• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

Dahbomb

I'm watching GX, the episode they fight Jinzo, and I'm mad. Judai could have just won if he used the effect of the magic card on the field, instead of destroying it. And no one pointed it out.
Everyone is a god damn scrub in GX (well YGO in general but definitely huge scrubs in GX), that's why.

"HAHAHA that monster with 0 attack is nothing against my monster with 1500 attack points!!!"

Son... if they summoned a monster with 0 attack points you KNOW it has some ridiculous abilities...

People in the show jizz too much over attack points and life points. Typical scrub mentality in card games.

KingBroly

Banned
My local Walmart had the Oricalchos pack, so I decided to get that.

I finally got myself a Morphing Jar, yay! (I know it's banned ;_;)

Cross promoting with Structure Deck: Kaiba
I thought this was a Superheavy Samurai at first. >.>

yOMyUqF.jpg

INOV-JP033 – Rare
Torque Tune Gear
Light Machine / Union / Tuner / Effect
LV1 0/0
(1) Once per turn: You can activate 1 of the following effects.
-Target 1 face-up monster you control; equip this card to it. If a monster equipped by this card would be destroyed by battle or effect, destroy this card instead.
-Special Summon this equipped card.
(2) A monster equipped by this card becomes treated as a Tuner, and gains 500 ATK and DEF.
https://ygorganization.com/whattimeisit/

Fj0823

yOMyUqF.jpg

INOV-JP033 – Rare
Torque Tune Gear
LV1 0/0
-Target 1 face-up monster you control; equip this card to it. If a monster equipped by this card would be destroyed by battle or effect, destroy this card instead.
(2) A monster equipped by this card becomes treated as a Tuner, and gains 500 ATK and DEF.

So ABCVXYZ got a Tuner...interesting

Hey, peeps. So I got a few of the 3-card packs from the dollar store to check out the new cards for poops and giggles, but I ended up getting some gen-1 cards. lol
(FINALLY GOT A RED-EYES HOLY SHIT)

What's the best deal for cards to collect/play casually? I really liked those $1 boosters I got, but wouldn't mind a better overall deal.

EMT0

Banned

yOMyUqF.jpg

INOV-JP033 – Rare
Torque Tune Gear
LV1 0/0

This card is gonna be nuts in Blue-Eyes and Blue-Eyes/Buster Blader hybrid decks, it'll make Ultimaya plays incredibly easy, since it's searchable off of Sage with Eyes of Blue.

A new Pot of Greed esque card appears.

ClTVPTLVEAATKDY.jpg

INOV-JP065 Daiyoku na Tsubo (Pot of Avidity)
Quick-Play Spell Card
You can only activate 1 “Pot of Avidity” per turn.
(1) Target 3 banished monsters; shuffle all 3 targets into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

Another card was revealed today that's going to be really strong in Zombie decks; it'll let me recycle Mezukis and Skull Servant cards.

Another card was revealed today that's going to be really strong in Zombie decks; it'll let me recycle Mezukis and Skull Servant cards.

Why so many Pot of Greed replacements? I think zombies will need more help than this card though. Good monsters are another problem.

Hmm. Glad to see more zombie archetypes, but couldn't they make them look like zombies at least? Hate when they do that with types. I want my zombies to look like zombies!

Fj0823

Hey guys, short question :)

Did Yami or someone else pop up in one of the TV shows after the original series ended?

Yugi gives Jaden Yuki his Winged Kuriboh, also Yugi and Jaden duel in the last episode of japanese Gx (4kids censored the entire season in America)

The Yugi/Jaden/Yusei cross over movie is part of 5D's canon and is directly referenced in 5Ds season 3

Zexal and Arc V are a different continuity

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yugi gives Jaden Yuki his Winged Kuriboh, also Yugi and Jaden duel in the last episode of japanese Gx (4kids censored the entire season in America)

The Yugi/Jaden/Yusei cross over movie is part of 5D's canon and is directly referenced in 5Ds season 3

Zexal and Arc V are a different continuity

Thanks. Will look into these couple of episodes.
Dont care about the other stuff, I just care about the story of the millenium accessoires.

Fj0823

The pot card is pretty good. It's kinda sad that the card that started it all will never ever see the light of day unless they edit it.

Maybe "Draw 2 cards, cant special summon from extra deck this turn, skip your battle phase" ?

In the anime department, I'm still amazed at how consistently good Arc V is.
Brave Eyes Pendulum Dragon
is cool AF.

Alien support! This was unexpected. :eek:
hYbhn3m.jpg

INOV-JP063 「A」細胞組み換え装置 “A” Saihou Kumikae Souchi (“A” Cell Recombination Device)
Quick-Play Spell Card
(1) Target 1 face-up monster on the field; send 1 “Alien” monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, and if you do, place A-Counters on that monster equal to the Level of the monster sent to the Graveyard.
(2) During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 “Alien” monster from your Deck to your hand.

https://ygorganization.com/inov-a-cell-recombination-device/

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm still bummed the one dude who used Aliens in the show in Arc-V was taken out off-screen.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hey everyone!

I used to play YGO pretty competitively on and offline way back in the day. I stopped around Synchros, but I always thought they felt like fusions done correctly. Xyz seems a little powerful, but I don't subscribe to the "this wasn't around when I played, so it's bad" mentality.

However, as an observer now, I get this impression that too many cards are printed for exact niches. Back In My Day (TM), you had general use cards that could work well in any deck, but worked especially well when you combined them. Nowadays, it seems we've strayed to the opposite end of the spectrum where there are tons of cards that only work in *insert name-based archetype*.

I suppose an example are Monarch decks of old vs new. Monarch decks of old played cards like Brain Control, Scapegoat + Enemy Controller/Creature Swap to generate tribute fodder. You could even include the tutor monsters like Mystic Tomato to ensure a stable board state for tributing. These are all very generic cards that can be splashed in most decks. Nowadays, there are tons of cards that have special effects if you play cards with "Monarch" in the name. So now, you already have this pool of support that you pick out of, leaving not as much room for creativity as in the past.

How does everyone feel about that? Or are my observations wrong? That could totally be the case too.

Wichu

Hey everyone!

I used to play YGO pretty competitively on and offline way back in the day. I stopped around Synchros, but I always thought they felt like fusions done correctly. Xyz seems a little powerful, but I don't subscribe to the "this wasn't around when I played, so it's bad" mentality.

However, as an observer now, I get this impression that too many cards are printed for exact niches. Back In My Day (TM), you had general use cards that could work well in any deck, but worked especially well when you combined them. Nowadays, it seems we've strayed to the opposite end of the spectrum where there are tons of cards that only work in *insert name-based archetype*.

I suppose an example are Monarch decks of old vs new. Monarch decks of old played cards like Brain Control, Scapegoat + Enemy Controller/Creature Swap to generate tribute fodder. You could even include the tutor monsters like Mystic Tomato to ensure a stable board state for tributing. These are all very generic cards that can be splashed in most decks. Nowadays, there are tons of cards that have special effects if you play cards with "Monarch" in the name. So now, you already have this pool of support that you pick out of, leaving not as much room for creativity as in the past.

How does everyone feel about that? Or are my observations wrong? That could totally be the case too.

It's an easy way to help kids build decks. With self-contained archetypes, you can just put together a bunch of cards in that archetype and not worry about trawling through years and years of cards that may or may not help you.

It also makes it easier to sell packs. Archetypes let them put in a higher number of relevant cards into each set without power creeping too much.

