• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launches: Microsoft Xbox (November 15, 2001)

Previous threads:

Super NES (1991)
Sega Dreamcast (1999)
Playstation Portable (2005)
Microsoft Xbox 360 (2005)
Sony Playstation 4 (2013)

jREvYqX.jpg

Original huge controller:

q51I1NV.png

From the pre-orders, long lines on launch day, surprise Christmas presents, and anticipation for new technology, console/handheld launches can be some of the most times as a gamer.

Some launches produce classic games. Some launches produce a lot of good games. Some launches, you look back and think, "There really wasn't much, was there?" I've put together the launches at the bottom of the post for the US, Europe and Asia.

My experience:

Man, back in the day, I used to rag on this launch just because I was a wee teenager and into that fanboy stuff, but it was legitimately a good launch. Considering Xbox had no brand recognition, my instincts would say it really needed a great launch and something like Halo to make a big splash. On the other hand, the PS1's launch wasn't that varied or impressive yet the Playstation brand became a monster.

But that may have had more going for it as far as timing (launched before the N64) and price ($100 cheaper than a Saturn). Still, it didn't really explode until later, but with competition not being strong, I think it could get away with it more than Microsoft could, so perhaps with the GC's launch nearby and the PS2 having already been released, it really did need a launch like this.

I received an Xbox as a surprise gift in Christmas 2002, with Jet Set Radio Future as the game that came with it. You know, I never got into the Xbox as much, and my brother and I eventually traded my Xbox for his PS2. Overall, it was a good trade for both of us as he really got into the online sphere, and we played a lot on Xbox Connect before Xbox Live became a thing.

4x4 EVO 2
AirForce Delta Storm
Arctic Thunder

hngBqbd.png

Cel Damage
Dark Summit

vvnUmRF.png

Tmx8knz.png

9sBcFTq.png

Dead or Alive 3
Fuzion Frenzy
Halo: Combat Evolved
Mad Dash Racing
Madden NFL 2002
NASCAR Heat 2002
NASCAR Thunder 2002

O6JgWBq.png

NFL Fever 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02

RkkFi1q.png

ef28VaB.png

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Project Gotham Racing
Shrek
Test Drive Off-Road Wide Open
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
TransWorld Surf

Japanese launch: February 22, 2002

AirForce Delta Storm
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding
Dead or Alive 3
ESPN International Winter Sports 2002
ESPN Winter X-Games Snowboarding 2002
Genma Onimusha
Jet Set Radio Future
Nobunaga no Yabou: Ranseiki
Project Gotham Racing
Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
Sneakers
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions

European launch: March 14, 2002

4x4 EVO 2
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding
Batman: Vengeance
Blood Wake
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Dead or Alive 3
Fuzion Frenzy
Halo: Combat Evolved
Jet Set Radio Future
Mad Dash Racing
Max Payne
NBA Live 2002
NHL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Project Gotham Racing
Rallisport Challenge
Shrek
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
TransWorld Surf
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions

krang

Anybody else remember that news story about an Xbox surviving an angry gamer literally shooting it? It just ricocheted off.

That's one hell of a console.

Bioshocker

This is the only console I have pre-ordered. I got it day one on the European launch, which was March 14 2002. Expensive as hell it was, I paid 5000 SEK for it (which would've been about €550 had it been around back then, I don't know what that equals in todays currency). Then they slashed the price to 3500 SEK, and those of us who had paid the full price got two games and an extra controller. Which was OK.

After being a Sega fanboy for years, Xbox felt to me like the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. I laughed when I saw the this behemoth standing next to my small Dreamcast. But I loved it. Got Halo, Project Gotham Racing, and the DVD remote (60 bucks just for that). Soon I bought Dead or Alive 3 as well, and besides Halo nothing showed what the Xbox could really do early as good as DoA 3. What a stunning looking game. I remember showing it off to people at home, they were all impressed.

What I loved most about the Xbox console was its harddrive. No more memory cards! This machine was reliable, both as game console and DVD player. I still have it 15 years later and it's working just fine.

Besides playing Halo I think Xbox was a great racing console. I played PGR 2, RalliSport Challenge 2 and OutRun 2 like crazy. Looking back now I can see that Xbox didn't have the variety PS2 did. Most of all I missed a really good platformer. I was so desperate I traded Silent Hill 2 in for Blinx (worst trade ever).

Xbox was, and has continued to be, primarily about action, racing and sports.

This is the only console I have pre-ordered. I got it day one on the European launch, which was March 14 2002. Expensive as hell it was, I paid 5000 SEK for it (which would've been about €550 had it been around back then, I don't know what that equals in todays currency). Then they slashed the price to 3500 SEK, and those of us who had paid the full price got two games and an extra controller. Which was OK.

After being a Sega fanboy for years, Xbox felt to me like the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. I laughed when I saw the this behemoth standing next to my small Dreamcast. But I loved it. Got Halo, Project Gotham Racing, and the DVD remote (60 bucks just for that). Soon I bought Dead or Alive 3 as well, and besides Halo nothing showed what the Xbox could really do early as good as DoA 3. What a stunning looking game. I remember showing it off to people at home, they were all impressed.

What I loved most about the Xbox console was its harddrive. No more memory cards! This machine was reliable, both as game console and DVD player. I still have it 15 years later and it's working just fine.

Besides playing Halo I think Xbox was a great racing console. I played PGR 2, RalliSport Challenge 2 and OutRun 2 like crazy. Looking back now I can see that Xbox didn't have the variety PS2 did. Most of all I missed a really good platformer. I was so desperate I traded Silent Hill 2 in for Blinx (worst trade ever).

Xbox was, and has continued to be, primarily about action, racing and sports.

I remember many comparisons with the Dreamcast controller. I think the handles were one, and jokes that they replaced the controller card with a big Xbox logo.

But while Sega did support all three consoles when it went pure software, I always did feel like that gave a lot to the Xbox in comparison. You had your Panzer Dragoon Orta, your Jet Set Radio Future, your Toejam and Earl, your House of the Dead sequel, Sega GT, Shenmue II, and it got all the other stuff the other consoles got like Crazy Taxi and the 2K series.

I know the PS2 got Virtua Fighter 4 and Rez and Shinobi and Yakuza and the GC got Skies of Arcadia and Sonic, but they seemed to really like the Xbox.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Nintendo fanboy through and through. Liked my PS3 more than my X360. Haven't touched my Xbox One in over a year.

I ignored the Xbox at launch, and camped out for a GameCube... which, fwiw, I did really enjoy.

But unexpectedly - the original Xbox is my favorite console of all time. Edging out the Dreamcast and N64, even if barely. It was the last time we got a system that was, on every single metric, way better than the competition and really ahead of its time, even against PCs.

Built in broadband in 2001. Damn.
Built in hard drive.
Crazy good graphics. Splinter Cell CT looks a generation better than anything on PS2.

And just amazing game after amazing game... that all felt "new."

Halo
PGR
Crimson skies
Otogi
JSRF
Motherfucking KOTOR
Shenmue II
All those great Tom Clancy games

Plus Rare games... which, admittedly, ended up pretty much sucking, but it sure was interesting at the time.

gweemz

Still upset that I was such an anti-microsoft fanboy, so I didn't get an Xbox until after playing Halo 2 and realizing that I absolutely needed that game. Missed out on Halo:CE and it is a shame.

MC Safety

I was sick as a dog, but camped out on the couch because the Xbox was coming.

Microsoft sent me a debug unit to help with Xbox Nation's first issue. I remember I got a handful of discs, and the debug unit was translucent green.

I got to play and beat Oddworld, Cel Damage, and a few others before the system was out to the public. And then, when I'd shotgunned through all those games, and wrote the reviews, I had to take a picture of myself for the magazine's masthead. I'm no Brad Pitt under the best circumstances. Pukey, sleep-deprived me was like something out of a horror show.

I joined the Xbox Nation staff officially with issue 2. It was a great magazine, and I wish we'd made more.

flashbacks of Halo co-op interspersed by sessions of Star Wars Episode 1: Obi Wan. But seriously, OG Xbox was such an awesome console with a unique vibe to its diverse first party lineup. A far cry from the severe sequelitis the Xbox One suffers from.

Original Xbox represented a true console alternative in a bunch of ways that simply aren't possible any longer now that their competitors have largely caught up: the hard drive, broadband, the horsepower, the PC ports (Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 ran on this and weren't too comprosmised...but why would you play either when you have Halo: CE available?). Compare the extra hardware you needed to get for something like FFXI on PS2 or PSO on gamecube compared to just plugging ethernet into the back and plugging the headset into the controller, which had a breakaway cable in case you accidentally yanked it.

Got mine for Xmas 2003 with JSRF and Sega GT. Immediately retired my PS2 because after playing FFX and Xenosaga, I was pretty much ready to depart from the JRPGs I grew up with the on the original playstation. All multiplats were bought for the xbox. Soul Calibur 2's loading times on PS2 compared to Xbox.... ugh.

The extra power and hard drive also allowed Japanese developers to experiment on the console as well, and nearly every major publisher and developer outside of some of the exclusive hold outs like Square-Enix have an exclusive xbox title in their portfolio (of varying quality).

The xbox brand started out as something forward thinking, powerful, and alternative. They've struggled to find ways to replicate that mood in the current gen. Forza Horizon 3 might be the only game in their current lineup that still represents those things.

My favorite home console, I remember getting one and just having a blast with it. At launch I got Halo: Combat Evolved, Project Gotham Racing, Dead or Alive 3 and Madden NFL. Can't put into words how much I love this console and its games.

Fuzion frenzy. Wish they made more games like this for parties. The best part was you could play and not even try to win, but beat up or mess up the other players just so they don't win.

theWB27

Went from Nintendo to Xbox. Still don't think I've been wowed by visuals like i was with splinter cell. That lighting was unbelievable. It was the first time, for me, that lighting played as important a role in a game as any other component you could name.

Forza was my first sim-ish racer. Really did like how you picked a region and got cars from that area. If you wanted cars from other regions it would cost more.

My hands are big enough to have appreciated the duke. Good controller.

I was sick as a dog, but camped out on the couch because the Xbox was coming.

Microsoft sent me a debug unit to help with Xbox Nation's first issue. I remember I got a handful of discs, and the debug unit was translucent green.

I got to play and beat Oddworld, Cel Damage, and a few others before the system was out to the public. And then, when I'd shotgunned through all those games, and wrote the reviews, I had to take a picture of myself for the magazine's masthead. I'm no Brad Pitt under the best circumstances. Pukey, sleep-deprived me was like something out of a horror show.

I joined the Xbox Nation staff officially with issue 2. It was a great magazine, and I wish we'd made more.

How cool is that! Thanks for sharing, man.

But unexpectedly - the original Xbox is my favorite console of all time. Edging out the Dreamcast and N64, even if barely. It was the last time we got a system that was, on every single metric, way better than the competition and really ahead of its time, even against PCs.

Agreed. I was a big PS2 guy and feel it's one of the best systems, but as far as tech, Xbox was really something. Even the GC, which was the last Nintendo system that felt powerful and produced some beautiful games like Resident Evil, was behind in other areas like internet capabilities and lack of a hard drive.

Fuzion frenzy. Wish they made more games like this for parties. The best part was you could play and not even try to win, but beat up or mess up the other players just so they don't win.

You know, sometimes I feel that way with New Super Mario Bros. multiplayer. My friend would mess me up all the time, and I'd tell him, "Dude, this is co-op," and he'd go, "Naw, man, it's every man for himself!" lmao

¡HarlequinPanic!;244334376 said:
Got mine for Xmas 2002 with JSRF and Sega GT. Immediately retired my PS2 because after playing FFX and Xenosaga, I was pretty much ready to depart from the JRPGs I grew up with the on the original playstation.

