• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores

AniHawk said:
What genre is GOW III exactly. Because I always thought of it as an action game but people say that it's wrong because I should stop comparing it directly to Bayonetta but whatever genre each one belongs to, they look like they're pretty much the same to me.
Action game.

Yagharek

ITT: people bitching about GoW3/FF13/insert favourite title here

Also ITT: people not talking about Platinum Games' first DS title.

WHY?!

Infinite Space looks fucking awesome.

eggandI

Banned
2San said:
Did you only play normal mode or something? You know if you turn up the difficulty it gets harder. Not to mention Bayonetta has challenges which are pretty fun as well. Not to mention the differences in weapons actually matter. How are the extra features overkill they all give you options to get a distinct play style and give replay value. Yeah you can mash buttons in normal mode, try cranking up the difficulty settings. Normal mode is just an introduction. Honestly GoW3's style and mythos, I'll give GoW that it makes more sense, but it's not like it's the epitome of writing. And I prefer Bayo's style at least it doesn't take itself seriously.

Look you have different priorities in games. People who prefer Bayonetta are people who like gameplay, people who prefer GoW put more interest in the wow factor you have no control over. I like to have control over my games, and where the coolest shit that happens is done by myself.

Hey that's fine. I play video games for the gameplay but GoW3 is a case where everything about it is so amazing that the overall experience is far above anything Bayonetta had to offer.

Corto

No surprise this month, for those that read the magazine it should be transparent by now what makes their fancy and what not. If what you want is a magazine that matches your tastes there are plenty of good magazines out there to choose from. If you want a well written, feature rich, iconographic magazine, then Edge is for you... even if they commit the sin of having different opinions than yours.

tzare

AniHawk said:
What genre is GOW III exactly. Because I always thought of it as an action game but people say that it's wrong because I should stop comparing it directly to Bayonetta but whatever genre each one belongs to, they look like they're pretty much the same to me.
it is an action game but with a different idea. Would you compare Forza to motorstorm just because you drive cars on them?

VALIS

Snuggler said:
Yeah the only interesting score is the FFXIII 5/10 score, can anyone sum up why they gave it such a harsh number? I've been considering purchasing the game but all the negative impressions have left me feeling unsure about it.

Didn't you just answer your own question?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
from the sounds of it, my less than hardcore gamer friends who all love Final Fantasy games are really digging this one. really think EDGE has lost touch with its purpose which is to educate gamers, understand what gamers want and like and so on. Feels like all they do now is pander to their own hyped up reputation.

if you look at all their scores across the board, there is no way 5 is the average game, and no way FFXIII isn't as good as many games they rate as 6,7 or 8.

but all EDGE threads kind of end up being like this huh! bitching I can understand, but people can stop coming in talking about FULL 10 SCALE!! now. we know thats what they pretend to use, we just dont think they do it very well.

Dabanton

Aad said:
As said before EDGE uses the full scale 1-10, I saw this on another forum

10: Sublime
9: Outstanding
8: Excellent
7: Great
6: Good
5: Average
4: Poor
3: Terrible
2: Awful
1: Why bother?

This should be posted at the beginning of every Edge thread it would stop some of the more 'emotional' responses

also how did this thread become Bayonetta VS GoWIII? :lol

onken

I'm no Final Fantasy nut (I've never even bought or finished a FF game before) but having platinumed FF13, giving it a 5 is simply ridiculous. There's one thing not liking the direction a series has taken, but come on, a game should be rated on its own merits.

2San

AniHawk said:
GoW falls under the cinematic action genre, while Bayonetta belongs to the pure action genre. Though afaik GoW doesn't have any competition well next to Dante's inferno. :lol

edit: w8 there's the force unleashed as well and Ninja blade! :|

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Dabanton said:
This should be posted at the beginning of every Edge thread it would stop some of the more 'emotional' responses

also how did this thread become Bayonetta VS GoWIII? :lol

Because Edge gave Bayonetta a 10. And God of War 3 "only" got a 8. So people are getting pissed saying that Edge sucks etc etc. :lol

onken said:
I'm no Final Fantasy nut (I've never even bought or finished a FF game before) but having platinumed FF13, giving it a 5 is simply ridiculous. There's one thing not liking the direction a series has taken, but come on, a game should be rated on its own merits.

Agreed. And I think they did just that.

The Final Fantasy name buffs scores more often than it nerfs them.

AstroMan

Banned
I typically agree with EDGE most of the time but there are instances where I scratch my head at the scores they give out (like BC2, but I'm a BF fanboy so hey). I can totally see why one would give it and God of War III an eight, though. Can't wait to read the reviews.

Yup Infinite space > FFXIII

That's an easy call.

I actually booted it up for the first time in a while on my last bus trip. I need to just sit down and finish it at some point. Great space opera RPG

tzare

Kandrick said:
Because Edge gave Bayonetta a 10. And God of War 3 "only" got a 8. So people are getting pissed i guess :lol
the problem is giving a 10 to bayonneta, not an 8 to god of war

tzare said:
it is an action game but with a different idea. Would you compare Forza to motorstorm just because you drive cars on them?

But I don't see those as exactly the same genre. Forza is Simulation Racing, while Motorstorm is Arcade Racing. Sub-genres of the same genre, sure, but they can't be directly compared in terms of gameplay which is what people seem to do with GOW, and Bayonetta.

GOW is Action Adventure (though very linear), Bayonetta is action IMO.

tzare said:
the problem is giving a 10 to bayonneta, not an 8 to god of war

C'mon man, the Edge scale doesn't go to 15.

10 is the most they could give it. :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im amazed by this (Every month):

GAF: We're so hardcore, game journalism sucks, we dont care about reviews.
Magazine : Super Game 8/10.
GAF: RAAAGEEEE!!! THEY INSULTED EVERYTHING WE BELIEVE IN!!! FUUUUU !!!

But hey, at least is fun to read the meltdowns.

Actually I can't believe they gave BOTH WKC and FFXIII 5s.

I might not have enjoyed FFXIII as much as other people, but holy shit WKC was such a sub-par RPG it was silly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
kaizoku said:
from the sounds of it, my less than hardcore gamer friends who all love Final Fantasy games are really digging this one.
well, especially compared to XII, it is just about the most accessible FF game I have ever played.

it seems like a direct response to the Japanese and/or the casual market being overwhelmed by FFXII. even for me, that game certainly wasn't -- uh -- easily digestible.

Aad

Fersis said:

GAF: RAAAGEEEE!!! THEY INSULTED EVERYTHING WE BELIEVE ON!!! FUUUUU !!!

Sums it up about right.

eggandI

Banned
Kandrick said:
Because Edge gave Bayonetta a 10. And God of War 3 "only" got a 8. So people are getting pissed saying that Edge sucks etc etc. :lol

Hm? Dunno if you are referring to me but I wasn't even aware of GoW3's score until now and I really couldn't care less. Was just commenting on someone's post. No tears over here. I don't see tears anywhere actually. You are over-exaggerating.

Fersis said:

GAF: RAAAGEEEE!!! THEY INSULTED EVERYTHING WE BELIEVE ON!!! FUUUUU !!!

Where are these meltdowns you are talking about?

panda21

my problem with their scores isnt that they give some games low scores (using full scale etc), but that a lot of their scores make no sense given that they also give thoroughly mediocre games far too good scores if they were genuinely using the full scale.

saying 5 is average and giving FFXIII a 5 and GoW III an 8 is fine, but then doing that and giving stuff like prototype, fuel and tomb raider an 8 just makes no sense.

saying 5 is actually a good score doesnt mean much when it is pretty much reserved for stuff they didnt like and piles of mediocre games get a 7/8. if they really used the full scale they would give a lot more 5s.

Rez said:
well, especially compared to XII, it is just about the most accessible FF game I have ever played.

it seems like a direct response to the Japanese and/or the casual market being overwhelmed by FFXII. even for me, that game certainly wasn't -- uh -- easily digestible.

Very true.

I love the game and even I have periods of time when my faith is severely shaken.

Usually revamping my gambits makes me feel better, though not always.

MYE

AniHawk said:

Streamlined action game, maybe?

The summer blockbuster version of the genre Devil May Cry created?

Its not as deep or gameplay-driven as many action games out there and, to me, its appeal resides on the roller coaster ride pacing and flashy, easy to pull combos.

I look at it as the ultimate 80s cartoon game really :lol

tzare

Net_Wrecker said:
But I don't see those as exactly the same genre. Forza is Simulation Racing, while Motorstorm is Arcade Racing. Sub-genres of the same genre, sure, but they can't be directly compared in terms of gameplay which is what people seem to do with GOW, and Bayonetta.

GOW is Action Adventure (though very linear), Bayonetta is action IMO.

Well, because in racing games things are easier to spot. But if i say PGR4 then if would be harder to define.
To me GOW is not only about the action, but the scale, brutality,OST, visuals. It is a big package. Like an arcade game: impresses, and fun & easy to play. Bayonneta has nice visuals, but focuses on technical gameplay. Not everyone likes spending his gaming time doing insane combos. There is space for eveyone, they are no competition, they are compatible. You can enjoy both or only one if that is the case. i think both games are almost perfection on what they pretend to be. I'd give a 9 to them both, becaause perfection does not exist :p

panda21 said:
my problem with their scores isnt that they give some games low scores (using full scale etc), but that a lot of their scores make no sense given that they also give thoroughly mediocre games far too good scores if they were genuinely using the full scale.

saying 5 is average and giving FFXIII a 5 and GoW III an 8 is fine, but then doing that and giving stuff like prototype, fuel and tomb raider an 8 just makes no sense.

saying 5 is actually a good score doesnt mean much when it is pretty much reserved for stuff they didnt like and piles of mediocre games get a 7/8. if they really used the full scale they would give a lot more 5s.

That is my main gripe with Edge aswell. I probably will agree with their scoring on FF13 as I did with their scoring of Fallout 3 and Dragon Age. But I just can't see why they don't score lesser games in the same scale.

eznark

Banned
the news here is that Alice in Wonderland is "great." What platform did they review it for, and which British developer developed it?

nib95

Banned
lorddarkflare said:
Agreed. And I think they did just that.

The Final Fantasy name buffs scores more often than it nerfs them.

I somehow doubt that. FF has the reputation it has for a reason. No other JRPG usually delivers the same level of production value or epic grandeur/flair. Say what you will, but even when looking at something as basic as development budgets that much is obvious enough. I have been vocal on my extreme disappointments for changes made to FFXIII (to the point where I almost didn't care to buy it) but even I'd agree that 5/10 just seems too low on Edge's rating system. Especially in comparison to past scores they've given that Edge's 'proper' use of the entire 10 scale is only really a farce (imo). Gameplay changes aside, the production values and other key ultra polished elements still remain.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Production values alone don't mean shit.

We need to stop with this bs. Look at other entertainment mediums, Transformers 2 has production values blowing out of every goddamn hole, and it's still a piece of shit movie.

nib95 said:
When I saw that Edge gave Bayonetta a 10 (on the front cover of the box), I was thinking that it was either another example of how ridiculous Edge's opinions are (especially their 10's), and how much of a farce the "they use the entire 10 scale" defense was. Or, I was hoping I'd stand happily corrected and be absolutely blown away by the game beyond measure. Lets just say it wasn't the latter.

