• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball seeks Billion Dollar shoe contract for 3 son package deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy I wonder if America is ready for LaVar, I doubt it. I might not like him proclaiming his son is even better than Curry already but I can understand his motivations for doing what he's doing.

Curry's a fraud, I believe Lavar 100% when it comes to Lonzo being better.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I really don't want my Sixers to pick this dude's son. I hope to God they succeed despite of their over barring loud mouth pop.

Deepwater

QrCC14g.jpg

Saw this on Twitter, and it makes sense.

nomster

I'm an AZ fan but Lonzo is one of the most entertaining college players I've seen in a long time, and doesn't seem to carry around his Dad's personality (at least not from what I've seen/heard). Too bad his dad takes some of the attention from him.

Edit - shouldn't have said "all" the attention - Lonzo is getting plenty.

"Another thing that LaVar said in the TMZ interview (point #5) is that he carefully chose his wife (Tina Ball) to create a basketball factory.

The two met while both playing basketball at Cal State Los Angeles, and, based on Tina’s 6-foot stature, LaVar knew it was love.

“When they came out the womb, from me picking my wife. This stuff was planned man, this wasn’t no accident. Man, when I was growing up, I had a lot of little short cuties. But a tall, pretty woman like that [plays] basketball like that – what else could go together?”"

http://www.sportsbettingexperts.com/top-10-quotes-from-lavar-ball-lonzo-balls-dad/

That clothing line he keeps trying to push is, like, 1997 Eastbay catalog level corny, but aside from that I can't be too mad at a guy who is trying to get every dollar he can for himself and his family, when everyone else is making money off of them. Archie Manning was far less boisterous about it, but he runs/ran his kids like a well oiled marketing machine too.

Folks like to handwave Archie doing that sort of thing...

Jon Armdog

"You can give it to me all up front." Give it to ME.

I hope at least one of his sons tells him to fuck off and gets a real agent who isn't going to steal all his money

Arol

He should probably keep his brand for more long term success, especially if at least one kid is a success long term.

Would be incredible for all three to actually become great ball players at the NBA level.

I wonder what the odds of that would be.

jwhit28

So is Lonzo Ball just going to refuse to sign and pass on 3-4 years of sponsorship waiting for his brothers to get out of college?

He should probably keep his brand for more long term success, especially if at least one kid is a success long term.

Would be incredible for all three to actually become great ball players at the NBA level.

I wonder what the odds of that would be.

Archie Manning had two sons win two SBs each and iirc, the oldest son (who couldn't play due to injury) was better than both Pey Pey and ELIte.

Plus, in basketball, 3 Plumlee brothers made the NBA. Two Lopez brothers.

It could happen.

Luschient

Dude wants to get himself and family paid? No problem with that
Dude talks a ton of shit? Who cares, part of the game.
Dude says he could beat Jordan in his prime? L O fuckin' L

seanoff

He's got this backwards.

You've got to prove you are worth the money. These kids have proved nothing.

Maybe its just a ploy to push up any initial contract. But he seems a little optimistic.

He's got this backwards.

Maybe its just a ploy to push up any initial contract. But he seems a little optimistic.

No you don't. Kids get massive shoe deals before playing a minute of pro ball these days and have been for the last 10-15 years. The entire thing, from AAU to NCAA to agents/lawyers to the NBA exist to start making money off these guys from the time they are 13. Heaven forbid some of them start trying to make some money for themselves.

Proelite

Obviously LaVar is joking with the MJ stuff.

I'm just glad that none of our player's dads are like this. We've had enough extracurriculars this year with Grayson.

No you don't. Kids get massive shoe deals before playing a minute of pro ball these days and have been for the last 10-15 years. The entire thing, from AAU to NCAA to agents/lawyers to the NBA exist to start making money off these guys from the time they are 13. Heaven forbid some of them start trying to make some money for themselves.

Technically players are prohibited from signing any deals before or during their NCAA careers. You can't make money off your basketball skills during anytime of your life if you want to play or remain playing college bball.

FZZ

Banned
Lonzo is probably the best out of them

LaMelo cherry picked

and I just feel bad for the middle child

He's got this backwards.

LeBron had $90 million dollars before dribbling a single ball in the pros. Obviously Ball isn't LeBron but he is projected to go Top 3 in June.

Tell me again why he is doing it backwards.

LaVar is the dumbest smart motherfucker

I feel bad for Lonzo dealing with his bullshit

Can you link me where Lonzo is complaining about LaVar's bullshit which made you feel bad?

I seem to have missed that.

People forget that LBJ had $90M from Nike shortly after HS.

For the dad, he's not doing anything different than Archie Manning. If you have no problems there, you shouldn't here, because it's the same thing. He wasn't even low-key about it.

seanoff

There's a galaxy of difference between a million or even $10million and $1B.

Those $1B contracts are reserved for MJ and LBJ. Proven global megastars.

Not some kid who played a decent season for UCLA.

The arse end of NBA benches and the D League is littered with players who were stars in college.

This kid has proved nothing. If he turns into MJ or LBJ. Good. He'll get paid. If not, he wont.

LionPride

Banned
LeBron had $90 million dollars before dribbling a single ball in the pros. Obviously Ball isn't LeBron but he is projected to go Top 3 in June.

Tell me again why he is doing it backwards.

Can you link me where Lonzo is complaining about LaVar's bullshit which made you feel bad?

I seem to have missed that.
No link rn, but anytime Lonzo is asked all he says is he wants to play ball and nothing else. He doesn't care where he goes. He's humble.

dtrush

Liangelo has no business playing d1 bball. What a waste of a scholarship that should go to someone who actually can ball.

The arse end of NBA benches and the D League is littered with players who were stars in college.

This kid has proved nothing. If he turns into MJ or LBJ. Good. He'll get paid. If not, he wont.

You are right he should only ask for what he is worth, possibly less, that's negotiating 101.

I don't think Lavar actually believes his sons are going to get a 3 person $1B contact but he's making it clear that any brand that wants to sign Lonzo better get ready to pay. By the way, Lonzo is going to get paid a ton of money by some company before he plays a second of professional basketball regardless of what his dad does or doesn't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom