• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
4v6x1j.jpg
Hmm...

250px-At-st_large_pic.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why does that guy have a baby strapped to his shoulder pad. A baby with a dagger and a skull helmet.

Plz rply

Meteorain

Oh dear Lord it's £18. For just a fucking captain.

Granted they give you a lot of alternative pieces and it looks really good but this is just silly.....Thank god I've already got a Captain model......albeit he has a Lightning Claw and Storm Bolter :(

GW really need to get their shit together. I looked for whether it was metal which might explain it, but no. This is such horrendous fucking pricing, how do they even make money?

BigDes

Why does that guy have a baby strapped to his shoulder pad. A baby with a dagger and a skull helmet.

Plz rply

That is a cherub

What happens there is poor people sell their children to the Mechanicus (or sometimes they just make em in vats) and then the Mechanicus turn them into robots

Baby version of a servo-skull basically

WanderingWind

That is a cherub

What happens there is poor people sell their children to the Mechanicus (or sometimes they just make em in vats) and then the Mechanicus turn them into robots

AHAHAHAHAHA

What. The. Fuck.

"THE EMPRUH NEEDS UR BABIEZ!!!!"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That is a cherub

How fucking nice of everybody.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
That is a cherub

There was an Imperial Governor whose child died at birth so he had the Mechanicus turn the corpse into a cherub. The governor died shortly after and the cherub was his only heir, so there is now an Imperial system ruled by a brain dead flying baby.

Meteorain

Damn I did not realise what a ridiculous rise in cost all the 40k stuff took. No wonder loads of people buy from non-GW sources.

Is Fantasy at least still somewhat cheaper?

GW's minis have always been pretty expensive IMO, even when I started as a kid in '95. My parents sensibly wouldn't buy me any minis, so I saved up and bought them myself ;P In some cases it is getting rather silly now though. These days I just focus on one army for Fantasy (Ogres) and one army for 40K (Necrons), which means most of the time I'm not buying any new minis.

I think if GW keeps putting prices up as much as they typically do, in the short term they may make higher profits from selling at a higher price, but the prices will scare off more and more customers and the volume of sales will probably continue to decrease, eventually leading to less money coming in than before. With fewer fans they'll have fewer people spreading good word about the hobby too - it doesn't seem like a good plan for the long term.

When 3D printers are cheap and complex enough, GW probably shouldn't resist the advance of technology too much and just release licensed blueprints instead.
Sure, they'll lose profits, but it's better than people just straight up pirating things.

Meteorain

Been reading Galaxy in flames (#3 in the Horus Heresy).

I just read THAT BIT (
The Virus Bombing
). Not even Ben Counter's average writing skill could spoil that. In fact, due to the nature of the event I have this amazing vision in my mind's eye of what that scene would look like cinematically.

Just the sheer horror of the spectacle as they watch their fellow men die to such a brutal betrayal. Having to hear their death screams and watch them liquefied and burnt to a crisp whilst they could do nothing.

Whispering Wind: If there's any book you must not skip, it is this one.

Tacitus_

Karakand

What makes Abbnett better than all the other hacks that write this stuff?

The standards here are really low--as a matter of course you will find basic spelling and grammatical errors in Black Library books that cost over $10 in paperback--so someone who can ape James Bond in-universe looks like James fucking Joyce.

He's good at pandering to his readers / fans in subsequent works. (See: my complaint about Prospero Burns a few posts ago.)

He has a take on the universe and sticks to it. If you like that take, there's always more where it came from.

He's not afraid to have his characters do batshit fucking insane stuff. (Eisenhorn vs.
A FUCKING TITAN
anyone?)

His characters can be philosophical, he is no Aaron Dembski-Bowden in this regard, but his characters at least think and have opinions about their experience beyond, "this shit fucking sucks, yo."

JonnyBrad

Just watched the Ultramarines movie due to this thread. Have had it in my collection but never bothered.

Thoughts:

They spent all the budget on hiring famous actors for voices who all subsequently phoned it in. Apart from maybe Sean Pertwee.

The animation looks like Doom 3.

The story was nothing special and it was obvious the
Captain was going to be possessed one.

JonnyBrad

I was going to buy a couple of Space Marines from the GW site just to sit on my desk. Just wondering if they will actually look like they do here;

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/c...t440176a&prodId=prod1630084&rootCatGameStyle=

Or if that's just an example and the ones I'd get would actually be blank and I'd need to paint them myself?

As said above. The miniatures have to be assembled and painted. Also bare in mind a apace marine model is barely an inch tall. Not great for a desk.

Karakand

There was an Imperial Governor whose child died at birth so he had the Mechanicus turn the corpse into a cherub. The governor died shortly after and the cherub was his only heir, so there is now an Imperial system ruled by a brain dead flying baby.

Warhammer 40K: I live for this.

If there was a short story about this, or a few chapters in a book, I have to read it.

f0rk

Warhammer 40K: I live for this.

If there was a short story about this, or a few chapters in a book, I have to read it.

There's something similar in the 3rd Gaunt's Ghost book I think?
Actually maybe not. Was it killer cherubs?

edit: I was wrong, it wasn't cherubs :(
the hive leader dude was in a status tank thing and had servitors that looked like beasts to defend him

WanderingWind

Been reading Galaxy in flames (#3 in the Horus Heresy).

I just read THAT BIT (
The Virus Bombing
). Not even Ben Counter's average writing skill could spoil that. In fact, due to the nature of the event I have this amazing vision in my mind's eye of what that scene would look like cinematically.

Just the sheer horror of the spectacle as they watch their fellow men die to such a brutal betrayal. Having to hear their death screams and watch them liquefied and burnt to a crisp whilst they could do nothing.

Whispering Wind: If there's any book you must not skip, it is this one.

:mad:

I'll go back to it. Started reading Xenos and it's really good. Abnett paints vivid pictures of the world. Loved his description of the tomb world.

RaginRoss

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd enjoy putting them together, but if I had to paint them myself they'd look aboslutely terrible. I have zero artistic ability.

Mindwipe

Separating the miniatures with a sharp knife and chopping some soldier's foot by accident is the worst feeling ever.

Nah. Getting out of bed barefoot and stepping on a 4th Ed Warhammer plastic goblin, with their bolt upright needlepoint spears, is the worst feeling ever.

Damn those things hurt.

shas'la

Anyone order the limited edition versions of the new Space Marine codex?

I missed out on the Ultra one so grabbed an iron hands, still part of Roboute's Dauntless few chapters so its not a bad second choice!

Meteorain

No the worst is definitely when a random part of the model "breaks" off and you have to glue it back on every single fucking time for the rest of your life.

Top Bottom