• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Breaking Bad" - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope that they don't drag it out and run it into the ground, because I could see the show getting really old really fast. I'd be perfectly happy with it if they wrapped everything up after this season.

Anyway, some stuff regarding the
plane crash
that hasn't been brought up in this thread:
TCAS is a technology that exists exactly because of what happened in the finale with Jane's dad -- humans are prone to making mistakes. For pilots, TCAS always takes priority over conflicting orders from ATC, and since the technology has been implemented there have only been a handful of mid-air collisions, most of which can either be blamed on pilot error or equipment malfunction. TCAS is something that is on all commercial airliners. To say the collision was a stretch is a massive understatement, and it's especially perturbing that that they broke the rules of realism for such laughably heavy-handed symbolism. I like the show a great deal, but the people defending this really have no leg to stand on.

Again, I'm still looking forward to S3.

maharg

idspispopd
Note: When complaining about accuracy in a tv show, movie, or book, you will get less sympathy if you're ranting about extremely domain specific knowledge that the general public just plain doesn't know. It may be more difficult for YOU to suspend your disbelief, but that doesn't ruin it for everyone. If I didn't realize this, I'd never be able to see a movie with a computer in it.

maharg said:
Note: When complaining about accuracy in a tv show, movie, or book, you will get less sympathy if you're ranting about extremely domain specific knowledge that the general public just plain doesn't know. It may be more difficult for YOU to suspend your disbelief, but that doesn't ruin it for everyone. If I didn't realize this, I'd never be able to see a movie with a computer in it.
Airplanes having radar is extremely specific knowledge? I don't know anything about flying. I just found it a little hard to swallow that in this day and age we had yet to manage such a simple precaution and, lo and behold, I spent 10 minutes Googling around and found out that I had good reason to call bullshit. I don't think it's asking much for writers to take a half hour to research something before making it a major plot point.

Anyway, it's not like I'm totally butthurt and am going to avoid the show from here on. It's not going to sully the entire series or something like that, but I just think it's hilarious that people are actually trying to argue that shit was plausible. I can watch stuff like Enemy of the State or Die Hard 4 or Swordfish or Hackers without the pseudo-technology ruining it for me (although some of those are just garbage films to begin with) but I'm not going to even attempt to debate whether or not the computer-related stuff going on in these movies is possible. Do you see the distinction?

Although I do agree with the posts that say it disrupts the series' tone of normally stark realism, and it is a pretty strange misstep.

Mindlog

OptimoPeach said:
To say the collision was a stretch is a massive understatement, and it's especially perturbing that that they broke the rules of realism for such laughably heavy-handed symbolism. I like the show a great deal, but the people defending this really have no leg to stand on.

Again, I'm still looking forward to S3.

Clearly I'm a huge fan of the show and after several months of being able to reflect on the episode I still agree with this conclusion.

vanty

So S2 just finished airing here last week, so I was just reading through this thread to see if I can find the answer to something but couldn't find it. What exactly happened when Walt was in a store buying some stuff then looked in a shopping cart? It was several weeks ago and I wasn't paying close attention to what was going on so I can't remember it all that well. But what was in there, what was Walt talking about with the guy who came back to the cart, and then what happened out in the parking lot?

Ventrue

vanty. said:
So S2 just finished airing here last week, so I was just reading through this thread to see if I can find the answer to something but couldn't find it. What exactly happened when Walt was in a store buying some stuff then looked in a shopping cart? It was several weeks ago and I wasn't paying close attention to what was going on so I can't remember it all that well. But what was in there, what was Walt talking about with the guy who came back to the cart, and then what happened out in the parking lot?
Guy was buying meth stuff. Walt basically calls him an amateur and tells him to get out of his turf.

Boonoo

Yeah; it's a great scene that takes place just after Walt thinks he's more or less out of the game. He sees this kid buying meth stuff, and he helps him out a little. The realization that he loves this shit and is in it for the long haul slowly dawns on him, and he goes out into the parking lot and uses his Heisenberg rep to chase the upstarts out of his territory.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
permutated said:
Breaking Bad is to hard drugs as Dexter is to murder.

Amazing shows, when does Season 3 start? :---)

i think i read yesterday spring of 2010, which kind of broke my heart a little. i'm so ready for this story to continue--perhaps more than any other show, really, it has me on the line and very eager to make sure everyone's going to come out on the other side at least in tact.

Casting news: David Costabile (Damages, The Wire, FotC) is joining the cast for S3. Read about his role here. (No spoilers, just speculation related to his role.)

nwe9aa.jpg

Argh -- I really don't like that idea. I can imagine a guy like Walter existing and I can imagine many guys like Jesse existing.

Mr. Pollos is already a bit of a stretch.

And now this new dude is a little over the top as well.

By the way, I'm naturally pessimistic about things that I absolutely love and adore. Partially, it's to act as a reverse jinx and partially because I've had my heart broken by others (BSG, for example).

MightyHedgehog said:
Next year early, AFAIK. They're still shooting around town and at the studios.

They want to continue it as long as they can. So, as long as ratings hold up, they should go further than just three.

Yea my friend got to meet Bryan Cranston 2 weeks ago when he had to work on the set. I assume they're still filming.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Man, I really hope these episodes come out soon. I pretty much stopped watching television all together but will come back when Breaking Bad is on.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dave is ok said:
I trust Vince Gilligan with the plot. The second season was some of the best television I've ever seen.

yes. completely brilliant and devastating. the things jessie went through in the second season still affect me; i can still see his face twisted with emotion in those final two episodes, and it seriously breaks me.

god, you know, give this kid an award, actually. he's masterful.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Anybody else watching the show for the first time during AMC's post-Mad Men replay this season? Shit is fucking devastating. This last episode was the best yet. The whole time, I was like "somebody has gotta kill this bitch, but how can you get away with it?" and then Walt shows up and accidentally knocks her over and all of sudden all of the foreshadowing the whole episode hits me like "wow, this is brilliant."

Is the next episode the last of the season? Shit's gonna get real real when Jesse wakes up in the morning.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
beelzebozo said:
yes. completely brilliant and devastating. the things jessie went through in the second season still affect me; i can still see his face twisted with emotion in those final two episodes, and it seriously breaks me.

god, you know, give this kid an award, actually. he's masterful.
Yeah, in spite of loving Lost, I was pissed when Michael Emerson won the Supporting Actor Emmy over Aaron Paul.

He's young though. He'll get one soon

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
has any fellow nerd made a joke yet about this whole cancer situation with walt actually being a test of humanity by Q?

SpeedingUptoStop

Jessie's girlfriend kind of reminded me of Dexter's S2 girlfriend. Just went from normal, attractive, girl to crazy bitch that threatens the very foundation of the show.

Yaweee

I just finished watching the entire series. Hot damn, this show is awesome. It's already risen to one of my favorites, even if I did feel ripped off by the Season 2 Finale.

SpeedingUptoStop

Caught the final ep. I'm somewhere in between. I do like the visual metaphor. The serendipity of him causing the mayhem. His backyard though? Something about that is too much. I would've appreciated it more if they hid the flashbacks that indicated it was his house. When the final episode went full blown exposing that their was carnage at his home in the beginning, it promised the viewer too much. Wrote a check it couldn't cash. It was silly.

The titles across the season connecting was a clever way of saying "we planned this all along" and that kind of forward thinking is appreciated by me. Next time though, guys...be a little more subtle, please. Season 3 finales are a high standard to live up to, in my experience.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The symbolism of the
plane collision/falling in his backyard/etc.
is so audacious and whole that I kinda give it a pass. It exists in a different sphere than most of the events of the show, just as the breadcrumbs sprinkled throughout the season leading us up to it are set apart from the episodes they're in. I think the surreal teasers (
debris floating in the pool and all that
) are there to comment on the final event just as much as they are to tease the audience about some horrific explosion. It's a big leap and Breaking Bad commits to it completely, some will go with it and some won't.

Kafarabo

Banned
One of my top shows. Even though I wasn't a fan of the season 2 ending, the few episodes before were top quality. Almost 70 days to wait, its too long, and dexter just ended too.
I guess ill just be settling with house and lie to me for now. Lost is starting up again in about a month, and ill be watching, but not expecting much.

Excerpts from the press release:
AMC will premiere the highly anticipated third season of “Breaking Bad” on Sunday, March 21 at 10pm ET/PT. Back-to-back Emmy® winner Bryan Cranston will serve double duty as director of the premiere episode, “No Mas.”

Leading up to the highly-anticipated new season will be a “Best of Breaking Bad” Marathon, featuring six of the series' best episodes, on Friday, March 19 beginning at 8pm ET/PT. In addition, season two will be available On Demand beginning in February.

“Breaking Bad” season three will also be complemented by a variety of exclusive online material at AMCTV.COM. Among the special digital content is a “Top 10 Baddest Moments” video special, counting down some of the series most outrageous scenes to date; an interactive graphic novel game, in which users can grill a suspect; all-new “webisodes;” Inside “Breaking Bad” videos; and a Criminal Aptitude Test.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Falch said:
Cannot wait. Almost as excited for this as for Lost.

equal for me. the shit that went down in the season finales for both these shows falls into the "holy fuck must know what happens next" category.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Fck, I thought this was bumped because it was starting soon. March is way too long for this show, definitely my most wanted return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom