• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launches: Microsoft Xbox (November 15, 2001)

BiggNife

Xbox launch was pretty good, though Halo was unquestionably the showstopper. DOA3 is a really fun game that still holds up.

Didn't Microsoft actually expect Munch's Oddysee to be a big system seller? Funny how things turn out.

A great machine. Very fond memories played Morrowind for six months straight. Halo 1 and 2 obviously. Met a few good friends on Halo 2 who I still speak to too this day.

I even enjoyed Brute Force.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It had an amazing collection of fighting games as well.

Dead or alive 3
DOA Ultimate
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Capcom vs SNK 2 EO
SF anniversary collection
SVC Chaos
Samurai Showdown 5
And more

In addition to the cool stuff like Sega GT 2002, JSRF, Metal Slug 5, and much more.

Q--_-

Not sure exactly when I got my OG Xbox, but I definitely remember it being around the time xbox live became a thing. I played a ton of Star Wars the Clone Wars online which was the game that came with my console and made it into the top 5 in the world in the game. Not much of an achievement, but I was damn good at that game.

This was my first foray really into online gaming, and when I got counter-strike and halo 2 for this thing my days were filled with online gaming. I still remember being hated on by brits in halo 2 because I was american and never understood the hate. I was prolly 10 when this was going on so maybe they hated that I was a squeaker, but whatever the reason I still loved this system and playing online with random people from around the world.

I also love to give a shout out to splinter cell chaos theory's online play (this is where I played it) that game sure gave me my bang for my bucks.

Allforce

I remember switching from PS2 to XBox around 2002 because I was like 23, just bought my first house and the first thing I bought was a giant (I mean literally, it was a floor-standing rear-projection) 55" HDTV.

I was fascinated with HD and PS2 had like 3 games that could run at 720p at best (maybe SSX did 1080i? I can't recall) But XBox had a ton of games that ran in HD (or at least quasi-HD, 480p/1080i was the norm back then) so I sold off everything Sony and made the switch.

Xbox launch was pretty good, though Halo was unquestionably the showstopper. DOA3 is a really fun game that still holds up.

Didn't Microsoft actually expect Munch's Oddysee to be a big system seller? Funny how things turn out.

There was a big argument on the PSX Extreme boards back in the day where the owner of the site had some thread or discussion about Oddworld and its leaving the Playstation, and Lorne Lanning actually made an account to defend Microsoft, said that they and Bill Gates know what they're doing, and there was a heated argument since the owner of the site thought the rug was pulled from under him since it was initially announced for the PS2, and he decided to cancel it and move it to another system.

I feel that argument would have been big news and word of it would have spread to many message boards had it happened now, but I only remember seeing it because I posted on the boards.

I remember switching from PS2 to XBox around 2002 because I was like 23, just bought my first house and the first thing I bought was a giant (I mean literally, it was a floor-standing rear-projection) 55" HDTV.

I was fascinated with HD and PS2 had like 3 games that could run at 720p at best (maybe SSX did 1080i? I can't recall) But XBox had a ton of games that ran in HD (or at least quasi-HD, 480p/1080i was the norm back then) so I sold off everything Sony and made the switch.

God, you should have seen my face when I finally got component cables for my PS2. The colors popped out some more, and I'd go to my friends, "Hey, look at the improvements to the color! Man, the colors look so nice," but they couldn't really see a huge difference and didn't know how to respond to me. xD

Top Bottom