• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball to pull son LaMelo from Chino Hills HS and train him for the next 2 years

Kelsdesu

It's just one year outta HS

A year the NCAA gets to capitalize off another kid.

playing pro internationally for a year is an option. just not the nba. its a dumb rule for sure.

The way his pops be making moise for the family he might get an endorsement, or something. As opposed to working for free in the NCAA when his intent to go pro is quite clear, so yeah its a shit rule that keeps college ball essentially as a farm league.

_woLf

This dipshit is everything wrong with the nba these days manifested into human form.

So tired of hearing his name.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nope. At least one year in college. He's already going to sign with UCLA.

Based on the comments Lavar made it seems like the new Chino Hills coach is trying to change up how the team plays in a way that hampers LaMelo.

If he's already got an offer then why pull him from school? Let him graduate and just pull him from the team and train him after school.

Xe4

Banned
Because if you're not spending months learning grade 11 social studies and algebra in a SoCal public school, you are clearly going to be messed up. It doesn't matter if you already have your own shoe ans brand and drive a lambo at 16 or have a guaranteed full ride to UCLA. You cannot have a father want to train his basketball playing son. It is heresey don't you know?
Uhh... are you really downplaying the importance of a good high school education?

Yeah, he can play basketball. Cool. But we're failing him as a society if we don't give him at least a high school level of education in math, science, english, and social studies. Getting coached in basketball is not and cannot be a replacement for those incredibly nessesary skills.

I have no idea what the level of education is going to be, but I hope it's on par with the school he left, course work wise.

jmizzal

That is so dumb

Has Lavar ever heard of Lenny Cooke? Cooke was only away for a year and that pretty much ended him among other things.

LeMelo has a lot of talent and needs to be playing HS basketball, along with the AAU and camps

zewone

Good.

High School is mostly a waste of time. Get a GED, go play ball in college. Make big money in the NBA or just get an education while playing in college.

Whatever happens, him leaving high school early is not important at all.

CDX

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20898447/lavar-ball-homeschooling-lamelo-no-distractions

2 minute video interview with LaVar Ball.

He... doesn't sound like he has an actual plan how to homeschool LeMelo. Good luck proving he's able to teach LeMelo.

While most homeschool parents can and do teach their kids themselves. I don't think he HAS to himself. I'm pretty sure he can just hire a tutor/actual teacher.

With the cars they drive, it certainly seems like they can afford to hire an actual teacher for a year or whatever.

Tripon

While most homeschool parents can and do teach their kids themselves. I don't think he HAS to himself. I'm pretty sure he can just hire a tutor/actual teacher.

With the cars they drive, it certainly seems like they can afford to hire an actual teacher for a year or whatever.

Yes, but that's usually set up beforehand. This whole thing seems like spur of the moment. LaVar sounds like he's mad that the new coach didn't want to run everything through him.

LaVar wanted to be the defacto coach, dude is controlling and now that somebody pushed back on that control, he did the nuclear option.

Yeah from what I seen, dude is wilding out but it isn't aimed the kids and he is always trying to do right by them. Plus their mom doesn't seem to play that shit at home.

Sports media just don't know how to handle the loud talking dude at the barbershop

This sums the situation perfectly...

Top Bottom