".

a.wd

That was really good, the 2nd was a masterclass in Chappelle stories, weaving it back and forth and then dropping the kicker.

The best thing was how he foreshadowed everything, making sure that everyone was following along if not in on the joke, and doing proper callbacks.

Very clever, very funny.

Miletius

Yeah there seems to be a "blacklist" mentality in both the far left and far right when a previously accomplished person commits a heinous act. It is as though everything they did prior has to be wiped from the historical record and that if you even acknowledge the greatness of those things in isolation you are painted as insensitive or even worse, as condoning or 'normalising' the aforementioned heinous act.

I liked Dave wading into those waters a little bit. It must be a bitter pill for a lot of comedians, especially black comedians, who not only idolised Cosby, but were so heavily shaped by him. It's possible for them to simultaneously deplore without qualification the terrible things he did, while mourning the great legacy that has also been lost.

There were strong echoes of the "Jury Selection" skit from Chappelle's Show. "He made thriller man... thriller".

Agree with the bold. The Cosby jokes were the highlight of the set for me, because it highlights the absurdity of life -- that a terrible human being like Cosby could also have done a lot of good in the world.

It reminds me of when I saw him at the Oddball Comedy fest a couple of years ago and he did an Oscar Pistorius joke that had everybody in tears. That was the best set I've ever seen -- the audience was dying the entire time.

Overall I liked both specials, 1 probably more than 2, but part of that is because there were few recycled jokes from when I've seen him before. "Sandwich" and "Long Jerk" were jokes I've heard before, although weaved in a different parts of his routine (he didn't have the tape bit if I remember correctly). But I don't think it was him at his best, and I'm looking forward to the 3rd special.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Watched both and they were great. I kept hearing he second one wasn't as good but it was just fine.

The transsexual jokes weren't as offensive as I imagined they would be, but it was the least funniest part of the whole show.

Truant

Yeah, the LGBT stuff felt a little out of touch. I think everyone is fair game when it comes to comedy, but these jokes lacked weight.

ironmang

Watched both and they were great. I kept hearing he second one wasn't as good but it was just fine.

The transsexual jokes weren't as offensive as I imagined they would be, but it was the least funniest part of the whole show.

Ya that's where I'm at. If people didn't keep bringing them up in this thread I probably wouldn't have even remembered them by the end of the show.

TheFlow

Banned
Yea I am a big Christian, but gotta admit Dave needed to relax some on the Gay/Trans jokes. a few were funny but most had me like "just move on already". Bill cosby and O.J jokes were on point.

First episode was awesome. Dave had my dying! love him.

Ecto311

Goddamn the diahrea bit caught me off guard and my wife thought I was hurt. I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk. Shit I forget how good a comedy special can be with all the lame dogshit out there now.

This, Jim norton, Theo Von all have fantastic specials. Theo has a weird setup where his Netflix and recorded specials are different. His fuckfetti bit was great.

SKINNER!

Banned
Just watched the first spacial. Thought it was ok but nowhere near as great as his old specials. His delivery seems kinda off. Kinda different. Only parts I laughed at were the care bear and bill Cosby jokes. Still, great to see him back in action. Will watch the second special on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom