• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Reaver may have been the most overly ambitious game ever. (research thread)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Has the game aged well? I played it ages ago and thought it was very cool, but never made it too far. I'd like to play it on Vita now.

I bought the game off GOG after skimming the OP (didn't want to spoil too much), then I got to the 5th block puzzle in a row in the Cathedral and quit. I'll give it another shot tonight.

If it helps, of the dozen block puzzles in the game, the highest concentration of them are in the Silenced Cathedral. Get them out of the way, and they become much more infrequent.

Has the game aged well? I played it ages ago and thought it was very cool, but never made it too far. I'd like to play it on Vita now.

There are some screenshots here that will give you an idea of how it looks visually - though they are from the PC version.

Orcastar

I remember that my dad bought a UK gaming magazine (can't remember the name) around the time the game came out that had a review of it and a kind of tips and tricks section that detailed all the elemental reavers and where to find them. I spent so many hours hopelessly trying to find them, even after I had already beaten the game. I only found out years later about all the cut content.

I remember that my dad bought a UK gaming magazine (can't remember the name) around the time the game came out that had a review of it and a kind of tips and tricks section that detailed all the elemental reavers and where to find them. I spent so many hours hopelessly trying to find them, even after I had already beaten the game. I only found out years later about all the cut content.

Such a shame you don't remember the magazine - that information never made it to the internet. We still don't know where the elemental Reaver forges were intended to be located.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If it helps, of the dozen block puzzles in the game, the highest concentration of them are in the Silenced Cathedral. Get them out of the way, and they become much more infrequent.

There are some screenshots here that will give you an idea of how it looks visually - though they are from the PC version.

I was thinking more about mechanics wise. Does it hold up in terms of gameplay, level design, camera work, etc?

Helscream

Banned
Great freaking thread man. I was always a big fan of the Legacy of Kain series. I would have as heart attack if there would be a reboot to the series. The amount of talent that those games possessed was immense. You had Simon Templeman, Michael Bell, and the late great Tony Jay doing the voice overs. Its truly amazing how a series that has been laid to for rest for so long still puts many games (especially this current generation) to shame.

I was thinking more about mechanics wise. Does it hold up in terms of gameplay, level design, camera work, etc?

You are probably best asking some elses opinion on this as I'm biased due to my investment in the series. My opinion though: I think the level design holds up as there is a lot to explore - you are encouraged to experiment with the environment in two parallel worlds. The upgrades and abilities are interesting and encourage more further exploration, Metroid style. The environments are diverse as seen in the screenshots and unique - with flooded abbeys, insect hive churches and a city in which the last surviving humans silently worship you as a god. The bosses are good, with one in particular (Dumah) being one of my favourite bosses in gaming - the method of dispatch is both unique and hilarious.

The combat is distinct with focus on environmental finishers (water, sunlight, impalement, etc), the camera is functional, and the controls are precise.

The biggest downside is the dozen block puzzles in the game, each taking a couple of minutes at different points.

That's my take.

Orcastar

Such a shame you don't remember the magazine - that information never made it to the internet. We still don't know where the elemental Reaver forges were intended to be located.

Unoftunately my dad threw most of his old gaming magazines out a few years back, so I don't think he has the issue anymore. I'm pretty sure it was a multiplatform magazine though...

However, I do remember the instructions for finding the reavers being quite detailed, which made it all the more frustrating when you went to the places specified and there was nothing there.

That's good, are there a lot more shift puzzles cause I was enjoying the ones in the first area.

MDSLKTR

Was it? All I remember is this:

SierraPushingConcreteBlock.jpg

Unoftunately my dad threw most of his old gaming magazines out a few years back, so I don't think he has the issue anymore. I'm pretty sure it was a multiplatform magazine though...

However, I do remember the instructions for finding the reavers being quite detailed, which made it all the more frustrating when you went to the places specified and there was nothing there.

