• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

Oni Jazar

This is the way it should work (if it doesn't do this already). When the XBone hears "Xbox Off" there should be a prompt that says, "The console will shut down in 10 seconds, press any button to cancel."

That's all you need.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This is the way it should work (if it doesn't do this already). When the XBone hears "Xbox Off" there should be a prompt that says, "The console will shut down in 10 seconds, press any button to cancel."

That's all you need.
Still sounds like a nightmare with siblings, in a dorm or a pissed of girl-/boyfriend.

Do you all REALLY think that Microsoft hasn't thought about this? This is not going to be an issue.

So explain why TellMe on Windows Phone is a POS .

Technology that involves filtering external audio, voice/speech/accent recognition are nowhere near infallible. In fact, it's extremely inconsistent. This is true for Apple's Siri and Google as well.

It will be an issue one way or another, by virtue of the technology not being 'there' yet.

Alx

So explain why TellMe on Windows Phone is a POS .

Technology that involves filtering external audio, voice/speech/accent recognition are nowhere near infallible. In fact, it's extremely inconsistent. This is true for Apple's Siri and Google as well.

It will be an issue one way or another, by virtue of the technology not being 'there' yet.

Do you think the technology will magically be "there" one morning and solve all problems all of a sudden ? It all works by iterations. The Xbox One is the next iteration in voice processing, it has dedicated hardware and updated software. You know it will work better than the previous generation and worse than the next.

Do you think the technology will magically be "there" one morning and solve all problems all of a sudden ? It all works by iterations. The Xbox One is the next iteration in voice processing, it has dedicated hardware and updated software. You know it will work better than the previous generation and worse than the next.

Of course it will work better.

My point against Special C's logic was that with the state of the technology as it is right now, MS 'thinking things through' doesn't magically means Kinect wouldn't have its problems, both on the technological side as well as the human side.

Special C

Of course it will work better.

My point against Special C's logic was that with the state of the technology as it is right now, MS 'thinking things through' doesn't magically means Kinect wouldn't have its problems, both on the technological side as well as the human side.

I don't doubt it will have it's share of problems. My point was more to the fact that if they are making Kinect a big part of the system and surely SOMEBODY thought of greifing "Xbox Off" in this way.

Not saying I'm right, but I'm 95% sure I am.

Oni Jazar

Still sounds like a nightmare with siblings, in a dorm or a pissed of girl-/boyfriend.

Why? You push a button and no harm no foul. It doesn't even have to take you out of the game. In fact, it should automatically ignore the request if you are already inputting actions from the controller. E.G. - If the sticks are not straight up then it won't work.

That's all you need.

Wait?!? What???

If you need the controller to confirm the voice command, then why not only use the controller to turn off the console. What's the benefit of using the Kinect if you still need the controller?

Allowing voice commands in an online game is silly anyway. Does anyone want to hear all their teammates issuing voice commands? That right there is a fundamental problem for the Kinect. Voice commands are useless in multiplayer. Also, if you can't use voice commands in multiplayer, then your game needs to be perfectly playable without the Kinect.

Top Bottom