• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Ohnonono

Started a Caphius Cain novel. Such a strange tone compared to the other 40K stuff but also tons better than most of it. So far Abbnett and Mitchell seem to be the most readable stuff.

Jarnet87

warhammer-40000-space6hu96.jpg

Is this a new style of plastic kit that the models come in? I remember the plastic marines and eldars I bought were the multi sheets where you had to put everything together basically.

I was so bad at putting models together and painting them. Was only 9 or 10 years old, I wish I had taken the time to really learn how to assemble and paint them.

Edit: Nvm just looks like this particular sku is built that way.

Ohnonono

warhammer-40000-space6hu96.jpg

Is this a new style of plastic kit that the models come in? I remember the plastic marines and eldars I bought were the multi sheets where you had to put everything together basically.

I was so bad at putting models together and painting them. Was only 9 or 10 years old, I wish I had taken the time to really learn how to assemble and paint them.

That is a simplified kit for beginners. The normal kit has a lot more parts and you can do a ton more with it.

I have a HQ space marine that is all I have left from my warhammer stuff I should paint up and post. Maybe by next week.

Anyone order the limited edition versions of the new Space Marine codex?

I missed out on the Ultra one so grabbed an iron hands, still part of Roboute's Dauntless few chapters so its not a bad second choice!

Grabbed the Salamanders version of the book. Considering ordering some Centurions at some point, but I want to give the book a read and see their cost/options first. Definitely want the new Sternguard box, even though I generally have 0 interest in actually running sternguard. So many options!

Ohnonono

I am going to SLOWLY start to build a marine force. My problem last time with just buying too much at once and getting really overwhelmed. One unit at a time and paint them up should hopefully keep that at bay.

I would love to run Guard but the $ investment is insane cause their troops are so cheap.

I am going to SLOWLY start to build a marine force. My problem last time with just buying too much at once and getting really overwhelmed. One unit at a time and paint them up should hopefully keep that at bay.

I would love to run Guard but the $ investment is insane cause their troops are so cheap.

Also check eBay. Honestly I rarely buy direct from GW because their prices are so high. You could also try something like TheWarStore.com, although ordering GW stuff from them is a bit more complicated than your usual shopping cart. They usually offer ~20% off though.

And I definitely feel you on the "overwhelmed by models" thing. GW had a special gaunt box with 120 gaunts in it awhile back. Mine aren't even off the sprues yet.

Ohnonono

Also check eBay. Honestly I rarely buy direct from GW because their prices are so high. You could also try something like TheWarStore.com, although ordering GW stuff from them is a bit more complicated than your usual shopping cart. They usually offer ~20% off though.

And I definitely feel you on the "overwhelmed by models" thing. GW had a special gaunt box with 120 gaunts in it awhile back. Mine aren't even off the sprues yet.

My FLGS does 20% off GW stuff so getting it for cheaper is pretty easy. Yeah I would never pay full retail for GW stuff, its very easy to get at least 20% off even new from most places.

I haven't played Warhammer for a long, long time but I have thought about it in recent times. So how does it work, nowadays? Is it all plastic or are the tin models still around? Because I hated those.

I haven't played Warhammer for a long, long time but I have thought about it in recent times. So how does it work, nowadays? Is it all plastic or are the tin models still around? Because I hated those.

Mostly plastic, though a few older models are still metal. Those are generally direct order only now. There's also "Finecast", which is a resin that I believe is also being phased out in favor of plastic. The new SM releases, for instance, are all plastic.

Mostly plastic, though a few older models are still metal. Those are generally direct order only now. There's also "Finecast", which is a resin that I believe is also being phased out in favor of plastic. The new SM releases, for instance, are all plastic.

Good. I especially hated the metal ones because you couldn't really modify them. After I lost interest in playing the game I thought about just painting and especially modifying them a lot, because I always loved that. Especially with the Space Marines, as you could really make every miniature it's own if you just put the time and effort in. Back then I played Blood Angels, but after I actively stopped playing I thought a lot about collecting Salamanders. The look of the Salamander Hides just really appeales to me. Another possibility were the Grey Knights, they also look fantastic. But in the end, common sense won. Maybe after I get my degree and I start earning some real money. But as a student, a Warhammer 40k collection is just too damned expensive.

Gonna have to hit up the used book stores to find a copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus that a) doesn't cost $40, and b) isn't filthy and covered in grime. Tall order.

I make decent money and would never consider starting a collection.

Well, you are probably right. I just looked at the GW site, and 40$ for a Space Marine tactical squad? That would probably translate to 40€. When I started it cost 10 or 15€ less I think.

I mean seriously, GW, what the fuck? Are you actively trying to discourage people from playing the game?

Vhalyar

I just received my box of gargoyles and Vallejo paints, right on time for the weekend.
Probably the worst idea I've had this year, but oh well.

Ohnonono

FLGS is having a painting competition tomorrow night to win a copy of the new SM codex. They give you a primed black SM and you have one hour to paint it. May practice tonight on the one I have. I can paint well but an hour is REALLY fast for me.

Meteorain

I am one the lucky ones (??) that already have a bunch of spare models to paint and not get more to feed the need to make some.

Yeesh, a pack of 3 obliterators cost 41 euros in the store I went to. Fucking lol
Yeah, like I said, there are a variety of internet stores out there that sell at a discount. thewarstore.com does 20% off, as an example. eBay is another popular spot, especially as people get out of the hobby they tend to move whole armies at cheap prices. Out of the 8 total armies I have (6 for 40k, 2 for fantasy) I'd say under half of my models were GW direct purchases.

Almost finished with DoW II: Retribution single player. I'm a bit disappointed that each race's campaign are the same missions just presented a bit differently to give them a reason for being there.

I ended up going with the Space Marines again just because the first game and expansion were about them so I might as well see how their story ends.

Surprisingly there's a small community of players still active in the game.

Tacitus_

Yeah, like I said, there are a variety of internet stores out there that sell at a discount. thewarstore.com does 20% off, as an example. eBay is another popular spot, especially as people get out of the hobby they tend to move whole armies at cheap prices. Out of the 8 total armies I have (6 for 40k, 2 for fantasy) I'd say under half of my models were GW direct purchases.

It's not like I need to buy new models to paint. I just went there to pick up fresh brushes and looked at the models if there were any reasonable priced ones for impulse buys. Might go for a daytrip to Tallinn when I got some money saved up and check if there's any minis available there for cheap. Everything else tends to be cheaper there.

Leunam

It's not like I need to buy new models to paint. I just went there to pick up fresh brushes and looked at the models if there were any reasonable priced ones for impulse buys. Might go for a daytrip to Tallinn when I got some money saved up and check if there's any minis available there for cheap. Everything else tends to be cheaper there.

If I may, I'd suggest picking up Windsor Newton Series 7 brushes. I have the four smallest sizes and with moderate to little care they've lasted me about four or five years now. They're a little more expensive up front but they are quality and will last for a while.

Tacitus_

If I may, I'd suggest picking up Windsor Newton Series 7 brushes. I have the four smallest sizes and with moderate to little care they've lasted me about four or five years now. They're a little more expensive up front but they are quality and will last for a while.

I have no idea if those are available here. I'm terrible about caring for my shit so I tend to buy cheap anyway.

MjFrancis

Almost finished with DoW II: Retribution single player. I'm a bit disappointed that each race's campaign are the same missions just presented a bit differently to give them a reason for being there.

I ended up going with the Space Marines again just because the first game and expansion were about them so I might as well see how their story ends.

I was just checking this game out and I was surprised to see between 500 and 1,200 active players at any given time.

It's the only DoW II expansion I've tried since the others require GFWL. I'll be more willing to try them if (and/or when) they patch that out of the games.

If you're buying used models that are plastic or metal, they're generally pretty easy to strip the paint from. Almost as good as new then.

Yup, I use Dettol to strip minis here in the UK, it works great with both metal and plastic. I usually leave minis soaking in it for a day or so, then put on some rubber gloves and use a soft nail brush when cleaning the paint off - it comes off pretty easily but the paint is a bit gloopy and will stick to your fingers (gloves come in handy here).

Badly painted minis sometimes go for very cheap on eBay, take the paint off 'em and you've got a real bargain!

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9w6YA3LuA

Karakand

Gonna have to hit up the used book stores to find a copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus that a) doesn't cost $40, and b) isn't filthy and covered in grime. Tall order.

If you're ever near a B&N pop into their sci-fi series section, for some reason I have decent luck locating hella out of print releases that way.
BLACK LIBRARY!!!!!!!!

Not only are they all basically the same, but it makes the game feel really limited in scope as a result when really in the universe everything is going to fucking 11. Fighting
Kyras
at the end of Retribution in the Blood Raven campaign is far less satisfying than the last stand at the end of vanilla Dawn of War II even though it's the culmination of seven games' story. How do you screw things up that bad?

Retribution's other campaigns are so damn funny though. :(

I was really into The Last Stand in Retribution before I started fumbling my way through Dota 2. There's a certain catharsis and excitement to it, especially the Anvil of Khorne level.

Karakand

Prospero Burns: Well things sure escalated quickly at
Nikea
. O_O

Amon
had a certain... demonic character to him, did he get retconned into the poor Adeptus' Erebus or something?

I was just checking this game out and I was surprised to see between 500 and 1,200 active players at any given time.

It's the only DoW II expansion I've tried since the others require GFWL. I'll be more willing to try them if (and/or when) they patch that out of the games.

No GFWL is definitely a plus. Had so many problems with that in vanilla DoW II. After playing it again I really want a DoW III now. But THQ blew up so there's no chance of that.

If you're ever near a B&N pop into their sci-fi series section, for some reason I have decent luck locating hella out of print releases that way.
BLACK LIBRARY!!!!!!!!

Not only are they all basically the same, but it makes the game feel really limited in scope as a result when really in the universe everything is going to fucking 11. Fighting
Kyras
at the end of Retribution in the Blood Raven campaign is far less satisfying than the last stand at the end of vanilla Dawn of War II even though it's the culmination of seven games' story. How do you screw things up that bad?

Retribution's other campaigns are so damn funny though. :(

I was really into The Last Stand in Retribution before I started fumbling my way through Dota 2. There's a certain catharsis and excitement to it, especially the Anvil of Khorne level.

Things do feel kind of limited considering how they structured the campaign. Kind of takes the wind out of my sails when I play the other campaigns and realize the only reason they are there is because they just made up a reason so they wouldn't have to create unique campaigns.

Another thing that bothered me is
Martellus being alive and not with Chaos. In Chaos Rising he betrayed the Space Marines yet somehow here he is alive and well and not with Chaos.

I played a ton of Last Stand in vanilla DoW II. I'm totally up for a sequel but like I mentioned above THQ is gone and I have no idea where Relic is right now or if they are even in the position to develop a new game.

If a sequel were to happen I'd like it if it was structured like the Kingdom Under Fire games. You can move your troops around Total War style with a useful minimap. When your main commander unit engages in battle you can switch to a third person perspective and personally tear through enemies. That way you get that 40K close combat goodness but also the strategy part as well.

siddhu33

No GFWL is definitely a plus. Had so many problems with that in vanilla DoW II. After playing it again I really want a DoW III now. But THQ blew up so there's no chance of that.

Things do feel kind of limited considering how they structured the campaign. Kind of takes the wind out of my sails when I play the other campaigns and realize the only reason they are there is because they just made up a reason so they wouldn't have to create unique campaigns.

Martellus being alive and not with Chaos. In Chaos Rising he betrayed the Space Marines yet somehow here he is alive and well and not with Chaos.

I played a ton of Last Stand in vanilla DoW II. I'm totally up for a sequel but like I mentioned above THQ is gone and I have no idea where Relic is right now or if they are even in the position to develop a new game.

Umm...

]
The person who is tainted is decided by who's got the most chaos inside them.I got Jonah Orion in one play through, and Avitus in another

Sry, was using iPhone, tapped bold instead of spoiler. Hope nobody saw :p

Taffer

The traitor in CR is chosen based on whoever is the most corrupted of your units, he's the traitor if all your lads are pure when the traitor is revealed. Somewhere in Retribution the Ancient mentions fighting with the traitor on Kronus, the only two of them on Kronus were
Avitus and Tarkus (the Ancient in Retribution)

I still think of
Martellus
as the traitor though, the shit. You never forget your first traitor.

siddhu33

it seems the canonical ending is that
avitus is the traitor. This does sound about right, I remember him being a little too angry for a Space Marine...

Karakand

Martellus
didn't have a very compelling fall to Chaos, I can see why they went with
Avitus
instead (it doesn't hurt that his ties into
Dark Crusade
either!).
Tarkus
would have been the most interesting to go with, but unfortunately that wouldn't have really meshed with the
Kyras
plot.

I played Chaos Rising and Retribution before vanilla (don't ask) and
Avitus'
taint seemed a bit telegraphed in vanilla, actually. So badass in the final battle with the 'nids though. :(

e: Time for the best serious moment in Retribution? Yeah it's time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6JaV-jgFHM

I didn't know corruption affected who the traitor was. I kept everyone pure because I wanted the best ending.

Didn't
The Ancient (Tarkus) say on the Space Hulk that he killed the Force Commander? He said that there was another strong Space Marine like Diomedes and he slew him after Kyras tempted him. I don't remember Avitus being mentioned at all. I'll try to find that cutscene online.

Here's the cutscene.

According to the wiki it says the traitor is never named but it is either Avitus or Thaddeus considering Cyrus and Martellus are still alive in Retribution and Avitus definitely participated in the Kronus campaign. But the Force Commander was present for the Tyranid invasion so I don't see how it's not a possibility that Tarkus killed him.

Looking at the wiki for the Force Commander they don't list Tarkus killing him as any of his possible endings so I guess it is Avitus after all. The scene itself seems kind of misleading though. I really thought they were hinting at the FC as the Space Marine that Tarkus killed.

Taffer

While we're talking DoW stories, I was expecting some mention of what Gabe was up to between DoW & DoW2 - what happened with the
giant daemon Angelos released
?

Karakand

The
demon
in the Maledictum is what ultimately set
Kyras
down the path of betrayal. (
Ulkair
was just the fluffer, lulz.)

Why a
demon of Khorne
is interested in a
psyker
is beyond me, but you gotta tie that shit together son, and it's not like it had a problem with
SINDRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Fou-Lu

There's a lot of kickstarters for miniature games that I'd be interested in backing to get some minis to paint for cheap. Unfortunately a lot of the time those same kickstarters don't have much in the way of examples so you don't know what you'd get out of them.

Tacitus_

Making some nice progress on my Daemon Prince. Oughta pick up some glue and glue the legs + torso together before deciding how to do the arms.

Top Bottom