Yeah, it totally doesn't sound like you had made up your mind before you played the game or anything

tzare

WrikaWrek said:

We need to stop with this bs. Look at other entertainment mediums, Transformers 2 has production values blowing out of every goddamn hole, and it's still a piece of shit movie.

if you are talking about god of war, production values are not alone you know.
It is like mass effect, it is an okay plot, in a sci-fi setting with nice prodution values: races, planets all that codex stuff. It is an arcade game on a RPG suit. It is the whole that makes the game fun. Not gameplay alone.

The same for SFIV, c'mon, SFIV is to GOW what BB is to bayonneta, yet, this time SFIV scored better than BB being it the best game gameplay wise. In the end, edge scores are just their tastes, and like everyones, those are biased.

nib95

Banned
panda21 said:

This is also my main critisism of the mag. The gross inconsistencies with reviews. They basically just pander to their pretentious and supposed "harsh but grounded" reputation every now and again (usually reserved for bigger titles) but whilst doing so end up looking foolish. In my opinion of course.

But yea, they fact that numerically speaking, they think games like Fuel and Prototype are level pegging with titans like Bioshock and GOW3 certainly confuses me.

obonicus

The Hug Dog said:
Not only this but they are somewhat selective over what they review so many games that would get 2s or 3s or whatever are just ignored.

That's like saying that Play used the whole review scale, they just chose to review high-scoring games. Either you see the whole scale used on a regular basis or the magazine doesn't use the whole scale, simple as that. 'Use the whole scale' is shorthand for 'they give low scores to games with a lot of hype behind them' -- otherwise you could credibly say that IGN or Gamespot use the whole scale since they also review a ton more shovelware, and rate those games accordingly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nib95 said:
Gameplay changes aside, the production values and other key ultra polished elements still remain.
I don't think anyone anywhere should be encouraging this mentality at any time. It's absolutely toxic.

(note: I like FFXIII and would probably give it 3 belt buckles out of 7 peanuts on the Rezoscale)

WrikaWrek

Banned
tzare said:
if you are talking about god of war, production values are not alone you know.
It is like mass effect, it is an okay plot, in a sci-fi setting with nice prodution values: races, planets all that codex stuff. It is an arcade game on a RPG suit.

I was talking about FFXIII, from what i see God Of War 3 is much more than just production values.

Not reason to think otherwise considering the 1st two.

WrikaWrek said:

I actually thought the special effects and action in Transformers was its biggest downfall, with cartoony action and tin like frail robots, and not not the over the top acting, story and humor.

Production values made Avatar, but it didn't help Transformers.

Rez said:
I don't think anyone anywhere should be encouraging this mentality at any time. It's absolutely toxic.

No shit, I basically am ignoring him after that.

Though I suppose it is unfair, as I am sure what he means to say is no where near as ridiculous-sounding.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Omotesando said:
I actually thought the special effects and action in Transformers was its biggest downfall, with cartoony action and tin like frail robots, and not not the over the top acting, story and humor.

Production values made Avatar, but it didn't help Transformers.

The only problem with the action and the special effects in T2 is that there was too fucking much of it, for what it seemed like an eternity. Movie felt 4 hours long.

Obviously, the story and pacing were crap tastic.

tzare

WrikaWrek said:
I was talking about FFXIII, from what i see God Of War 3 is much more than just production values.

Not reason to think otherwise considering the 1st two.
i cannot talk about FFXIII because i hate JRPG :D
So i skip this one :p

pd. i also hate western rpgs but ME gave me a nice ride :)

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
i dont give two shits about reviews since they tricked me to buy mirrors edge,

i just want to say this about the bayonetta/gow fight:

imagine you are NOT an anime/manga fan, you do NOT like girly/flashy stuff all the time, and now imagine this person playing bayonetta...

its like a raver at a jazz concert, you would think that he has to like the "better" music and enjoy the concert... but damn this guy just want to party and get trippin`... and he`ll be gone fast.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
AniHawk said:

I'm with you, man.

Top Bottom