• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
OFF SEASON NEWS AND NOTES :

The New Jersey Devils on Tuesday hired Claude Julien as their head coach.
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Ticker) - The Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday acquired right wing Tommi Santala and a fifth-round pick in the 2007 draft from the Atlanta Thrashers for a conditional fourth-round pick in 2007.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota (Ticker)- The Minnesota Wild added depth to their blue line Wednesday, acquiring defenseman Petteri Nummelin from the Atlanta Thrashers for a conditional third-round pick in either 2006 or 2007.
The Bruins on Thursday acquired the rights to Tenkrat from the Toronto Maple Leafs for a seventh-round pick in the June 24 draft and signed him to a one-year contract.
The Dallas Stars announced Friday that they've given former NHLers Andy Moog and Ulf Dahlen positions on their coaching staff.

Moog will serve as the team's player development and goaltending coach while Dahlen will be an assistant coach. The Stars also hired Frank Provenzano of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., as their new assistant general manager.
The Minnesota Wild on Monday exercised the contract option on center Brian Rolston for the 2007-2008 season.
Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced on Tuesday that Kirk Muller was hired as an assistant coach.
The Colorado Avalanche have re-signed captain Joe Sakic to a one-year deal worth $5.75-million US.
Alain Vigneault is the new coach of the Vancouver Canucks.
The NHL Players Association is telling its membership that the NHL salary cap will rise to a maximum of approximately $44 million per team next season.
Boston, MA (Sports Network) - The Boston Bruins have named Don Sweeney their director of player development.
The Minnesota Wild have signed forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard to a one-year contract worth $1.85 million US.
The Vancouver Canucks and Florida Panthers have completed a multi-player trade involving some big names on the eve of the NHL Draft. The Canucks have shipped Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alexander Auld to the Panthers in exchange for Roberto Luongo and Lukas Krajicek. Luongo is a restricted free agent, and the problem of signing him to a long-term deal now rests with Vancouver GM Dave Nonis.
Atlanta sent former number one overall pick Patrik Stefan and defenceman Jaroslav Modry to the Stars for Niko Kapanen and a 7th round pick.
The Kings traded forward Pavol Demitra to the Minnesota Wild for Patrick O'Sullivan and the 17th pick in the draft.
The Calgary Flames acquired forward Alex Tanguay from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for defenceman Jordan Leopold, a 2006 second round pick, and a conditional second rounder in 2007 or 2008.
Toronto Maple Leafs acquired former Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft from the Boston Bruins on Saturday.
The Montreal Canadiens re-sign goaltender Cristobal Huet to a 2-year,$5.75-million US deal
The Boston Bruins have traded defenceman Nick Boynton and a 4th round draft choice in 2007 to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for defenceman Paul Mara and a 3rd round draft choice in either 2007 or 2008.
Goaltender Roberto Luongo finally has the long-term deal he's always wanted, signing a four-year, $27 million US contract with the Vancouver Canucks.
Redden signs 2-year deal with Senators
Hurricanes sign forwards Adams, Williams to long term deals.
Wings lock up Lidstrom with 2-year, $15.2-million US contract.
Tie Domi, one of the NHL club's most popular players for a decade, has been bought out, and the Leafs have also opted not to exercise the option year on the contract of Ed Belfour, the No. 1 goaltender for the last four years.
I'll keep this updated all summer long.

Top 5 Draft Picks - 2006 NHL DRAFT

1. Johnson, Erik - St. Louis Blues
2. Staal, Jordan - Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Toews, Jonathan - Chicago Blackhawks
4. Backstrom, Nicklas - Washington Capitals
5. Kessel, Phil - Boston Bruins

TSN RFA-UFA List

fallout

Just so people don't have to go looking, here's the order of selection for the first round. Rest of it is here.

1. St. Louis
2. Pittsburgh
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. Boston
6. Columbus
7. NY Islanders
8. Phoenix
9. Minnesota
10. Florida
11. Los Angeles
12. Atlanta
13. Toronto
14. Vancouver
15. Tampa Bay
16. Montreal
17. Minnesota (from EDM)
18. Colorado
19. Anaheim
20. San Jose
21. NY Rangers
22. Philadelphia
23. Washington (from NSH)
24. Buffalo
25. New Jersey
26. Calgary
27. Dallas
28. Ottawa
29. Detroit
30. St. Louis (from CAR)

ShutEye

Now the real fun begins. What's the English language sports radio in Montreal? Is there one? I will be there during the draft.

And I'm going to miss all the stupid Leafs rumours, over-priced signings and pathetic lies about how the club really is ready to compete for the Cup.

Horray for the off-season!

epik

Code:
LUONGO TO BE SHOPPED?

SPORTSNET.CA: reported yesterday a source claimed Florida Panthers 
GM Mike Keenan has begun investigating goalie Roberto Luongo's market value. 
The Vancouver Canucks might be interested and there's speculation goalie Dan Cloutier
and forward Todd Bertuzzi could be offered up. [B]The Toronto Maple Leafs[/B] might also make a pitch.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
:lol the Leafs?

"Florida has traded star netminder Roberto Luongo to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exhange for Die Domi, Ed Belfour, and Florida's choice of 3 other useless Maple Leafs. Florida is still considering their options"

Alucard

Banned
pops619 said:
The only move that matters: The Penguins have signed Evgeni Malkin to a three-year contract.

Seriously? Didn't see it on the official Pens site. That's awesome if true though! Now bring in Toews or Staal and we've got a pretty decent first 2 lines.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Alucard said:
Seriously? Didn't see it on the official Pens site. That's awesome if true though! Now bring in Toews or Staal and we've got a pretty decent first 2 lines.

Its only on the Metallurg site right now, but really with the transfer agreement basically in place the contract is basically in place. On the site it says he will report to Pittsburgh at the end of August.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Wolf said:

"Florida has traded star netminder Roberto Luongo to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exhange for Die Domi, Ed Belfour, and Florida's choice of 3 other useless Maple Leafs. Florida is still considering their options"

Oh yeah?

Well take this:

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey reports Kirk Muller was recently seen dining with Canadiens GM Bob Gainey and head coach Guy Carbonneau, fuelling speculation he could become part of the coaching staff, which could be formally announced by the draft weekend. Hickey also noted Toronto Maple Leafs tough guy Tie Domi was recently seen dining with Habs blueliner Sheldon Souray. Domi is rumoured to be on the verge of having his contract bought out by the Leafs and Hickey claims Domi is a character player Gainey and Carbonneau covet.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Alucard said:
Armstrong - Crosby - Hilbert
Staal/Toews - Malkin - does it even matter?

:p

Stall and Toevs both project to be centres, you guys should either pick Kessel or see if there is anyway in hell you guys can get Johnson.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
darscot said:
Clouts and Bertuzzi is just a tad on the steep side. Maybe Clouts and Jovo.

You would have to re-sign Jovo to do that, and right now it looks like he wants to go to free agency to see what he can get.

pops619

No matter who the Pens draft, they don't expect them to be in the NHL this year. That comes straight from the GM and scouting director. To me, it doesn't seem like they're leaning towards Kessel. I'm expecting Staal. While he is a center, he said he'd move to wing. He's going to have to if they draft him because the top two center spots are filled for the nexy six years at least.

I think Ryan Malone will move to the wing. Shero said he doesn't see a third line center on the roster. That's the spot Malone figured to have, so I'm guessing they'd rather see him playing the wing. I agree with them there. He seems like a good fit next to Malkin. Now it's up to them to get another wing for Malkin. I want Petr Sykora. I believe he played with Malkin during the lockout, he's in the age range that the Pens want, and he's not top tier enough that he wouldn't consider them. Seems like a really good fit.

Jovocop for Luongo.

As much as I love Jovocop, this move would solve our goaltending situation in a hurry and I think Jovocop wants to move to Florida anyways.

darscot

R_GILL said:
You would have to re-sign Jovo to do that, and right now it looks like he wants to go to free agency to see what he can get.

I was being a little sarcastic as basically Jovo is worth nothing to Vancouver and it appears Loungo is in the same boat with Florida.

Wolf said:

If that isn't a freudian slip, then I don't know what is.

edit: Jovanovski isn't worth anything to the Canucks? Luongo isn't worth anything to the Panthers?! We should trade Jovo for Luongo?!? Clouiter + Bertuzzi for Luongo isn't good from a Vancouver standpoint?!?!

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Mike Works said:

haha. whoops.

