• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '17 |OT| It's Madden Season

So fumbles are pretty interesting this year...

https://youtu.be/rrJ9IvCbJaE

Classic ha. Tried it on EA Access, just can't do it this year. Game is boring and so unrealistic to me. Pylon Cam is just a stupid addition. And to show it on every touchdown is just a wonky decision by EA. The moment I knew I was fed up with Madden this year was when I was playing D-line. Ball snapped, I'm about to engage the left guard, oh wait...., my DT is sliding lateral 3 yards to go and engage the right guard and tackle in a double team block. He must have looked at the left guard and said NOPE, I need a challenge, let me ghost slide to the right.

Ive only played 5 games so far. 4 against CPU and one local against a friend and am finding a lot of issues so far that are turning me off a bit.

Some of the new features arent really what they have been cracked up to be so far. Only the running game improvements and commentary/presentation stuff has delivered.

Im gonna play more and see what the slider gurus have come up with so far before I dismiss this outright, but at this point its a bit of a disappointment coming from M16

klov

Neo Member
Feels off compared to 16. Can't quite pinpoint what it is though.

Running game improvements seem minimal, fumbles and picks need to be slider'd early or they appear too frequently, and the new kick/punt meter is a regression (but perhaps more realistic as I have actually missed FGs for the first time).

Commentary is improved, no doubt.

Don't see this replacing 16 for me.

Feels off compared to 16. Can't quite pinpoint what it is though.

Running game improvements seem minimal, fumbles and picks need to be slider'd early or they appear too frequently, and the new kick/punt meter is a regression (but perhaps more realistic as I have actually missed FGs for the first time).

Commentary is improved, no doubt.

Don't see this replacing 16 for me.
Played about a season's worth of games and I don't find this to be the case. I caught way more ints in a season in 16 than 17 with roughly the same level of talent. Fumbles are increased but it seems the carry rating matters more this year.

How do I get good at this damn game? I always get crushed when I play my friends.

Do the Training/Tutorials, all of them. The gameplay ones are less important than the pre-play adjustments, which are one of the most important aspects of Madden.

Consider what plays your friends are running and how they prefer to attack you, and focus on shutting down their primary method of attack. For instance, A few of my friends really target tight ends on streak routes. In the past, bumping tight ends at the line with a manually controlled d-lineman, and then setting your LB to cover a mid-zone really threw them out of whack, forced them to go to a secondary target, or forced them to take more time in the pocket and give up a sack.

WHile your friend may not be targeting the TE like my friend was (it was his crutch), he's probably got a crutch he falls back on ... drag routes, out routes, 4 verts, etc. Try to figure out what that crutch is... The play and player he likes to go to, and then scheme against that player. Only a veteran player who has thought a lot about the game will have 2nd and 3rd options on most plays.

mike6467

So...how do you pump fake? I wasted two series just trying to do that, and everything I've tried has resulted in not a pump fake. They're in the game...right?

jmizzal

What is the glitch?

On defense right after you pick a play, and you view the formation if you see the WRs and RBs names, it means they called a passing play, if you dont it means its a running play. Even if they call an audible you can see if they changed to a run or pass with the names.

Its game breaking glitch if a person knows about it and the other person doesnt.

I have played people online, and you can tell the people who knows about it and who does not

Do the Training/Tutorials, all of them. The gameplay ones are less important than the pre-play adjustments, which are one of the most important aspects of Madden.

Consider what plays your friends are running and how they prefer to attack you, and focus on shutting down their primary method of attack. For instance, A few of my friends really target tight ends on streak routes. In the past, bumping tight ends at the line with a manually controlled d-lineman, and then setting your LB to cover a mid-zone really threw them out of whack, forced them to go to a secondary target, or forced them to take more time in the pocket and give up a sack.

WHile your friend may not be targeting the TE like my friend was (it was his crutch), he's probably got a crutch he falls back on ... drag routes, out routes, 4 verts, etc. Try to figure out what that crutch is... The play and player he likes to go to, and then scheme against that player. Only a veteran player who has thought a lot about the game will have 2nd and 3rd options on most plays.
We all know user control will shit on all of that though lol

jmizzal

So the game just gave me a loss in a ranked online match, I was winning 7-0 and driving for another score in the first Qt.

It said I lost connection to my opponent but I was still online on my xbox and on my wifi, thats just BS, this happened to me a few times on Madden 16 too.

On defense right after you pick a play, and you view the formation if you see the WRs and RBs names, it means they called a passing play, if you dont it means its a running play. Even if they call an audible you can see if they changed to a run or pass with the names.

Its game breaking glitch if a person knows about it and the other person doesnt.

I have played people online, and you can tell the people who knows about it and who does not

Wow...

Have not played Madden since 12/13, might get into this one.... or I might take the cheap way out and just buy Madden 16 on the cheap to get my NFL fix.

One thing that still annoys me is why upgrade the running when the blockers get in your way and either shutdown all of your momentum or literally trip you...

