• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rage quits just evolved

Well, hey, new feature: X-BOX OFF disabled in ranked matches. *trollface* Still have to pull the plug, unless it really IS the one... to ragequit.

quoted for new page for you 50 posts per pagers (seriously, change that).

"X-BOX OFF" to become "YES, X-BOX, OFF!"

One word modification, same trollin'? :p

Domstercool

I wonder if there is a reverse for this, as I know you can say "Xbox On" when the connect is plugged in. Do it while someone is watching a important live event and have one of those TVs that changes to the new HDMI channel when it detects a feed. :D

dose

The xbox doesn't listen to the audio it sends out itself, so someone can't just yell XBOX OFF in a MP game and everyone's xbox prompt to shut down
Certainly for the 360 that isn't true at all.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...es-Trouble-for-Viewers-During-Xbox-One-Reveal

also, it's already known that Kinect only listens to whoever is holding the controller and can recognize their face
So how come the Insomniac guy has been having this exact problem, the Kinect responding to someone else voice?

VanWinkle

Seriously, not even as a troll thing, it would be so annoying to have to listen to everyone online shouting their Kinect voice commands. "Xbox, snap Youtube!" "Xbox, record that!" "Xbox, Upload Studio!" etc.

nynt9

in case it wasn't clear: we're using pre-release hardware. the final product won't just turn off on command while you're in a game or watching a movie, you need to confirm it.

I presume it works like:

person: "Xbox Off"

Xbox: "Would you like to turn off the system?"

person: "yes"

so it can still happen, no? Also, wasn't the Kinect 2.0 supposed to eliminate this by voice recognition magic anyway? Saying you can disable it or require confirmation doesn't eliminate the problem of the voice recognition not recognizing someone else's voice as a different person.

Edit: Also, as others pointed out, the prompt popping up could be enough to ruin one's gaming experience anyway, if timed well.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I can't WAIT to go to my friend's house and do this while he's watching Netflix or something lol.

Drek

Beta software bro

Beta console bro.

in case it wasn't clear: we're using pre-release hardware. the final product won't just turn off on command while you're in a game or watching a movie, you need to confirm it.
Won't this make turning off the system more of a chore than a button? I mean, the whole point to Kinect based controls is to make for more fluid and intuitive controls. If we wind up having to confirm everything under the sun this will be way more of a chore than just using a controller.

jwk94

Wait, wasn't the Kinect 2.0 supposed to be able to discern between your voice and the voice of someone else in the room?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Anyone think of that episode of 30 Rock where Jack's voice control remote was messed with by the characters talking on the show on the TV?

Racer1977

So, we are moving to a world where people are texting, messaging, updating and tweeting - rather than voice calls. While in Xbox One's world's, MS think folk want to talk to their console, rather than use button/key presses?

The more you hear, the more it seems like an entire console had been built around gimmicks.

coldcrush

Neo Member
.....Microsoft Day 1 update 99% complete

your friend : 'XBOX OFF'

SlX97ME.gif

So, we are moving to a world where people are texting, messaging, updating and tweeting - rather than voice calls. While in Xbox One's world's, MS think folk want to talk to their console, rather than use button/key presses?

The more you hear, the more it seems like an entire console had been built around gimmicks.

You're comparing two very different things.

Derrick01

Banned
If you can confirm by voice, it doesn't really change anything.

And if you have to confirm with a controller it's totally useless, so really there's no way to win.

Yeah this feature can't really win. Unless you can program it to only recognize your voice, which I doubt it could even do that, then that particular voice command should be disabled.

zugu

Banned
Currently, you also have to confirm the shut down command with "Yes". So "Xbox off" by itself is not enough.

Beta console bro.

Won't this make turning off the system more of a chore than a button? I mean, the whole point to Kinect based controls is to make for more fluid and intuitive controls. If we wind up having to confirm everything under the sun this will be way more of a chore than just using a controller.
This is the ghost of Vista having it's revenge. The damned 'confirm or allow' dialogue box was one of the many banes of that version of Windows.

Wereroku

Since 90% of the online population uses party chat this is a non-issue.
This is an issue even if you don't want to admit it. Microsoft was saying this couldn't happen now we hear it happens quite easily. It suggests that Kinect 2 has problems that we are not being told about.

Iacobellis

Seriously, not even as a troll thing, it would be so annoying to have to listen to everyone online shouting their Kinect voice commands. "Xbox, snap Youtube!" "Xbox, record that!" "Xbox, Upload Studio!" etc.

The videos that come out of this will be hilarious, I can see it now..

Kid in a lobby is AFK, and everyone starts giggling. One of them shouts "XBOX, OFF!", and the rest follow with "YES!" in complete unison.

This is an issue even if you don't want to admit it. Microsoft was saying this couldn't happen now we hear it happens quite easily. It suggests that Kinect 2 has problems that we are not being told about.

Its a "problem" that can't be fixed. Prank/troll/douche/asshole behavior can never be eradicated. Yelling Xbox Off would fall into that category.

It'll be hilarious if the confirmation interrupts the gameplay and the message covers the whole screen, similar to the PS button that renders the game controls and goes to the menu in XMB.

That is also waiting to induce rage, and destroyed kinects.

maybe I'm wrong but I guess this "issue" would have an easy fix, just put an option to enable/disable voice commands for turn on/off the device. that could even be automatically enabled when playing a game (sp or mp)

Wereroku

Its a "problem" that can't be fixed. Prank/troll/douche/asshole behavior can never be eradicated. Yelling Xbox Off would fall into that category.
They said Kinect 2 could tell it was not you talking. I understand it is still in beta but voice differentiation is not a last minute feature add.

coldfoot

Banned
Could be used nicely for games where you have enemies in a level saying "XBOX OFF" and you have to turn down/off your volume to get past that level. See guys, thats innovation!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The worst use of it would be in FIFA, people disconnecting when you are winning is annoying enough, but if the loss is now on you.... madness. I can't believe there won't be a mean to fix this.

Naminator

Banned
It actually sounds more like a rerunning gag that some employees in the studio are doing and it seems like it's getting old LOL.

Anyways, the original Kinect doesn't have this problem, why would the new one have it?

But hey, I guess people need to have a few laughs at MS expense.

Why not "Xbox, Off" followed by a prompt to wave goodbye? It eliminates long range douchiness. And if you have a roommate or family member that is taking the time to do that, they're the idiot for not just pressing the power button which solves their goal of pissing someone else off much quicker.

I thought Microsoft Assured us that this was not possible. That the Xbox could tell who was talking or who was in the room and this wouldn't work. People always joked about someone saying that, "Xbox Off" and shutting someones system down, but I swore Microsoft said it doesn't work that way.

I guess Microsoft was wrong? Or maybe this is the Kinect killer app everyone has been waiting for at launch. The "Xbox Off Game"

Special C

They didn't think though the DRM. =p

I wouldn't equate an entire platform strategy to something like preventing kinect griefing but I guess you do have a bit of a point. Microsoft has made a few mistakes but I don't see something like this slipping through the cracks.

Fox Mulder

won't having to confirm/cancel still interrupt game play or whatever you're doing though?

Tamanon

Banned
won't having to confirm/cancel still interrupt game play or whatever you're doing though?

I bet the voice control/kinect gets disabled after the first COD:Ghosts match. Even a brief interruption in those games or distraction would cause a death.

Top Bottom