That said, it does make deck building a bit boring. I enjoy deck building in Magic way more than in Yu-Gi-Oh. Magic takes the opposite approach, where the vast majority of cards are generic, and the deck building process benefits from it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Archetypes let them put in a higher number of relevant cards into each set without power creeping too much.
Yeah, I've noticed that. But the end result are cards that fit too snugly into individual archetypes, cards that have like 18 conditions to satisfy, and/or cards that can only have one copy used per turn.

On one hand, it restricts deckbuilding, but I suppose having a card pool of 5k? 6k? comes with some baggage.

As sort of an aside, I recently bought a booster box to draft with friends. We found it hilarious that your pack filler vanillas were largely replaced by situational, sub-1000 stat archetype cards, haha.

Wichu

Yeah, I've noticed that. But the end result are cards that fit too snugly into individual archetypes, cards that have like 18 conditions to satisfy, and/or cards that can only have one copy used per turn.

On one hand, it restricts deckbuilding, but I suppose having a card pool of 5k? 6k? comes with some baggage.

I recently bought a booster box to draft with friends. We found it hilarious that your pack filler vanillas were largely replaced by situational, sub-1000 stat archetype cards, haha.

Yu-Gi-Oh sealed is generally miserable, but I guess drafting might not be that bad, as you can actually go into archetypes. The big problem with that would be that there's usually one 'best' archetype to play. Maybe it would work better with one of the supplemental sets that have three or four fairly balanced archetypes (e.g. Wing Raiders)? Have you tried Battle Pack sealed/draft? I still have a bunch of BP02 and WGRT packs that I need to find some friends to draft with.

EMT0

Banned
It's an easy way to help kids build decks. With self-contained archetypes, you can just put together a bunch of cards in that archetype and not worry about trawling through years and years of cards that may or may not help you.

It also makes it easier to sell packs. Archetypes let them put in a higher number of relevant cards into each set without power creeping too much.

That said, it does make deck building a bit boring. I enjoy deck building in Magic way more than in Yu-Gi-Oh. Magic takes the opposite approach, where the vast majority of cards are generic, and the deck building process benefits from it.

I'd agree with this in general but sometimes the sweetest thing in Yugioh can be finding a few generic cards or sometimes a squeezed in archetype that make your deck that much better, especially when it's an obscure choice.

For example, my Prediction Princess deck. Everyone knows at this point that Cyber Angels, Saffira, and Ritual Sanctuary boost the deck's speed and power, as well as Spirit of the Fall Wind being a nice way to search out your Pots of the Forbidden. Now, you could be boring about it and run 3s of everything, but my build is far more tweaked, due to Fall Wind's ability to search any Flip monster in the deck. So I trimmed my deck to two Pots, two Fall Winds, 1 Instant Fusion, and 2 Twin Twisters in order to squeeze in a few tech cards. Honest and Kristiya being run when you have Saffiras and Cyber Angel - Bentens isn't original on my part, but my choice of adding in four flip monsters is, IMO. As far as I can tell, people only really run Pots. My four one-ofs are:

-Magician Faith
-DUCKER Mobile Cannon
-Scapeghost
-Dummy Golem

Magician of Faith lets me get into Shenanigans(tm). It lets me recycle spells like Raigeki, Instant Fusion, Twin Twisters, and Preparation of Rites to use them multiple times per duel at best, at worst gives me more fodder to pitch with Ritual Sanctuary to enable a play. Topdecking it has legitimately saved my bacon at times, while going into it via search usually means I can lock my opponent between Pot's multiple disruption abilities, Taraotrei's once per turn Book of Moon effect, and Magician of Faith to continuously recycle obnoxious cards like Twin Twister and Preparation of Rites to tighten the noose around my opponent and ruin their resources. Add in the usual Honest in hand and Hymn of Light in my graveyard and it's a lock that usually leads to opponents surrendering.

DUCKER can recycle any Lv 4 monster to my hand; if I'm in a comfortable position in a duel, I'll search DUCKER first so that I can loop it and Taraotrei to bring out my other toolbox Flip monsters, or recycle Manjus for two or even three searches per turn. Topdecking or drawing into it is rarely bad, as worst-case scenario if you brick it'll let you recycle either Manju or Fall Wind enough that you can start making power plays.

Dummy Golem is my out to obnoxious boss monsters like Apoqliphort Towers and its various untargettable or unaffected clones such as the Raidraptors rank 12 boss and Dank Destroyer. It's the tech card most likely to brick my hand but in a worst-case scenario it'll force an opponent to give me one of their beefier monsters; Burning Abyss in particular dislikes doing so as most of their beaters are 2500 beaters.

Scapeghost is there because it can easily stall in a pinch at worst, and at best enables me to make Synchro plays that either stop my opponent cold or let me attack for game worry-free; running Taraotrei means that Leo, Keeper of the Sacred Tree and Star Eater are easily dropped, as well as letting me go into more control-oriented Synchros like Trishula and Psy-Frame Omega when combined with Saffira or Manju/Fall Wind.

Innovation isn't dead per se, it's just that some of the most useful cards can also be incredibly obscure to most players nowadays. 3 of my tech cards are actually fairly old, and other techs I considered such as Spear Cretin, Hade-Hane, Magical Merchant, and Buten also fall under 'old, good, and rather obscure' for this specific deck.

Does this mean Ritual has it's own dimension in Arc-V???

emgcKs3.png

INOV-JP078 次元障壁 Jigen Shouheki (Dimension Barrier)
Normal Trap Card
You can only activate “Dimension Barrier” once per turn.
(1) Declare 1 monster card type (Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Pendulum); for the rest of this turn, neither player can Special Summon monsters of the declared type, also negate the effects of monsters on the field of the declared type.

More Rock support! Rocks need a Tuner though, missed opportunity.
10uKR47.png

INOV-JP032 怒気土器 Dokidoki
Level 2 EARTH Rock-Type Effect Monster
ATK 500
DEF 500
You can only use the effect of “Dokidoki” once per turn.
(1) You can discard 1 Rock-Type monster; Special Summon 1 Rock-Type monster from the Deck with the same Attribute and Level as the discarded monster, in Attack Position or face-down Defense Position.

https://ygorganization.com/inov-dokidoki-and-dimension-barrier/

Are there still overpowered cards or did the forbidden lists get rid of all that?

When I played Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour on the DS Snatch Steal and Mirror Force were way too OP.

Fj0823

Are there still overpowered cards or did the forbidden lists get rid of all that?

When I played Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour on the DS Snatch Steal and Mirror Force were way too OP.

Snatch Steal is banned. Other OP cards like Chaos Emperor Dragon and Monster Reborn are banned too.

You can use 3 Mirror Force now, we even have Blazing Mirror Force, Storming Mirror Force, Drowning Mirror Force, Quaking Mirror Force...All at 3.

Edit: That trap card is interesting, but it seems like it can't stop Pendulum effects, as it states "monsters on the field"

Dahbomb

They are still over powered cards in the game but not the type that you are thinking of.

Cards that just straight up kill monsters aren't even that good anymore. Raigeki is a legal card at 1 despite being hilariously powerful. And Mirror Force isn't as good as that, you can use 3 in a deck.

The cards that are powerful now in terms of spells/traps are cards that kill stuff before they get going OR if they kill them they remove from play. So cards like the Solemn traps and the Bottomless Trap Hole are more effective.

Of course all the mind control/monster steal type cards are banned. Those are banned less so because they kill a monster and more because you can take a monster and then use their monster to summon a bigger, better monster from your Extra deck. Extra deck is a big thing in YGO these days... that's the harsh lesson I learned getting back into the game. And since Extra deck is a big deal that means Special Summons are a big deal because you can special summon a bunch of monsters and get a big monster out super early. This has greatly increased the speed of the game and the best way to play a control game is to play it pre-emptively (ie. set up traps and prevent the summons from even taking place).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does this mean Ritual has it's own dimension in Arc-V???
I feel like they are going to pull that out as some sort of plot twist. The Show is called Arc 5, there is some sort of evil thing in Yuya plus his look alikes, pulling out a 5th dimension being Ritual Summons makes sense IMO. Watch, at the end of the arc its going to be revealed that Akaba Leo is being controlled by some ghost or something from the the Ritual Dimension, they are going to open up some hole that allows more people from the Ritual Dimension to escape, and they will start a real war.

