• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: '2017 won't be Halo FPS/Gears led'

SOR5

But Racer I want to be right.

No, I am right.

tumblr_inline_mjrtbmoZ8m1qz4rgp.gif

Guess where I am on the Kubler-Ross model btw

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't think Xbox is going to spend much time or money marketing a remaster of Phantom Dust, nor do I think it's going to sell like hot cakes.

I disagree. With proper incentives, marketing and visibility it can be a hot item.

It doesn't make much sense why they would not put atleast some marketing into it, they took the time to bring it back. Nobody goes through that trouble just to sit on their hands. Its a complete waste of money and effort.

barit

Sounds desperate. All hopes on Sea of Thieves? Poor Rare. It has been so long since they are allowed to make something non-Kinect and now the pressure is real. But it's just a Phil tweet. He would promise world peace over Twitter if it helps to sell some Xbones.

Chobel

what's funny

It's remaster of an old game, a game that didn't sell well to begin with. And the "remaster" work is really minimal when it comes to graphics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8_XXTe66_U

So we're sticking with the original graphics for the game. Party because the animations are so crucial to gameplay and to upres the graphics means opening old animation files and everything else; so the original resolution and the framerate is exactly what you're going to experience. You know it is a little bit of a wayback-machine kind of experience but the gameplay is so incredible that is what we're focused on bringing back.

Playground Games have talked about forming a second AAA team to create action games. What are the chances Microsoft are funding that project?

I doubt they'll have any 3rd party timed exclusives. After Tomb Raider, I don't think that shit is viable anymore. Not for 3rd parties or for Microsoft. I think you'll definitely see marketing deals though. Don't be surprised if that Assassin's Creed reboot shows up on their stage with a shiny demo running on Scorpio.

SOR5

Sounds desperate. All hopes on Sea of Thieves? Poor Rare. It has been so long since they are allowed to make something non-Kinect and now the pressure is real. But it's just a Phil tweet. He would promise world peace over Twitter if it helps to sell some Xbones.

And alas thats all it really is.

But to assume theres absolutely nothing new whatsoever coming up and its going to be just Sea of Thieves left on its own is pretty unfounded at this point

watdaeff4

I mean but, basic logic and perception of grammar means thats the only thing he could mean.

If Ueda said TLG had a start-stop-start then I wouldnt assume the restart was the Shadow of the Colossus HD collection.

But they did announce a new Phantom Dust game at E3 2014, he's saying there it started again

Massively understandable

You're reaching. In your same link Phil says Rare Replay is a remake.

And the analogy of TLG to SotC is not a good one.

robotrock

Banned
I disagree. With proper incentives, marketing and visibility it can be a hot item.

It doesn't make much sense why they would not put atleast some marketing into it, they took the time to bring it back. Nobody goes through that trouble just to sit on their hands. Its a complete waste of money and effort.
The marketing it would cost to make this a hot item is probably going to cost more than It took to develop the product. Not happening.

Rembrandt

Banned
Playground Games have talked about forming a second AAA team to create action games. What are the chances Microsoft are funding that project?

95%

And I really doubt they're gonna push phantom dust that much. Probably hope it delivers enough to spread by word of mouth.

SOR5

You're reaching. In your same link Phil says Rare Replay is a remake.

And the analogy of TLG to SotC is not a good one.

That twitter conversation is missing tweets from the person he's replying to, its not a consecutive chain

But yeah that analogy was pretty shit, hands up for that one

watdaeff4

That twitter conversation is missing tweets from the person he's replying to, its not a consecutive chain

But yeah that analogy was pretty shit

He still says Rare Reply is a remake. Read it.

Also my initial response to your link is the valid one

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Isn't FPhantom Dust japanese? AutoBomba if so.

That would normally be true, but its on Xbox, is first party, and can be marketed directly to the userbase in question with no fluff necessary.

Crackdown 3 with halo 6 beta access, it's happening. I hope the beta would be in November or December

That would be an excellent role reversal, but didn't Halo 5 just come out? It seems a bit too early for that.

^ These two responses were written before i heard the below post

It's remaster of an old game, a game that didn't sell well to begin with. And the "remaster" work is really minimal when it comes to graphics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8_XXTe66_U

...what the fuck.

They aren't even flipping redoing any of the UI or upping the res or anything? Why not???

The reasoning doesnt even hold from what he says there, do you know if he's commented at all on changing his mind?

SOR5

He still says Rare Reply is a remake. Read it.

Also my initial response to your link is the valid one

I dunno, its just that ive seen a bunch of "were still committed to Phantom Dust" stuff compared to Fable Legends and B.C. and the like

As opposed to all the other things that got unfortunately gunned down, they seem weirdly enamored with this one (like me!)

Chobel

That... That would be stupid. What else would you remaster but the graphics?

Network stuff mostly
New Features for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC:
• Xbox Live Arena support integrated
• Play on Windows 10 PC or Xbox One seamlessly with cross-saves, retaining all of your progress and in-game items between both platforms.
• Cross-device play lets you play against friends regardless of platform.
• Full Xbox Live feature set of the original game, including downloading top player’s arsenals to practice against them – a feature not available since the original’s release!
• Looking for Group on Xbox Live so you can find and connect with other gamers more easily than ever.
• Multiplayer starter arsenals are included. Jump right into multiplayer with a better selection of skills!
• The Multiplayer skill shop is no longer tied to solo player progression. All skills are available for purchase immediately for multiplayer use.
• Improvements to game balance and frame rate

robotrock

Banned
That Polygon interview isn't footage from the remaster, is it?

I expect it to look the same but output at a higher res and 16:9. The same amount of work that went into the Grabbed by the Ghoulies remaster in Rare Replay.

major marketing pushes behind Crackdown/Sea of Thieves and Forza in addition to 100% guaranteed critical acclaim games like cuphead, state of decay 2 and Phantom Dust shows MS can have a capable year if they market them properly

This software will be supplemented by all being run in 4K through Scorpio

No such thing.

Proelite

People should temper their expectations for 2017 games.

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Halo Wars 2
Forza 7
State of Decay
A few surprise AA games at E3

is a decent line-up for any year. It's only disappointing because we've known about majority of them a long time before hand.

AmyS

I'll be in for a Scorpio + Forza 7 + Crackdown 3.

Wanna see what the new game is though. E3 should be fun.

robotrock

Banned
Hell yes. But would From a Software do it?
I imagine they're getting plenty work from Sony and Namco, also wouldn't be shocked if Japanese developers feel extra cautious right now about signing on with Microsoft after Scalebound.

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Halo Wars 2
Forza 6
State of Decay

is a decent line-up for any year. It's only disappointing because we've known about majority of them a long time before hand.

Duder Forza 6 came out in 2015.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I dunno, its just that ive seen a bunch of "were still committed to Phantom Dust" stuff compared to Fable Legends and B.C. and the like

As opposed to all the other things that got unfortunately gunned down, they seem weirdly enamored with this one (like me!)
They are committed to it still because they are releasing an HD version.

So no Halo/Gears for Scorpio, he means?

Crackdown is going to be their Scorpio showcase.

Um.... Did I miss a big news beat? I thought Scorpio wasn't getting exclusives, same as the Pro? Why are so many people expressing disappointment about the lack of Halo "for" Scorpio? Surely any Halo that runs on Xbox One will also run on Scorpio, and vice versa? No doubt they'll patch Halo 5 and maybe even the MCC to run at 4k from day one of Scorpio, so why are people specifically upset about the lack of a new Halo for Scorpio, rather than the lack of a new Halo full stop?

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Halo Wars 2
Forza 6
State of Decay

Yeah, they still have enough games announced to have a good 2017. It's 2018 that people should worry about in my opinion. From the looks of it, there won't be anymore 2014-2015 announcements to coast off of, so if they don't announce anything for 2018 this year at E3, then it's going to look pretty barren in the first half of that year.

Makes sense. Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, and Forza 7 will very likely be the lineup for 2017. Gears 4 just released and Halo 6 is likely due for 2018.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Um.... Did I miss a big news beat? I thought Scorpio wasn't getting exclusives, same as the Pro? Why are so many people expressing disappointment about the lack of Halo "for" Scorpio? Surely any Halo that runs on Xbox One will also run on Scorpio, and vice versa? No doubt they'll patch Halo 5 and maybe even the MCC to run at 4k from day one of Scorpio, so why are people specifically upset about the lack of a new Halo for Scorpio, rather than the lack of a new Halo full stop?
No exclusives, doesn't mean that there won't be showcase games to show off the extra power. Crackdown will be one of those.

watdaeff4

It's a quick profitable title.

They are going to p2w model on that. Her comment in the video linked by Chobel about Arsenals being so u can jump online right away? Yeah. Expect a pricetag with that

SOR5

They are committed to it still because they are releasing an HD version.

Gaaah alright, I mean dont get me wrong, knowing how things are the chances of you being the correct party in this are astoundingly higher than mine.

Stop getting peoples hopes up about this. It's just the remaster he's talking about. He confirmed himself. That tweet is fcking nothing.

Smh

Friggin' hell calm down? If any speculation of mine is incorrect so be it, but its videogames not speculation about the Holocaust.

SOR5

It's a quick profitable title.

They are going to p2w model on that. Her comment in the video linked by Chobel about Arsenals being so u can jump online right away? Yeah. Expect a pricetag with that

That would be a shame if its treated that way

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The lack of AAA exclusives for Xbox is so bad that GAF makes threads about anything Phil will say. :/

Guys, there are tons of cool games on the X1, browse the store. A lot of stuff never gets mentioned here at all.

KillLaCam

Banned
The Halo thing kinda sucks to me. I really wanted a new halo game since they are doing the whole pc thing. I guess ill be fine with a trailer or something

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Halo Wars 2
Forza 7
State of Decay

Pretty much on point. Personally only looking forward to the "few surprises" and maybe Crackdown 3. They really need to nail their gameplay demo with that one at this E3.

Tecnniqe

Banned
B-but Xbox only have Halo, Gears and Forza.

Literally no games this year then because they make no new IP and never take risks 🙄

Give me Crackdown 3 straight into my veins.

PR_rambo

Banned
Okie Philip if you say so.

He's an ace at saying nice tweets, if he wears some t-shirts with game logos on em at E3, then i am sold.

Chobel

I've heard rumblings that all plans for PD remake have stopped, but I don't know the veracity of the source, so take with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom