• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

iLLmAtlc

Yo that eclipse was pretty overrated in Vancouver. Looks like a crescent moon or some shit and it was still so bright.

The effect on the sunlight was mildly cool tho, it was like wearing a pair of really weak sunglasses.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
8.5h later, we're 1/3 of the way between Albany OR and Vancouver BC. I wish I was joking.

We're just before Olympia.

Socreges

Banned
8.5h later, we're 1/3 of the way between Albany OR and Vancouver BC. I wish I was joking.

We're just before Olympia.
Wasn't this forecasted? I know several people down in Oregon and the soonest any of them are returning is tomorrow night for that reason exactly.

Smiley90

Wasn't this forecasted? I know several people down in Oregon and the soonest any of them are returning is tomorrow night for that reason exactly.

Yes. We all have work, could only get one day off. Yes it sucks. There were accidents too, apparently.

We're currently weighing a hotel room around Seattle and then getting up early to drive home instead of driving late into the night.

156 miles in 10h, fuck me sideways

iLLmAtlc

Yes. We all have work, could only get one day off. Yes it sucks. There were accidents too, apparently.

We're currently weighing a hotel room around Seattle and then getting up early to drive home instead of driving late into the night.

156 miles in 10h, fuck me sideways

Godspeed friend

I think it was well worth it to see the real thing tho.

PillarEN

Was there for work on Thursday. Drove from LAX to downtown. Google Maps told us to go through residential areas. Instead of highways. Fucking brilliant city design, Los Angeles!

For the sake of the city I hope their public transport is absolutely state of the art for the Olympics.

Montresor

Smiley, you've inspired me to make sure I make the trip down to the USA in 2024. I think the only thing that would stop me from going down there is if I had a child that was between newborn and 12 months old. Should be easy enough to plan ahead.

Next total solar eclipse will be April 8th, 2024 and visible in the a diagonal path from Maine to Texas apparently. Lot of different choices.

calder

I MADE IT.

10H for the first 155miles

Then 4h for the remaining 235.

Worth. Sight of a lifetime.

Nice! I was lucky enough to have a total eclipse pass overhead when I was little, it was pretty incredible but I was a bit too young (like 7 or 8?) to really appreciate it. I mainly remember how strict the teachers were and the constant warnings and lectures in school in the weeks leading up to it. And some of our teachers back then were still grey nuns so "strict" was their default setting.

Calamari41

41 > 38
For the sake of the city I hope their public transport is absolutely state of the art for the Olympics.

It won't need to be, the city will be empty. This happened during the last Olympics; it was glorious because all roads were wide open. Also, every time they schedule a "Carmageddon" freeway closure, everyone leaves town on vacation or just stays home, so its easy as hell to get anywhere.

This also happened in London during the Olympics, the city was empty. Amazing.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nice! I was lucky enough to have a total eclipse pass overhead when I was little, it was pretty incredible but I was a bit too young (like 7 or 8?) to really appreciate it. I mainly remember how strict the teachers were and the constant warnings and lectures in school in the weeks leading up to it. And some of our teachers back then were still grey nuns so "strict" was their default setting.

Luckily a painting was made to commemorate this moment in young calder's life. He's pictured at the very front on the steps.

antoine_caron_astronomers_studying_an_eclipse.jpg

calder is old

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure I remember the same eclipse :(

I think I remember it too. No one was allowed to go home for lunch. The windows were all covered. And the entire school watched a movie in gym. I'm pretty sure it was The Muppet Movie. There may have been a projector involved.

RC

Banned
Kinda wish that I actually drove to Oregon to fully experience the eclipse.

Rather than being in our office parking lot and viewing it through a piece of cardboard.

Smiley90

Taking i-5 was a mistake. Totally worth though, shit was awesome and intense.

In retrospect, yeah. Should've booked a hotel earlier to be in Salem and not Albany too to avoid some of the traffic. Or take Tuesday off!

But either way, I still just have the image in my head today. And probably will for a long time. Just amazing

Solo

So its like 6 weeks from opening night and Habs still don't have a centre. Creeper, Red, you guys still feeling confident in Bergevin?

Pikma

Banned
I got an extra pre order for a SNES Classic on Amazon, if anyone here is interested and if they don't cancel the order I'm willing to give it to you, $200
jk, no extra cost

Sadly it's US only though

calder

Listening to some hockey pods and the THN guys are making me puke with some of their predictions. Oilers and Leafs in conference finals? Oilers make the Cup finals? Come the fuck on.

Top Bottom