• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Breaking Bad" - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
tucopumped.gif

And the reaction...

bbshockedattuco.gif

Tortuga scene was legendary.

Some crazy tidbits from the article I linked earlier:
The overwhelming impression one gets is that Gilligan is a balls-out kind of TV writer, always proposing incredibly daring and provocative things and then gradually being restrained by calmer voices in his creative team, whom he has the good sense to listen to. The scene late in season two when Walter watches Jesse's girlfriend Jane choke to death on her own vomit? It originally featured Walter breaking into her house to shoot her up with a lethal dose of heroin, then was modified to a scene where he physically pushed the girl on her back, the better to facilitate her choking. The much subtler, much better version that made it to air? The result of Gilligan and his creative team (and some at the network) talking out just how far they wanted to take Walter how quickly.

"Go to those dark places, but don't go any farther than you have to," Gilligan said, explaining how he'll come up with these plot points but then gradually be reeled back in.

Another thing that was changed was Gilligan's original plan to kill Jesse in episode nine of the first season, a plan averted both by the writers strike (which cut that season short at seven episodes) and by Paul's livewire performance. "It became pretty clear early on that (killing Jesse) would have been a huge, colossal mistake," Gilligan said, as a way of explaining why he was already backing off of the plot idea before the strike began.

Perhaps surprisingly, "Breaking Bad," which has drawn comparisons to "The Wire" for the intricacies of its plotting, is not heavily plotted in terms of the writers knowing benchmarks they want to hit. Gilligan even claims to not have any idea how the series will end (though Cranston got him to admit that he has "an inkling" of how things might go and a sense of scenes he'd like to see as the series heads into its end game). Gilligan claims to eschew traditional season-building, where major events are decided on in advance, and the writers of the show write to those events. Instead, he said, the writers try very hard to figure out what each character would do in each situation and then write organically from there. From that point of view, the death of Jesse would have been a mistake, an attempt to make the "Breaking Bad" universe more deterministic and less organic.

"It was a mechanical way of making Walt feel really, really bad at the end of season one," Gilligan said. Earlier, he added, "If you're being honest, you don't write to tentpoles for these characters. ... We explore without a map."

Cranston, for one, welcomes the sense of freedom that this whole situation gives him.

"I have no idea where I'm going, and it's frightening and exciting to me," the actor said.
The stuff about the plotting is surprising as I always assumed that Gilligan had close control and a plan for where everything is going.

JaseC said:
"blah blah can't be viewed in your country". :(
A lot of the promos are on youtube if you're dying to see them. I don't have the link in front of me right now, but I'll try and remember to post it tomorrow for those that are interested.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Nyx said:
I still hate Walter for letting Jesse's girl choke in her own vomit.

One of the best moments in TV history, if you ask me. Absolutely amazing in so many ways.

Nyx said:
I still hate Walter for letting Jesse's girl choke in her own vomit.
Imagine if they would have gone with the original script and had him inject her with heroin. They're doing a good job of sitting him in the gray area right now - I want to pull for Walt as the protagonist, but I'm cringing at the same time.

Tim Goodman's new podcast w/ Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan.
"Breaking Bad" creator Vince Gilligan. Celebrity Podcast Interview.

"Breaking Bad," the brilliant AMC series created by Vince Gilligan, starts Season 3 on Sunday, March 21. How good is this series? After only 20 episodes in two seasons, I picked it for my list of the best shows of the decade. I touch on that reason right out of the gate in this interview: Few series have achieved greatness as quickly as "Breaking Bad." And Gilligan, a former writer and producer for "The X-Files," is one of television's brightest stars. The low-key Gilligan may not yet have the instant name recognition of a David Chase or David Simon, but he has created a dense tapestry of brilliant touches on this series and deserves wider acclaim, as does the series. Will Season 3 be the big breakout for "Breaking Bad"? Have a listen.

SnakeXs

MightyHedgehog said:
I now regret having drinks and talking to some fine folks who know things, but Season 3 is destined to be some radioactively hot shit.

You son of a bitch.

Edit: I'm quite sad. I just had to switch to DirecTV, and found out there's no AMC HD. Breaking Bad in SD? What am I, an animal? ;_;

SnakeXs said:
Edit: I'm quite sad. I just had to switch to DirecTV, and found out there's no AMC HD. Breaking Bad in SD? What am I, an animal? ;_;
It's supposedly coming on the new satellite that they're testing right now. Hopefully it'll be running soon, though I'm not sure how much longer it's going to take.

SnakeXs

Cornballer said:
It's supposedly coming on the new satellite that they're testing right now. Hopefully it'll be running soon, though I'm not sure how much longer it's going to take.

As a complete noob to this whole thing, how often do channels get added? There's a few others I'm missing, too. I guess what's here being surprisingly better IQ wise helps... now if only I could wrap my head around what channels are where.

SnakeXs

Az987 said:
Im going to buy season 1 on blu-ray tuesday, and see if I like it. Then buy season 2 on blu-ray if I do

Save yourself the travel time/shipping charges/gas money and just pick them both up. Seriously.

SnakeXs said:
As a complete noob to this whole thing, how often do channels get added? There's a few others I'm missing, too. I guess what's here being surprisingly better IQ wise helps... now if only I could wrap my head around what channels are where.
It doesn't happen very often. I'm not an expert on these things, but my understanding is that they reached the capacity on their current setup, so they launched a new satellite to bring more HD channels online. Once they're done testing or whatever they're doing, they'll activate it and we get more HD channels. You can read all about it here if you want to geek out on how it works. The people on the forum estimate April or early May for having it running.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, I really want these on BD, but someone was saying that the PQ isn't all that good.

As long as it's AMC-HD quality I'm game, but I want to be sure. Anyone have them yet?

SnakeXs

Cornballer said:
It doesn't happen very often. I'm not an expert on these things, but my understanding is that they reached the capacity on their current setup, so they launched a new satellite to bring more HD channels online. Once they're done testing or whatever they're doing, they'll activate it and we get more HD channels. You can read all about it here if you want to geek out on how it works. The people on the forum estimate April or early May for having it running.

Awesome. Muchas gracias.

Mindlog

Cornballer said:
Tortuga scene was legendary.

Some crazy tidbits from the article I linked earlier:The stuff about the plotting is surprising as I always assumed that Gilligan had close control and a plan for where everything is going.

Great read.

It was really neat to see how Jane's death scene evolved. What we got was way better than what was originally scripted. It much more balanced between what's left of Walt's good side and his new emerging character. It's a better version of the plate scene.

Az987

all good things
KingGondo said:
Yeah, I really want these on BD, but someone was saying that the PQ isn't all that good.

As long as it's AMC-HD quality I'm game, but I want to be sure. Anyone have them yet?

heres some reviews,

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Breaking-Bad-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray-Review/9083/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Breaking-Bad-The-Complete-Second-Season-Blu-ray-Review/8966/

Seems that second season has better picture quality then the first. 3/5 PQ for season 1, 4/5 for season 2

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
SnakeXs said:
Save yourself the travel time/shipping charges/gas money and just pick them both up. Seriously.
For sure. Seasons 1 and 2 are actually basically one continuous season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom