• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball seeks Billion Dollar shoe contract for 3 son package deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN

LaVar Ball has a price for his sons: $1 billion.

The father of UCLA guard Lonzo Ball and his brothers LiAngelo and LaMelo, high schoolers who are also committed to the Bruins, said he's looking for a packaged shoe deal involving his three sons that would be worth $1 billion.

"A billion dollars, it has to be there," Ball told USA Today in an article published Monday. "That's our number, a billion, straight out of the gate. And you don't even have to give it to me all up front. Give us $100 million a year."

LaVar said last month that if Lonzo didn't sign with Nike, Adidas or Under Armour when he left college for the NBA, he would sign with the Big Baller

Ball-Fam-3-634x423.png

LaVar filed for the trademark to the phrase last year, and was granted the trademark last week for use on athletic apparel. Ball is still waiting for the trademark to the actual logo, which features three "B's" for the sons and the motto "Built For This."

LaVar Ball has made many proclamations about his oldest son, UCLA freshman Lonzo Ball, and his two younger sons who are both in high school. Richard Mackson/USA TODAY Sports
It would be hard to sell the three sons as a package deal since the earliest a shoe brand could commit would be March of 2020, in order to preserve the youngest son's eligibility.

Lonzo is expected to be a top-three pick in June's NBA draft. LiAngelo will play for UCLA next season, and LaMelo has two more years of high school remaining before heading to the Bruins.

For perspective, it is believed that LeBron James' most recent contract with Nike -- a lifetime deal signed in December 2015 -- will be worth at least $1 billion. Nike pays Michael Jordan more than $100 million annually in guarantees and royalties for the Jordan brand.

After that, there's a big falloff.

most annoying sports dad in recent history. I don't even watch college ball(it's ugly as fuck) but this dude can shuuuut the fuuuuuuuuck up.

Would be hilarious if all three of his sons were busts.

VeeP

Who the fuck is this guy

Dudes son is a talented college basketball player. His dad goes on social media and constantly claims how his son is the best, will only play for the lakers, can beat Steph Curry, told Charles Barkeley if he had the mentality of his son he would've won a championship, etc.

One of them of not more will be a bust. No one is doing this. Lonzo needs to drop his ass

All the kids look like jokes just by association

FTF

lol he should take 5% of that and be happy and shut up.

Also, the kids need to make their own deals so they don't get screwed, etc.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
He should probably be able to write 1 billion with the correct number of zeros before he starts asking for that amount of money.

People are going to hate but closed mouths don't get fed. Don't know how much they'll get but I personally hope they're paid handsomely.

theWB27

He wants Jordan money? For three kids that haven't done jack shit. 100 mill a year?

Pops needs to take a breather

Look at those chicken legs! How you gonna drive through the lane with those skinny things? Better hope all three of em are better at long shots than steph curry if they want to do anything in pro ball.

That clothing line he keeps trying to push is, like, 1997 Eastbay catalog level corny, but aside from that I can't be too mad at a guy who is trying to get every dollar he can for himself and his family, when everyone else is making money off of them. Archie Manning was far less boisterous about it, but he runs/ran his kids like a well oiled marketing machine too.

Dynomutt

That clothing line he keeps trying to push is, like, 1997 Eastbay catalog level corny, but aside from that I can't be too mad at a guy who is trying to get every dollar he can for himself and his family, when everyone else is making money off of them. Archie Manning was far less boisterous about it, but he runs/ran his kids like a well oiled marketing machine too.

569596.jpg

Like DaDa! These things came in infinite colors.

Man, the balls on this guy to think he could command such a deal.

(come on GAF, the joke practically writes itself, how'd you guys miss it?)

NYR

Yes, let's wish misfortune to the children because their father is a loud mouth.

:|
Not like they are telling their dad to cool it and let them do them, they are letting him ruin their reputations and brand. He is a nobody leeching off of them and they are letting it happen.

Not like they are telling their dad to cool it and let them do them, they are letting him ruin their reputations and brand. He is a nobody leeching off of them and letting it happen.

He's not ruining anything. The oldest son is about to be a top 3 pick in the draft after turning around a dormant college powerhouse, and the other two sons have D1 UCLA basketball scholarships in their back pockets, and he was pretty instrumental in putting them in those positions. What the fuck is being ruined?

Not like they are telling their dad to cool it and let them do them, they are letting him ruin their reputations and brand. He is a nobody leeching off of them and they are letting it happen.

You should watch the clip from Skip and Shannon where they asked him that exact question. His answer was, "I'm their father--they don't tell me what to do. Are you crazy?"

These kids ain't just saying, "Pop, STFU."

Ain't happening.

These types of fathers were the worst when it came to playing sports. The ones who had no talent, see their kid doing well, and then latch on like a leech and suck the life out of them and everyone around them.

What's sad is one of them probably doesn't even care to play basketball, but feels forced to because of their dad.

While I think the dad is jumping the gun waayyyy too early, Im impressed that he (and his entourage, surely) has came up with a well thought out marketing plan.

NYR

You should watch the clip from Skip and Shannon where they asked him that exact question. His answer was, "I'm their father--they don't tell me what to do. Are you crazy?"

These kids ain't just saying, "Pop, STFU."

Ain't happening.
lol, I'll have to google that.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than $3 billion if I were him.

Isn't Lonzo the only legit prospect of the three right now?

These types of fathers were the worst when it came to playing sports. The ones who had no talent, see their kid doing well, and then latch on like a leech and suck the life out of them and everyone around them.

What's sad is one of them probably doesn't even care to play basketball, but feels forced to because of their dad.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think the dad had "no talent". Both LaVar Ball and his wife were college athletes.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than $3 billion if I were him.

Isn't Lonzo the only legit prospect of the three right now?

Probably, but I believe in order to get Lonzo to commit to UCLA they had to agree to take the other two as well. LiAngelo is probably the weakest prospect of the three and he'll be playing D1 ball at UCLA next year. Whatever he's doing is working. Dude is a loudmouth but he's gaming the system better than people give him credit for.

Like I said, Archie Manning was out there telling Eli which teams to play for and which teams to refuse to play for and nobody said a peep about how he tried to orchestrate his son's career. Gee wonder why. Can only imagine the shit storm if Lonzo was drafted by Philly and refused to play for them because that's what Daddy told him to do.

Probably, but I believe in order to get Lonzo to commit to UCLA they had to agree to take the other two as well. LiAngelo is probably the weakest prospect of the three and he'll be playing D1 ball at UCLA next year. Whatever he's doing is working. Dude is a loudmouth but he's gaming the system better than people give him credit for.

Can't blame a guy for at least getting his other kids to get a full ride scholarship to a good school even if they're nowhere close to as good as Lonzo.

Oh boy I wonder if America is ready for LaVar, I doubt it. I might not like him proclaiming his son is even better than Curry already but I can understand his motivations for doing what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom