• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

I'm playing through the original Prey (got it from that PlayAsia deal linked to in the last thread) and damn, why didn't anyone tell me this was so great?

It's a shame that the parties involved can't or won't relist it.

It think because it's mainly because the game is basically gone so it's really hard to recommend

Hektor

I don't know if this is fake or not, but I found a game on Steam that has Destiny 1 silver as purchaseable currency. These were uploaded to Steam on 2017-03-02.

https://steamdb.info/app/347300/items/

KqjP4Ej.png

hpOJ9Jz.png

Given the date i would imagine that is from a steam version they prepared, before deciding to make it Battle.net exclusive?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With AC Origins looming, I should probably try to finish Rogue, Unity DLC as well as Syndicate. Oh and Freedom Cry, almost forgot that one.

Gotta get that sweet AC lore.

I'd like to finish Liberation HD before Origins hits. It's not a mainline entry, but Black Flag's DDE comes with a handful of missions featuring Aveline, so I figured I'd put them on the backburner until I was done with LibHD. I was close to completing the game back in early 2014 but lost my save thanks to GameSaveManager, of all things -- the then current version had a premature entry for LibHD that pointed to the config file but had zero support for save files.

Grief.exe

Sometimes Valve pushes a change to all apps that can cause people to believe that an older game is being updated, but these are different. It's a bit strange to have 5-10 updates monthly.

Drakhyrr

So I just finished the For Honor campaign. Just in time, as the free weekend ends in a few hours.

Took me about 7 hours. Overall I found it to be... Not bad. The story is not very strong, but good enough to be better than nothing. The graphics were great, though I wish you could disable chromatic aberration.

The gameplay is... Weird. I think even after all this time, I couldn't quite grasp it, and would probably be horribly massacred in multiplayer, if I was into that. It is kind of QTE-ish, but slightly different, I'm not entirely sure I'd call it that. I can definitely see why people abandoned the game soon after launch, though. I don't think I'd be able to handle it for much longer. There's just not enough variety in this kind of gameplay to make it interesting for too long.

I'd recommend this for people who liked Ryse, for what it was. Of course, if you're in for just the campaign and missed the free weekend, I recommend waiting for another, or for a severe price drop.

Sometimes Valve pushes a change to all apps that can cause people to believe that an older game is being updated, but these are different. It's a bit strange to have 5-10 updates monthly.

Yeah, this is why you need to click on the change number. If it's multiple apps, it's Valve. If it's not, it's the devs.

I don't think that's Destiny. Notice how the icons are sourced from three different domains (Bungie.net, PSN and XBL) not to mention a belated port this late makes little sense. If today were a year ago, I'd be a little less sceptical.

Someone playing a trick then ?

fuzaco

Destiny on Steam makes no sense. The only way it could happen if it's like Ubisoft games with uPlay, and you still need Battle.net to launch the game, but I don't see Acti/Blizz doing that.

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
My guess would be an indie dev has borrowed Destiny's silver microtransactions to test Steam Wallet and Steam Inventory Service integration.

Most devs just have hats as their test data because Steamworks documentation has an easy to copy example. Destiny fake is a little more work.

Parsnip

I'd like to finish Liberation HD before Origins hits. It's not a mainline entry, but Black Flag's DDE comes with a handful of missions featuring Aveline, so I figured I'd put them on the backburner until I was done with LibHD. I was close to completing the game back in early 2014 but lost my save thanks to GameSaveManager, of all things -- the then current version had a premature entry for LibHD that pointed to the config file but had zero support for save files.

Yeah, back then I actually made a custom entry in GSM to backup the entire Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames folder, just to be sure I didn't lose any saves.
The Aveline mission is short but neat if I remember right.

JaseC

Most devs just have hats as their test data because Steamworks documentation has an easy to copy example. Destiny fake is a little more work.

Yeah, but these units of "silver" are presumably tied to an actual in-game currency.

Tizoc

I am at Ep. 2 of Twin Peaks Season 1
These cops REALLY like their donuts

Dave Cooper is awesome and I am starting to see the Deadly Premonition similarities/inspirations.

That Tibet scene though....

Ludens

Banned
I am at Ep. 2 of Twin Peaks Season 1
These cops REALLY like their donuts

Dave Cooper is awesome and I am starting to see the Deadly Premonition similarities/inspirations.

That Tibet scene though....

I'm also re-watching it but I really think the show is overrated.
I mean, I love it but I only love the Lynch scenes, the main mystery going on and what's under the skin, but sadly there are also plenty of useless and badly acted love scenes, side plots which really don't bring anything good to the show. Expecially, season 2 is just garbage if not for a couple of episodes.

Season 3 otherwise is PURE Lynch and that's the reason I'm loving it, it's simply the "best" of Twin Peaks and Lynch knows it, luckily for us.

AHA-Lambda

Just walked out of A Ghost Story

What a load of shit.
I'm going to go home and play games now (just to keep it thread relevant).

Edit: ah yes, checking reviews, of course it had to be critically acclaimed >_>

Plesiades

Just walked out of A Ghost Story

What a load of shit.
I'm going to go home and play games now (just to keep it thread relevant).

Edit: ah yes, checking reviews, of course it had to be critically acclaimed >_>

An A24 production with Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck sounds pretty good.

AHA-Lambda

An A24 production with Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck sounds pretty good.

Yeah, it SOUNDS good...
Basically nothing through what I did see of it had anything actually happening. Fair few others I noticed walked out as well but maybe it's just me and I didn't get it >__>

shockdude

One Finger Death Punch is fun. The difficulty is ramping up already, and I can tell it's gonna be insanity by the end.

Are there any bonuses for playing at the higher speeds?

jtb

Banned
Yeah, it SOUNDS good...
Basically nothing through what I did see of it had anything actually happening. Fair few others I noticed walked out as well but maybe it's just me and I didn't get it >__>

Isn't it supposed to be very Malick-y? Now I just want to see it more

Another day without internet connection in my home so instead of playing Path of Exile I'm still playing Paint it Back, when I finish a master puzzle I feel ao smart. Today I played mostly F:NV, the game is ugly, crashes, is janky but I love it. It seems like every time I start a new playthrough I end discovering a new place or quest that I did not have done before.

JaseC

Ffs. It's not even about fixing GI. It's like just a simple thing.

HD towns patches are hard.

It's been a bit over a month since Squeenix's last statement and the game's Steam app is as quiet as ever. It's never going to be patched again (well, unless another piece of DLC is on the horizon and some prep work needs to be done).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
One Finger Death Punch is fun. The difficulty is ramping up already, and I can tell it's gonna be insanity by the end.

Are there any bonuses for playing at the higher speeds?

None given. Increased speed is for a higher challenge, getting through levels faster, improved skill.

There is a bonus of a golden sword that can randomly appear on certain stages, usually survivals, when you are at one health to give you one last chance, but that's about it.

jtb

Banned
I haven't seen anything Malick yet actually, not my cup of tea I'd guess :/
But go for it I'd say then!

Ha, in that case, you'll probably hate Malick's films.

Having said that, if you ever do, go in release order - his earliest films are gorgeous and only 80 minutes long (!!!) so you lose a lot of the more tedious shots of leaves and grass

It's been a bit over a month since Squeenix's last statement and the game's Steam app is as quiet as ever. It's never going to be patched again (well, unless another piece of DLC is on the horizon and some prep work needs to be done).

Well, their last statement is them working hard with Nvidia and AMD. I guess it's only about crashes and not for the fullscreen fix. Meh, anyway, Durante's improvements on AO and Bloom made FAR a mandate anyway.

When asked for an update on this, a Square Enix representative offered Eurogamer the following statement:

"Square Enix and PlatinumGames are working with PC device manufacturers, like AMD, to address the issues with the Steam version of the game because some of the issues are not what Square Enix and PlatinumGames alone can resolve fundamentally. "

Hektor

YT left the team shortly after release of the first DLC, so that's not going to happen.

While we're talking about the port, did ya'll know that playing it at 30FPS makes certain sidequests unbeatable? yea

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245865412&postcount=597
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245866424&postcount=599

Shame on you SE
and on everyone who prefers 30FPS

jtb

Banned
I found Prey 06 to be really bland when I played it way back in the day.

Calling the new Prey "Prey" was a mindnumbingly stupid decision and I have no idea why they did that other than to justify Bethseda's dumb purchase of the Prey IP only to not do anything with it for a decade.

A Max Payne 3, if you will

zkylon

zkylewd
You like Fidel's engine, I see.

Edit: Fidel is made with Haxe.
fidel is made with haxe, not haxeflixel (that's the one i'm using), which is a port of a a popular flash games engine called flixel

argieland gamedev scene has deep flash roots, so haxe is kind of popular here

illusionary

Having just received my latest credit card statement, I see that Amazon.com have taken full advance payment for the $9.99 order that I managed to place for XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. I don't have any problem with this - in fact, it makes me somewhat more hopeful that they'll fulfil the order - just a little surprised, given that they say the following:

We won't charge you for the pre-order until release day, and will send you an e-mail to confirm when the item is available in Your Games and Software Library. If you'd like to cancel your pre-order before release day, go to Your Games and Software Library and click Cancel pre-order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/cust...e=UTF8&nodeId=201380120&qid=1502653777&sr=1-1

zkylon

zkylewd
I found Prey 06 to be really bland when I played it way back in the day.

Calling the new Prey "Prey" was a mindnumbingly stupid decision and I have no idea why they did that other than to justify Bethseda's dumb purchase of the Prey IP only to not do anything with it for a decade.

A Max Payne 3, if you will

i think it's something to do with ip laws or something

like if u don't use the name in x years you lose it

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've been working on this in my spare time the last few days, so, as an update to the 25th Anniversary thread posted back in July 2014, here is the current list of everyone who has posted in every Steam thread:

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

From 26 down to 5 over the course of 3 years.

Congratulations! We're at the point now where one of us is probably going to have to die for the list to change.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait...

The new client is coming within a few weeks!?

(I know in Valve time this probably means 2018)

I've been working on this in my spare time the last few days, so, as an update to the 25th Anniversary thread posted back in July 2014, here is the current list of everyone who has posted in every Steam thread:

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

From 26 down to 5 over the course of 3 years.

Congratulations! We're at the point now where one of us is probably going to have to die for the list to change.

How many of the remaining 21 are banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom