• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball seeks Billion Dollar shoe contract for 3 son package deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

#0 rule of basketball recruiting is not to let disdain for something that's not the basketball player in question influence your opinions of said basketball​ player.

What? That's not in the rulebook.... I'm gonna have to ask you hand over your rulebook and let me take a gander. Sounds like you got a ripoff.

But seriously, 247sports is the best IMO, they average all the recruiting sites into one, its dope. Also their crystal ball shit is great fun if you are into following where these kids are going to college.

KingV

You are right he should only ask for what he is worth, possibly less, that's negotiating 101.

$1 billion is a joke though. There are literally like two current sport endorsement deals worth anywhere near that kind of money. 1 is MJ, the other Lebron. It drops off very sharply after that.

Ask a high number but it can't be a joke number. People must be too young to remember Lebron as a rookie. He was literally the most promising prospect in like forvever. He was the next Michael Jordan. Dude was on the cover of sports illustrated as a junior in HS and they televised his high school games on pay per view. The ball brothers combined don't have 1% of the hype Lebron did.

Never mind they can't sign endorsement contracts while playing in the NCAA anyway

man it must be hell in that household, it should be a season arc on Survivors Remorse

i'd play for 2 years and quit and do something else with my life

$1 billion is a joke though. There are literally like two current sport endorsement deals worth anywhere near that kind of money. 1 is MJ, the other Lebron. It drops off very sharply after that.

Ask a high number but it can't be a joke number. People must be too young to remember Lebron as a rookie. He was literally the most promising prospect in like forvever. He was the next Michael Jordan. Dude was on the cover of sports illustrated as a junior in HS and they televised his high school games on pay per view. The ball brothers combined don't have 1% of the hype Lebron did.

Never mind they can't sign endorsement contracts while playing in the NCAA anyway

He's just hyping them up. Don't take it literally. So far, his technique has worked, as he has secured D1 college scholarships for his 3 sons, 2 of which aren't exactly 5 star prospects.

Send all those fucks to the Lakers

Lonzo has been super humble so I don't get the hate against him. He's always complementary of his teammates and when reporters have asked him about his dad, he always just replies "I just go out there and play ball man".

I'm pretty sure all of our parents were proud of us and would talk of our achievements and whatnot, even if it was in an embarrassing manner.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
People had similar reactions when Richard Williams was heralding his two daughters from Compton.

Similar hopes for their failure too.
THIS RIGHT HERE.

I hope all three sons do well and get paid.

Only the older one, Lonzo, has NBA talent. The other two younger ones aren't going anywhere.

Dad is annoying.

They are going to a prestige D1 program despite (at least in the case of the middle son) probably not being that level of prospect.

Dad is doing something right.

Loxley

Classic negotiating tactic - name an absurdly high number that you know will never fly so that when the number is inevitably whittled down, it's still way higher than you would have originally gotten away with. Still though, are all three of this guy's sons basketball prodigies? I don't follow college basketball at all.

I can appreciate this guy trying to ensure his kids aren't taken advantage of, but there are horror stories out there about young athlete's parents ruining their kids' prospects by trying to manage their careers and/or finances themselves and failing miserably.

LionPride

Banned
Classic negotiating tactic - name an absurdly high number that you know will never fly so that when the number is inevitably whittled down, it's still way higher than you would have originally gotten away with. Still though, are all three of this guy's sons basketball prodigies? I don't follow college basketball at all.

I can appreciate this guy trying to ensure his kids aren't taken advantage of, but there are horror stories out there about young athlete's parents ruining their kids' prospects by trying to manage their careers and/or finances themselves and failing miserably.

No, only one son is good.

You guys make this sound like it hasn't happened before in the NBA.. remember Shabazz Muhammad? His dad basically planned his basketball career prior to his conception..

ccbfan

Not sure the hate, he's doing what's best for his sons.

Lonzo is the golden goose, if he can leverage him for his other sons to succeed. What not?

The fact that he negotiated a scholarship for his middle son at ucla is already amazing. Also his 3rd son is not that bad. Lower end 4 star player. Not blue chip but a nice get for most programs unless your uk,ku,unc,duke (ucla is no longer that level)

rugioh

Banned
Lonzo is gonna be good. The other two won't play overseas.

Agreed, Liangelo/Lamelo get away with playing in a meme system against meme competition where they get away with overhead cherrypicking outlet passes and throwing up over 30 3 point shots a game.

DominoKid

Lavar a better daddy than 99% of his haters had (or currently are).

Dude just like to run his mouth a lot but it's totally harmless. And when you 6'6" 300+ nobody gonna tell you to be quiet anyway. You don't want that problem.

And ultimately all his talk just serves one purpose: to continually reinforce a high level of self confidence in his boys. Looks like it's working to me.

Oh and LiAngelo trash but if LaMelo get like 3" taller he'll be the best one.

Curry's a fraud, I believe Lavar 100% when it comes to Lonzo being better.

Oh boy.

Agreed, Liangelo/Lamelo get away with playing in a meme system against meme competition where they get away with overhead cherrypicking outlet passes and throwing up over 30 3 point shots a game.

I was watching clips of Lamelo's game where he dropped like 75 and he wasn't even getting back on defense. His teammates were either going for backcourt steals, allowing the other team to score uncontested, or fouling intentionally to increase the number of possessions and get him more shots/points.

Just terrible basketball that won't even translate to college.

He might be annoying but he's been instrumental to their exposure and success. Anyone that thinks he's distracting or dragging them down is insane.

LionPride

Banned
Oh boy.

I was watching clips of Lamelo's game where he dropped like 75 and he wasn't even getting back on defense. His teammates were either going for backcourt steals, allowing the other team to score uncontested, or fouling intentionally to increase the number of possessions and get him more shots/points.

Just terrible basketball that won't even translate to college.
I hate it when old heads say that current basketball isn't basketball, but that bullshit really isn't basketball.

I hate it when old heads say that current basketball isn't basketball, but that bullshit really isn't basketball.

It's a perfect system for high schoolers though, and it got a couple of kids from Chino noticed so I'd say it worked. That shit will absolutely not work in college or the pros though.

LionPride

Banned
It's a perfect system for high schoolers though, and it got a couple of kids from Chino noticed so I'd say it worked. That shit will absolutely not work in college or the pros though.
It is absolutely perfect for high school, wish my school ran that shit instead of whatever we do now just for winning purposes, but I hate it. Rude Awakening if neither son has actual talent beyond cherrypicking.

Marquis

Banned
They need to abandon their father as fast as possible. Dude is smart no doubt but he is easily going to become a distraction for them, if he isn't already.

They need to abandon their father as fast as possible. Dude is smart no doubt but he is easily going to become a distraction for them, if he isn't already.

Based on what? People keep saying this but there's nothing to suggest it. The leaps of logic some of you are taking just because the dad is vocally arrogant and (thus far) entirely harmless. You even got people earlier in this thread suggesting he's gonna steal their money.

RedAssedApe

Banned
lonzo along with tj leaf have been a godsend for ucla. totally transformed the team. legit best offense in the ncaa and exciting to watch. hope they don't go back to sucking with all the players they are losing after this season.

interested in seeing how the middle brother does. as it seems like he gets shit on the most. lavar claiming he'll be one and done too though heh maybe he'll drop outta school and become lonzo's assistant after one year lol

Bread

Banned
I think all athletes should disown their families. They're just a waste of your time that would be better spent in the gym.
Finally someone here with their head on straight. I'm not successful yet but you better believe I have taken my family out of my life just in case I become famous. Those parasites aren't stealing my hard earned money.

Dudes son is a talented college basketball player. His dad goes on social media and constantly claims how his son is the best, will only play for the lakers, can beat Steph Curry, told Charles Barkeley if he had the mentality of his son he would've won a championship, etc.

Seems like a great guy to root against when he gets in the NBA

hbkdx12

He might be annoying but he's been instrumental to their exposure and success. Anyone that thinks he's distracting or dragging them down is insane.

I had no idea who these people were until the steph curry comment started making waves in which case my response was....ok

Now him talking about this shoe deal is making the rounds and im just like, why the fuck are people giving this guy a free ticket to say outrageous shit and get free air time.

gimmmick

Lebron and Jordan earned their deals from Nike. This kid hasn't done jack shit and is expecting a billion dollars?

HeySeuss

Based on what? People keep saying this but there's nothing to suggest it. The leaps of logic some of you are taking just because the dad is vocally arrogant and (thus far) entirely harmless. You even got people earlier in this thread suggesting he's gonna steal their money.

Yep. Dad is marketing his sons and getting people to talk about them. He put them on the map, plain and simple and now they have a better shot because of his hype.

Marketing 101

Ah, the classic responses in this thread. Same old shit with every confident black man in sports, even down to the faux concern bullshit.

cwmartin

Yep. Dad is marketing his sons and getting people to talk about them. He put them on the map, plain and simple and now they have a better shot because of his hype.

Marketing 101

"Respect the hustle" right?

Fuck that, dude is writing the textbook for annoying douche 101.

How to get your children to resent you 101.

All free for anyone with standards low enough to attend Lavar Ball Community College.

Lebron and Jordan earned their deals from Nike. This kid hasn't done jack shit and is expecting a billion dollars?

LBJ earned his deal. MJ made Nike. Slight difference there.

Ah, the classic responses in this thread. Same old shit with every confident black man in sports, even down to the faux concern bullshit.

Confidence can be a good thing, especially for a professional athlete. It shouldn't extend to parents though. When you start saying with a straight face that you could beat one of the best basketball players of all time, then that's stupidity, not confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom