• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball to pull son LaMelo from Chino Hills HS and train him for the next 2 years

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hope it works out...it probably will. Lamelo still has his UCLA eligibility so no real harm to be honest.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The only issue i have with this is being that it's almost guaranteed that the "education" that kid gets at home school is gonna be gaaaaarbage.

Like when you're dad doesn't gaf about your education as long as you can ball why the fuck would you ever care? especially when he pulls you out of school and is obviously gonna let you skate just to work on your game?

He'll drop out of college early as well to jump straight to pro ...

where he will either get hurt or burn out in a few years. His dad will likely steal his money or rip him off and he'll be a great assistant coach at some camp trying his best to warn kids away from this exact situation.

Zekes!

If his sons are happy then it's whatever

But from the outside looking in dude comes off as trying to live vicariously through his sons and the insane focus and pressure put on them doesn't seem healthy.

Because the NCAA (NBA developmental league) would be even less watchable without one n domes.

Gotta go to Europe for a year at least
Doesn't have to be Europe or a foreign league, just that happens to be the most lucrative option. Can sit on your ass for a year if you wanted.

TraBuch

Banned
Would bet both of the other kids won’t play a second in the NBA.
Liangelo doesn't have a chance. Dude sucks.

Lamelo has a chance if he can learn to play within a team, but he's not gonna learn to do that being trained by his dad for two years.

Kill3r7

Can you go straight to the NBA when you turn 18?

No.

So far he has set up the two older sons to be incredibly successful athletes by helping them get into one of the best schools for the sport and into the NBA. He has good intentions behind his actions and his sons seem to be OK/fond of the behavior. If he wasn't getting results I'd question it, but he has talked the talk and walked the walk with his older sons.

styl3s

I don't like home schooling in general, and I really don't like doing it right in the middle of high school
Do you not like it because of some factual reasons as to by it's bad? Or do you not understand home schooling? Because i got home schooled in 7th grade and turned out great. Got my GED and went to college and now i own a business and own a house.

Do you just have some preconceived notions that Public school is better?

I feel bad for the other two brothers because I've watched some of their games and they aren't anywhere near the talent Lonzo is. Gonna lose out on their childhood only to realize they're just average in college ball.

Public education system is dumb and things you learn have limited real world application.. You'd be better off getting an education from GAF.

Maddocks

taking the kid out of highschool because he doesn't trust the coach is kinda like whoa....

I see all his kids in the nba, even if its for a little while. But only 1 on the lakers. Melo going to do well as a knick.

Kill3r7

I feel bad for the other two brothers because I've watched some of their games and they aren't anywhere near the talent Lonzo is. Gonna lose out on their childhood only to realize they're just average in college ball.

They will help out with the family business worse case scenario. LaMelo is pretty good for his age and would likely be a Top150 recruit regardless of his last name. You are right that the NBA is no charity. FWIW, LaVar has admitted as much.

Do you not like it because of some factual reasons as to by it's bad? Or do you not understand home schooling? Because i got home schooled in 7th grade and turned out great. Got my GED and went to college and now i own a business and own a house.

Do you just have some preconceived notions that Public school is better?

I don't like it because he's doing it because he doesn't like the coach, not for any actual educational reason whatsoever, put down the pitchfork

People keep saying he's talking them into a free ride at college but shit like this doesn't help them prepare for it whatsoever, not for those reasons

Public education system is dumb and things you learn have limited real world application.. You'd be better off getting an education from GAF.

Oh good lord no, some of the dumbest people on Earth are on this site

They will help out with the family business worse case scenario. LaMelo is pretty good for his age and would likely be a Top150 recruit regardless of his last name. You are right that the NBA is no charity. FWIW, LaVar has admitted as much.

LaMelo was beating up on high school players, but I just can't see him doing that on the college level. I dunno we'll see this year. UCLA is my alma mater so of course I hope he does well, but I just can't see it, seeing his style of play in HS.

He's probably got a better chance than LiAngelo though. His skills definitely won't play.

hyp

The only issue i have with this is being that it's almost guaranteed that the "education" that kid gets at home school is gonna be gaaaaarbage.

public school is garbage too.

itt: people that don't know shit about homeschool and its benefits.

"The cashier at the grocery store smiled at me. Is this normal? I think she's in love with me. Also how often do I have to pay my electric bill?"

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm baffled that the ball kids seem so humble and well adjusted. Their dad is a maniac.

Madness

All his gimmick shit aside I'm not cool with this at all

Let the kid graduate high school dammit, home schooling definitely isn't the way

He can get his GED or pass home school equivalency diploma. You think he was even going to classes? The kid is driving a Lambo at 16. They Ballin' now.

Wy4tlc5.jpg

He is already guaranteed UCLA. What would 2 years of Chino Hills high school teach him or prepare him for? He can probably wake up late now. Have the best weight trainers and conditioners in the country. Pass his home school equivalency or GED and go to UCLA and ball.

Kill3r7

LaMelo was beating up on high school players, but I just can't see him doing that on the college level. I dunno we'll see this year. UCLA is my alma mater so of course I hope he does well, but I just can't see it, seeing his style of play in HS.

He's probably got a better chance than LiAngelo though. His skills definitely won't play.

Are you thinking of LiAngelo? LaMelo is a junior if I am not mistaken and still has a couple of years before he makes to UCLA or some other college.

Are you thinking of LiAngelo? LaMelo is a junior if I am not mistaken and still has a couple of years before he makes to UCLA or some other college.

My bad I meant in two years not this year.

I think LaMelo could be like a worse Lonzo Ball, unless he develops a lot more and his body fills out more. But that's me being pretty optimistic I think.

LiAngelo on the other hand seems slow and undersized and I just can't see him succeeding at the college level. Maybe if he was a bit bigger (taller not even heavier) he could be more like a Carmelo Anthony type player.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
i see nothing wrong with this at all. More people should let their kids consider and actualize non-system careers and goals. I wish we all could.

Madness

I think LaMelo should graduate from high school.

Why? What will it teach him about UCLA? What will it teach him about basketball and playing in the NBA. LaMelo can take two tests and go to UCLA and have a high school euivalency diploma.

Pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) which any moron can and then take California High School Exit Examination (CHSEE) and go to UCLA and play ball. The family is millionaires now and LaMelo guaranteed UCLA, quite possibly NBA if his dad gets him the right trainers and conditioners now and they got Lonzo laker connections.

i see nothing wrong with this at all. More people should let their kids consider and actualize non-system careers and goals. I wish we all could.

Does LaMelo even play defense? Every time I see a clip of him he's doing legendary levels of cherry picking.

If you thought the defense was bad in those Chino Hills tapes, AAU will be make you cry tears of blood.

Dude is gonna be Kyrie-bad at defense if he's lucky.

Kill3r7

If you thought the defense was bad in those Chino Hills tapes, AAU will be make you cry tears of blood.

Dude is gonna be Kyrie-bad at defense if he's lucky.

And that has impacted Kyrie's paycheck how?

My bad I meant in two years not this year.

I think LaMelo could be like a worse Lonzo Ball, unless he develops a lot more and his body fills out more. But that's me being pretty optimistic I think.

LiAngelo on the other hand seems slow and undersized and I just can't see him succeeding at the college level. Maybe if he was a bit bigger (taller not even heavier) he could be more like a Carmelo Anthony type player.

Melo was a much better prospect than any of the Ball kids.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
These kids are going to be so fucked up. Only a matter of time.

I don't know, outside of the antics, they seems to have a great family foundation. He's two for two on his kids living a life that most can't comprehend and both Zo and Gelo seems to be as normal as can be with all of the media attention and other distractions. Melo is only 16 but he's got a full ride at UCLA too. If that is considered problematic, most people will take that for their family.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I personally find LiAngelo the most interesting since everyone shits on him as a player. I want to root for him as an underdog. Also...he plays at my alma mater. haha

Top Bottom