• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores

Amir0x

Banned
nib95 said:
Edge are a laughable outlet. Why do people even post entire threads for this lacklustre, pretentious and inconsistent mag?

you don't like the threads on them, don't participate in them.

obonicus

Amir0x said:
As always, EDGE uses the FULL 10 point scale,

Funny how the full 10 point scale goes from 5-10, though. Or were they fortunate enough not to run into any 1-4 games this month?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Amir0x said:
you don't like the threads on them, don't participate in them.

Why not? You could participate in a Heavy Rain thread even though you really hate the game, couldn't you?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
That is a pretty rad lineup (although I am still completely skeptical of the Metroid Other M game so I am not yet hyped for it. Much I've read on it seems bad).

I just hope we can skip cutscenes at the start or they take cues from Mirror's Edge and make them glorified load screens.

Amir0x

Banned
kamorra said:
Why not? You could participate in a Heavy Rain thread even though you really hate the game, couldn't you?

Misinterpretation of the comment.

I like the Heavy Rain threads and discussion. I dislike the game itself. This guy asked "why are we having a thread" about this magazine, directly questioning the reason for this threads existence.

If you don't like the thread, don't participate.

bj00rn_

Banned
Ok, wow, now I start to feel sorry for reading the posts in this thread. A little too much... over the top...

*slowly backs up and out of thread*

:lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Wonder if this will end up being seen as the worst #'d Final Fantasy in the series? Doesn't seem to have effected sales very much, selling right around 2M in Japan, and with the 360 release, it probably will outsell many other FFs outside Japan.

I don't even have much interest in a PC port any more, with a review like this, I'd like my nostalgia of FF to be mainly the II and III US releases, with a dash of VII and X/XII. The only FFs I've played and beaten are the NES ones, IV, VI, VIII, and X. I couldn't stay interested with XII for long, and never gave IX a fair chance.

MYE

Can someone find me that hilarious gif of that fat black kid in the middle of the crowd doing the "ohhhhh-ho-ho" face towards the camera

I cant find it anywhere dammit :lol

Ten-Song

nib95 said:
Edge are a laughable outlet. Why do people even post entire threads for this lacklustre, pretentious and inconsistent mag?

So... if you think that way, why are you posting here? That makes no sense.

nib95

Banned
Amir0x said:
Misinterpretation of the comment.

I like the Heavy Rain threads and discussion. I dislike the game itself. This guy asked "why are we having a thread" about this magazine, directly questioning the reason for this threads existence.

If you don't like the thread, don't participate.

I don't mind the thread, I'm just surprised people feel the mag deserves it's own one. But then again we don't really have a "March 2010 Magazine round up" thread. So I suppose it makes sense.

But I do mildly enjoy the Edge discussions that come up. They are, like the mags opinions themselves, completely polarizing.

obonicus

Minsc said:
Wonder if this will end up being seen as the worst #'d Final Fantasy in the series?

I'm more curious as to whether FF XIII will be the subject of a back-back-back-backlash, like FF VIII, in a few years. Will we have future versions of RK and Himuro talking about its genius?

Zzoram

obonicus said:
Funny how the full 10 point scale goes from 5-10, though. Or were they fortunate enough not to run into any 1-4 games this month?

A game doesn't have to score 1 every month to use the whole scale.

WrikaWrek

Banned
nib95 said:
Edge are a laughable outlet. Never understood the draw towards this lacklustre, pretentious and inconsistent mag.

True true, they are not as consistent as fanboys and sellouts, they are lacklustre in providing fanboys the scores they demand by right, they are better than the rest and so they may seem pretentious.

And they absolutely deliver the lulz when people like you come in bitching.

V_Arnold

obonicus said:
I'm more curious as to whether FF XIII will be the subject of a back-back-back-backlash, like FF VIII, in a few years. Will we have future versions of RK and Himuro talking about its genius?

I bet you will. FFXIII is an awesome game.

obonicus

Zzoram said:
A game doesn't have to score 1 every month to use the whole scale.

How often does it need to score that low? Don't IGN and Gamestop have games that scored below, say, 2? Are they using the full 10-point scale too?

Ten-Song

Lunchbox said:
13 will be the worst reviewed and best selling final fantasy

Ehhh, I don't know about that, at least I don't think it'll be the best selling Final Fantasy game ever. I do think it's sales will stand in stark contrast to the reviews for it as well though.

Amir0x

Banned
nib95 said:
I don't mind the thread, I'm just surprised people feel the mag deserves it's own one. But then again we don't really have a "March 2010 Magazine round up" thread. So I suppose it makes sense.

But I do mildly enjoy the Edge discussions that come up. They are, like the mags opinions themselves, completely polarizing.

Games journalism is a sad, sorry place. In this sad, sorry place, EDGE stands among the best. That says something about games journalism, true, but since we also have threads for Game Informer and fucking Nintendo Power, EDGE definitely should get its own.

EDGE uses a full scale, and attempts to justify their scores in detail. They often fail in the details, but they attempt at it. It's what it is.

But complaining about the thread is what won't be allowed.

rezuth

Mailenstein said:
Dunno which God of War 3 they've been playing. As for me it blowed me away like no other game in a loooooooooong time.
After Bayonetta I'm somewhat disappointed with God of War 3. The series lost the whole "I can't believe I'm playing this" and best combat after the madness that was Bayonetta.

Son of Godzilla said:
So FFXIII = Dragon Age. I'll accept that.

You know what, I will actually truthfully agree with this.

FF13 has a bad-ass battle-system as its redeeming feature.

DA:O has the companion writing as its redeeming feature.

Pretty fair (though I have only played a little bit of 13 thus far).

AniHawk

rezuth said:
After Bayonetta I'm somewhat disappointed with God of War 3. The series lost the whole "I can't believe I'm playing this" and best combat after the madness that was Bayonetta.

Yeah, Bayonetta's pretty awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
obonicus said:

I've seen many games that score a 3 or a 4 on their scale.

But, think of it this way. Just like it's semi-rare for a game to be as good as a 9 or 10 on EDGE's scale, it's also semi-rare for a game to be as bad as a 1 or 2 on the scale. There simply aren't that many games that are so fucking broken that they deserve a 1 or a 2, much like there simply aren't that many games that are so awesome in their high quality that they should receive a 9 or a 10.

kinggroin

Banned
Let's see....

*scans through the scores

Nope, not a single game I care about, was met with a poor score. That means Edge is right on the money, and a great games magazine.

Well see next month.

manzo

nib95 said:
Edge are a laughable outlet. Never understood the draw towards this lacklustre, pretentious and inconsistent mag.

They are pretty much the only readable gaming mag these days.

I know it must hurt when they don't give the scores you want them to. You should probably stick to OPM or OXM.

Cartman86

Banned
This is why I dislike just seeing what Edge as a magazine gives different games. Like to know WHO is reviewing each game.

Actually reading the review (FFXIII) I understood all the points brought up. Don't know if I would agree with a 5 though.

kinggroin said:
Let's see....

*scans through the scores

Nope, not a single game I care about, was met with a poor score. That means Edge is right on the money, and a great games magazine.

Well see next month.

:lol

So true. So very true.

I think the only time they featured a game that I cared about was Witcher, and I raged at that score.

7/10 for NMH2 sounds about right, it is a great game but lacks the classiness/style of the original.

for reference, NMH1 got 9/10, deserved score :)

manzo

rezuth said:

I had the sad moment of trying out Dante's Inferno demo after a 2 hour session with Bayonetta.

I really do hope to see GoW3 blowing my mind as GoW2 did. The amount of stuff GoW2 did on a PS2 was astounding.

Dabanton

MYE said:
Can someone find me that hilarious gif of that fat black kid in the middle of the crowd doing the "ohhhhh-ho-ho" face towards the camera

I cant find it anywhere dammit :lol

Because you asked nicely.

eur9sj.gif

rezuth said:
Huh? The first 20somewhat minutes in God of War 3 are breathtaking - never really experienced anything similar to that. Just EPIC.
I experienced Bayonetta fighting mechanics rather chaotic compared to God of War 3. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely playable, no question, but at times I just lost the overview which is not happening for me in GoW3. And maybe that's just me, but the fighting mechanics in GoW3 feel so much better now since GoW2 - they just brought it to perfection.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Mailenstein said:
Huh? The first 20somewhat minutes in God of War 3 are breathtaking - never really experienced anything similar to that. Just EPIC.
I experienced Bayonetta fighting mechanics rather chaotic compared to God of War 3. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely playable, no question, but at times I just lost the overview which is not happening for me in GoW3. And maybe that's just me, but the fighting mechanics in GoW3 feel so much better now since GoW2 - they just brought it to perfection.

:lol :lol

Cartman86

Banned
Mailenstein said:

That's how I felt about Bayonetta as well. A little too flashy for my taste. Artistically speaking it was kind of ugly as well.

I've played about 5 hours of it so far. Does it change? Do I ever feel like I should know what the hell is going on?

A 5 for AVP?!?

I know it may not have all the fancy bells and whistles that modern games have but its still a damn fun game and definitly deserves more than that.

tzare

manzo said:
They are pretty much the only readable gaming mag these days.

I know it must hurt when they don't give the scores you want them to. You should probably stick to OPM or OXM.
that may be true, besides reviews of course, they are nothing special, too overrated.

Top Bottom