• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LaVar Ball seeks Billion Dollar shoe contract for 3 son package deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No link rn, but anytime Lonzo is asked all he says is he wants to play ball and nothing else. He doesn't care where he goes. He's humble.

He's doing what every player does when asked about something not basketball related.

That is very different from him "having to put up with bullshit".

LionPride

Banned
He's doing what every player does when asked about something not basketball related.

That is very different from him "having to put up with bullshit".
Some players would be dumb as hell reacting to all of this. We know this. Not everybody gonna say all they wanna do is ball. Some are assholes

jwhit28

No you don't. Kids get massive shoe deals before playing a minute of pro ball these days and have been for the last 10-15 years. The entire thing, from AAU to NCAA to agents/lawyers to the NBA exist to start making money off these guys from the time they are 13. Heaven forbid some of them start trying to make some money for themselves.

I don't have any problems with him being his son's biggest salesman, talking about what he thinks he can do against Jordan, hoping his kids are Lakers or even wanting to be in the business deals, but why talk money publicly? That's creating problems for his sons. Lonzo will spend every interview he does talking about his dad's influence and if he will be toxic to a lockeroom running to the media talking about playing time or roster moves, the younger Balls are gonna be in the crosshairs of the NCAA's digging, waiting for either them or the dad to take some money. It's just not a smart move.

Never thought i'd agree with Charles Barkley but this man gotta leave his sons alone!!!! Stop hyping you kid like he the next MJ/LJ/SC!!! And no one gives a shit about your other 2 sons

569596.jpg

Like DaDa! These things came in infinite colors.

Woooooooooo I forgot all about DaDa. Time to retro these bad boys.

Deepwater

I don't have any problems with him being his son's biggest salesman, talking about what he thinks he can do against Jordan, hoping his kids are Lakers or even wanting to be in the business deals, but why talk money publicly? That's creating problems for his sons. Lonzo will spend every interview he does talking about his dad's influence and if he will be toxic to lockeroom running to the media talking about playing time or roster moves, the younger Balls are gonna be in the crosshairs of the NCAA's digging, waiting for either them or the dad to take some money. It's just not a smart move.

LaVar has played in the NCAA, he knows very well what you can and can't get away with. He's brash, but it's a reach to call him stupid.

jwhit28

LaVar has played in the NCAA, he knows very well what you can and can't get away with. He's brash, but it's a reach to call him stupid.

I'm sure he knows what he is doing and I'd be shocked if they ever get caught actually doing anything, but it's still creating that pressure especially for the younger 2. Not only do they got to live up to the hype their brother's play and father's mouth created by they have to do it while under the media microscope while they are 16/17. They have handled it well so far.

Apathy

So this is what pimping your kids looks like. Seems like anther no skill parent that wants fame through their kids. Stories like this always end with the kids realizing the parent is an asshole and breaking away

A billion?

post-28939-Morgan-Freeman-Lucius-Fox-Good-kvB7.gif

The only one that might have a shot is Lonzo and from all the analysts I've heard I'm not sure anyone is fully convinced his game will transfer over well.

The only sure thing though is that their clothing line looks dumb af.

So this is what pimping your kids looks like. Seems like anther no skill parent that wants fame through their kids. Stories like this always end with the kids realizing the parent is an asshole and breaking away

Would be much more acceptable if it were John Calipari or Coach K who were doing the pimping, right?

Madness

This guy does his kids a disservice. They are going to be clowned on so much in the NBA. And you don't fuck with the GOAT MJ. He is one of the most powerful men in sports and the NBA altogether. He is also super petty and all it would take is a phone call from him to pretty much end their Nike dreams.

It is one thing playing high school or even college ball. Another making it in the NBA.

Melo dropped 90pts in a game this year and pops half court jumpers that make Curry 3's look like Shaq at the line but "nobody cares about his other sons."

Come on now.

Papa Ball is abrasive with his talk. Sure. But the kids are skilled. We'll have to wait and see how their careers pan out like with everybody else but there's no need to act like the kids, as they are right now, aren't extremely talented prospects.

He's not ruining anything. The oldest son is about to be a top 3 pick in the draft after turning around a dormant college powerhouse, and the other two sons have D1 UCLA basketball scholarships in their back pockets, and he was pretty instrumental in putting them in those positions. What the fuck is being ruined?

Well to be fair, if he plays like he did against Arizona, the team who picks him in the top three deserves to stay in the bottom of the league. He's a good player, but if he's in your top three then either the draft will be super weak or someone will be disappointed in a couple of years.

Madness

Melo dropped 90pts in a game this year and pops half court jumpers that make Curry 3's look like Shaq at the line but "nobody cares about his other sons."

Come on now.

Papa Ball is abrasive with his talk. Sure. But the kids are skilled. We'll have to wait and see how their careers pan out like with everybody else but there's no need to act like the kids, as they are right now, aren't extremely talented prospects.

It was a high school game against a much worse team and he took all the shots except one in each quarter, almost 62 shots total. You acting like he put up 92 against the Cavs. There is no doubt his kids have skill, but then again a lot of people in college have skill, and even more so in the NBA.

Come on now.

As far as I know, LaMelo isn't close to as highly regarded of a prospect as Lonzo right now. Half court jumpers and 92 point games are fun YouTube clips but people seem to care that he was cherry picking and not playing defense at all. Also, his jumpshot form makes me want to die.

It was a high school game against a much worse team and he took all the shots except one in each quarter, almost 62 shots total. You acting like he put up 92 against the Cavs. There is no doubt his kids have skill, but then again a lot of people in college have skill, and even more so in the NBA.

How many other 15 year old HS sophomores are well known names? The middle son is like, at best, a 3 star recruit and he's got a full ride to UCLA. Lonzo is a NCAA player of the year candidate, his team was in the top 10 almost all year long, and is about to be a top 3 draft pick. He got his kids national recognition despite the fact that they play/live in fucking Chino. How exactly is he doing these kids a dissservce? I've yet to see anyone explain that w/o using hypotheticals about him potentially being a distraction, or Michael Jordan holding a grudge against them, or stealing their money, or ruining their careers.

scoobs

The best part of this is 2 of his sons are never going to contribute to an NBA team. This guy is either a genius for marketing his sons so well, or a total moron.

LionPride

Banned
As far as I know, LaMelo isn't close to as highly regarded of a prospect as Lonzo right now. Half court jumpers and 92 point games are fun YouTube clips but people seem to care that he was cherry picking and not playing defense at all. Also, his jumpshot form makes me want to die.
Besides that 92 point game, I remember seeing a clip on Insta of LaMelo getting them ankles snatched.

Brought me great pleasure

Rocwell

Gimme a billion dollars or I'm going to run you sports apparel giants out of business with my upstart brand. Just wait until I get that logo copyright and all 3 of my kids end up getting MVP at the same time you'll all be sorry.

These kids better figure out their own deals because if they sign with their dad he's going to bleed them dry trying to fund his shitty sportswear empire.

I act like he put up 92 pts as a 15 year old Sophmore against a Varsity team. To pretend that scouts wouldn't be all over him if he hadn't committed to UCLA already is playing ignorant.

You can't compare them directly as prospects because Melo has yet to play college ball. Even Lonzo needs to develop his game more for the style of play in the NBA.

The point I'm making is that it's ridiculous to let your feelings about their father and the way he talks about them make you blind to the fact that at their respective levels of play, the kids are way above average.

If you were to judge everyone like that then there would be NO prospects because nobody should be anticipated to perform well when they hit the next level of play.

I have no issues with the ball brothers, but their dad is annoying as fuck. Like damn. Let your kids do their own thing. It's fine to be supportive, but don't let your own ego detract from their talent.

harSon

Banned

He's ranked 16th for his recruiting class right now, and has a ton of upside with two years left to go before college. Y'all are acting like the dude is a scrub, or that it's easy to scam your way into scholarships at D1 colleges.

He's ranked 16th for his recruiting class right now, and has a ton of upside with two years left to go before college. Y'all are acting like the dude is a scrub, or that it's easy to scam your way into scholarships at D1 colleges.

Just repeating what I read in some article when that 92 point video came out.

scoobs

16th in his class? LaMelo? Nah.

19th best at his position, yes. 98th best player in the class cumulative across all recruiting sites.

Its got to be really hard to scout him, as he doesn't play defense or really any real basketball at all. You just kind of have to grade his shooting ability and handles I guess. He's also short, 6'1" and 150 pounds... he needs to hit a growth spurt and maybe we'll have something here.

harSon

Banned
16th in his class? LaMelo? Nah.

19th best at his position, yes. 98th best player in the class cumulative across all recruiting sites.

Its got to be really hard to scout him, as he doesn't play defense or really any real basketball at all. You just kind of have to grade his shooting ability and handles I guess. He's also short, 6'1" and 150 pounds... he needs to hit a growth spurt and maybe we'll have something here.

I was going off of ESPN. He's a sophomore​ and he's playing PG. Even if he had to be tall at his position, which he doesn't, he still has two years of growth ahead of him before college. And that's exactly how you're supposed to assess Highschool players. If you didn't, how would you grade kids like Zion Williamson who play against incredibly weak competition, even as far as High School is concerned?

scoobs

I was going off of ESPN. He's a sophomore​ and he's playing PG. Even if he had to be tall at his position, which he doesn't, he still has two years of growth ahead of him before college. And that's exactly how you're supposed to assess Highschool players. If you didn't, how would you grade kids like Zion Williamson who play against incredibly weak competition, even as far as High School is concerned?

#1 rule of basketball recruiting world is do not go off ESPN under any circumstance.

harSon

Banned
#1 rule of basketball recruiting world is do not go off ESPN under any circumstance.

#0 rule of basketball recruiting is not to let disdain for something that's not the basketball player in question influence your opinions of said basketball​ player.

LionPride

Banned
Zion just seems to be able to jump out the fucking gym...nothing else

harSon

Banned
Zion just seems to be able to jump out the fucking gym...nothing else

He's a grown ass man amongst boys. He doesn't play talented enough competition to force his game beyond that.

But if you've actually followed him, and not just watched dunking compilations, you'll see that his handles and jumper have improved considerably. And he has height, size, athleticism and speed that'll translate to the next two levels.

LionPride

Banned
He's a grown ass man amongst boys. He doesn't play talented enough talent to force his game beyond that.

But if you've actually followed him, and not just watched dunking compilations, you'll see that his handles and jumper have improved considerably. And he has height, size, athleticism and speed that'll translate to the next two levels.
I hope, I want him to be more than just a dunking king. I kinda don't wanna follow sport prospects rn because I'm on my way to college and when the first one and done dude comes out who was born in 99...I'm gonna cry

I respect his hustle. As it's been pointed out so vividly but people choose to ignore, the guys putting in marketing work for all his kids. Even if the other 2 are busts, they already have full rides to college.

Don't forget young athletes get exploited all the time, this guys just making the inevitable work for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom