• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

I wish we could collectively apologize as a gaming community, for being such assholes to these people

I feel sad every time I hear from these folks, because I think about what they've been through and what trivial bullshit it was for

It's like I said way back during the shitstorm; they were absolutely right to go radio silent because there was absolutely no way the community was going to let them live it down, no matter how hard they worked to fix things or what messaging they used to explain things.

The shitposting in every damn NMS thread is proof that the community is inherently toxic, and nobody deserves the kind of harassment and lambasting they received. There was no way to "make things better", and no way that any kind of apology or explanation would be good enough.

I'm glad they said sweet fuck all, and glad that it caused the nutbars to whip themselves up into a frenzy as a result.

They're working hard to prove themselves now, and that's the best sort of vindication. They skipped the talk and proceeded to just do what needed to be done to achieve their vision. I'm glad this update sounds like it will bring them another step closer to that.

All of this is coming from someone who dropped the game after the initial "honeymoon" phase and hasn't had the time to go back since. But I've booted it up briefly just to see what they did with Pro support and was very impressed.

People who want to continue to hold a grudge over this in the face of a product that continues to receive support are kind of pathetic.

Raven117

I just want to get to the center of the universe without my jump drive breaking every damn time.

Thats it. :( I liked the game, but after that happened a few times, I just couldn't find the fun in that.

Zarth

It's like I said way back during the shitstorm; they were absolutely right to go radio silent because there was absolutely no way the community was going to let them live it down, no matter how hard they worked to fix things or what messaging they used to explain things.

The shitposting in every damn NMS thread is proof that the community is inherently toxic, and nobody deserves the kind of harassment and lambasting they received. There was no way to "make things better", and no way that any kind of apology or explanation would be good enough.

I'm glad they said sweet fuck all, and glad that it caused the nutbars to whip themselves up into a frenzy as a result.

They're working hard to prove themselves now, and that's the best sort of vindication. They skipped the talk and proceeded to just do what needed to be done to achieve their vision. I'm glad this update sounds like it will bring them another step closer to that.

All of this is coming from someone who dropped the game after the initial "honeymoon" phase and hasn't had the time to go back since. But I've booted it up briefly just to see what they did with Pro support and was very impressed.

People who want to continue to hold a grudge over this in the face of a product that continues to receive support are kind of pathetic.

While the death threats and other stuff may be overboard can you really fault folks for feeling like the company burned its credibility?

One of the first things they teach us in game development (especially community and production) is don't talk about shit until you're sure about it.

They did the exact opposite of that.

theWB27

While the death threats and other stuff may be overboard can you really fault folks for feeling like the company burned its credibility?

One of the first things they teach us in game development (especially community and production) is don't talk about shit until you're sure about it.

They don't say anything about moving on?

~Kinggi~

Banned

MAY be overboard? lol transparent as fuck.

Cool update, I still own a copy of the PS4 disc and may pop it back in to check it out. I platinum'd the game and don't have any real complaints, I got a good 15-20 hours of fun (and then another 10-15 hours of boring grind) out of it at launch, be interesting to see what they added.

First thing change during develloppement. Something shown at e3 can change and have changed in multiples games.
Second their danm office was flooded .
Third , "may be overboard" ? LoL nice pat in your back you did, really impressive.

Always wanted to play this game but didn't because of the initial. Backlash. I've been following the ARG which peaked my interest enough for me to purchase the game on PSN yesterday...the sale helped as well ;). Seems like the right time to jump in.

Nice to hear the developers stuck around and updated the game enough to satisfy those still invested in the game. The game genre never appealed to me so I never bought it but remember the quite aggressive abuse the team received on launch.

yencid

Hoping they improve the wildlife with this update. The last two updates really made the game a whole lot better to play and hopefully a story mode will add even more to it, now make the creatures and environments feel more unique and ill be back in for a long time.

I didn't really enjoy the previous updates so I'm hoping this one is good. Basebuilding and exo-crafts didn't scratch my itch---hoping this adds lots of cool story, enhances planet environments and adds all sorts of new creatures.

Mindlog

This update is looking like it's pushing me towards abandoning my base and going full time freighter. I hope they do something about upgrade costs though. My freighter has a humble dozen slots and 50 million won't do much to upgrade that.

Also took a quick peak in my fighter bay. Looks like I own 5 ships in addition to my freighter lol.

McLovin

Cool I'm gonna jump back in, if I'm being honest portals were the last straw for me. I'll probably start a new save.

This update is looking like it's pushing me towards abandoning my base and going full time freighter. I hope they do something about upgrade costs though. My freighter has a humble dozen slots and 50 million won't do much to upgrade that.

Also took a quick peak in my fighter bay. Looks like I own 5 ships in addition to my freighter lol.

i agree . The patch need to tweak the currency a bit ( at least in normal mode )

qcf x2

Same here. While I really apreciate all the updates since launch, MP is the one thing I reaaaaallllyyy want them to add\improve!

I think they'll add it eventually, but it will take a very long time to implement so it made sense to knock out a bunch of other QoL things first.

For example: they have vehicles now, and base building and now portals for fast travel. Maybe the next update lets you terraform more than just caves and minerals, and when multiplayer does arrive you can create your own race tracks or something. You, obstacles, the dangerous weather, ... and a friend.

solidmesh

Neo Member
Interesting. I was one of the (millions) that bought into the pre-sale and was severely disappointed. It'll be hard for the devs to regain our trust, but it looks like they are working hard to achieve just that. Here's for hoping they can figure it out.

JackHerer

A story is not what sold me on this game. I was really hoping that this update would focus on adding some of the core things they promised (like multiplayer), and stuff like overhauling combat, adding more variety to the proc gen for planets and creatures (particularly better AI and some kind of life cycles), and generally just making the universe more dynamic. Or how about VR support?

Lack of story was wayyy down the list of complaints.

Still, I may jump back in to this game with this update so I can see how the game has changed with three updates. I liked the game for what it was when it came out, it just got old way to fast, which felt like a letdown in a game supposedly about infinite variety.

I'm probably one of the very few who doesn't really care about multiplayer that much. I dont have many friends anyway who play so that's probably why.

sdzero

Neo Member
Really hope they put in an option for us Pro owners to run the game at 1080/60 without having to set it at the system level.

Luckydog

At the end of the day, the reasonable disapointment is deserved. They have been working hard to fix the game but what is there was not what was pitched. Perhaps it would get a second better shot as a PS+ Title......

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's also worth mentioning that they started their own publishing company, Hello Labs: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/03/no-mans-sky-developer-announces-funding-initiative-hello-labs

Seems like they're putting money they made from NMS into helping other devs make their dreams a reality, which is very cool of them.

I thought Sean Murray stole it all and laughed at sad gamers from a faraway beach... mmmh...

Seriously, it is great they are still pushing the game and the tech behind it and with yet another free DLC as well as helping other developers publish their work.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Looking forward to it.

Permadeath survival NMS + base building made NMS a different game for me.

Permadeath/Survival makes everything so much more meaningful and there's risk, something normal mode didn't really demonstrate.

Just setup a base and the beginnings of a farm in permadeath near a portal and am enjoying the hell out of it.

In a procedural exploration game like this I could care less about a central narrative. I want to make my own stories, I don't need to read more abandoned building logs. Fix the problems with the gameplay systems, improve the procedural generation and diversity. Narrative flavor is way way down on the list.

I'll reserve judgment until the patch notes, but this is not inspiring confidence.

Same. I haven't touched the game since shortly after launch, and have been hopeful that a few 'we're really sorry' updates that really messed around with the systems could turn things around. Seemed like they were headed in the right direction, but I could not care less about the story. I was expecting, like.....more varied environments? Crazier plants and animals?

hydruxo

I'll check it out when the patch drops. I haven't played since a few weeks after launch, and the other updates sounded neat but not quite enough to make me want to reinstall it. Hope this is good.

ViolentP

I think what happened a year ago was bullshit, but it doesn't justify stubbornness. I hope they knock it out of the park.

Awesome! I hope it's tuned so you're at least somewhat more likely to come across portals than usual; in the 60 hours I played, I saw only one, and I entirely lost track of what planet/system it was on.

Okay so no joke, is this worth buying? I was looking forward to it so much when it first came out but then I heard about all the issues. And now I'm so paranoid about dropping money on it.

I'll give them this, they are making the effort to make things right. That's more then what most companies give you, but sadly for me I don't think I can personally ever get into the game. The burn was too real, but the effort is still positive.

Top Bottom