That reminds me of my brother. In his case, he was never a big JRPG person, which means at the time, he wasn't an RPG person. But he loved Knights of the Old Republic and realized he did like RPGs, just not the turn-based ones like Final Fantasy.

Bioshocker

I know the PS2 got Virtua Fighter 4 and Rez and Shinobi and Yakuza and the GC got Skies of Arcadia and Sonic, but they seemed to really like the Xbox.

They did. It also shows how many games Sega had in development at different stages when Dreamcast was discontinued.

Got a Gamecube at launch and after 2 weeks, i regret my purchase. I was done with Luigi Mansion, Wave Race and Monkey Ball. Then i sold my Gamecube and got the Xbox, best decision i've ever made. I was blown away with PGR, DOA 3, Halo, Fusion Frenzy... I was officially an Xbox fan. Loved everything about the system, power, controller, hard disk and later Xbox Live. I remember playing Street Fighter 3rd Strike on Xbox Live and how it was smooth...

As a huge SEGA fan, the Xbox felt like a spiritual successor to SEGA philosophy in gaming which is arcade games, action games, sports and racers which are all genre that i love.

Still love the Xbox brand but i can't lie, this gen with the Xbox One has been a little disappointing games wise. Xbox used to have those unique experiences, especially for the first Xbox.

The best console launch ever (for a domestic launch) and also one of my fav consoles of all time. Playing Halo was out of this world and the graphics and sound in titles like PGR and DOA III were a huge leap, just loved being able to race around in PGR with my own ripped soundtrack.

Amazing system

Zaki2407

I remembered the first time xbox being sold at the local gamestore at my country. It was roughly US$1.000 for the console and 3 games included. I waited for about a year and bought it with a more reasonable price.

Phediuk

Excellent launch. Played a lot of Halo, PGR, Dead or Alive 3, and Oddworld.

No one was expecting the Xbox to overshadow the Gamecube at the time. I remember people being shocked when Halo outscored and outsold Luigi's Mansion.

Phediuk

You could make a good case for Halo being the most fully-featured, exclusive, made-from-the-ground-up launch game ever, for any console.

Dougald

As a wee fanboy I ragged on this launch for a good month until I played Halo. I'm not sure there will ever be as revolutionary a launch title again. Jet Set Radio future was excellent as well

I ended up getting one and spending the next 3 or so years of my teenage life organising Halo LAN parties.

Excellent launch. Playyed a lot of Halo, PGR, Dead or Alive 3, and Oddworld.

No one was expecting the Xbox to overshadow the Gamecube at the time. I remember people being shocked when Halo outscored and outsold Luigi's Mansion.

I remember getting into an argument with someone when I said Halo outsold Super Smash Bros. The response was a contrite, "No, it did not," and I had to quote this person the NPD numbers from a recent EGM magazine that said yes, indeed, Halo outsold Super Smash. =P

It made no difference to me, but it was a huge deal at the time.

You could make a good case for Halo being the most fully-featured, exclusive, made-from-the-ground-up launch game ever, for any console.

You could make a case for Halo and Mario 64, imo. Most launches don't have games like that; I think the biggest ones overall are those two and Mario World, though Mario 64 represented a bigger shift and change in gaming than Mario World which, while a phenomenal game that has aged wonderfully, was more an expansion of 3 than a departure like 64.

It'll be fun when we get to the Vita. For a system that never really reached its peak, it had a pretty damn good launch.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I didn't pick up an Xbox until the Jet Set Radio Future bundle with Sega GT, and the superior controller S. Man, what system! With its HDD and superior graphical power and HD games I felt like king shit. We bought our first HDTV at that time and I was blown away by DoA3.
The system truly had a fantastic library and was built like a tank. Outside of the pack in games, Halo was my first purchase.

Nothing but great memories.

I was busy in the army when it launched so I missed it. What attention I paid to video games was focused on the GameCube. Halo was huge while I was in the army so I knew I would buy one but waited until KotOR came out.

TAS

Xbox was a monster of a system and technologically far ahead of the competition. This was MS at their best IMO. Up until that point, I was Nintendo exclusive (I was fiercely loyal in those days 😂) but Ninja Gaiden alone forced me to purchase the system. What an experience!

Traded in my PS2 and a few games towards this, got the console and Halo on launch day... kinda regretted getting rid of my PS2 for a few weeks or so.
Got the free pad, PGR2 and DOA2 when they dropped the price in the uk

Halo, Amped, JSRF, Rallisport Challenge. Great console.

One of my favorite teenage memories is spending an entire summer vacation playing JSRF. It was such a perfect summer game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The original Xbox is the only MS console launch I've been impressed by. The games around launch didn't feel like what was on other consoles, nor did they feel like PC games -- the system was kind of its own thing. It was cool.

I remember the Xbox having this sort of mysticism about it leading up to launch for me and my peers. This newcomer built by computer-giant Microsoft that was supposed to have insane power and kind of blow away its' competitors from that point of view. I remember thinking games like NFL Fever looked absolutely amazing.

I don't think the hype necessarily matched with what actually came out, but it was a great system nevertheless. I had a lot of fun with it.

The first Xbox is still my favorite Xbox by a long shot. Playstation was always my main console, but back in the days the Xbox was a fantastic counter part with so many other great games to play. 360 at first was the same thanks to all the exclusive JRPGs, but felt short after that. And my Xbox One only collects dust. Zero reason to play anything on that system beeing no fan of Halo, Gears of Forza.

Oozer3993

I will ride for the Duke forever. And I have tiny Trump hands. And Tony Hawk 2X might be the best Tony Hawk game. Best looking version of the game and had a metric ton of extra levels, including, if I remember correctly, every level from Tony Hawk 1.

Novocaine

I got mine later in the cycle for "free" with an Ericsson T100. I was supposed to get a free PS2 but they gave me a voucher and I paid a little extra and got an Xbox with Halo and PGR. Admittedly I gave Halo shit at first bring a PC master race fanboy. I thought the massive crosshairs were dumb and the lack of hold able weapons being limited to 2 was silly. Although nowadays it's one of my favorite games, it's held up extremely well. PGR giving me points for driving like a crazy person was one of the coolest things. Splinter Cell looked fucking amazing.

shandy706

Was waiting in line day one. Such awesome hardware for the money.

I was also a PC Gamer and was blown away by the Xbox.

Nyoro SF

Great console. I didn't get it on launch, but I remember the Halo hype sweeping among my friends and acquaintances back then, so my brother picked up the console and a few crappy not-Halo games like Star Wars: Obi-Wan. Like other posters have said, games looked so good on Xbox it was really breathtaking. Even multiplat games like Tony Hawk looked better.

And I loved the huge controller. I have big hands and it worked perfectly for me. Also I'm still aggrieved that no other console manufacturer ever did the diagonal face buttons again, as I still say that it's the most comfortable layout for games.

Great console. I didn't get it on launch, but I remember the Halo hype sweeping among my friends and acquaintances back then, so my brother picked up the console and a few crappy not-Halo games like Star Wars: Obi-Wan. Like other posters have said, games looked so good on Xbox it was really breathtaking. Even multiplat games like Tony Hawk looked better.

And I loved the huge controller. I have big hands and it worked perfectly for me. Also I'm still aggrieved that no other console manufacturer ever did the diagonal face buttons again, as I still say that it's the most comfortable layout for games.

I remember when there was word of GTA3 going to the Xbox and the big arguments that happened.

Person A: You can get Halo and GTA3 on the Xbox, or you can get GTA3 on the PS2.
Person B: You can get Halo and GTA3 on the Xbox, or you can get GTA3, FFX, Devil May Cry, Twisted Metal Black, Gran Turismo 3, Dark Cloud, ICO, Ace Combat 04 and Jak and Daxter on the PS2.
Persona A: What are you talking about?

Ah, those fanboy wars. ^_^

Top Bottom