R_Gill said:
MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey reports Kirk Muller was recently seen dining with Canadiens GM Bob Gainey and head coach Guy Carbonneau, fuelling speculation he could become part of the coaching staff, which could be formally announced by the draft weekend. Hickey also noted Toronto Maple Leafs tough guy Tie Domi was recently seen dining with Habs blueliner Sheldon Souray. Domi is rumoured to be on the verge of having his contract bought out by the Leafs and Hickey claims Domi is a character player Gainey and Carbonneau covet.

yeah, right. Tie Domi is finished playing if he wants anything more than 600 k. A GM would have to be retarted to sign him, and last time I checked the Islanders fired Millbury.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Wolf said:
Nashville Predators
# G Chris Mason, 29
# D Mark Eaton, 28
# D Danny Markov, 29
# D Brendan Witt, 31
# D Marek Zidlicky, 29
# F Greg Johnson, 35
# F Yanic Perreault, 35
# F Mike Sillinger, 34
For anyone who cares:

Mason is shopping around for a #1 man job based on his playoff exposure
Eaton is going to be gone
Markov will probably be gone, too much bank and we didn't even see a glimpse of the Markov who went +18 or something insane in his last playoff run
Witt is a big question mark, I doubt Poile will want to let him go so easy after giving up a first round pick, but Witt's salary is awful high
Zidlicky has been resigned for breadcrumbs
Johnson (our captain) is gone
Perreault was huge for us while making league minimum, however did not play at all in the playoffs due to his age and speed
Sillinger is going to test the market, said he wanted to stay in Nashville but I guess Poile thought his $$ was a bit high for his age

sefskillz said:
For anyone who cares:

Mason is shopping around for a #1 man job based on his playoff exposure

How's this Mason kid?
I'm a Lightning fan, and we need a goalie.... and a defense... and a GM that hasn't gone batshit insane throwing money at people....

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Mike Works said:

edit: Jovanovski isn't worth anything to the Canucks? Luongo isn't worth anything to the Panthers?! We should trade Jovo for Luongo?!? Clouiter + Bertuzzi for Luongo isn't good from a Vancouver standpoint?!?!

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS

If Vancouver could pull off Cloutier + Bertuzzi for Luongo I would be surprised, number 1 it gets rid of Bertuzzi and Cloutiers contracts. Also Canucks would have a great 1,2 goaltending tandem. Possibly best in the league.

I think Florida would be better off just keeping Luongo.

Every team needs strong goaltending, especailly young teams ... Bertuzzi/Cloutier are not going to make your team any better.

If anything Florida should focus on beefing up their defense.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
soundwave05 said:
I think Florida would be better off just keeping Luongo.

Every team needs strong goaltending, especailly young teams ... Bertuzzi/Cloutier are not going to make your team any better.

If anything Florida should focus on beefing up their defense.

With Mike Keenan as their GM anything can happen.

ForzaItalia said:
I will :lol so hard if Dummi ends up in a Habs jersey. Even more reason to hate on them....

If Ferguson has the balls to buy Domi out, I think Domi would retire. He's done.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
R_GILL said:
If Ferguson has the balls to buy Domi out, I think Domi would retire. He's done.

See but the thing is, in Domi's mind he is a first line player who wants ice time. Domi is the kind of guy who would want to get back at the Leafs and sign elsewhere if he was bought out. Plus he has lots of "friends" like he always tells us....

Solo

Wolf said:
Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced on Tuesday that Kirk Muller was hired as an assistant coach.

Oh yeah, my boy Kirk (favorite from the early 90's Habs)!

dem

Don't be surprised if the Oilers trade Chris Pronger to free up money. He has a whopping salary and the return could be significant.
-Al Strachan

What an idiot..

Manics

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
See but the thing is, in Domi's mind he is a first line player who wants ice time. Domi is the kind of guy who would want to get back at the Leafs and sign elsewhere if he was bought out. Plus he has lots of "friends" like he always tells us....

Tie Domi on the Habs would be great. I would love to see how Wolf plays him up as a great 2 way hockey player who compliments the already formidable Hab attack. :lol

calder

:lol Never mind the hiring (although I did laugh a bit) but the CP story about the Canucks hiring Alain Vigneault is HILARIOUS. Obviously written by dem... I didn't know he was a wire reporter.

Canadian Press

6/20/2006 5:33:38 PM

VANCOUVER (CP) - Alain Vigneault became the Vancouver Canucks' 16th coach in its unflattering history in the NHL, promising Tuesday to try to take the team where few previous coaches have gone before.

''I'm going to make sure (the team is) well-prepared, works hard and plays with commitment and passion,'' Vigneault said after an introduction by general manager Dave Nonis.

''All my teams have done that.''

Nonis, whose own job is far from secure after the Canucks failed to make the playoffs, is hoping Vigneault can guide the Canucks to the Stanley Cup - a goal that has eluded the franchise since it entered the NHL for the 1970-71 season.

Vigneault sounded acutely aware of the Canucks' troubled history.

''I know this group might not have met expectations, but there's a solid base here,'' he said. ''Obviously, there's some things that are going to be done personnel-wise.

Only two coaches in the franchise's dismal history have had winning records - Pat Quinn and Marc Crawford - and they were eventually fired.

Long-suffering fans have seen the club get to the Stanley Cup final only twice - in 1982 and 1994 - but the city has yet to stage a Cup parade downtown.

Since entering the league, the Canucks have an overall winning percentage of only .452, meaning they've lost far more games than they've won in 3½ decades.

Vigneault, who said he has been described as a disciplinarian by some and as a players' coach by others, suggested Tuesday he might have to be a hardass.

''In watching the news at night and listening to comments of certain (Canucks) players at different times, a lot of times guys brought up the fact that maybe they hadn't worked hard enough or had gotten outworked.

''Well, I'm pretty confident that we can fix that with the proper direction.''

He spent last season behind the bench of the Manitoba Moose, Vancouver's American Hockey League affiliate in Winnipeg.
Ouch! Although Vigneault apparently did a decent job with the Moose, I still have trouble imagining the Canucks couldn't have found someone more obviously a good fit for the team. And at least the Canucks didn't do something truly stupid like hire Quinn.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Lord Helmet said:
How's this Mason kid?
I'm a Lightning fan, and we need a goalie.... and a defense... and a GM that hasn't gone batshit insane throwing money at people....
He's very solid and was absolutely lights out after the Vokoun injury before the post season started and he definitely wasn't the reason we lost to the Sharks. I've been pretty convinced Tampa will give him solid consideration for awhile now, but I'm just not sure he can grab a #1 spot with some of the goalies coming out of free agency... especially 'hey here's a rebound' Legace.

calder

Hmm, the Luongo rumours are getting pretty thick - maybe there's something to them this time after all. A blockbuster trade on Saturday would be awesome, but this will likely be the same ol' hockey media mongering where one reporter pulls a trade rumour out of his ass and it gets repeated and circles the continent a few times until it looks legit simply because you see it mentioned over and over again.

Recent media reports claim the clubs with the top five picks — St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington and Boston — are entertaining offers from other teams, with most of the attention focused on the Blues and Penguins.

It's believed Blues GM Larry Pleau will retain his pick to select U.S. National Team defenseman Erik Johnson, but a report in Sunday's Ottawa Sun claims he might be willing to move the pick for a top starting goaltender. The Sun reported the Mighty Ducks and Sharks, two teams with goalies to move, are believed to have contacted Pleau about a possible deal.

While Johnson is rated the top prospect in this year's draft, the Blues are already deep in young blueliners with former Calder winner Barrett Jackman, former Team Canada Olympian Eric Brewer and Christian Backman. Pleau could instead decide to bolster his forward lines by selecting the promising Jordan Staal, ranked as the No. 2 prospect this season and whose brother is Hurricanes budding superstar Eric Staal.

New Penguins GM Ray Shero might also be very interested in Johnson. He already has a young superstar forward in Sidney Crosby and another on the way next season in Evgeny Malkin, and appears set in goal with young netminder Marc-Andre Fleury, but Shero lacks a promising defenseman to one day anchor his blueline corps.

Johnson would probably fill that need, so it wouldn't be surprising if Shero has already spoken with Pleau over swapping picks or perhaps about Pleau's intentions with the first overall pick.

There's also the rumor that Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford might offer the Penguins promising young defenseman Jack Johnson, whom the 'Canes drafted second overall last year, in exchange for the Pens' pick. Rutherford would supposedly use that pick to select Jordan Staal.

Bruins acting GM Jeff Gorton admitted to the Boston media he's been fielding inquiries about his pick, and if the right offer were there for a good young NHL roster player he'd be willing to make a deal. Rival clubs may not be willing to give up that much for the fifth overall selection, so the Bruins will probably retain that pick.

There's also the increasing likelihood that a major trade involving established NHL players could be announced this weekend.

The Lightning and Red Wings are actively shopping for goaltenders, and with several goalies of various ability believed available, anticipation is ramping up that one or both clubs could make their moves at the draft.

Florida's Roberto Luongo, Dallas's Marty Turco, Anaheim's Jean-Sebastien Giguere, San Jose's Evgeny Nabokov, Buffalo's Martin Biron, Montreal's David Aebischer and Boston's Andrew Raycroft are rumored to be possible targets.

What's unclear is which current Lightning and Red Wings players could become the trade bait required to land one of them.

Lightning GM Jay Feaster could shop forwards Fredik Modin, Ruslan Fedotenko and Dmitry Afanasenkov and defenseman Darryl Sydor, but if Feaster hopes to land bigger fish like Luongo or Turco, it could cost him Martin St. Louis or Vincent Lecavalier.

Wings GM Ken Holland would probably prefer to shop expensive veterans like Robert Lang or Mathieu Schneider, but to bring in someone like Luongo, whom some in the Detroit media are actively stumping for, it could cost him Pavel Datsyuk or Henrik Zetterberg.

Feaster has maintained he doesn't want to be known as the man who traded Lecavalier and Holland maintains he has no intention of moving Datsyuk. If we take both at their word, it means Luongo and Turco won't be playing in Detroit or Tampa Bay next season.

Until recently Luongo was apparently destined to re-sign with the Panthers, but he and his agent have continually spurned the club's contract offers, and their recent insistence on a one-year contract may put incredible pressure on general manager Mike Keenan to move him.

A report in Sunday's Palm Beach Post suggests the Panthers have until July 1 to get Luongo re-signed to a long-term deal. Failing that, the Panthers wouldn't be able to negotiate with him again until January. Luongo would also be eligible for UFA status next summer, which could adversely affect his trade value, hence the talk that Keenan may be forced to move him as early as this coming weekend.
Spector may be an idiot, but he gathers published trade rumours pretty well. The Blues trading their pick makes a LOT of sense, but will they have the nuts to do it? They'd need a very good starting goalie, but who would give it up for a potential franchise D?

fallout

dem said:
Don't be surprised if the Oilers trade Chris Pronger to free up money. He has a whopping salary and the return could be significant.
-Al Strachan

What an idiot..
:lol Sign a guy for a long-term deal to help your team. In his first year, he does well in the regular season and then turns into the best player of the playoffs, helping your team get to game 7 of the finals. Then you trade him.

Man, do these guys even think, or do they just say shit to fill a page?

Trading a player when his value will never be any higher than it is now? Gosh.....I've never heard of that at all.....

Manics said:
Tie Domi on the Habs would be great. I would love to see how Wolf plays him up as a great 2 way hockey player who compliments the already formidable Hab attack. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

darscot

I can't believe that anyone would even imagine trading Pronger. The guy was a God in the playoffs. Big, strong, mean and his outlet pass was a thing of beauty. I'm not even an Oilers fan. I can't imagine the backlash in that city if they moved him.

dem

ForzaItalia said:
Trading a player when his value will never be any higher than it is now? Gosh.....I've never heard of that at all.....

There are no words to describe how incredibly stupid you are.

rs7k

ForzaItalia said:

Yeah, but trading Pronger disqualifies the Oilers as a cup contender next year.

dem

ForzaItalia said:
Stupid is you Oilers fans slamming him all season and then ball washing him during and after the playoffs.

headscratch.gif

Find one post of mine "slamming" pronger.
shut the **** up
the only people slamming pronger were the stupid mother****ers in the east who complained he wasnt getting enough points at the start of the season.

darscot

The media was on Pronger but I doubt it was in Edmonton. There was a lot of talk of him not being able to adjust to the new rules. The guy has always been liberal with his stick. He silenced everyone in the playoffs. How many penalties did he even take? This is Strachan were talking about the guy is a complete moron.

I'll wait for you guys to come down off that game 7 high in order to start thinking a little more clearly. I'm sure Chris Pronger will win you the Cup next year.

I say trade him now while the getting is good....

dem

Yeah.. Washinton should trade Ovechkin while the getting is good too. The Sharks should trade Thornton too now that he won the scoring race. The Rangers should trade Jagr after that dynamite year.

**** winning... lets just collect young players and draft picks!!!
Moron

With all due respect, the only one acting like a moron is you with the lame insults. Like I said, I'm sure Pronger will win you the Cup next year for sure.

dem

Id insult your team but I dont know who the **** you are or what awful team you cheer for.

sefskillz said:
He's very solid and was absolutely lights out after the Vokoun injury before the post season started and he definitely wasn't the reason we lost to the Sharks. I've been pretty convinced Tampa will give him solid consideration for awhile now, but I'm just not sure he can grab a #1 spot with some of the goalies coming out of free agency... especially 'hey here's a rebound' Legace.

Sounds promising... all the other goalies out there are going to cost far too much for us really. We've got half our payroll tied up in three obnoxious contracts (Vinny, Marty, and Brad)... sure Feaster may trade someone, but I dunno what to think anymore. Last season had several bonehead moves played out... hopefully things will be clearer after this weekend.

As for Florida, I don't see them trading Luongo within the division (I wish)... I'm suprised they're shopping him at all, but whatever. Gives us someone else to finish ahead of next season besides Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom