• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: '2017 won't be Halo FPS/Gears led'

Anung

Un Rama
There's only one thing I need Microsoft to announce at this E3...

204-risk-boxart_1418776091.png

you guys are vastly, vastly underestimating the appeal of these titles is all i'm trying to say

Scalebound had tons of appeal yet Microsoft canned it. Explain that.

If they didn't care enough about that game, what makes you think they're going to care so much about a remaster for a 13-14 year old game?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Forza Motorsport 7
Halo Wars 2
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Cuphead
Below
Ashen
Phantom Dust HD
Fable Fortune
Voodoo Vince

Actually not a bad year. They have 2 big problems though. First, after cancellation of Scalebound and in absence of Gears/Halo they don't have a AAA game with an story driven campaign. Second, There's absolutely nothing for 2018 and beyond!
Oh Below, why art thou forsaken me?

Chobel

I just really REALLY hope they dont masturbate about the hardware too much for the fanboy audience,

4K is well and good, but a Native 4K Dashboard to scroll around in aimlessly isnt going to do me anything.

Quick and nice showing of Scorpio, then. loads. of. games.

They will definitely masturbate about the hardware too much for the fanboy audience, the big question is whether or not that will happen before E3.

watdaeff4

Forza Motorsport 7
Halo Wars 2
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Cuphead
Below
Ashen
Phantom Dust HD
Fable Fortune
Voodoo Vince

Actually not a bad year. They have 2 big problems. First, after cancellation of Scalebound and in absence of Gears/Halo they don't have a AAA game with an story driven campaign. Second, There's absolutely nothing for 2018 and beyond!

Even if you're correct and all of those come out this year........

Don't expect MS to have hardly any AAA games with a story driven campaign as the main focus from here on out.

If they didn't care enough about that game, what makes you think they're going to care so much about a remaster for a 13-14 year old game?
Weren't Platinum to blame for Scalebound? Who would salvage it if Microsoft chose to go on with it? Also I've read it didn't look that good with its footages.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I just really REALLY hope they dont masturbate about the hardware too much for the fanboy audience,

4K is well and good, but a Native 4K Dashboard to scroll around in aimlessly isnt going to do me anything.

Quick and nice showing of Scorpio, then. loads. of. games.
MS Scorpio HW event right prior to E3. Go all out on the specs; 4K/TV/VR/apps/etc there with some slick tech demos & couple of gamplay teasers from upcoming titles. Then lead it nicely into their E3 for extensive software demonstrations on Scorpio. I'd like that format. That way they can spend all the time on Scorpio HW/partnerships in their dedicated event and blow the lid off the software at E3.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Weren't Platinum to blame for Scalebound? Who would salvage it if Microsoft chose to go on with it? Also I've read it didn't look that good with its footages.

Probably, but we don't really know that yet.

They will definitely masturbate about the hardware too much for the fanboy audience, the big question is whether or not that will happen before E3.

Umm, it's wrong to be excited about new gaming hardware? Have you seen the 1,000,000 switch threads? This is GAF. It's what we do best lol.

Don't expect MS to have hardly any AAA games with a story driven campaign as the main focus from here on out.

Hey that's what PS4 is for, since Sony doesn't have many (or any?) mp-focused games.

Single-console owners be damned, but not like I care about them :D

Forza Motorsport 7
Halo Wars 2
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Cuphead
Below
Ashen
Phantom Dust HD
Fable Fortune
Voodoo Vince

Actually not a bad year. They have 2 big problems though. First, after cancellation of Scalebound and in absence of Gears/Halo they don't have a AAA game with an story driven campaign. Second, There's absolutely nothing for 2018 and beyond!

Halo 6 and forza horizon 4 are safe assumptions for 2018. Not sure after those two.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
He says what the fans want to hear being smartly ambiguous.

LewieP

Probably, but we don't really know that yet.

Platinum have an excellent track record for producing quality games on time and on budget.

Microsoft have a poor history of dealing with third party developers, especially Japanese ones.

Obviously a lot of the details are enknown, but assuming it's Platinum at fault rather than Microsoft seems misguided.

DocSeuss

It's not evening everywhere in the world ;)

haha, i don't even know what time it is, yo. I'm too sick to care right now.

Forza Motorsport 7
Halo Wars 2
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Cuphead
Below
Ashen
Phantom Dust HD
Fable Fortune
Voodoo Vince

Console exclusives, right? Below and Voodoo Vince aren't exactly Xbox exclusives. iirc Capy is on their own with Below now (and still don't have a release date, right?), Voodoo Vince is being self-published with Microsoft's blessing. Ashen's MIA. Fable Fortune is pretty fun. I've enjoyed my time with it. Releasing on Steam too, which is cool.

Wouldn't it make sense that if they're announcing Scorpio this year (and Spencer's said in the past that he prefers to reveal closer to release than most), that their slate would seem kinda thin? You'd want to have a blowout E3 (I'm skeptical of this right now), so of course you wouldn't announce any of your 2018 games if you wanna save 'em for a new console that's releasing in the fall, yeah?

watdaeff4

Hey that's what PS4 is for, since Sony doesn't have many (or any?) mp-focused games.

Single-console owners be damned, but not like I care about them :D

lol what's ironic I almost posted something along those lines.

Switch for my Nintendo fix

PS for my single player games and franchises I mentally associate with Sony like Final Fantasy

XB for my MP games
and until Sony can get a good solution for hard drives most other multi platform games

Jumeira

Banned
He says what the fan want to hear being smartly ambiguous.
Or he's being ambiguous because it's Jan and would ruin E3 where most of this stuff becomes clear. The entire forum though Halo was leading the charge this year, which shows how little we know

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

We dont know anything about the circumstances behind Scalebound officially. Speculating based on stuff we dont know makes no sense.

What i'm saying is that Phantom dust with this re-release is primed an ready for a huge resurgence, and its up to MS marketing the release properly and giving it the proper exposure it needs to flourish

Do they even need it? Its not where their userbase is at, and generally speaking, multiplayer has always been the main focus for Xbox, what drives user engagement

SOR5

Or he's being ambiguous because it's Jan and would ruin E3 where most of this stuff becomes clear. The entire forum though Halo was leading the charge this year, which shows how little we know

He was hinting MASSIVELY at Scorpio around this time last year IIRC

LycanXIII

Very few people thought that Halo 6 would launch the same year as Halo Wars 2.

Edit: People think that Halo 6 will be teased/announced at E3, but released in 2018.

Toki767

I'm curious to see if they include a Halo 6 multiplayer beta with a game this year.

If they do, then his words are pretty hollow in my opinion.

watdaeff4

Do they even need it? Its not where their userbase is at, and generally speaking, multiplayer has always been the main focus for Xbox, what drives user engagement

I don't disagree with you. Just responding to a poster who was stating they were missing.

I'm curious to see if they include a Halo 6 multiplayer beta with a game this year.

So in a world where doing MP betas is often done, that's your takeaway????

Lol ok.

Chobel

Umm, it's wrong to be excited about new gaming hardware? Have you seen the 1,000,000 switch threads? This is GAF. It's what we do best lol.

As long it doesn't take time from game announcements, then no, there's nothing wrong with it. However MS have limited time in their E3 conference (90 minutes), so there's the worry MS won't show too many games if Scorpio hardware reveal takes too much time.

watdaeff4

As long it doesn't take time from game announcements, then no, there's nothing wrong with it. However MS have limited time in their E3 conference (90 minutes), so there's the worry MS won't show too many games if Scorpio hardware reveal takes too much time.

On the flip side if they stretch out the reveal that fills a lot of the 90 minutes if they don't have much in software to discuss.

I'm expecting 30 minutes minimum dedicated to Scorpio. In addition to Some thing like the controller lab they introduced last year to hide their software gaps along with some esports

SOR5

Sonys format was great last year:
game, then game, then game, bit of context and chatter, then game.

MS had a good E3 as well but the format of:
Game, then context for the presentation, then constant chatter over the presentation, then game again is getting old

That would be a Quick turnaround time considering halo 5 just released a little over a year ago. I honestly don't see that happening.

SOR5

MS needs to acknowledge that people don't want Halo and Gears to dissapear they just want them to rest

Just give it a break, and whilst you're doing that, diversify

(Except halo wars that's different and okay)

Because the MS software situation is so desperate are people really wishing for another mainline Halo even faster than normal? Come on, I think it's pretty clear ut won't release 2017. Forza 7 is there though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Platinum have an excellent track record for producing quality games on time and on budget.

Microsoft have a poor history of dealing with third party developers, especially Japanese ones.

Obviously a lot of the details are enknown, but assuming it's Platinum at fault rather than Microsoft seems misguided.

I mean you could also argue that the game looked really rough at every showing, clearly was in some form of development hell at an overstretched development studio and that MS only cancelled one of their biggest exclusives out of necessity.

Not that I believe this or anything, like I said we just don't know.

DocSeuss

Because the MS software situation is so desperate are people really wishing for another mainline Halo even faster than normal? Come on, I think it's pretty clear ut won't release 2017. Forza 7 is there though.

Pretty sure MS said they WANTED to do a 2-year Halo thing, but that doesn't appear to be working out for them right now. I hope development of Halo 6 is faster than 5 since their multiplayer formula seems to be working out for them better this time than Halo 4. Last time I saw the sales data, Halo 5 was doing really good.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MS needs to acknowledge that people don't want Halo and Gears to dissapear they just want them to rest

Just give it a break, and whilst you're doing that, diversify

(Except halo wars that's different and okay)

they cant allow them to rest when they are their tentpoles...

Its not as if first party games on XB1 are so important that they have to be actively muzzled for some reason as an emergency because they are bad Halo 5 was a good game and so was Gears 4, what's the issue?

For different types of games, third parties have plenty of games coming out this year on XB1 already

SOR5

they cant allow them to rest when they are their tentpoles.

Its not as if first party games on XB1 are so important that they have to be actively muzzled for some reason, Halo 5 was a good game and so was Gears 4, what's the issue?

For different types of games, third parties have plenty of games coming out this year on XB1 already

Yeah they're good games, I won't object.
But you get diminishing returns and interest

See: Assassins Creed, Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero

They need to rest, or at least release them out with other additional diversified titles

Top Bottom