• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball to pull son LaMelo from Chino Hills HS and train him for the next 2 years

Madness

Because if you're not spending months learning grade 11 social studies and algebra in a SoCal public school, you are clearly going to be messed up. It doesn't matter if you already have your own shoe ans brand and drive a lambo at 16 or have a guaranteed full ride to UCLA. You cannot have a father want to train his basketball playing son. It is heresey don't you know?

v0yce

Because if you're not spending months learning grade 11 social studies and algebra in a SoCal public school, you are clearly going to be messed up. It doesn't matter if you already have your own shoe ans brand and drive a lambo at 16 or have a guaranteed full ride to UCLA. You cannot have a father want to train his basketball playing son. It is heresey don't you know?

You can't spell Lamborghini can you?

Linkura

tenor.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
wait, how is not playing with a team going to make him the best basketball player?

he can train with better competition. i mean did you watch his 90+ point game? a majority of those HS players won't even be looked at by scouts to play college ball.

Kusagari

Nothing LaMelo does in HS ball right now will probably help him much anyway. If LaVar uses this time to have him train with better players and do strength and conditioning before UCLA it could benefit him a lot.

v0yce

Nothing LaMelo does in HS ball right now will probably help him much anyway. If LaVar uses this time to have him train with better players and do strength and conditioning before UCLA it could benefit him a lot.

What about go to class, learn things, socialize and be a well rounded human being?

And that has impacted Kyrie's paycheck how?

Melo was a much better prospect than any of the Ball kids.

Are we gauging on what's best for the kid for $$$ or for basketball?

Kyrie is fucking terrible at defense, and the Cavs were one of the worst defensive teams in the league with him on the floor last year, no amount of money will change that.

Playing cherry-pick bball in HS and spending 6 months playing UCLA's historically bad zone defense isn't going to make him ready to stay in front of the Chris Paul's of the world.

CDX

Meh. It's not like a public high school education in this country is so great that it can't be replicated or even exceeded if you have the financial resources to do it.

Plenty of Tennis kids and kids in other solo sports at the Olympic level, forego traditional high school and instead choose to homeschool for high school. So it's not unheard of.

...I've just never heard of a kid involved in a team sport doing it.

But LaMello already has a guaranteed free ride to UCLA so it's not like his lack of playing on a highschool team will hurt his college prospects. ...maybe he'll spend more time practicing with his older brothers and their more experienced peers and he'll end up better prepared for UCLA than if he stayed on a high school team playing against only other high school level skilled players.

Social Workers love tying to take away kids who are homeschooled. I would like to see them try to take LaMelo from LaVar lmao lights camera action!

LionPride

Banned
Are we gauging on what's best for the kid for $$$ or for basketball?

Kyrie is fucking terrible at defense, and the Cavs were one of the worst defensive teams in the league with him on the floor last year, no amount of money will change that.

Playing cherry-pick bball in HS and spending 6 months playing UCLA's historically bad zone defense isn't going to make him ready to stay in front of the Chris Paul's of the world.
Um Kyrie is still better than IT...facts
They have never worked a day in their life. The 16 year old already has a lambo. People like that don’t fit in with normal society.
Disagree

cbrun44

For some reason, this sounds more like a wish than a prediction. (Maybe not your post in particular but that is the vibe I am getting from many posts).

Not at all and I understand what you saying. Just feels like a Todd Marinovich situation. Father who controls his kids every move to that kids detriment. There will be teams who won't won't touch these kids unless they are absolute superstars which is way early at this point. Who wants to deal with dad unless you have to.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not at all and I understand what you saying. Just feels like a Todd Marinovich situation. Father who controls his kids every move to that kids detriment. There will be teams who won't won't touch these kids unless they are absolute superstars which is way early at this point. Who wants to deal with dad unless you have to.

It’s not way early at all. If there are any teams unwilling to give a well scouted kid a scholarship because his parents they are dumb as all the other top programs are fighting to sign that kid.

Sandfox

They have never worked a day in their life. The 16 year old already has a lambo. People like that don’t fit in with normal society.
The kid is on the path to be a pro athlete and has a full ride to UCLA. He's in a pretty good situation right now.

cbrun44

It’s not way early at all. If there are any teams unwilling to give a well scouted kid a scholarship because his parents they are dumb as all the other top programs are fighting to sign that kid.

I'm talking NBA, not college. Any school in America would take them for their 1 semester prior to declaring. I'm talking down the road.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm talking NBA, not college. Any school in America would take them for their 1 semester prior to declaring. I'm talking down the road.

unless there are injury/health or behavior/off court issues i doubt teams completely pass on a player because of their parents.

lavar was a complete non-factor for Lonzo at UCLA.

Dynomutt

This thread....

Some people have no idea how the basketball circuit actually works...
Are not aware that AAU brings in the same if not more scouts than HS ball...
Are probably just haters...

HS is not a priority, so not a big deal. Only question is, can he stay NCAA eligible with everything his dad will do in two years? May have to go to Europe in two years.

Quixzlizx

I mean, I guess it doesn't matter because his family is rich and he can coast forever regardless of his level of personal success, but what is he going to do with his hyper-focused NBA player education if he isn't good enough for the NBA?

Tripon

Even though they said home school, LeMelo could easily sign up for an independent study program though the district or a charter organization, and basically turn in packets of work to show content mastery.

You can't just say your child will be homeschooled and that will be that. If you are going through the actual process, LaVar would have to register his home as as private school, show competency as a teacher somehow, and make sure LeMelo's health and other relevant information is up to date with the state.

Vice

They are on.their way to being pro athletes. They're bound to be at least a little fucked up. Once the NBA life sets in, it's over. So far the younger ones are just on some regular Rich Kids of IG stuff.

I feel like this attitude is common among sports families, no?

My roommate “went to school” with Tim Tebow but he told me Tim was basically home schooled. He had his own apartment just to play football at Nease.

Top Bottom