I feel like they are going to pull that out as some sort of plot twist. The Show is called Arc 5, there is some sort of evil thing in Yuya plus his look alikes, pulling out a 5th dimension being Ritual Summons makes sense IMO. Watch, at the end of the arc its going to be revealed that Akaba Leo is being controlled by some ghost or something from the the Ritual Dimension, they are going to open up some hole that allows more people from the Ritual Dimension to escape, and they will start a real war.

I want to believe. I really do want to see a Ritual Dimension happen just for the extra ritual support that it could give (Cyber Angels can't carry the whole mechanic >.>). Give the final enemy Nekroz or something!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
You can use 3 Mirror Force now, we even have Blazing Mirror Force, Storming Mirror Force, Drowning Mirror Force, Quaking Mirror Force...All at 3.
How is the trap game now? There was a magical
ly awful
time where MST was at 3 and Heavy Storm was at 1, pretty much neutering traps. Then they set Dark Hole and Monster Reborn up to 1 which was the final nail in the coffin for me.

EMT0

Banned
I like rituals but I hate Nekroz, deck gave me hell when I first started playing again and their turns took too damn long.

I'm the same. I tried to learn Nekroz, I just went 'wuh?' the entire time after two hours of learning combos. I'm bad at wrapping my head around it; I found Ritual Beasts to be easier for example.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I loved Nekroz when it first got put on ygopro and no one was playing it. Djinn lock my friend and they had no idea what was going on

DrAg0nBoY

Searched yesterday for my old Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. So many good memories from that time when I played the game. Got also so many fake japanese cards, which I got from a friend :D.

If there weren't so many different cards out now I would probably start playing again. Thank God I won't though.

Fj0823

Searched yesterday for my old Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. So many good memories from that time when I played the game. Got also so many fake japanese cards, which I got from a friend :D.

If there weren't so many different cards out now I would probably start playing again. Thank God I won't though.

How is variety a bad thing?

Escargo

Nekroz is my favourite deck. Loved how it had so many options when it had shurit. Right next to shaddolls. I really want to make infernoids burning abyss but dante to 1 would kill my dreams.

EMT0

Banned
Nekroz is my favourite deck. Loved how it had so many options when it had shurit. Right next to shaddolls. I really want to make infernoids burning abyss but dante to 1 would kill my dreams.

I really, really like Shaddolls on the other hand. I picked it up really fast and spent an entire day playing it on YGOPro experimenting with builds.

....I miss Construct so much despite never playing it when it was around :(

I really, really like Shaddolls on the other hand. I picked it up really fast and spent an entire day playing it on YGOPro experimenting with builds.

....I miss Construct so much despite never playing it when it was around :(

I played a Shadoll/Lightsworn hybrid deck in Legacy of the Duelist. It was really good, and really fun, but it'd be pretty useless now since forbidden construct makes the deck pretty ineffectual

Fj0823

I guess the TCG gave up on names.
TDIL Sneak Peek Preview card is called "Magical Something"

Crystron Main Deck Monsters
https://ygorganization.com/rollingarundatthespeedofrocks/

Crystron Synchros
https://ygorganization.com/inov-crystron-synchros/

Its probably a card about love or friendship. That would make that name fitting.

Now the Spanish translations ooooooooh boy, going from Golden Ladybug to "La Vaca de San Antonio Dorada" is quite something.

Thankfully most of the product here is from the US.

Top Bottom