• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball to pull son LaMelo from Chino Hills HS and train him for the next 2 years

The high school basketball career of LaMelo Ball is over.

The 16-year-old junior at Chino Hills will be home-schooled and not play for any team, his father, LaVar Ball, said Monday in a phone call.

"I'm going to make him the best basketball player ever," LaVar said.

He intends to check him out on Tuesday.

LaMelo scored 92 points for Chino Hills in a game last season. Brother Lonzo is the Lakers' new point guard and brother LiAngelo will be a freshman at UCLA.

LaVar had already been having concerns about Chino Hills' new coach, Dennis Latimore.

"It's good for Melo," LaVar said. "Less distractions. He just needs to focus."

The next time people will be able to see LaMelo play is next spring in travel ball.

"They'll have to sit back and wait," LaVar said.

LaVar said LaMelo still intends to sign with UCLA.

The loss of LaMelo from the high school ranks will have a major impact on Southern California basketball.

Not only did Chino Hills sell out gyms with the Ball brothers but also competed for championships, going 35-0 two seasons ago.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/highs...l-lamelo-from-chino-1506983851-htmlstory.html

tenor.gif

tumblr_o63yjkpkg81t89rpeo5_540.gif

All his gimmick shit aside I'm not cool with this at all

Let the kid graduate high school dammit, home schooling definitely isn't the way

Why not leave him in school but not have him play for the team? Pretty common in other sports where the club level is higher than the school level.

Sandfox

Based on the comments Lavar made it seems like the new Chino Hills coach is trying to change up how the team plays in a way that hampers LaMelo.

Artdayne

Can you go straight to the NBA when you turn 18?

Well, home schooling introduces a scenario that I'm not familiar with. Normally, if you played in the United States, you cannot enter the draft directly out of high school. International players are able to enter the draft at 18 directly out of high school though.

What is the reasoning behind that?

Publically, it is to prevent people going to the NBA en masse directly out of high school, which is what was happening from the late 90s to the early to mid 2000s. Plenty of guys simply aren't ready to play in the NBA straight away. Granted, I also think part of it has to do with making sure the best athletes generate money for the NCAA.

Man is a grade A jackass that is exploiting his sons to become (more?) successful. There's no reason to pull his son from high school and I hope nobody tries to defend this move as him trying to "change the game".

Edit: I feel regretful for my hot take after reading more comments. Still not a big fan of him but he's definitely promoting/there for his kids. I still think that not having his son finish a real high school education is a mistake.

Boke1879

I don't know yall. The kids seem to really love their dad and he loves them. Not to mention whatever he's doing seems to be working.

Hydrus

I'm not going to question LaVar Ball. He's taken care of his kids education future, spoke his kids Laker career into existence, and most importantly he converted me into a Big Baller. I'm a believer.

Well, home schooling introduces a scenario that I'm not familiar with. Normally, if you played in the United States, you cannot enter the draft directly out of high school. International players are able to enter the draft at 18 directly out of high school though.

Nothing changes in this scenario.

MIMIC

Banned
I don't really follow the NBA (or even basketball in general) all that closely anymore, but it feels like this guy thinks his kids will be the next big things, sort of like how Richard Williams felt that his two daughters would be the next big things.

(for those who don't know who I'm talking about, Richard Williams's daughters were Venus Williams and Serena)

Richard was right (and nobody believed him). Will this guy be right, too?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why not leave him in school but not have him play for the team? Pretty common in other sports where the club level is higher than the school level.
Because he'd be wasting too much time every day sitting in a class instead of training.

Slayven

I don't know yall. The kids seem to really love their dad and he loves them. Not to mention whatever he's doing seems to be working.

Yeah from what I seen, dude is wilding out but it isn't aimed the kids and he is always trying to do right by them. Plus their mom doesn't seem to play that shit at home.

Sports media just don't know how to handle the loud talking dude at the barbershop

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well, I mean, its his son.

Hes never going to be blamed for not being a part of their sons lives, thats for sure.

Hopefully it will work out. Is this the kid that was shouting the n word on RAW?

Am I mistaken or don't a lot of kids in other sports move to home schooling/part time school when they want to give it a serious shot of going pro? (Archery, Tennis, Gymnastics, etc?)

I'm not going to question LaVar Ball. He's taken care of his kids education future, spoke his kids Laker career into existence, and most importantly he converted me into a Big Baller. I'm a believer.

His kids are one and dones. They aren't getting any formal education if that's what you mean. If we're talking the business of basketball, then sure, I guess.

Vice

Man is a grade A jackass that is exploiting his sons to become (more?) successful. There's no reason to pull his son from high school and I hope nobody tries to defend this move as him trying to "change the game".

So far he has set up the two older sons to be incredibly successful athletes by helping them get into one of the best schools for the sport and into the NBA. He has good intentions behind his actions and his sons seem to be OK/fond of the behavior. If he wasn't getting results I'd question it, but he has talked the talk and walked the walk with his older sons.

Boke1879

Like I'm not going to pretend I agree with all of his decisions, but seeing posts on here hoping his kids tell him to "fuck off"

Why? Like I said. He's done right by them and they all clearly love each other. The kids love basketball and he's clearly put them in a position to realize playing int he NBA.

styl3s

All his gimmick shit aside I'm not cool with this at all

Let the kid graduate high school dammit, home schooling definitely isn't the way
Why isn't it the way? Do you have a problem with him taking the kid out of school or do you have a problem with home schooling?

Dude Abides

Banned
New coach probably wouldn't let him jack 60 shots per game.

But high school ball doesn't really matter for top prospects anyway.

So far he has set up the two older sons to be incredibly successful athletes by helping them get into one of the best schools for the sport and into the NBA. He has good intentions behind his actions and his sons seem to be OK/fond of the behavior. If he wasn't getting results I'd question it, but he has talked the talk and walked the walk with his older sons.

Yeah I added an edit section to my comment because I think I was being pretty reactionary. I'm not a fan of him pulling his son out of school but saying he was a jerk is pretty unfair of me.

(Hopefully his son gets proper education in addition to training)

Top Bottom