Started my single player franchise and beat Arizona with New England by 5, but it was a good back and forth game... Was only 13 - 7 at the half (me), and then Arizona went up by 9 on me, but I managed to finally get a stop and a couple late scores to win 33 - 28.

I'm really liking the gameplay thus far. It's much more challenging because those wide open plays last year, like tight end post routes, fast slot WR drags, and TE out routes are not money anymore. Safeties jump those TE out routes and do a good job of breaking up the pass.

I'm playing on All-Pro, default sliders, with gameplay speed set to "Slow," 12min quarters w/ Accel clock down to 18 seconds.

Really enjoying both run offense and run defense. David Johnson gained 100+ on me, though a major chunk was 50 yard gain that he played my blitz perfectly on. Otherwise I'm loving how Cover 3 is effective against outside runs, and playing as the LB on cover 2 allows you to effectively fill gaps on inside runs. I ended up just getting 100 yards with Blount on the final drive (down at the goal line killing time I got a ~15 yard run). Running just feels really well balanced, where you have to work for yardage, look for holes, follow your blockers, and there don't seem to be money plays where your blockers just push back the whole defensive front like last year (on say shotgun zone runs).

I also like how CPU plays effective zone coverage, and seemingly bluffs coverage. Those wide open stick routes from 2015 and 2016 aren't 8 yard gimmies anymore. LBs shade tight ends and then come up on the ball to bat it or make an interception.

CPU playcalling was pretty good. They actually killed clock with more than 2 minutes left. They had the ball up by 2 with about 4 minutes left and ran run plays and used the full clock before snapping, which was a breath of fresh air.

There are definitely more fumbles but I don't think it's problematic yet. QB's fumble a lot, especially when scrambling, and especially for non-scrambling QBs. Adding to the difficulty with this is that the QB slide button is now LT+RT+X (X1), which goes both ways. It's frustrating to have it be more difficult to QB slide and I accidentally dive more often than not (which is nearly a guaranteed fumble w/ the a QB), but this also makes me less hesitant to take off and run and instead accept an incomplete pass.

I also finally decided to set my Sammy plasma to "Game Mode" which has really helped with the QTE "tackle battles" that have come up. I missed every single one of them in every game I played, and then changed the settings on my TV and I'm getting them much more often.

The new features in franchise mode are neat like the scouting and practice having an actual affect on the game, but I doubt I'll use them much unless killing time in a multiplayer franchise. It just takes too long to load into the practice mode for me to want to do a handful of drills to give me a small on-field boost. I still like that they're there but I can't see myself using them in single player franchise much at all.

I haven't played quite enough games, but overall, the game is a solid improvement over last year which already had a strong foundation.

Did run into a really annoying penalty that I hope won't be seen often, but I busted a 51-yard TD run with Blount in the third play from scrimmage, right up the gut, and when I trucked the safety, Gronk was following behind me and ran over the defenders prone body and they stuck Gronk for an illegal block in the back. It negated a run that I'll likely never have again with Blount and it was weak. Hope that doesn't happen too often. It's also still very easy to trigger a holding penalty on kick offs as the return man by calling return center, running up the middle, cutting to the outside and using a juke. It generates a holding penalty ~50% of the time it seems.

Have not played Madden since 12/13, might get into this one.... or I might take the cheap way out and just buy Madden 16 on the cheap to get my NFL fix.

If you're on X1, Madden 16 is free with EA Access. EA Access is $5/mo or $30/year, so you might be able to get your MAdden fix for a month for a few bucks.

One thing that still annoys me is why upgrade the running when the blockers get in your way and either shutdown all of your momentum or literally trip you...

Well... that's probably on you if you're running into your blockers backs. If you run into the back of your blockers the game does a decent job of doing an animation of the player putting his arm on your blocker's back. You can try to hold R1/RB when approaching the line which is "Get skinny" which will help slip through some holes, and also it covers up the ball when being tackled as a bonus.

WadeitOut

Classic ha. Tried it on EA Access, just can't do it this year. Game is boring and so unrealistic to me. Pylon Cam is just a stupid addition. And to show it on every touchdown is just a wonky decision by EA.

This is an NFL thing now. That's why they put it in EA. It's not an EA invention.

Related to my post about the clock in SuperSim / Play the Moments, these rushing stats were produced in my game against the Bills:

IE2hwgg.png

McCoy had nearly 50 carries.
I'm unsure if this is do limitations with stamina in SuperSim, realistic clock management, a mix of the two.

Played a game online last night and my opponent changed his defense each and every time I lined up, almost like he magically knew when I'd run or pass at the last moment.

Please fix this "bug" EA.

http://deadspin.com/madden-17-glitch-season-is-officially-upon-us-1785886958
Has anyone here had these glitches. How can this game be so broken

Holy crap on the kick off return one, hahahaha.

I haven't seen those, but I don't think rare glitches are n indication the game is broken, those must be pretty rare, else they'd happen on every kick off.

The biggest game-affecting glitch right now is the run/pass one with the coaches cam.

One that seems repeatable is the fake field goal extra point, where you run with the kicker, and they call you out of bounds. It's repeatable but rare and easy to avoid... Plus if you're going to go for 2, the least affective way (IMO) is doing a fake FG run when you have to run from the 15 yard line instead of the 2.

jwhit28

I'm conflicted. Some years you can say well the Head 2 head play is MvC tiers of either you can stop it or you can't but the sim numbers make sense so at least Franchise is fun. Some years the sim numbers are garbage with 2500 yard rushers but at least the online matches are close enough to stay interesting. This year the head 2 head seems like garbage and sim stats don't make sense. I'm gonna wait for a regular season patch before I try to sell it to some poor fellow, but I'm not optimistic.

Jagsrock

Banned
Just got the game. I've yet to really do much outside of skills trainer but if there's one thing I can pull away so far is running feels good.

Update:
Played some exhibition games. Really digging the presentation. The commentary is really a step up this year and I'm excited for the weekly updates. Having a lot of fun with this year's edition. It still has that Madden feel deep down but I feel like this is truly the best iteration of the game so far. It finally feels like sunday.

For kicking, ensure that your TV is set to "Game Mode" or some equivalent there of. I was having a lot of trouble kicking online (lost my first MUT game on a missed extra point and missed ~25 yard field goal), and hen also missed some kicks in regular offline games. I changed my TV to Game Mode and haven't missed a kick since.

I can't believe they launched this game with a game breaking bug for anybody who plays mostly online.

I LOVE this game and the gameplay. But man, this run/pass glitch is ridiculous. How does a huge studio release the biggest annual sports franchise with a bug like this? It just seems so incredibly lazy. I can't think of how else this gets past them.

And why is it taking so long to fix? Can it really be that complicated?

I can't believe they launched this game with a game breaking bug for anybody who plays mostly online.

I LOVE this game and the gameplay. But man, this run/pass glitch is ridiculous. How does a huge studio release the biggest annual sports franchise with a bug like this? It just seems so incredibly lazy. I can't think of how else this gets past them.

And why is it taking so long to fix? Can it really be that complicated?

I'm pretty upset about it too. All I do with Madden is play games online, so I'm just going to stop playing the game until it gets fixed. I'm surprised the hardcore MUT players aren't revolting by now, but maybe they just don't post on GAF.

jmizzal

I'm pretty upset about it too. All I do with Madden is play games online, so I'm just going to stop playing the game until it gets fixed. I'm surprised the hardcore MUT players aren't revolting by now, but maybe they just don't post on GAF.

I would hope EA is getting blasted on twitter for it but I dont know, I wish a big game website would call EA out on this, something like this should have been fixed at launch, it was known about since the 5 day EA access early play time

I've done most of the skill trainer but i'm struggling changing the audible from a pass to a run. Got a lot of fumbles by spamming the square button any time i make a tackle. Enjoying it so far though, my second ever game of madden after getting 16 last year and playing that for a while.

The one formation that seems to work for me online everytime is cover 3 cloud buzz.

What the deal with kicking. I hit x to start, again for power and then again for accuracy. But sometimes with the accuracy I'm stopping the line in the correct place but then a se one line appears to show it short and the kick falls short.

I don't know if I've explained this sell but hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Kumquat

What the deal with kicking. I hit x to start, again for power and then again for accuracy. But sometimes with the accuracy I'm stopping the line in the correct place but then a se one line appears to show it short and the kick falls short.

I don't know if I've explained this sell but hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Kicking always seemed a bit janky to me.

Is man defense viable now? It was easily killed with crossing routes in last years game.

It's much more viable this year especially against drags and crossing routes. Excellent WR's with good release will still get a step on CBs with slow release, but it's not as inbalanced.

But man will eventually break down if you don't get pressure.

krpiper

I played on Pro last year and trying All-Pro this year and I just keep getting stuffed on the run (Vikings) and too many dropped balls when I pass but maybe I'm not reading the progression right, I dunno. Frustrating right now

GravyButt

For anyone that plays mut, how are you feeling about chemistry? Still debating if it's worth doing or not or putting in slightly better players and forgetting the chem?

I have 4-3 tier 2 and vert tier 1 (2 away from tier 2) and power run tier 1 (1 away from tier 2) and honestly im not really noticing anything different than when I just selected my best team overall. Maybe its just in my head?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Ugh torn between this and Deus Ex. I haven't played Madden in a couple of years, I think 15 was my last and before that it had been ages. If I didn't love 15 is this enough of an upgrade to come back?

Corsick

Ugh torn between this and Deus Ex. I haven't played Madden in a couple of years, I think 15 was my last and before that it had been ages. If I didn't love 15 is this enough of an upgrade to come back?

This is a question I've been asking myself as well. I mostly play the offline franchise mode and the career mode. How improved are both of those? I really love the scouting/drafting/developing aspect of franchise mode more than anything. The biggest gripe I had was the menu being slow, sim stats being really wonky and career mode feeling kind of empty.

Top Bottom