Ha, really wish I could track that down. The LOK fanbase loves the deleted material, but we have never been able to find out where those areas are - we asked Daniel Cabuco but it was over a decade for the team and it appears that they don't recall.

That's good, are there a lot more shift puzzles cause I was enjoying the ones in the first area.

Yeah, two major, mandatory areas coming up have cool shifting puzzles, with pillars, giant statues and beams deforming massively in the spectral/material shift as aids to progress. There is also a very very high optional area that is ascended through shifting suspended wooden beams. If you want the spoilers, the areas are
the drowned abbey, the dumahim village, and Nupraptor's Retreat

Also in the next level, look out for the shifts changing images on stained glass - its really well done. In both Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2, there are truths that only the Spectral Realm knows.

kogasu

Very interesting to read. Great post. This is a game I've been wanting to play for a while now. Sucks to hear how much they had to change and cut out of the first game.

Yeah, two major, mandatory areas coming up have cool shifting puzzles, with pillars, giant statues and beams deforming massively in the spectral/material shift as aids to progress. There is also a very very high optional area that is ascended through shifting suspended wooden beams. If you want the spoilers, the areas are
the drowned abbey, the dumahim village, and Nupraptor's Retreat

Also in the next level, look out for the shifts changing images on stained glass - its really well done. In both Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2, there are truths that only the Spectral Realm knows.

Awesome, looking forward to it and that stained glass changing is cool, that stuff rarely happens in any game.

def sim

The first mostly consisted of block puzzles and a poor man's copy of the Zelda combat system and the second improved on both those fronts, but still isn't anything special. Graphically, it depends on which version you play. The Dreamcast version of SR1 is fine enough and the PS2 version of SR2 still looks good. Defiance is an action game similar to DMC that isn't bad at all, actually. It holds up graphically, what with being the latest LoK released. Blood Omen 1 plays like a PC rpg from the mid to late 90's; you decide if that's your thing. BO2 is a buggy mess of a third person action game.

You mostly play these games for the lore and amazing voice acting, to be honest.

TakeShad

Banned
So in SR1 Raziel was supposed to kill Kain and wipe out all of vampires, thus healing the world, which was Kain's plan all along?

Yeah, the whole 'aliens' concept introduced in the next games and Raziel's sacrifice for Kain are rather lame, but I really prefer for Kain to be alive. I just like him too much. SR2 and Defiance aren't as genius gameplay-wise as SR1, though.

Xero

So in SR1 Raziel was supposed to kill Kain and wipe out all of vampires, thus healing the world, which was Kain's plan all along?

Yeah, the whole 'aliens' concept introduced in the next games and Raziel's sacrifice for Kain are rather lame, but I really prefer for Kain to be alive. I just like him too much. SR2 and Defiance aren't as genius gameplay-wise as SR1, though.

The Hylden were present in blood omen as well. So its been a concept that has existed since the beginning of the games. I never found it lame.

Lime

Also is there a widescreen mod for 2 or is it able to handle it natively?

The FOV is still 4:3. I tried searching for a SR2 widescreen mod, but couldn't find one. The thread regarding a possible widescreen mod on the Soul Reaver forum seems to be a work in progress, and I don't know if he/she will ever release it.

Btw, made some custom steam icons:

Made some Soul Reaver 1 & 2 in celebration of the recent GOG sale:

Soul Reaver 1
soulreaver13wjxa.png

Soul Reaver 2
soulreaver2l1jpy.png

soulreaver2bhbkxa.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice thread! (yeah, I realise it's kinda old, but it wasn't me who revived it :p)

I should play this saga someday. I remember playing the demo of Soul Reaver 2 and loving it, but when I got the full version I found it to be a difficult game, and got lost and finally stuck not far from the beginning. It didn't help that the game had no subtitles, and at the time my English wasn't good enough to understand what the characters said. The only thing I recall was the phrase "Lies, Raziel" from the first cutscene, said in a terror-inducing voice, which seems to have stuck with me for no apparent reason.

vocab

Does anyone know if theres reported problems of blood omen playing on PSP? I started Blood omen, and when I got the first bolt spell the games audio was running super fast, and sounded so bad.

Grief.exe

Saw this today and remembered what a great thread this was. thought they would complement each other.

PS Blog

Nice thread! (yeah, I realise it's kinda old, but it wasn't me who revived it :p)

I should play this saga someday. I remember playing the demo of Soul Reaver 2 and loving it, but when I got the full version I found it to be a difficult game, and got lost and finally stuck not far from the beginning. It didn't help that the game had no subtitles, and at the time my English wasn't good enough to understand what the characters said. The only thing I recall was the phrase "Lies, Raziel" from the first cutscene, said in a terror-inducing voice, which seems to have stuck with me for no apparent reason.

This thread needs to be revived so more people can see it. Amazing thread.

If any game needs an HD remaster its this game. I'm really interested in playing it on PC, but the graphics from that time period have aged horribly.

Would be awesome if they restored at least a little bit of that cut content.

Whats the status of the IP by the way? Is it owned by a different studio now? Can anything like this even happen?

Last game came out almost a decade ago.

Looks like they might be doing a reboot eventually: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/rumour-crystal-dynamics-working-on-soul-reaver-reboot/

Widescreen for PC version: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=114106

Stellar Research!! Many of the artworks you've uncovered I haven't seen before. Being a huge Kain fan, this has me incredibly nostalgic to go back and replay the series.
Again, Great work!
Keep these coming!!

bumpkin

I went on a mission a few years back trying to track down a copy of Soul Reaver 2. I must have checked at least half a dozen GameStops before I finally found a used copy in decent condition. The only crappy thing was it was disc-only. I had a spare case lying around, but couldn't find anything but crappy art to print off and slip into the case.

Truth be told, I never actually played all the way through the original Soul Reaver. Around the time it came out, I was running a gaming site and actually got a beta version of the PSOne version of the game to try out (for a preview). I've always heard that the Dreamcast port was the way to go if someone was to play the first game. I still have a Dreamcast... Maybe I should check ebay for a copy.

For those who played both games, is there a heavy connection between 1 and 2's story? Would playing 1 first make 2 more fulfilling?

bidguy

Banned
would a reboot of the series be a sony exclusive ?
did the original games ever leave the playstation ?

edit : nevermind, the other games were multiplat.

Melchiah

For those who played both games, is there a heavy connection between 1 and 2's story? Would playing 1 first make 2 more fulfilling?

They are heavily connected, the 2nd starts straight from where the 1st ended, and the sequel is certainly more fulfilling after playing the first. You should also try to find Legacy of Kain: Defiance. It's the weakest of them, but it concludes the story.

EDIT:
Truth be told, I never actually played all the way through the original Soul Reaver. Around the time it came out, I was running a gaming site and actually got a beta version of the PSOne version of the game to try out (for a preview). I've always heard that the Dreamcast port was the way to go if someone was to play the first game. I still have a Dreamcast... Maybe I should check ebay for a copy.

Yeah, the DC version should be the best one.

tsab

I went on a mission a few years back trying to track down a copy of Soul Reaver 2. I must have checked at least half a dozen GameStops before I finally found a used copy in decent condition. The only crappy thing was it was disc-only. I had a spare case lying around, but couldn't find anything but crappy art to print off and slip into the case.

SR2 starts exactly from 1's
cliffhanger
. Be sure to start from 1

I also wanted to thank Mama Robotnik for this excellent thread.

And I wanted to ask: for Soul Reaver 2, PC or PS2/3? Is there a really big difference technically (framerate, mostly)? How is the compatibility with Win7 and gamepads? I'd rather play on PS3, to be honest.

Billen

Banned
Holy workload, OP. Most ambitious thread ever? ;)

Interesting information, really. Thank you for sharing what you have found.

Melchiah

I also wanted to thank Mama Robotnik for this excellent thread.

And I wanted to ask: for Soul Reaver 2, PC or PS2/3? Is there a really big difference technically (framerate, mostly)? How is the compatibility with Win7 and gamepads? I'd rather play on PS3, to be honest.

If you have a fully backwards compatible PS3, I'd go with that. At least Silent Hill 3 looked great upscaled.

Ushae

Banned
Would love an HD re-release of these games.

That would be immense, but a reboot of the franchise would be even better. Day 1 purchase for me. Next Gen of course :)

Was it? All I remember is this:

SierraPushingConcreteBlock.jpg

Haha! I rmemeber there was a lot of block pushing in it, but the other puzzles were simply brilliant. Even most games today haven't topped it.

would a reboot of the series be a sony exclusive ?
did the original games ever leave the playstation ?

edit : nevermind, the other games were multiplat.

I hope not, it should be multiplat for maximum sales and potential for better sequals. Does anyone know who has the rights to the IP at the moment?

Necrovex

This thread needs to be revived so more people can see it. Amazing thread.

If any game needs an HD remaster its this game. I'm really interested in playing it on PC, but the graphics from that time period have aged horribly.

I would buy this game in a heartbeat if it got a HD remaster treatment.

kasane

Nostalgia chills from PS1 days. Now I wish they can reboot it with all of those missing assets and then some. Day 1 purchase.

One of the best game series ever made, its just a shame square don't think its worth reviving properly

Mama you should make a book of this stuff, i'd certainly instabuy it, a lost history of video games

Arioco

You are probably best asking some elses opinion on this as I'm biased due to my investment in the series. My opinion though: I think the level design holds up as there is a lot to explore - you are encouraged to experiment with the environment in two parallel worlds. The upgrades and abilities are interesting and encourage more further exploration, Metroid style. The environments are diverse as seen in the screenshots and unique - with flooded abbeys, insect hive churches and a city in which the last surviving humans silently worship you as a god. The bosses are good, with one in particular (Dumah) being one of my favourite bosses in gaming - the method of dispatch is both unique and hilarious.

The combat is distinct with focus on environmental finishers (water, sunlight, impalement, etc), the camera is functional, and the controls are precise.

The biggest downside is the dozen block puzzles in the game, each taking a couple of minutes at different points.

That's my take.

Wow! Amazing thread!

Mama Robotnik, you seem to know everything about Legacy Of Kain. I love those games, it's story is one of the best I'ever seen in a videogame.

Nevertheless, I never quite understood why Kain cast Raziel into the abyss. The first cutscene (amazing at that time, by the way) suggests that he did it out of jealouse, but I think it's clear that wasn't the real reason. He must have seen something while time traveling, but I've never found an explanation.

Mama, since you seem to know so much about these games, do you know the answer to that? Has Amy Hennig ever explained why Kain acted like that?

Thanks and congrats for this incredible thread.

AntMurda

Nevertheless, I never quite understood why Kain cast Raziel into the abyss. The first cutscene (amazing at that time, by the way) suggests that he did it out of jealouse, but I think it's clear that wasn't the real reason. He must have seen something while time traveling, but I've never found an explanation.

I think either there was a disconnect from the FMV CG team and the writing / planning team or the story was rethought. The facial expressions and characterization of that intro really don't leave much to the imagination.

Thanati

Firstly, can I say that this is possibly the best thread OP I've ever seen!

Secondly. Soul reaver is an incredible game! Can you imagine a new version now? It would be amazing. But for all those who have never played it, do so. Go forth and play it. You will NOT be disappointed.

One of my top 5 games of all time.

killatopak

Most pics in the 1st post of a thread that I've seen.

I've never really gotten to finish this game because for some reason my father finished this game instead of me. Happened a lot of times too.

Is this game available on the PSN? I'd like to play it on the go.

Top Bottom